Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bahamas Bowl and other bowl news
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Bahamas Bowl and other bowl news
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hamas-bowl

The Bahamas Bowl will make an official announcement on Oct. 14 and include reps from 5 conferences, MWC, MAC, SBC, CUSA, and American.

Quote:Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson confirmed the announcement is for a six-year bowl-game agreement with the Mountain West as a backup player, participating "maybe once in six years." Conference USA and the MAC are believed to be spearheading the game and will be primary participants.

Quote:The Bahamas announcement could spark a bowl rotation among the five conferences across several sites. These conferences are starting their own bowls to avoid the clumsy at-large selection process if so-called power conferences can't fill all their spots.

Interesting.

And then this:

Quote:The Beat of Sports ‏@thebeatofsports 19m
Look for bowl alliance between game in Bahamas, Boca Raton, Montgomery and Marlins Park(Miami)..non power leagues involved..ESPN owns bowls
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:51 AM by CommuterBob.)
10-04-2013 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Bahamas Bowl and other bowl news
So every FBS player at schools in those conferences will need to have an active passport?
10-04-2013 11:01 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-04-2013 09:50 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hamas-bowl

The Bahamas Bowl will make an official announcement on Oct. 14 and include reps from 5 conferences, MWC, MAC, SBC, CUSA, and American.

Quote:Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson confirmed the announcement is for a six-year bowl-game agreement with the Mountain West as a backup player, participating "maybe once in six years." Conference USA and the MAC are believed to be spearheading the game and will be primary participants.

Quote:The Bahamas announcement could spark a bowl rotation among the five conferences across several sites. These conferences are starting their own bowls to avoid the clumsy at-large selection process if so-called power conferences can't fill all their spots.

Interesting.

And then this:

Quote:The Beat of Sports ‏@thebeatofsports 19m
Look for bowl alliance between game in Bahamas, Boca Raton, Montgomery and Marlins Park(Miami)..non power leagues involved..ESPN owns bowls

If the AAC's goal was to own the Marlins Bowl (after what happened with the Pinstripe Bowl, this certainly should have been the AAC's goal), then it looks like they have lost yet another round to the evil empire. As a side note, I believe ArkStfan said this type of G-5 alliance was in the works months ago. Nice call. If I remember correctly, he said that the AAC chose not ot be part of the pool early in the process, but reluctantly showed more interest later in the game.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 11:59 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Bowl Pool: Montgomery, Bahamas, Boca Raton, Marlins

The AAC, MAC and CUSA are all scheduled for 2 slots. The SBC 1 slot and the MWC from the sounds of it will be in about 1 slot by backing up a few of these bowl games.

The pool will be used for bottom tier G5 selections based on the way its configured.

The MAC is still looking for a 5th bowl tie-in. I can see Indianapolis or St. Louis as possible options here vs. a low pick from the SEC/B1G.
10-04-2013 12:24 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
And the last hope at Aresco not attaining total bowl failure appears to have finally flamed out. Marlins Bowl appears to be completely worthless and now the reward for winning the AAC and missing the Access Bowl appears to be the Military Bowl.
10-04-2013 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
My basic position from Day 1 was that the 5 NonBCS conferences had a better chance to improve their status by coordination and cooperation. Public sympathy is NonBCS's greatest tool. This needed to be done at the time of the BCS changes put into effect, that is, the 4 team national playoff. Instead, the 5 NonBCS conferences were consumed with expansion in a frivolous goal of being the most powerful NonBCS conference and, therefore, somehow, be included in BCS. It was a delusion from the git go.

So, finally, there is now some cooperation at the bowl level...but its too little, too late. Various NonBCS teams will be selected by primarily who is the most close geographical school to each particular NonBCS bowl, obviously for attendance sake.

The NonBCS conference who came out way ahead of expectations was CUSA, who will probably end up play AAC and MWC in a bunch of bowls, given CUSA's east/west geography.
10-07-2013 04:14 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-07-2013 04:14 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  My basic position from Day 1 was that the 5 NonBCS conferences had a better chance to improve their status by coordination and cooperation. Public sympathy is NonBCS's greatest tool. This needed to be done at the time of the BCS changes put into effect, that is, the 4 team national playoff. Instead, the 5 NonBCS conferences were consumed with expansion in a frivolous goal of being the most powerful NonBCS conference and, therefore, somehow, be included in BCS. It was a delusion from the git go.

So, finally, there is now some cooperation at the bowl level...but its too little, too late. Various NonBCS teams will be selected by primarily who is the most close geographical school to each particular NonBCS bowl, obviously for attendance sake.

The NonBCS conference who came out way ahead of expectations was CUSA, who will probably end up play AAC and MWC in a bunch of bowls, given CUSA's east/west geography.

They didn't cooperate because there was really nothing to gain. This isn't even really cooperation. It's more like a mutual backup system for the worst 3 bowls in all of FBS that will showcase the 6 least attractive bowl qualified teams in FBS. The only thing worse would have been for the G5 to do some lame FCS playoff to determine who the 65th best team in FBS is. The goal for every G-5 conference was to get sign bowls with P-5 opponents. There was limited G-5 success in that area.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 06:54 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-07-2013 04:38 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
So this is how the SBC will get a 4th bowl tie in? Interesting.
10-07-2013 05:41 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Is FAU expected to see revenue from this game?
10-07-2013 09:28 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(10-04-2013 08:01 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  And the last hope at Aresco not attaining total bowl failure appears to have finally flamed out. Marlins Bowl appears to be completely worthless and now the reward for winning the AAC and missing the Access Bowl appears to be the Military Bowl.

03-lmfao03-puke

this is just catastrophic failure

this conference just sucks....
10-07-2013 09:40 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(10-04-2013 08:01 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  And the last hope at Aresco not attaining total bowl failure appears to have finally flamed out. Marlins Bowl appears to be completely worthless and now the reward for winning the AAC and missing the Access Bowl appears to be the Military Bowl.

versus ACC #10 if none are taken by the playoffs.
10-07-2013 11:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.