Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
TXST getting good press
Texas State Is on the Rise
Apparently there can only be one good team around town
By Joe O'Connell, 12:13PM, Fri. Oct. 4

Here’s a challenge for UT football fans: Your team sucks. They don’t know how to tackle, the coaches will (and should) resort to putting a freshman in at quarterback. The athletic director just quit. This will be a losing season and Mack Brown’s last as head coach. It’s time to turn the dial.

The 3-1 Bobcats open Sunbelt Conference play with the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns at 6pm Saturday on ESPN3, which is mainly an internet thingy. But KNVA, the CW Austin station, has picked the game up for local broadcast. Watch. Become a fan. Here’s the big irony: The Bobcats will be on TV a lot more these days — on the Longhorn Network!

Why bother to watch these newcomers? Though the Austin and San Antonio media largely haven’t noticed or cared, the Texas State Bobcats are good. I mean really good. Their defense knows how to tackle. The coaches DID put a true freshman in at QB last week, and Tyler Jones rocks. There’s a good chance if that trigger had been pulled a weak earlier the Bobcats would have beaten Texas Tech. I kid you not. Texas State needed just enough offense to give its excellent defense a breather. They found it.

Here’s a prediction: Texas State, in its second year as an FBS team (Big Time Football!) will play in a bowl game. Why? Dennis Franchione is doing the right thing in San Marcos.

Here’s the rub for teams clawing their way up to the big leagues of college football: You have to do it with the dregs — junior college transfers, “trouble” players kicked out of the big school. Jones at QB as a true freshman marks a real move past that for Texas State. Jones led Stephenville to the state title last year and got interest from a lot of schools, including Texas Tech. He chose Texas State because they sold him on leading a “new” team into the future.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the Bobcats beat Wyoming last week despite a three-hour rain/lightning delay. Make that they CRUSHED Wyoming 42-21. The same Cowboys team that put a big scare in Nebraska earlier this season. Texas State has almost as many running threats as Texas. Jones ran for 38 yards in his first carry for the Bobcats. Sophomores Robert Lowe and Chris Nutall are hosses, with 141 and 63 yards respectively against Wyoming.

On defense, Texas State has junior Michael Orakpo, who racked up six tackles, four unassisted against the Cowboys. Does that ring a bell, Longhorn fans? Yep, he’s the lil bro of Brian Orakpo, your former All American and current Washington Redskin.

And here’s the thing. While you (and most of the local media) weren’t paying attention, the school that in my mind will always be known as Southwest Texas State has changed more than its name since winning back-to-back Division II national football championships under Jim Wacker in the early Eighties. The university in San Marcos enrolled 35,568 students this fall. That’s more than Texas Tech, way more than Baylor, and not all that many fewer than UT and Texas A&M. Texas State welcomed more than 5,000 new freshmen, and they’re not just all there to party — about half of them were in the top 25 percent of their high school classes. But they haven’t completely lost their partying skills and tailgating at the enlarged Bobcat Stadium is killing many a brain cell.

The Austin daily made a small concession to the Bobcats this year by including them in their weekly football predictions chart. Not a single sportswriter there gave the 10+ point underdogs a chance of beating Wyoming. And frankly, they don’t seem to really believe Texas State has joined Big Time Football. Consider Kirk Bohls’ deadline story on the Wyoming game filed when the game was 7-7 and in the midst of a three-hour rain delay: "It's not that 2-1 Texas State is a bad football team…" and his final one: "…milestone victory after a convincing 42-21 upset of a solid Wyoming to stamp Texas State as a team on the rise."

Yes, the Bobcats are not a “bad team.” Texas is a bad team. How about watching a winner on the rise? Start by repeating after me: “Eat ‘em up, Cats!”

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/spo...-the-rise/
10-05-2013 02:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
RE: TXST getting good press
(10-05-2013 02:12 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  Texas State Is on the Rise

Here’s a challenge for UT football fans: Your team sucks. They don’t know how to tackle, the coaches will (and should) resort to putting a freshman in at quarterback. The athletic director just quit. This will be a losing season and Mack Brown’s last as head coach. It’s time to turn the dial.

The 3-1 Bobcats open Sunbelt Conference play with the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns at 6pm Saturday on ESPN3, which is mainly an internet thingy. But KNVA, the CW Austin station, has picked the game up for local broadcast. Watch. Become a fan. Here’s the big irony: The Bobcats will be on TV a lot more these days — on the Longhorn Network!

