Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Why shouldn't ECU be invited to the SEC? (SJ not allowed to post)
Greg H Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Herd
Why shouldn't ECU be invited to the SEC? (SJ not allowed to post)
Seriously. I know I'm a Marshall fan. But I'm also an ECU fan. Attendance is great. Fan base is great. The team has had some amazing success over the years for a mid-major. I know the market is dogsnot, but it is only 1 hour from Raleigh.

I won't mention the ACC. The snot-noses at UNC and Duke would never have ECU in their academically "elite" conference.
09-27-2013 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
RE: Why shouldn't ECU be invited to the SEC? (SJ not allowed to post)
No, no, no... don't you know what you've done? 03-banghead in before the pissing.match.

However I will say this. I'd love Sec.

Reasons for not:
They want state or unc
We are 20 spots from their lowest academic rankings.
They like flagships and not schools with directions

Reasons for:
Screw the ACC, we would immediately out recruit all NC schools, steal va recruits, put 65k in the stands, become the premier athletic program in NC and piss off unc/ncsu.
Atheletics is the front porch of a university. More students apply/academics goes up from more funding, selectivity.
We would mold opinions of the name to our favor lome southern cal.

There is a very long thread about it on the SEC board, those folks would love some new posts to read, don't let the thread die.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 03:42 PM by ncbeta.)
09-27-2013 03:35 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
I know right, send the invite already SEC. No but actually I heard it is all but a done deal. Problem is the presser was accidentally scheduled for February 29th so now we've got to wait till 2016 to announce it and move forward.
09-27-2013 03:40 PM
Greg H Offline
Bench Warmer

Yes, I did post that!

But seriously. Vanderbuilt? Miss. State? What do they offer that ECU doesn't?
09-27-2013 03:41 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Beats the hell out of me.
09-27-2013 03:41 PM
ncbeta Offline

If I missed an ECU fan posting about us being SEC worthy and this is a joke thread you got me. Haha.

Though I mean what I said in the earlier post (and plenty of non ecu fans agree) the biggest reason we won't get innis that the SEC doesnt need to take the gamble, no matter how favorable the odds are. They can afford to wait for the sure thing/ who they want.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 03:48 PM by ncbeta.)
09-27-2013 03:44 PM
Advertisement

Greg H Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-27-2013 03:44 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  If I missed an ECU fan posting about us being SEC worthy and this is a joke thread you got me. Haha.

Dead serious, and I bleed Kelly Green. I'm just looking at it from a purely analytical standpoint. It's really amazing to me that nobody from a P5 conference has picked them up...and I think SEC is the best fit (ACC would be better if not for the unwarranted snobbery of the conference).
09-27-2013 03:46 PM
ncbeta Offline

In that case see the bold edit for my most neutral reason.
09-27-2013 03:49 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(09-27-2013 03:44 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  If I missed an ECU fan posting about us being SEC worthy and this is a joke thread you got me. Haha.

Though I mean what I said in the earlier post (and plenty of non ecu fans agree) the biggest reason we won't get innis that the SEC doesnt need to take the gamble, no matter how favorable the odds are. [b]They can afford to wait for the sure thing/ who they want.[/b]

I would imagine the SEC would love to be in NC and VA. If they won't make a move until they get an ACC team from those states then they probably won't ever move. If by some chance a North Carolina or NC St did go to the SEC, maybe ECU would finally punch a ticket to the ACC. You certainly have the fan base for it.
09-27-2013 03:59 PM
ncbeta Offline

(09-27-2013 03:59 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Though I mean what I said in the earlier post (and plenty of non ecu fans agree) the biggest reason we won't get innis that the SEC doesnt need to take the gamble, no matter how favorable the odds are. [b]They can afford to wait for the sure thing/ who they want.[/b]

I would imagine the SEC would love to be in NC and VA. If they won't make a move until they get an ACC team from those states then they probably won't ever move. If by some chance a North Carolina or NC St did go to the SEC, maybe ECU would finally punch a ticket to the ACC. You certainly have the fan base for it.

I'd like to think they'd make a move if state/unc said no and our academics improve. We jumped like 18 spots last year... if we do it again.....who knows.
09-27-2013 04:08 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(09-27-2013 03:41 PM)Greg H Wrote:  Yes, I did post that!

But seriously. Vanderbuilt? Miss. State? What do they offer that ECU doesn't?

All the SEC schools except MAYBE Vandy have better academics, bigger endowment, better overall athletics, bigger brand name, more fans & more political pull in their respective states. We just aren't what they're looking for right now. If we went on a Boise St type of run it could improve our brand greatly. Also need improve our academic ranking at the very least to the low to middle of the pack SEC schools. Then maybe we would become much more attractive.

