Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bball Non-conf schedule analysis
Bookmark and Share
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Bball Non-conf schedule analysis
Not sure I like the vibe regarding UC football lately. Now that the Munchie vs Kay debate is over, there are hardly any posts about football on this board. I realize that this was a bye week, but I get the feeling that the effects of this conf/schedule is starting to show already.

So, let's change gears. Speaking of schedules, unlike football, one thing that differs in Bball is that you can upgrade your schedule, regardless of what conference you play in, and do it quickly. So in light of that, I noticed they rated the non-conference schedules of all the Bball teams. Below are the comments for UC. Hopefully, Cronin will beef up the non-conf sched since he can no longer use the "We play in the Big East" excuse:

In comparison, here is also XU. Funny how we beef up their schedule, but not vice versa:

CINCINNATI

Toughest: at New Mexico (Dec. 7)
Next toughest: NC State (Nov. 12), Xavier (Dec. 14), Pittsburgh (Dec. 17 in New York), Nebraska (Dec. 28)
The rest: North Carolina Central (Nov. 8), Appalachian State (Nov. 16), Campbell (Nov. 20), UMass Lowell (Nov. 26), Kennesaw State (Nov. 29), Middle Tennessee State (Dec. 21), Chicago State (Dec. 23)

Toughness scale (1-10): 5 -- This schedule could turn out better than it's currently ranked, but that will depend on how the unknown quantities of Pittsburgh and NC State turn out. For now it’s relatively toothless, especially because the Bearcats play just twice outside of Cincinnati.

XAVIER

Toughest: Tennessee (Nov. 12), Battle 4 Atlantis (Nov. 28-30 in the Bahamas), Cincinnati (Dec. 14)
Next toughest: Alabama (Dec. 21)
The rest: Gardner-Webb (Nov. 8), Morehead State (Nov. 18), Miami (Ohio) (Nov. 20), Abilene Christian (Nov. 25), Bowling Green (Dec. 7), Evansville (Dec. 10), Wake Forest (Dec. 28)

Toughness scale (1-10): 8 -- Like Villanova, the Musketeers get a nice boost from playing in Atlantis, taking on a good Iowa team in the opening round. An on-the-rise Tennessee offers bonus points (and they could face the Vols for a second time in the Bahamas), as does the annual Crosstown Classic with the Bearcats.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketbal...s-american

09-30-2013 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Bball Non-conf schedule analysis
So.. 1 is extremely tough and 10 is easy, right?

09-30-2013 03:40 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I know you guys are just hating on X, but their cupcakes are a lot better than our cupcakes.

09-30-2013 09:53 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, the UMass Lowell and Kennesaw State games right before and after Thanksgiving ought to pack them in.

09-30-2013 10:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(09-30-2013 10:36 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Yeah, the UMass Lowell and Kennesaw State games right before and after Thanksgiving ought to pack them in.

Its just crazy and it has to stop.

We aren't in the all-time all-world conference anymore - its time to play real teams all the time.

09-30-2013 11:43 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(09-30-2013 11:43 PM)Eastside_J Wrote:  
(09-30-2013 10:36 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Yeah, the UMass Lowell and Kennesaw State games right before and after Thanksgiving ought to pack them in.

We aren't in the all-time all-world conference anymore - its time to play real teams all the time.

If I am Cronin, this is a perfect schedule for the type of team he has. As a fan I would want a few more interesting non-conference team and the elimination of horrible RPI killers.

Including exhibitions, NC State is the only name team in the first nine games and they are in rebuilding mode. NC Central did go 15-1 last year in their league and shouldn't be a walk in the park for our opener. If we can get past the first two game this gives Mick a little more than a month to get our newcomers ready to play.

I can't explain it but in the last four season our best teams were the ones that played a weaker non-conference schedules. Maybe it allowed Mick to build depth without wearing down his players for the end of the year.

10-01-2013 07:55 AM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

Top to bottom the non-conference schedule is far and away better than in recent years. I'm not sure if you were expecting a schedule full of NCAA tournament teams but I don't see anything wrong with the schedule as it's laid out now.

10-01-2013 08:54 AM
Overrated Offline
All American

I think he was being sarcastic.

10-01-2013 09:20 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

(10-01-2013 08:54 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

Top to bottom the non-conference schedule is far and away better than in recent years. I'm not sure if you were expecting a schedule full of NCAA tournament teams but I don't see anything wrong with the schedule as it's laid out now.

