Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
John Beilein to stay at WVU
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
John Beilein to stay at WVU
Media just announced it accrossed the state...sounds like the buyout was just too high for NC State....now Coach has some major damage control to do trying to convince folks across the state he really cares about the University and the bball program

-- its been one of the rolercoaster days for WVU fans...think I am going to get a couple of beers and watch a DVD of last yrs sugar bowl... :drinky2:

Jackson
04-26-2006 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

I don't think he has any damage control to do. He said he wasn't going to talk about his career period. He didn't. I don't see that as a problem.
04-26-2006 06:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

GREAT NEWS! 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana
04-26-2006 07:18 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I think as fans we sometimes forget that coaching is a business, and these guys are trying to earn the best living they possibly can. I don't have a problem with coaches pursuing more money. Heck, don't we do that in our careers?
04-26-2006 07:58 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU

I don't either and I know my Tiger team will have to put up with this year in and year out. It is a good problem to have. Glad to see Beilein turn down NC State. They have a lot of fans that didn't realize they had a great coach.
04-26-2006 08:53 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:Heck, don't we do that in our careers?
We don't have several hundred thousand people that live and die with our career decisions (well I don't at least).

Really now, at what point is it just being greedy? Will your life be that much better making 2 million instead of 1?

And to top it off, we now have a coach who doesn't want to be here. I would have rather he left.
04-26-2006 08:59 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

This is one of those "Be Careful What You Wish For" scenarios.

There are a LOT of hard feelings and pissed off people in Morgantown. It's widely believed that Beilein would have taken the Indiana job had they been able to work that out, as well as the NC State job. Folks who are close to the program are not happy about this at all.

He's a lame-duck in the minds of many, now. He will need to change that perception if he wants to win back the fan base - - - if he even cares to.

It would have been better for WVU if State had been able to bring him in; then we could have gotten someone who wants to be at WVU.
04-26-2006 09:05 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

WVU was smart to lock him up with a high buyout. Keeping Dixon and Beilein in the BE was good for the conference.
04-26-2006 10:25 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:He's a lame-duck in the minds of many, now. He will need to change that perception if he wants to win back the fan base - - - if he even cares to.

-- exactly....but I don't know how one goes about winning back the fan base....there are a lot of people around the state who are very angery....can't tell you how many times this week I have heard things like "Coach Nehlen played for two national titles and didn't pull this $hit".... or " He might as well leave now. I want a coach who wants to be at WV"

Jackson
04-27-2006 05:31 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:He's a lame-duck in the minds of many, now. He will need to change that perception if he wants to win back the fan base - - - if he even cares to.

-- exactly....but I don't know how one goes about winning back the fan base....there are a lot of people around the state who are very angery....can't tell you how many times this week I have heard things like "Coach Nehlen played for two national titles and didn't pull this $hit".... or " He might as well leave now. I want a coach who wants to be at WV"

Jackson
Actually, early in Nehlen's career he pondered leaving WVU a couple of times. He almost took one job, but I forget which school it was. But once he and his family sunk their roots in Morgantown he quit entertaining thoughts of going after greener pastures, and after 5 or 6 years those offers quit coming around. Beilein may come to the same decision, but then again he may not. Nehlen's kids were in elementary school, while Beilein's is going to be a graduate assistant coach. The situation is a bit different.

I'm not mad at Beilein. This society does not encourage loyalty, honesty, integrity, or any of those other old fashioned ideals. Coach Beilein is merely following the rules laid out by society. The fact that there are rabid fans who devote their lives around the fact that Beilein is WVU's coach and any thought that he could leave them drives them insane with anger is their problem, not his. I hope he stays, but the game is what the world has made it. Who are we to complain when the rules work against us. If we don't like it we should either change the rules, or become better players of the game.
04-27-2006 02:05 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies

Congrats, 'eers!!!! 02-13-banana

As you can well imagine, anytime one of our neighbors to the west doesn't get their way (as they expect to), it just tickles us Pirates purple..... ;-)
04-27-2006 02:36 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Well, Huggy Bear played the "keep the options open" game every year. And Waco said it best:

WacoBearcat Wrote:I think as fans we sometimes forget that coaching is a business, and these guys are trying to earn the best living they possibly can. I don't have a problem with coaches pursuing more money. Heck, don't we do that in our careers?

