UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Delay of Game after timeout
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Don't know if it's been mentioned but if you watched the game on TV, McGee was vindicated 100% by the replay and he had a right to be pissed. The play clock is not supposed to start after timeouts or change of quarters while the Umpire is standing over the ball (he stands there until the Ref signals him to move, then the play clock starts). You couldn't hear a whistle on the replay, but the play clock started while we were still in our huddle and the Umpire was standing over the ball. When the Umpire finally moved, there were 11 seconds left on the play clock. You could see Reaves notice it and turn to point it out to the Ref, but AB started his cadence and Reaves turned back to the play.

After the Brown and Callaway years, I was thinking the same thing many of you probably were, "Here we go again!" But, in this case, the officials screwed the pooch and McGee was livid - as he should have been.
09-29-2013 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
RE: Delay of Game after timeout
(09-29-2013 06:41 PM)blazr Wrote:  Don't know if it's been mentioned but if you watched the game on TV, McGee was vindicated 100% by the replay and he had a right to be pissed. The play clock is not supposed to start after timeouts or change of quarters while the Umpire is standing over the ball (he stands there until the Ref signals him to move, then the play clock starts). You couldn't hear a whistle on the replay, but the play clock started while we were still in our huddle and the Umpire was standing over the ball. When the Umpire finally moved, there were 11 seconds left on the play clock. You could see Reaves notice it and turn to point it out to the Ref, but AB started his cadence and Reaves turned back to the play.

After the Brown and Callaway years, I was thinking the same thing many of you probably were, "Here we go again!" But, in this case, the officials screwed the pooch and McGee was livid - as he should have been.

McGee was right, however, I don't know whether that sort of thing is reviewable or not. In any event, our team and coaches should have voiced their observation when the clock started rolling prematurely rather than waiting until after the flag was thrown.

In general, there's no reason it should take us as long to get plays in.
09-29-2013 06:53 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(09-29-2013 06:53 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  McGee was right, however, I don't know whether that sort of thing is reviewable or not. In any event, our team and coaches should have voiced their observation when the clock started rolling prematurely rather than waiting until after the flag was thrown.

In general, there's no reason it should take us as long to get plays in.

It's not reviewable. Our coaches were saying something once we lined up and they saw the play clock (no reason to look at it prior to that as it shouldn't be running). Problem is, if the officials don't intercede there is nothing the coaches can do. I was just bringing up what they showed on TV for those at the game or listening.
09-29-2013 06:58 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Good ole $EC.
09-29-2013 07:58 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
It's been mentioned, and you're 100% correct. Awful officiating on that one
09-29-2013 08:06 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

While true, it was a horrible call and 100% the refs fault...shouldn't they still know pretty much what they want to do coming out of a time out?

You know, "If it looks like zone we do this, if you think they are in man do that...if they stack the box we do this, if they give a cushion do that" type thing. That way everyone knows what is happening and they line up, QB makes the call and snap. Even in 11 seconds we should be able to do that.

I just don't feel like we are teaching the QBs to diagnose coverage and audible when necessary...they come out too much, let the defense show their hand and then "prairie dog" it to the sidelines for the call.
09-29-2013 08:26 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(09-29-2013 08:26 PM)iam4uab Wrote:  While true, it was a horrible call and 100% the refs fault...shouldn't they still know pretty much what they want to do coming out of a time out?

You know, "If it looks like zone we do this, if you think they are in man do that...if they stack the box we do this, if they give a cushion do that" type thing. That way everyone knows what is happening and they line up, QB makes the call and snap. Even in 11 seconds we should be able to do that.

I just don't feel like we are teaching the QBs to diagnose coverage and audible when necessary...they come out too much, let the defense show their hand and then "prairie dog" it to the sidelines for the call.

I disagree...I think it takes longer
09-29-2013 08:33 PM
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

11 seconds is not enough time to get set, diagnose coverage, call audible, check for blitzers, and snap the ball
09-29-2013 08:35 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

Yeah, maybe not...I don't know. I've just felt for a while now that our QBs don't necessarily call a game. I understand you get the play from your OC, but I don't see our guys making adjustments as much as I think they should sometimes. I mean, there was once last night where there was very obviously a blitzer coming on the outside without anyone to block him, plenty of time on the play clock and AB never even looked his way prior to the snap to recognize it. That guy ended up breaking up the play. Mix that in with the other mental lapses and it just doesn't look right to me. I'm not saying I can do any better, I just thought it would get better once McGee got here, but it hasn't.
09-29-2013 08:47 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
We were running motion on that play. That's why it took more than 11 seconds.
09-29-2013 09:01 PM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

It appeared as if the refs had signaled the teams to the field and UAB was a bit hesitant. Vandy was on the field and ready before UAB came back on the field. Duh! Ever thought that McGee took too long on the sidelines?
09-30-2013 07:10 AM
Advertisement

Puff Offline
Water Engineer

(09-30-2013 07:10 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  It appeared as if the refs had signaled the teams to the field and UAB was a bit hesitant. Vandy was on the field and ready before UAB came back on the field. Duh! Ever thought that McGee took too long on the sidelines?
Whether the clock started correctly, or not, the QB should have seen it running down and called a TO. I recorded the game and after watching there were times when I saw our center telling our QB to hurry up which makes me wonder are they checking the time clock like they should?
09-30-2013 07:22 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Neither here nor there, really, but Vandy's play clocks were not behind the end zones. They were on the ends of the sidelines. I know I kept looking for them in the wrong place all night.
09-30-2013 09:00 AM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
Apparently you weren't the only one.
09-30-2013 09:08 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2013 07:10 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  It appeared as if the refs had signaled the teams to the field and UAB was a bit hesitant. Vandy was on the field and ready before UAB came back on the field. Duh! Ever thought that McGee took too long on the sidelines?

It doesn't matter if we come to the field or stay on the sidelines. The ref can start the play clock, which he did. When UAB got lined up, the umpire was still standing over the ball. You could see that our center was frustrated and likely said something to the umpire who finally moved. AB probably should have recognized it, but in his defense, he expected there to be almost 25 seconds and no need to hurry since the umpire just leaving the ball indicates that the clock had just started.
09-30-2013 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
First and foremost, it was CRAP officiating. However, it still speaks to a lack of discipline and awareness on our part. The timeout was poorly timed to begin with. I thought it slowed the momentum we had from the previous few plays and gave Vandy a chance to regroup and the officials a chance to do what they did.
09-30-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
On the replay you could hear the whistle to start the playclock while out guys were still in the huddle.
09-30-2013 09:53 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2013 09:53 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  On the replay you could hear the whistle to start the playclock while out guys were still in the huddle.

And you could see that the official over the ball didn't move, even after we lined up! He should have moved when that whistle blew.
09-30-2013 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(09-30-2013 11:13 AM)the Dragon Wrote:  
(09-30-2013 09:53 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  On the replay you could hear the whistle to start the playclock while out guys were still in the huddle.

And you could see that the official over the ball didn't move, even after we lined up! He should have moved when that whistle blew.

He had to make sure our guys didn't run a quick snap on Vandy. Our little upstart program can't be allowed to sneak something in on the big boys.
09-30-2013 11:39 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
I saw that, too, and even the announcers of the game on TV said that McGee was right at being fired up at those yahoos in stripes for what happened.
09-30-2013 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.