The biggest issue's the selection committee will have with this schedule will be too many home games and one or two schools that are going to be sub 300 in the RPI.

There isn't a need to play tournament quality opponents every week in November and December; however, I would have liked another road game in there plus in couldn't hurt to add another local school with a pulse. (Dayton, Wright State, Ohio) For the coaching staff this a great schedule that increases in difficulty in December but still provides the breathing room need before conference play.

I expect the non-conference schedule to increase in difficulty next season when Louisville leaves. (Better chance that the basketball series stays due to relationship between Mick and Rick). Maybe UC gets into a preseason event next season.

10-01-2013 09:25 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(10-01-2013 09:25 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 08:54 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

The biggest issue's the selection committee will have with this schedule will be too many home games and one or two schools that are going to be sub 300 in the RPI.

There isn't a need to play tournament quality opponents every week in November and December; however, I would have liked another road game in there plus in couldn't hurt to add another local school with a pulse. (Dayton, Wright State, Ohio) For the coaching staff this a great schedule that increases in difficulty in December but still provides the breathing room need before conference play.

I expect the non-conference schedule to increase in difficulty next season when Louisville leaves. (Better chance that the basketball series stays due to relationship between Mick and Rick). Maybe UC gets into a preseason event next season.

At this point, complaining about home or away games seems like nitpicking a solid schedule. Besides, Cincinnati travels to NYC to play Pittsburgh in addition to New Mexico IN Albuquerque. As far as better RPI teams, Whit can only schedule them if there's money in the budget to do so and right now there's not much of it. He's doing the best with what he can. As Cincinnati continues to establish itself, better and better teams will be easier to schedule.

10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Cal1362 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
DonatorsDonators
I guess I'm in the minority here but the OOC schedule doesn't bother me too much. Mick has 5 or 6 freshmen/new players to work into the mix and especially on defense that takes time. Time to build trust that the scheme works and time to build the reactions to rotations and positions. The so-called cupcakes are great because even when learning mistakes are made, and they will be, UC's athletic talent alone should allow them to recover and gain confidence/belief in the system.
Would I as a fan like to see more "name" teams... sure. But I'd also like to have a junior and senior laden team every year and since I can't, I'm ok with UC building up to the conference. Bottom line in my book, this team is going to the NCAAs and as long as the don't end up in the dreaded 8 or 9 seed hole, they should be fine. Personally, I'd love to see them as a 6 or 7. IMO we make a pretty deep run from there

10-01-2013 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
For all those saying that you are fine with an easy non-conf schedule to work the kinks out of a new team, please keep those comments in mind when the conversation changes to attendance (which it normally does half way thru the season). Remember, after UofL leaves, in this conference the only heavily attended games will be Memphis, UConn and possibly Temple.

I hate to keep comparing UC to XU, but XU always seemed to balance out their crappy conference schedule by loading up non-conference, and they did just fine. Like it or not, the roles have changed and UC needs to take a page out of their book, since UC are the ones in the crappy conference now. It is essential for the non-conference schedule to keep the RPI at a respectable level.

10-01-2013 11:25 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I only disagree with your statement about the crappy conference and roll reversal for UC and X. Talking basketball, this year's AAC will be superior to the warmed over Big East when it's all said and done. Louisville will be picked by some to win it all in their final season here.

I'll also argue there is more upside for AAC basketball than the New BE in the out years, what with UConn's mulitple men's and women's NCAA championships, tradition rich Cincy, Memphis, Houston and Temple and a rising tide @ SMU.

X improved their conference affiliation; UC's declined with the implosion of the Big East but may still be the superior league when the 2013-2014 season is in the books.

10-01-2013 12:23 PM
Cal1362 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
DonatorsDonators
I think the attendance will work itself out in a couple of ways...
First, if UC is in the AAC for any number of years I would expect us to be a marquee team in the league and as long as they make a decent run in the Big Dance each March the people will show up ala the early Huggins teams in Conf USA
Second, hopefully UC will receive our share of early season tourneys like the NIT or Maui Classic or even the ones in PR etc as we should be one of the more recognizable non-big time conf teams which could help carry a field. With success in some of those, buzz will build and the students and fans will come see our team instead of the opponent.

