Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice-Houston PGT (post-game thread)
baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
Rice-Houston PGT (post-game thread)
Well. I missed most of this one; no TV and 1560 lost power for most of the second half.

Welp.

The Saint Arnold in my fridge looks mighty good right now.

Have at it, folks.
09-21-2013 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sohummm Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Rice-Houston PGT (post-game thread)
I wonder how Driphus feels if he can't get on the field for more than 1 snap after that performance from QB.
09-21-2013 05:52 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
Can't fault the no give up effort, but in the understatement of the year, our execution and offense play calling just sucks. We put ourselves in position to win however
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 05:55 PM by owlatheart.)
09-21-2013 05:53 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(09-21-2013 05:50 PM)baker-13 Wrote:  Well. I missed most of this one; no TV and 1560 lost power for most of the second half.

Welp.

Have at it, folks.

It was better than last year. That said, you've missed out on all the wonderful things that stress and frustration do to your body.
09-21-2013 05:54 PM
baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

(09-21-2013 05:54 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(09-21-2013 05:50 PM)baker-13 Wrote:  Well. I missed most of this one; no TV and 1560 lost power for most of the second half.

Welp.

Have at it, folks.

It was better than last year. That said, you've missed out on all the wonderful things that stress and frustration do to your body.

Oh, even better than that: I got to try and suss out game info from ESPN GameCast and the b****ing on here.

Going Parliament-only for a good chunk of the game was helpful for reminding me how annoying die-hard sports fans like myself can be. Nice reminder, really.

Also, not being at games in Houston still feels weird (was in MOB all four years; only missed one home game [when the Memphis game was scheduled for 11 AM on Yom Kippur my junior year]).
09-21-2013 05:57 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UH is a young, sloppy team. Talented, but gave us chances to steal it. Coaches didn't look very good, but we also had a several dropped interceptions and overall failure to make plays on offense. Two straight weeks of inefficient offense. This is not a good offense folks. Other teams are doubling Jordan Taylor, and we don't have enough play-makers in the passing game. Not surprising after losing 3 key receivers to the NFL. We obviously missed Ross, but McHargue simply didn't make enough plays to win. Driphus could've won the game but I have to assume he is in the doghouse for some reason. Bailiff has never been good at handling the QB position. I might revise my 8-4 prediction to 7-5. I don't see how we can lose less than 3 more games with what we've shown on offense, but the defense is good enough to get us to at least 6 wins with the schedule we have.
09-21-2013 06:06 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-21-2013 05:52 PM)sohummm Wrote:  I wonder how Driphus feels if he can't get on the field for more than 1 snap after that performance from QB.

Agreed. For whatever reason, so far this year, Taylor has consistently run out of gas-- and appeared to lose his focus and aggressiveness-- after the first 3 - 4 series of each game. Why in the world DB and Reagan stuck with him to the end in this one is mystifying, to say the least. It cost us the game, plain and simple.

Overall, defense played well, though it is still frustratingly vulnerable to the big play. We allowed 5 - 6 of them this game, and that was the ball game.

Also once again, our coaching staff failed to make the necessary in-game, half-time adjustments (especially necessary with the loss of Ross), and were badly outcoached in the 2nd half.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 06:12 PM by waltgreenberg.)
09-21-2013 06:09 PM
sohummm Offline
Water Engineer

(09-21-2013 06:09 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(09-21-2013 05:52 PM)sohummm Wrote:  I wonder how Driphus feels if he can't get on the field for more than 1 snap after that performance from QB.

Agreed. For whatever reason, so far this year, Taylor has consistently run out of gas-- and appeared to lose his focus and aggressiveness-- after the first 3 - 4 series of each game. Why in the world DB and Reagan stuck with him to the end in this one is mystifying, to say the least. It cost us the game, plain and simple.

Overall, defense played well, though it is still frustratingly vulnerable to the big play. We allowed 5 - 6 of them this game, and that was the ball game.

Also once again, our coaching staff failed to make the necessary in-game, half-time adjustments (especially necessary with the loss of Ross), and were badly outcoached in the 2nd half.
It seems like the only way McHargue gets off the field is if he picks up an injury of some sort. I wonder how much Ward we would have seen from UH if Korn hadn't gotten injured and Ward hadn't come in and moved the offense in that series.

