Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I think this 16 team Eastern conference will exist in the near future.
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Exclamation I think this 16 team Eastern conference will exist in the near future.
I think this Eastern conference will exist in the near future. The Western schools Tulane, SMU, Houston, and Tulsa will leave.

Northern Division
UMass
Connecticut
Buffalo
Army
Temple
Marshall
Cincinnati
Northern Illinois
Southern Division
Navy
Old Dominion
Western Kentucky
East Carolina
Middle Tennessee
Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida
10-03-2013 11:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
RE: I think this 16 team Eastern conference will exist in the near future.
(10-03-2013 11:37 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I think this Eastern conference will exist in the near future. The Western schools Tulane, SMU, Houston, and Tulsa will leave.

Northern Division
UMass
Connecticut
Buffalo
Army
Temple
Marshall
Cincinnati
Northern Illinois
Southern Division
Navy
Old Dominion
Western Kentucky
East Carolina
Middle Tennessee
Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

It is just like mixing kids and adults to play together. Why would UConn and Cincinnati want to do that? I think they would rather form a new Big 8 with round robin schedule:

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 12:01 AM by ArQ.)
10-04-2013 12:00 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-04-2013 12:00 AM)ArQ Wrote:  It is just like mixing kids and adults to play together. Why would UConn and Cincinnati want to do that? I think they would rather form a new Big 8 with round robin schedule:

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

Nah, if they aren't going with 12(+) for a conference championship game then IMO they go at least with nine, maybe even ten schools. Eight schools means only seven conference games thus the need for five OOC games. As a fan of two former BE schools you know how hard that was to schedule each year.

IMO if they go the non-CCG they go with ten schools for nine conference games.

UConn
Cincy
ECU
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
WKU
ODU
Marshall

IMO the G5 schools would be well served to get together and work out a sensible geographic division of their member schools rather than having the hodge-podge overlapping of the footprints just muddies the water IMO and is always going to make it hard for the average fan out there to differentiate the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt from each other.
10-04-2013 12:37 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(10-04-2013 12:37 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 12:00 AM)ArQ Wrote:  It is just like mixing kids and adults to play together. Why would UConn and Cincinnati want to do that? I think they would rather form a new Big 8 with round robin schedule:

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

Nah, if they aren't going with 12(+) for a conference championship game then IMO they go at least with nine, maybe even ten schools. Eight schools means only seven conference games thus the need for five OOC games. As a fan of two former BE schools you know how hard that was to schedule each year.

UConn
Cincy
ECU
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
WKU
ODU
Marshall

IMO the G5 schools would be well served to get together and work out a sensible geographic division of their member schools rather than having the hodge-podge overlapping of the footprints just muddies the water IMO and is always going to make it hard for the average fan out there to differentiate the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt from each other.

04-cheers
10-04-2013 12:54 AM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
(10-04-2013 12:54 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

UConn
Cincy
ECU
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
WKU
ODU
Marshall

04-cheers

Houston would not be left out of any future 'best of the rest' conference. We are arguably the best program outside of the 5 major conferences.
10-04-2013 12:57 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 12:57 AM)CoogNellie Wrote:  

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

UConn
Cincy
ECU
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
WKU
ODU
Marshall

04-cheers

Houston would not be left out of any future 'best of the rest' conference. We are arguably the best program outside of the 5 major conferences.

His premise is that the western most schools "leave".
10-04-2013 01:26 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Conference realignment doesn't proceed like kids swapping playing cards ... for any supposed conference, there has to be a process to get there based on conferences making offers to schools and schools accepting those offers. I don't see any real world process that brings about the above realignment.
10-04-2013 01:26 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-04-2013 01:26 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Conference realignment doesn't proceed like kids swapping playing cards ... for any supposed conference, there has to be a process to get there based on conferences making offers to schools and schools accepting those offers. I don't see any real world process that brings about the above realignment.

I feel there is a real chance in the near future after a few years of the P5/G5 system the G5 conferences are going to realize they are hurting themselves by overlapping so much and will benefit by taking a page from the MAC's playbook and being more regional.
10-04-2013 01:46 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-03-2013 11:37 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I think this Eastern conference will exist in the near future. The Western schools Tulane, SMU, Houston, and Tulsa will leave.