At least that's the view through my rose colored glasses today 03-thumbsup

10-02-2013 06:22 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
(10-02-2013 06:22 PM)Cal1362 Wrote:  I think the attendance will work itself out in a couple of ways...
First, if UC is in the AAC for any number of years I would expect us to be a marquee team in the league and as long as they make a decent run in the Big Dance each March the people will show up ala the early Huggins teams in Conf USA
Second, hopefully UC will receive our share of early season tourneys like the NIT or Maui Classic or even the ones in PR etc as we should be one of the more recognizable non-big time conf teams which could help carry a field. With success in some of those, buzz will build and the students and fans will come see our team instead of the opponent.

At least that's the view through my rose colored glasses today 03-thumbsup

What you described is a recipe for 7000 seatbutts. We will be closed
out of madefors, the price of UCATTERS goes up, quality of opponent down, and there is no incentive for fans. No facilty upgrades like
Nippert on the horizon either.

10-02-2013 07:02 PM
CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
Switch our 1st, 3rd and 4th games which are part of the Global Sports Classic, which is UC's tournament, with the games X gets in their tournament, Battle 4 Atlantis, then UC would be rated an 8 or 9 and X a 4 or 5. All about games in the OOC tournaments you get in.07-coffee3

10-02-2013 08:35 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
What I always hear when we have this debate is the reason our cupcakes are bottom of the barrel is b/c of the price. We can schedule these guys much cheaper b/c they stink. Better mid major programs are more costly to schedule and we don't have the fundage.

2 points to raise:
1. Do scheduling better cupcakes pay for themselves? Will more people come out to see a Winthrop, or Eastern Michigan, or George Washington vs. a Kennesaw State or Ark Pine Bluff? Or does the SOS provide such an advantage to offset cost in terms of NCAA seeding?
2. As an alternative what are the options to schedule more regional cupcakes such as MAC opponents or teams like Morehead State, Tennessee Tech, Heck even NKU would draw better. Where decreased travel costs and convenience might behoove said cupcakes to sign for a bargain price?

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 07:55 AM by Bearcatbdub.)
10-03-2013 07:53 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2013 07:53 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  What I always hear when we have this debate is the reason our cupcakes are bottom of the barrel is b/c of the price. We can schedule these guys much cheaper b/c they stink. Better mid major programs are more costly to schedule and we don't have the fundage.

2 points to raise:
1. Do scheduling better cupcakes pay for themselves? Will more people come out to see a Winthrop, or Eastern Michigan, or George Washington vs. a Kennesaw State or Ark Pine Bluff? Or does the SOS provide such an advantage to offset cost in terms of NCAA seeding?
2. As an alternative what are the options to schedule more regional cupcakes such as MAC opponents or teams like Morehead State, Tennessee Tech, Heck even NKU would draw better. Where decreased travel costs and convenience might behoove said cupcakes to sign for a bargain price?

I've always wondered why UC doesn't play more regional opponents like you mentioned, getting 3-5 of Dayton, NKU, Evansville, Wright State, Miami, Ball State, Ohio, etc. That would definitely draw some of those school's alumni to 5/3rd and be at least "recognizable" opponents for casual UC fans (as opposed to USC-Upstate). What are the barriers to accomplishing that? Just money?

10-03-2013 08:05 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

(10-03-2013 08:05 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 07:53 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  What I always hear when we have this debate is the reason our cupcakes are bottom of the barrel is b/c of the price. We can schedule these guys much cheaper b/c they stink. Better mid major programs are more costly to schedule and we don't have the fundage.

2 points to raise:

I've always wondered why UC doesn't play more regional opponents like you mentioned, getting 3-5 of Dayton, NKU, Evansville, Wright State, Miami, Ball State, Ohio, etc. That would definitely draw some of those school's alumni to 5/3rd and be at least "recognizable" opponents for casual UC fans (as opposed to USC-Upstate). What are the barriers to accomplishing that? Just money?
]

I have argued that UC needs to play regional opponents as well. I would love to see the home and home with Dayton return while mixing in two for ones with Wright State, Miami, and NKU.

10-03-2013 08:20 AM
bearcatseminole Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & N. Dakota
Looking at it - that game against MTSU doesn't look like much - but the Blue Raiders have been known to be giant killers. Hopefully Mick and Co. doesn't sleep through that one!

10-03-2013 09:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.