We're used to be being badly outcoached. We should spot the opponents 10 points at half time just based on that.
09-21-2013 06:18 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(09-21-2013 06:06 PM)Buho00 Wrote:  Driphus could've won the game but I have to assume he is in the doghouse for some reason.

There are many parts of the game that Rice misplayed, including defense, (unfortunately, because it's generally fantastic) kicking, and offense.

It's one thing to say that McHargue is a known quantity and that DJ has shown more than enough to demonstrate a switch should've been made. But, I'm skeptical that making that Rice would've won if that change was made.

I do think that at a minimum, Driphus should take 1/2 the snaps at this stage. I am not convinced that playing him rather than McHargue would win games like this that we would otherwise lose.
09-21-2013 06:19 PM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

Why the hell is McHargue bound and determined to throw interceptions right to a defensive player ???? It's not like its a good athletic play by the defender. Sorry but at this point we might as well go with our future at QB and get him ready for next year. McH plays just well enough to lose games.
09-21-2013 06:19 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I hope somebody asked the question after the game. Last year we stuck with McHargue vs Memphis and it cost us that game too. Driphus has won the last 2 Rice wins. Vs Air Force in bowl game and last week, lead last 2 scoring drives vs Kansas. Something must've happened with him.
09-21-2013 06:20 PM
Advertisement

At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(09-21-2013 06:09 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Why in the world DB and Reagan stuck with him to the end in this one is mystifying, to say the least. It cost us the game, plain and simple.

He's a senior playing the cross-town rival for the last time. They're not going to bench him. It's more important to give him a chance to develop as a man than win a football game. Which is fine and all, but probably not appropriate given the amount of money spent on this program.

This has been a regular MO. Why was Corey Frazier starting and getting 80% of the snaps over Julius White who is twice the athlete? Why was Klein Kubiak playing so much this game, when we have Parks and Taylor and Hull?
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 06:26 PM by At Ease.)
09-21-2013 06:25 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

The other alternative of course is that a year later, we still hadn't prepared Driphus to read the defenses UH threw at him last season.
09-21-2013 06:26 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

McHargue definitely playing at a lower level in 2013 than he did most of 2012.

Stop complaining about McHargue playing over Driphus last year in Memphis thought. Driphus was out that game, though I don't think it was officially announced. Multiple folks have said this, all of them dependable sources.
09-21-2013 06:28 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
After McHargue threw the pick the coaches told DJ to warm up. but then we got the ball back and went in with wild owl.

Not only did DJ get only one snap, it was on a 3rd down. geez.

dance with the one that brung ya--and lose.

Edit: kind of unbelievable to have blocked FG for TD and recover onsides kick in same game. progress in the kicking game??

edit 2: of course having our own pat blocked was a big setback.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 06:31 PM by MemOwl.)
09-21-2013 06:30 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

In the last 3 games, McH QB'ed drives resulted in points 6 of 26 times. Today he went 2 of 13 (not counting the Turner TD pass), so that's now 20.5% of possessions in the last 4 games have resulted in points.
09-21-2013 06:31 PM
Advertisement

owlaholic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice for life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcubOfJPbBk

The best onside kick of the year???
09-21-2013 06:32 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
Very entertaining game. Rice should win CUSA. My only negative and it's a minor one: The Mob's time has come and gone. It's really not cute and funny anymore. Rice University is much classier than its marching band.
09-21-2013 06:34 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

So frustrating. I really like DB, and I feel like he has raised the *potential* talent on the team. But we continue to fail to live up to that potential.

Win the conference and/or finish in the top 25, or make a change at the end of the season.
09-21-2013 06:34 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-21-2013 06:34 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  So frustrating. I really like DB, and I feel like he has raised the *potential* talent on the team. But we continue to fail to live up to that potential.

Win the conference and/or finish in the top 25, or make a change at the end of the season.

That's it. We're not getting out-athleted now. Even against aTm, the gulf was not as great as it was historically.

But we are getting out-prepared and out-executed. I don't know what is needed to change that, but whatever it is needs to be done.
09-21-2013 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.