Why bother to watch these newcomers? Though the Austin and San Antonio media largely haven’t noticed or cared, the Texas State Bobcats are good. I mean really good. Their defense knows how to tackle. The coaches DID put a true freshman in at QB last week, and Tyler Jones rocks. There’s a good chance if that trigger had been pulled a weak earlier the Bobcats would have beaten Texas Tech. I kid you not. Texas State needed just enough offense to give its excellent defense a breather. They found it.

Here’s a prediction: Texas State, in its second year as an FBS team (Big Time Football!) will play in a bowl game. Why? Dennis Franchione is doing the right thing in San Marcos.

Here’s the rub for teams clawing their way up to the big leagues of college football: You have to do it with the dregs — junior college transfers, “trouble” players kicked out of the big school. Jones at QB as a true freshman marks a real move past that for Texas State. Jones led Stephenville to the state title last year and got interest from a lot of schools, including Texas Tech. He chose Texas State because they sold him on leading a “new” team into the future.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the Bobcats beat Wyoming last week despite a three-hour rain/lightning delay. Make that they CRUSHED Wyoming 42-21. The same Cowboys team that put a big scare in Nebraska earlier this season. Texas State has almost as many running threats as Texas. Jones ran for 38 yards in his first carry for the Bobcats. Sophomores Robert Lowe and Chris Nutall are hosses, with 141 and 63 yards respectively against Wyoming.

On defense, Texas State has junior Michael Orakpo, who racked up six tackles, four unassisted against the Cowboys. Does that ring a bell, Longhorn fans? Yep, he’s the lil bro of Brian Orakpo, your former All American and current Washington Redskin.

And here’s the thing. While you (and most of the local media) weren’t paying attention, the school that in my mind will always be known as Southwest Texas State has changed more than its name since winning back-to-back Division II national football championships under Jim Wacker in the early Eighties. The university in San Marcos enrolled 35,568 students this fall. That’s more than Texas Tech, way more than Baylor, and not all that many fewer than UT and Texas A&M. Texas State welcomed more than 5,000 new freshmen, and they’re not just all there to party — about half of them were in the top 25 percent of their high school classes. But they haven’t completely lost their partying skills and tailgating at the enlarged Bobcat Stadium is killing many a brain cell.

The Austin daily made a small concession to the Bobcats this year by including them in their weekly football predictions chart. Not a single sportswriter there gave the 10+ point underdogs a chance of beating Wyoming. And frankly, they don’t seem to really believe Texas State has joined Big Time Football. Consider Kirk Bohls’ deadline story on the Wyoming game filed when the game was 7-7 and in the midst of a three-hour rain delay: "It's not that 2-1 Texas State is a bad football team…" and his final one: "…milestone victory after a convincing 42-21 upset of a solid Wyoming to stamp Texas State as a team on the rise."

Yes, the Bobcats are not a “bad team.” Texas is a bad team. How about watching a winner on the rise? Start by repeating after me: “Eat ‘em up, Cats!”

txst is fun to watch. I like what they are doing. ut needed 2 blown calls by the refs at the end of that Iowa state game to win. mack just needs to move over to that ad job and hire someone new to coach the football team. when a school like ut with unlimited money and absolutely the best facilities and the ability to sign the best of the best recruits looks this bad week after week it can only be the coaching. kinda like the cowboys...
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 07:32 AM by runamuck.)
10-05-2013 07:30 AM
Advertisement

nineoneo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Them
(10-05-2013 07:30 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 02:12 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  Texas State Is on the Rise

txst is fun to watch. I like what they are doing. ut needed 2 blown calls by the refs at the end of that Iowa state game to win. mack just needs to move over to that ad job and hire someone new to coach the football team. when a school like ut with unlimited money and absolutely the best facilities and the ability to sign the best of the best recruits looks this bad week after week it can only be the coaching. kinda like the cowboys...

Believe it or not I actually want Mack Brown to stay... I love watching UT go to the crapper.. That way Texas tech & Baylor get all the better players.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 08:28 AM by nineoneo.)
10-05-2013 08:27 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Texas State has played great I look for them to be ranked when they play Idaho .
Most of the teams on Idaho's schedule are better than pre season expectations .
So far our opponents are 11-4 with the stronger teams still left to play.
Texas State has great potential the name change is huge going forward .
10-05-2013 09:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.