People seem to forget that college presidents (ie, academic egg heads) are the one's that make these decisions. They prefer #1 - flagships, #2 - land grants, #3 - private schools. There's only one "#3 in their state" public school in the Power 5, Texas Tech. The lowest US News rank for a P5 school is something like #170 (WVU I think). ECU checks in at #181.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 04:53 PM by blunderbuss.)
09-27-2013 04:40 PM
Advertisement

pir84evr Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina
There are 44 pages of posts about it on the SEC board... beginning in 2004.

Page 36 addresses a lot of points.

And there's this. And this.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 05:00 PM by pir84evr.)
09-27-2013 04:47 PM
PirateNation Offline
All American

We have a lot of work to do before we are anywhere near SEC level.

Perfect combo would be to add ECU and Virginia Tech to get the states of NC and VA. Both schools are very similar. UNC and UVA do not fit in with the SEC. NC State does, but not sure if they would leave the ACC.

However we fit the SEC profile more than any other conference. Football and Baseball driven.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 04:56 PM by PirateNation.)
09-27-2013 04:53 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(09-27-2013 03:32 PM)Greg H Wrote:  Seriously. I know I'm a Marshall fan. But I'm also an ECU fan. Attendance is great. Fan base is great. The team has had some amazing success over the years for a mid-major. I know the market is dogsnot, but it is only 1 hour from Raleigh.

I won't mention the ACC. The snot-noses at UNC and Duke would never have ECU in their academically "elite" conference.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but several of the programs in BCS conferences would leave their current situations if they were invited to the SEC. I can't see why ECU would even get a look. Every program in the ACC would jump at the opportunity to join the SEC, and all but Oklahoma and Texas would be willing to leave the Big 12. I think the AAC is going to be ECU's home for a long, long time. I know it isn't the conference ECU was planning on joining, but it is what it is.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 05:03 PM by Side Show Joe.)
09-27-2013 05:01 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(09-27-2013 05:01 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(09-27-2013 03:32 PM)Greg H Wrote:  Seriously. I know I'm a Marshall fan. But I'm also an ECU fan. Attendance is great. Fan base is great. The team has had some amazing success over the years for a mid-major. I know the market is dogsnot, but it is only 1 hour from Raleigh.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but several of the programs in BCS conferences would leave their current situations if they were invited to the SEC. I can't see why ECU would even get a look. Every program in the ACC would jump at the opportunity to join the SEC, and all but Oklahoma and Texas would be willing to leave the Big 12. I think the AAC is going to be ECU's home for a long, long time. I know it isn't the conference ECU was planning on joining, but it is what it is.

Wrong about that one. VT turned the SEC down. You don't think the SEC tried to get UNC or NCSU? Do you honestly think adding Mizzou to the East was the 1st choice to pair with TAMU? A lot of people underestimate the security the ACC has in reality.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 05:10 PM by blunderbuss.)
09-27-2013 05:05 PM
pir84evr Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-27-2013 05:01 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but several of the programs in BCS conferences would leave their current situations if they were invited to the SEC. I can't see why ECU would even get a look. Every program in the ACC would jump at the opportunity to join the SEC and all but Oklahoma and Texas would be willing to leave the Big 12. I think the AAC is going to be ECU's home for a long, long time. I know it isn't the conference you guys were planning on joining, but it is what it is.

Texas teams don't know much about the East Coast I'm learning from these boards. Catch up to the debate by reading the other thread.

Here's the short version of why your post is ignorant of the current facts...

"The ACC announced Monday that its presidents have signed a Grant of Rights agreement through 2026-27. That means the conference now owns its 15 current and future members' television rights for the duration of that period, effectively blocking those schools from joining another conference (because what conference would add a school if it can't cash in on its television revenue)? The Big 12's own six-year Grant of Rights agreement reached in October 2011 (and since extended through 2025) greatly stabilized that then-tenuous conference, allowing it to add TCU and West Virginia and ink an eventual long-term deal with ESPN and FOX."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...z2g8KOcrYe
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 05:13 PM by pir84evr.)
09-27-2013 05:07 PM
Advertisement

blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
ECU won't be invited because ya'll have lost to UAB & if you ever play UAT they will never take the chance that ya'll having lost to us that you could beat them & therefore we'd beat them. That's how screwy their thought system is 03-lmfao
09-27-2013 05:18 PM
ncbeta Offline

All Ncsu and VT have to do is apply. The sec would love to have unc/uva as well but they are less likely to abandon ACC... just proof that not all Acc schools would leave for SEC.
09-27-2013 05:32 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
because ecu hasn't sold their collective souls to the devil. that is an SEC requirement
09-27-2013 05:52 PM
r2pirate Offline
1st String

(09-27-2013 04:08 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(09-27-2013 03:59 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

I'd like to think they'd make a move if state/unc said no and our academics improve. We jumped like 18 spots last year... if we do it again.....who knows.

Are you sure you are a Pirate? No true Pirate would never put ncsu and unc above ECU in any sentence. I BELIVE!
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 06:51 PM by r2pirate.)
09-27-2013 06:48 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.