Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jim Tressel
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Jim Tressel
For all of the ongoing talk over where Bobby Petrino’s next stop will be we hardly hear anything about Jim Tressel. I think most people are far less appalled over what Tressel did than Petrino. A team that hires Tressel would serve a one-year postseason ban due to Tressel’s “show cause” penalty, but that doesn’t mean much in the big picture. The Vest would be a tremendous hire for a Missouri or a Kansas State should Bill Snyder retire. Can UConn dare to dream?
09-26-2013 12:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Jim Tressel
Tressel has a show cause ban until December of 2016. Generally speaking, coaches with that aren't hired.

Also, if he were hired before then, not only would he not be able to coach in the postseason that 1st year, he wouldn't be able to coach in the 1st 5 games of that regular season.
09-26-2013 12:47 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

Oh wow...didn't know it was for that long! Forget it
09-26-2013 12:52 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Some people were talking about him at UC last year when Jones left. Of course the show-cause makes it a nonstarter.

Objectively speaking, UC is probably the best job he could get. Like you said, I think a school like Kansas State/UConn/Missouri/UC is probably the ceiling for him after the show-cause expires. And he'd be out of the game for so long that even that's a stretch. But unlike other programs of that quality, UC has the added incentive that he wouldn't even have to move out-of-state. That's probably a big deal for Tressel because he's lived in Ohio his entire life (except a 2-year stint at Syracuse in the early 80s). He was born in Mentor, went to school at BW in Cleveland, and has worked at Miami, Akron, Youngstown State, and OSU.

I don't see him choosing to go outside Ohio, or maybe Ball State. He'd be a good choice for UC and I hope our AD at least has Tressel's agent's number on the "list" that all AD's keep in their top drawer.
09-27-2013 08:49 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-27-2013 08:49 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Some people were talking about him at UC last year when Jones left. Of course the show-cause makes it a nonstarter.

Objectively speaking, UC is probably the best job he could get. Like you said, I think a school like Kansas State/UConn/Missouri/UC is probably the ceiling for him after the show-cause expires. And he'd be out of the game for so long that even that's a stretch. But unlike other programs of that quality, UC has the added incentive that he wouldn't even have to move out-of-state. That's probably a big deal for Tressel because he's lived in Ohio his entire life (except a 2-year stint at Syracuse in the early 80s). He was born in Mentor, went to school at BW in Cleveland, and has worked at Miami, Akron, Youngstown State, and OSU.

I don't see him choosing to go outside Ohio, or maybe Ball State. He'd be a good choice for UC and I hope our AD at least has Tressel's agent's number on the "list" that all AD's keep in their top drawer.

The problem with his show-cause- when it's done, it's 2017 season. He would be 65 at the end of that year. That's getting up there to restart a career quite frankly.
09-27-2013 08:55 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

The NCAA seems totally powerless and unable to control member schools right now, though. If a school wanted to hire Tressel, I wonder what the NCAA would do if a school tried to fight the show cause edict. At this point, the NCAA looks completely toothless, IMO.
09-27-2013 09:06 AM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
(09-26-2013 12:38 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  For all of the ongoing talk over where Bobby Petrino’s next stop will be we hardly hear anything about Jim Tressel. I think most people are far less appalled over what Tressel did than Petrino. A team that hires Tressel would serve a one-year postseason ban due to Tressel’s “show cause” penalty, but that doesn’t mean much in the big picture. The Vest would be a tremendous hire for a Missouri or a Kansas State should Bill Snyder retire. Can UConn dare to dream?

The scary thing about Tressel for most AD's is that he lied to the NCAA (everyone forgets that), and covered up his star players so they could play in the bowl game against Arkansas. He is a more silent risk, while Petrino is a loose cannon and everyone knows it.

Now that you mention it though, he would be a great get for a school like...say Texas or Nebraska? I think his personality is too vanilla for USC. Bottom line is if Tressel does go back into coaching, it will be with a major brand.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 09:11 AM by LSUtah.)
09-27-2013 09:10 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-27-2013 09:06 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  The NCAA seems totally powerless and unable to control member schools right now, though. If a school wanted to hire Tressel, I wonder what the NCAA would do if a school tried to fight the show cause edict. At this point, the NCAA looks completely toothless, IMO.

lol, you are probably so right.

Going back to your original point, have an interesting school should they want to do that... what about Nebraska?
09-27-2013 09:12 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-27-2013 09:06 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  The NCAA seems totally powerless and unable to control member schools right now, though. If a school wanted to hire Tressel, I wonder what the NCAA would do if a school tried to fight the show cause edict. At this point, the NCAA looks completely toothless, IMO.

Yeah, anyone who has been sanctioned by the NCAA might as well go back to them and say, "You reduced Penn State's sanctions, so now you need to reduce ours, too."
09-27-2013 09:18 AM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Tressel would have been the Cincinnati coach when Rick Minter was hired. But because Tressel was in the national championship game with Youngstown State and or preparing for that game, Tressel wanted Cincinnati officials to wait until he was finished to hire him. He wanted to complete his obligation to YSU. Cincinnati did not wait, hired Rick Minter and the rest is history. Everyone always knew Tressel eventually wanted the Ohio State job. I thought Tressel got the complete shaft at Ohio State. They used the problems at the school to get rid of him and hire Urban Meyer.
09-28-2013 05:46 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Does the "show cause" apply to consulting?
09-28-2013 07:37 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

agree here....if Miami, UNC, Ped St, etc etc etc are all still playing football with seemingly little consequence I can't imagine the Tressel thing being too tough to get around. The ncaa is a joke.
09-28-2013 07:47 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I did read he was in the running to become President of Arkon university which seems pretty strange, he has some admin job at arkon right now. If i were betting, i figure he will be the next football coach at Arkon. I doubt they care about the show case since they are going to the bcs. Terry bowden probably gets 1 more year than bring in Tressel following the 2014 season, so they would be under the show cause for 2 years.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 09:16 AM by bluesox.)
09-28-2013 09:16 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-27-2013 09:18 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Yeah, anyone who has been sanctioned by the NCAA might as well go back to them and say, "You reduced Penn State's sanctions, so now you need to reduce ours, too."

Yeah, that was a huge tactical mistake.
09-28-2013 12:28 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(09-28-2013 12:28 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(09-27-2013 09:18 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
Yeah, that was a huge tactical mistake.
Like that's the first one the NCAA has made lately? 03-banghead
09-28-2013 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.