Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Serious Questions in comparing FAU and FIU development
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Serious Questions in comparing FAU and FIU development
I'm not trying to open up a flame war. This is a serious inquiry.

As a Florida resident, I'm very interested in watching the development of both FAU and FIU, but as I sit here this morning, having pulled out my old Beef O' Brady T-shirt (souvenir of the FIU/Marshall game a few years ago), I was contemplating both teams.

This is one fan's perspective, but FAU fans/administration seem wildly interested in growing their brand. Almost every week we see new things being done in Boca to generate interest in growing the Owl's footprint. (Just this week, although it's a head scratcher, is the new pool area in the stadium. But it's development to build some buzz.

As to FIU, I never hear much about them. The energy seems to be gone since the firing of Cristobal and the troubles with the Basketball team. I just don't see the fan support, and I travel to Miami often (and plan to be there at our 11-23 game...already have my tickets and hotel reservations.)

So, what is the story with FIU? Why have they fallen so much and is there on-campus energy to build their brand? Is it bad coaching hires? There is so much talent in the Miami area that it seems that they could be good real fast, if the energy was there.
09-19-2013 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
RE: Serious Questions in comparing FAU and FIU development
FAU has been very active for the past 3-4 years (since the stadium got built) in making the atmosphere great for students on game day. They realized that for long term success they need to get the students involved so that years down the road when they are on their own out in the world they will have fond memories of games at FAU and give back to the university. Some of the ideas now in place

"The Rats Mouth" tailgate area right in front of the stadium for students only
"The Cove" new this year, but another enticement.
"The Owl Walk" revamped this year with music and more hype
24 hour tailgate. For this year its MTSU and the "The Rats Mouth" will be open for 24 hours before game rather than 5 hours.
Annual "Bonfire/Concert" Free to students with free food and T-shirts

You have to remember that for FAU and FIU the majority of the alumni base has NO athletic ties to the school, so they are not interested in supporting the programs for the most part since it really wasn't a part of their experience. FAU is trying to change that and I think is doing a good job of it.
09-19-2013 07:41 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Online
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
I don't know how much right I have to discuss other than I lived in S Fla for a little while and have been to both schools as a former employee at MT, but my impression is that FAU probably has a slight advantage in terms of building immediate community support, because there is a defined community that is different than what is the big Miami metro.

Though you can't really tell when you leave one jurisdiction and hit a another driving down I-95 from the time you hit West Palm until you get to Homestead, Boca seems to be a bit more tight knit than you're going to find with the people in Miami. To me that gives FAU the opportunity to connect with its fan base and alumni more.

But both have a challenge not all that dissimilar to us. There are just too many options for entertainment in south Florida. And add to that one thing we don't have which is a very eccletic population with different interests it adds an extra layer.

I worked for the Mets in St. Lucie back in the day before they moved their offices back up to New York, and their A ball team had many of the same problems getting people interested. The only saving grace were the plethora of retired New Yorkers who had moved down there just to be close to the Mets, so they had a bit of tightness in parts of that community, which helped them. FAU has some options to do some community stuff that I don't think are available to FIU as easily.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013 08:00 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-19-2013 07:52 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
People always bring up how much talent there is....but one thing you need to think about is that area constantly has Florida, Florida State, the U, UCF, USF, and several schools in areas that don't produce much D1 talent (i.e., Marshall), all recruiting there.
09-19-2013 07:58 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
My question for FIU is this; if your previous coach would have been kept, do you think the football program would be in better shape now?
09-19-2013 09:05 AM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
In my time as an MT fan, I've always thought FAU had their **** together a little more than FIU as far as administration, building their brand, fan support, etc.
09-19-2013 09:28 AM
Advertisement

FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
I think we would be marginally better, we wouldn't have lost to BCC. But the fact is, had Mario stayed, he still would have lost 30 seniors to graduation and still would have had some academic casualties. There are very few, if any, coaches who can overcome that kind of turnover in the non BCS world. However, I do believe, Mario would have brought us back from that to a certain level of respectability. I don't have that same faith in Ron Turner. I hope he proves me wrong.

(09-19-2013 09:05 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  My question for FIU is this; if your previous coach would have been kept, do you think the football program would be in better shape now?
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013 10:51 AM by FIU Panther Fan.)
09-19-2013 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
asonofmarshall Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd
I'm interested in hearing what FIU fans bring to this discussion.
It seems like when we played FIU in the BOB Bowl, the Panthers had a descent showing of fans, etc., but ever since they joined C-USA, it's like FIU fans are Gremlins (you know they exist, but you never see them.)
Yea, FIU has fallen on some rough times, but damn, to go from FIU fans swarming this board during the BOB Bowl and when they first announced their membership to almost none being here, it's like an apocalypse occurred down in Tamiami.

Meanwhile, Owl fans are coming out of the woodwork it seems, and FAU is rapidly growing from a "Who?" to a "Oh, those guys! They're pretty badass dudes, and fun to party with," so tip of the hat to the Owls. 04-cheers
09-19-2013 11:26 AM
OwlFamily Offline

(09-19-2013 11:26 AM)asonofmarshall Wrote:  I'm interested in hearing what FIU fans bring to this discussion.
It seems like when we played FIU in the BOB Bowl, the Panthers had a descent showing of fans, etc., but ever since they joined C-USA, it's like FIU fans are Gremlins (you know they exist, but you never see them.)
Yea, FIU has fallen on some rough times, but damn, to go from FIU fans swarming this board during the BOB Bowl and when they first announced their membership to almost none being here, it's like an apocalypse occurred down in Tamiami.

