UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

School paddling dispute touched off by Leeds parent
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
School paddling dispute touched off by Leeds parent
Corporal punishment (spanking, paddling, whipping, etc) is again in the news as the Leeds City School District sent home a permission form for parents to sign and it states that if no form is returned, it will be taken as consent.

The article in the NEWS (9/27/13 Page 1A and 5A) covers the issue from the state level to the local level. Information on frequency and severity of such punishment is not gathered by the state BOE and some districts don't report it on internet sites at all.

Questions not answered in the article:
What is the acceptable size (L-W-Thickness) of a designated "paddle"?
Who is to be officially appointed to carry out the punishment and what range of discretion are they allowed?
At what age does a student qualify to be so punished and what is the appropriate severity at each age?
Will the same official carry out punishment equally for males and females? (The punishment fits the crime, not the person?)
What liability protections are these officials going to operate under? The courts have ruled that an individual teacher can be individually sued if the student is injured while under their supervision.

These are just a few of the points any statewide policy must answer for the practice to be equitably and fairly administered. .
09-27-2013 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
RE: School paddling dispute touched off by Leeds parent
Return the form with your choice.
09-27-2013 09:17 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(09-27-2013 09:17 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Return the form with your choice.

That settles the issue for that one child, but what does the school do with two or more children who do the same thing but have different parental responses?

What does the school do with that star DT who is 6'6" 315 lb ? Three licks by MS Smith, the principal?

One can delegate authority but never responsibility. The courts have stated that each teacher / educator is individually liable for any injury to a student under their care and tort lawyers will be more than willing to get a maximum settlement on which to collect their contingency fee.
09-29-2013 02:45 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
"Any lumps,bumps or bruises?"
"No."
THWACK!

Each swat saved me an hour of detention.
09-29-2013 09:40 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Yep. The licks were the least objectionable option every time. All the other ones involved my parents.
09-30-2013 09:09 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
Most or all posters on BT are male. Tell me about paddling of girls who may be as guilty as any boy for "defiance, disobedience or disorderly conduct". How would you as a parent of a girl, react to 3 to 5 licks administered by the principal or a coach?

In a matriarchal culture as we have in some areas, the females may be just as strong in misbehavior as the males in another culture, but rules for a district can't be "bent" for racial or gender differences..
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 10:00 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
09-30-2013 09:57 AM
Copperblazer Offline
Great White Hooter Hunter

I Root For: Boobies.

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I giggled once when an old woman teacher swatted me with her paddle. Then she call up the baseball coach.05-mafia Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.04-jawdrop

I had a principal in Florida hit me with a paddle. It broke, the end of it sailed across the room and destroyed his football participation trophy. 3 days of in school suspension resulted of me coming a hair away from being expelled. The "teacher" over in-school suspension was 4'9" and had "little man + angry black man" complexes going for him. And me being a 6'4" "big ol' cracka" as he put it. It got ugly. 04-chairshot

Yes, I knew girls in school who got away with, well, attempted murder at least. The funniest was one I saw several times of chicks that were about to be paddled suddenly getting a visit from aunt flo.

Looking back, maybe I should've claimed a visit by bad mexican food
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 10:21 AM by Copperblazer.)
09-30-2013 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
In regards to the situation where 2 need discipline & 1 has a "no contact" clause, if there is a way where detention can be used on both or pounding erasers, garbage pickup duty, etc. then that should be the option.

I don't see where paddling has to be used as much if at all as a form of discipline.

Not saying I am against it, just that there are other options now that didn't seem to be options in the past.

In regards to girls, having all girls & don't want males or females using the paddle. I would want them to contact me & we could have a little chat instead.
09-30-2013 10:58 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Boys : Take the detention. It is the best place to meet bad girls.
09-30-2013 01:04 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
Have any of you seen a 9 year old 3rd grader get 5 licks from a paddle? I saw a whole class (49 students) get that punishment at Hudson ES in 1970-71. I saw teachers who used cut off jump ropes as whips across kid's legs. I saw kids hands bent back and struck with a length of wire across their palm. All of these were accepted as normal punishment by the kids because it was what they were accustomed to getting. By 6th grade, they accepted such punishment to mean you cared about them and wanted them to respect you.

Ask the police in North B'ham how easy the duty is there after these kids came out of school age. How often is the age of a shooter listed as 19 to 22 years old?
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 02:15 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
09-30-2013 02:13 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Someone in this thread is attempting to be serious, and the rest are reminiscing about the good old days or having sexual fantasies.

03-lmfao
09-30-2013 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.