Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Navy-AFA game could be cancelled this week
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Navy-AFA game could be cancelled this week
http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/naval...90864.html

Because of the government shutdown.

Quote:Garnhart explained that upper-class cadets at the Air Force Academy are considered military personnel, which means they could be subject to travel restrictions under the shutdown.
10-01-2013 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Navy-AFA game could be cancelled this week
That blows.
10-01-2013 09:53 AM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
The government shouldn't be funding them to play football anyway. Don't they have boosters and television contracts to pay for their athletics departments?
10-01-2013 10:09 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Well finally we have something important enough to get the two sides to work together.
10-01-2013 10:10 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
If only our politicians were held as accountable as our college football coaches.
10-01-2013 10:22 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-01-2013 10:09 AM)4x4hokies Wrote:  The government shouldn't be funding them to play football anyway. Don't they have boosters and television contracts to pay for their athletics departments?

I don't think it'd matter in this case. It's more the status of the players(and I would guess coaches as well) and the rules on travel when there is a government shutdown like this.
10-01-2013 10:23 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(10-01-2013 10:09 AM)4x4hokies Wrote:  The government shouldn't be funding them to play football anyway. Don't they have boosters and television contracts to pay for their athletics departments?

I'm pretty sure these things do cover some of the athletic expenses. That being said even if they were covered 100% by ticket revenue, booster donations and media revenue I'd imagine the shutdown would still apply travel restrictions.
10-01-2013 10:29 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(10-01-2013 10:29 AM)brista21 Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure these things do cover some of the athletic expenses. That being said even if they were covered 100% by ticket revenue, booster donations and media revenue I'd imagine the shutdown would still apply travel restrictions.

If I remember correctly, none of the academies have athletic departments in the red because they don't fund all the sports (and don't have title 9 to worry about). Therefore there is no public funds going to the athletic departments *outside* of possibly upkeep for the facilities.
10-01-2013 10:34 AM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 14m
Today's Air Force press conference w/Coach Troy Calhoun & players cancelled because of government shutdown
10-01-2013 10:48 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(10-01-2013 10:48 AM)4x4hokies Wrote:  Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 14m
Today's Air Force press conference w/Coach Troy Calhoun & players cancelled because of government shutdown

This is because that is considered non-essential. Doesn't mean that public funds went to support it.
10-01-2013 10:55 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...n/2901611/

Quote:Thursday appears to be the drop-dead date to make a call, a person with knowledge of the decision process told USA TODAY Sports. That person also said if the shutdown lasted through the weekend the game likely would be postponed.

If that happens, both teams have room at the end of the season. Navy is off from Nov. 22 until Dec. 14, when it plays Army. Air Force concludes its season Nov. 30. The Mountain West is debuting a conference championship game this year. It is scheduled for the following week, but Air Force already is 0-4 in the league.

So postponed, but not necessarily outright cancelled. And we''l know for sure on Thursday.
10-01-2013 11:00 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

The government pays the full cost of attendance for all athletes, so their scholarship expense is zero. With no scholarship expense, ticket revenues, TV, Bowl and NCAA money should provide plenty of funds for coaches' salaries, travel, etc., particularly because the service academies are pretty good draws.

Is Army-BC affected? If not, is it because Army can bus to Boston?
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 11:34 AM by orangefan.)
10-01-2013 11:31 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
I was under the impression that the athletic departments of the academies had to be self supporting and received no governmental funding. If so, then this is just a political move to turn up the heat. The commanders of the academies cant disobey a direct order. However, if its true that the athletic departments are fully self supporting, pressure may build to allow it to get played. I wonder if the academies could get around the travel restriction by granting the upper classmen weekend leave.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 11:36 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-01-2013 11:34 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(10-01-2013 11:34 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I was under the impression that the athletic departments of the academies had to be self supporting and received no governmental funding. If so, then this is just a political move to turn up the heat. The commanders of the academies cant disobey a direct order. However, if its true that the athletic departments are fully self supporting, pressure may build to allow it to get played. I wonder if the academies could get around the travel restriction by placing the upper classmen on weekend leave.

There are associated costs that were certainly eaten by the schools. Such as contracting and accounting that takes care of the hotels, flights, etc., for the players.
10-01-2013 11:36 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
"Navy release: Department of Defense suspends all intercollegiate competitions at service academies due to shutdown."

https://twitter.com/CFTalk/status/385071598371233792

All sports are suspended for all service academies indefinitely.
10-01-2013 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I'd almost think with what Terry just posted, if it doesn't get resolved today, there won't be a game on Saturday.
10-01-2013 11:51 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
The Athletic departments are not tax payer funded. But travel for the SA is no different than it would be for your regular service member, which is taxpayer funded. The game is going to be cancelled since this won't be resolved before Friday morning.
10-01-2013 12:03 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
Since both teams are academies--if the cost of travel is less than the games ticket, concession, and media income (which Im sure is the case)--then the government actually loses money by not playing the game. This is a perfect example of why I'm just fine if the government stays shut down forever. The whole thing has literally become too stupid and dysfunctional to give a multi trillion dollar budget to each year.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 12:08 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-01-2013 12:06 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(10-01-2013 11:34 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I was under the impression that the athletic departments of the academies had to be self supporting and received no governmental funding. If so, then this is just a political move to turn up the heat. The commanders of the academies cant disobey a direct order. However, if its true that the athletic departments are fully self supporting, pressure may build to allow it to get played. I wonder if the academies could get around the travel restriction by granting the upper classmen weekend leave.

The academies have the single largest cost of athletic departments already covered - scholarships. The expenses for the academies' athletics is pretty much only to cover staff, travel, facilities (and some of those are probably covered, too), and equipment. It's a far cry from what other departments have to cover.
10-01-2013 12:33 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-01-2013 12:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Since both teams are academies--if the cost of travel is less than the games ticket, concession, and media income (which Im sure is the case)--then the government actually loses money by not playing the game. This is a perfect example of why I'm just fine if the government stays shut down forever. The whole thing has literally become too stupid and dysfunctional to give a multi trillion dollar budget to each year.

Welcome to America.

They can't spend the money required because it is the movement of personel to a different duty station. The fact that doing so would be unprofitable doesn't matter because the funds flow through different accounts.

I hate the whole semi-shut-down crapola anyway.

If you are going to shut down, freaking shut down and cease all operations of all kinds. Do that and you never play this game again.
10-01-2013 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.