Where are we going? And who's going to pay our $10M exit fee?
10-04-2013 01:50 AM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC

Northern Division
UMass
Connecticut
Buffalo
Army
Temple
Marshall
Cincinnati
Northern Illinois
Southern Division
Navy
Old Dominion
Western Kentucky
East Carolina
Middle Tennessee
Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

Obviously your trolling and drinking again
10-04-2013 06:39 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I suspect that Cincy and UConn would rather do business with Charlotte than ECU.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
10-04-2013 07:36 AM
Advertisement

Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
No way Middle Tenn,Old Dominion,Western Kentucky.
10-04-2013 07:42 AM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU / BEast

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

UConn
Cincy
ECU
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
WKU
ODU
Marshall

04-cheers

University of Houston and Southern Methodist will be going to the PAC; probably with Nevada and New Mexico. Big12 ends up adding BYU / Colorado St. / Utah St / Tulane
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 08:44 AM by SMUfrat.)
10-04-2013 08:43 AM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(10-04-2013 08:43 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  

Connecticut
Army
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina or Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

UConn
Cincy
ECU
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
WKU
ODU
Marshall

04-cheers

University of Houston and Southern Methodist will be going to the PAC; probably with Nevada and New Mexico. Big12 ends up adding BYU / Colorado St. / Utah St / Tulane
No way on the PAC 12 group
The only one to B12 is BYU
10-04-2013 08:50 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Let's say the Big XII is told by the TV networks to get to 12-14 teams for a CCG. Furthermore, let's also assume that TV money to each member will not go down as a result of things.

...why would the Big XII want Tulane? I'd LOVE to take a few road trips to UT-Austin, but I never understood the logic behind sending Tulane to the Big XII.

I think SMU and UH make more sense as Big XII adds than Tulane does. The Big XII has never shown any substantial interest in going to the Deep South for a football team. As a matter of fact, there are more reasons for the PAC-12 to go after Tulane than there are for the Big XII to go after Tulane.
10-04-2013 08:53 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think tulane makes more sense than SMU, no reason for the big 12 to take smu. THey got dallas covered with tcu, texas, texas tech, ou, etc. If they want an instate team, only houston makes some sense. Tulane works for academics, baseball, new orleans road trip and a bridge if they brought in UCF or usf. If i were running the big 12, byu and colorado state would get spots 11 and 12, than i would spilt ou and texas into divisions.

Big 12
A: Texas, Tex Tech, TCU, Baylor, WVU, BYU

B: OU, OK state, KU, KSU, ISU, Col state

i like jumping to 14 too, move BYU to the B division and add 2 from USF, UCF, Tulane, UConn and Cincy to the A division, i wouldn't add any more texas school's though.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:07 AM by bluesox.)
10-04-2013 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 01:46 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 01:26 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Conference realignment doesn't proceed like kids swapping playing cards ... for any supposed conference, there has to be a process to get there based on conferences making offers to schools and schools accepting those offers. I don't see any real world process that brings about the above realignment.

I feel there is a real chance in the near future after a few years of the P5/G5 system the G5 conferences are going to realize they are hurting themselves by overlapping so much and will benefit by taking a page from the MAC's playbook and being more regional.

Why? So they can get a massive contract like the MAC's and have huge attendance numbers from traveling fans like the MAC? Basically, the MAC's geographic model (using only geography as a basis for membership) isn't any better than using markets as the primary membership criteria. In fact, the MAC and the previous version of the Sunbelt were good models of regional geographic conferences and both have TV contracts that are worse than the more spread out leagues with attendance that is no better.

In my opinion, its more important that schools share a conference with universities of similar means, media value, and commitment to athletics. Just becuase a school is close doesn't in and of itself make them a good conference mate. Texas A&M and Sam Houston State are less than an hours drive from one another. Should the SEC add Sam Houston State? Of course not. There is more to these decisions than simply looking at a map.

The MAC works because they are geographically tight AND have similar means along with a generally similar level of commitment to athletics (might be an exception or two here, but there always is).
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:23 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 09:13 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(10-04-2013 08:53 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Let's say the Big XII is told by the TV networks to get to 12-14 teams for a CCG. Furthermore, let's also assume that TV money to each member will not go down as a result of things.

...why would the Big XII want Tulane? I'd LOVE to take a few road trips to UT-Austin, but I never understood the logic behind sending Tulane to the Big XII.

It would be a bridge to either UCF or USF and possibly both....
10-04-2013 09:18 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The NCAA isn't going to force any conference to expand. If it tried, D4 would happen soon afterward - without any NCAA involvement...

But nice try guys...
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:49 AM by bitcruncher.)
10-04-2013 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
My preference would be a ten team league with crossover rivals below

UMass-UConn
East Carolina-Army
Temple-Navy
Cincinnati-Memphis
UCF-South Florida
10-04-2013 10:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.