Any man with a family wants the best situation possible. Everything else is second place.
04-27-2006 11:37 PM
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI

As Mountaineer fans I think we should quickly get over any hard feelings and be glad he chose to stay at WVU instead of going to NC State. He chose what appears to be tough situation with the team losing 5 top seniors. It will take some effort to put the new team together.
04-28-2006 07:49 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

LaRue777 Wrote:As Mountaineer fans I think we should quickly get over any hard feelings and be glad he chose to stay at WVU instead of going to NC State. He chose what appears to be tough situation with the team losing 5 top seniors. It will take some effort to put the new team together.
He did it before. I'm sure he can do it again. It looks like we have some pretty good talent coming in next year. Jonnie West will most likely be redshirted, but it looks there are a couple of long range bombers coming in.
04-28-2006 01:41 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

nflsucks Wrote:
Quote:Heck, don't we do that in our careers?
We don't have several hundred thousand people that live and die with our career decisions (well I don't at least).

Really now, at what point is it just being greedy? Will your life be that much better making 2 million instead of 1?

And to top it off, we now have a coach who doesn't want to be here. I would have rather he left.

First, those several hundred thousands need to be told college basketball isn't life or death. You make decisions that is best for you and your family and not fans.

Secondly, yes his life would be that much better making 2 mil to 1 mil.

Finally, these actions by Beilien should not be looked at as him not wanting to be at WVU but instead financial leverage. You can never be too secured with your job because I guarantee you if he was to do a bad job next year some would be calling for his head.
05-01-2006 04:38 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:Finally, these actions by Beilien should not be looked at as him not wanting to be at WVU but instead financial leverage.
When you are willing to pay 1.5 million of a 3 million dollar buyout clause out of your own pocket I'm thinking he wants OUT.

He would have been making a very similar amount of money at NCSU when you consider the payout, and the man is already 53, he will either retire at WVU or his next job. If it were going to be NC State, the monetary gain would have been minimal.

Quote:You can never be too secured with your job because I guarantee you if he was to do a bad job next year some would be calling for his head.
He certainly won't do what he did the past two years, I guarantee that, and yes people will be calling for his head. Not so certain those people would be calling for his head were it not for this fiasco though.

Quote:First, those several hundred thousands need to be told college basketball isn't life or death. You make decisions that is best for you and your family and not fans.
Spare me the moral lecture, what I said about the live/die thing was in jest. And I'm sorry if you really see the lifestyle of a 1 millionaire as being that much different from being a 2 millionaire. I guess I don't. And in reality the money would have been much less than a million dollars.

All I have to go on are the repeated reports that it was the buyout clause that kept him here. I haven't read a darn thing about his family being unhappy, or his family being in dire need of an extra hundred thousand dollars. If I ever learn that his family was unhappy and that's why he wanted out of WVU I'll be the first to apologize, but right now all I see is a man who was willing to spend 1.5 freaking million dollars to get out of town. If he wants out that bad I want him out too.
05-01-2006 05:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

If you want him out, then you really don't have the best interests of the WVU basketball program in mind. You are talking from emotion and ignorance alone.
05-01-2006 06:08 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I suppose we are all talking from ignorance then because none of us know exactly what went on.

I'm glad he has to be here at least one more year, since he'd probably be the best man to rebuild this group considering he recruited all these guys to play his system, and I hope that we can mend these fences, but if John doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here. Period.

Quote:then you really don't have the best interests of the WVU basketball program in mind.
I want the best for WVU basketball and you know that. I'm sorry that you and I don't agree on what's best for WVU basketball, but that doesn't mean I want the program to collapse out of spite.
05-01-2006 06:12 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

nflsucks Wrote:
Quote:First, those several hundred thousands need to be told college basketball isn't life or death. You make decisions that is best for you and your family and not fans.
Spare me the moral lecture, what I said about the live/die thing was in jest. And I'm sorry if you really see the lifestyle of a 1 millionaire as being that much different from being a 2 millionaire. I guess I don't. And in reality the money would have been much less than a million dollars.

Definitely not trying to give you a moral lecture. And I would assume neither one of us are millionaires so we really wouldn't know if there is a difference is lifestyles when making 1 mil or 2 mil. But I think we could agree on the fact that it is more financially security making 2 mil a year compared to 1 mil.

You're always going to try to make more money when the opportunity presents itself. Whether or not you think that is being greedy is definitely your opinion and you're entitled to that.
05-02-2006 11:03 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

nflsucks Wrote:I want the best for WVU basketball and you know that. I'm sorry that you and I don't agree on what's best for WVU basketball, but that doesn't mean I want the program to collapse out of spite.
I didn't think you did. But I do think you tend to fly off when you get angry. I guess it's just easy for us old farts to see. ;-)
05-02-2006 04:33 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.