Meanwhile, Owl fans are coming out of the woodwork it seems, and FAU is rapidly growing from a "Who?" to a "Oh, those guys! They're pretty badass dudes, and fun to party with," so tip of the hat to the Owls. 04-cheers

FIU needs to have a "Culture" change I think. We got a new coach and a new AD that has brought fresh ideas and energy to the program. Its taken a few years, but the investment seems to be paying off.
09-19-2013 11:30 AM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
This is just related for football purposes as to the main reason why the team has fallen so low this season. Mind you, FIU was the favorite to win the Sun Belt Conference last season (2012) by most pre-season publications, when we had one of the top teams in the nation with most returning "starts" from the previous season (2011), which went 8-4 during regular season. Playing exactly the same schedule as 2011, we regressed from 8-4 to 3-9, which admittedly, was a major disappointment after two consecutive winning and Bowl seasons.

From 2012, FIU lost 30 seniors to graduation originally.

FIU lost the entire starting O-Line (One to NFL), plus 2 part time starters.

FIU lost the #1, the #2 and #3 RB's from last season. The returning starter was lost weeks prior to start of Fall camp due to discharging a firearm on campus, while the other two graduated.

FIU lost the top 5 All Purpose yards players to various reasons, and 8 of the top 10. Only QB Jake Medlock (currently injured) and DeAndre Jasper (who was suspended for the 1st game at least) are with the team.

FIU lost, between players graduating (4) and academic casualties, the top 6 players in receiving yards.

FIU lost the whole starting linebacker unit to graduation.

FIU lost the starting safeties unit to graduation. (One to NFL).

FIU lost the starting cornerback unit, one to graduation and one to academics, in addition to another part time starter/2nd unit, to graduation.

FIU lost 2 D-Line starters to graduation (One to NFL),and 3 part-time starters/2nd teamers (one to graduation, one transferred to Ole Miss, and the other a season ending injury in preseason).

FIU lost the entire field goal kickers/punters to graduation and the/kickoff and punt returners starters from last season to graduation/academics.

The timing of Cristobal firing definitely hurt in recruiting, as several players de-committed and when Turner was hired, it was very, very late in the recruiting cycle.

In short, the losses mentioned above, are the main reason for this horrible season so far. I don't know how much better any other coach would've done.
09-19-2013 11:45 AM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

The only difference between FIU and FAU student culture is that we are losing on the field. Just because I don't come on here and speak about our student activities doesn't mean that they don't occur.

FIU Summer Fest 2013

FIU's Homecoming Concert

FIU students lead the FIU Football team onto the field. As a matter of fact, the whole cove concept is a rip off the Cavanas concept that is going to happen at FIU arena for basketball. So please, FAU's student life isn't better than FIU's I just don't think it's all that interesting to read stuff like that to begin with so I don't go around posting it. I also have to laugh a little about us changing our culture when FAU doesn't even have a president right now because of all the negative press that was going on during the summer, need I remind you about stomp on bible professor, prisoner beating contributors and mowing down students by your president? No? OK.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013 12:05 PM by FIU Panther Fan.)
09-19-2013 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Short answer - the departure of T.Y. Hilton. It seems that since he left the excitment left with him. When he was going your team was pretty good but when he wasn't your team stuggled. Now he is gone along with the other 30 seniors you refer to.

I don't think the hiring of Ron Turner was very smart. I would not hire anyone from that family. It seems that you could have found another young talent out there like a Cristabol. I don't understand why bad coaches continue to get jobs. I feel for the team that gives Mark Snyder a second chance.
09-19-2013 02:44 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(09-19-2013 11:52 AM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  The only difference between FIU and FAU student culture is that we are losing on the field. Just because I don't come on here and speak about our student activities doesn't mean that they don't occur.

FIU Summer Fest 2013

FIU's Homecoming Concert

FIU students lead the FIU Football team onto the field. As a matter of fact, the whole cove concept is a rip off the Cavanas concept that is going to happen at FIU arena for basketball. So please, FAU's student life isn't better than FIU's I just don't think it's all that interesting to read stuff like that to begin with so I don't go around posting it. I also have to laugh a little about us changing our culture when FAU doesn't even have a president right now because of all the negative press that was going on during the summer, need I remind you about stomp on bible professor, prisoner beating contributors and mowing down students by your president? No? OK.

All of these events, and no students still go to your games. Congrats.
09-19-2013 03:11 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

The ONLY people that showed up for our game against UCF were the FIU students (left on the photo)...

[Image: 736824_10151669877257585_236770823_o.jpg]

Try again

...and for everybody else...

[Image: 1184933_10151690421742585_297377052_n.jpg]

(09-19-2013 03:11 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  
(09-19-2013 11:52 AM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  The only difference between FIU and FAU student culture is that we are losing on the field. Just because I don't come on here and speak about our student activities doesn't mean that they don't occur.

FIU Summer Fest 2013

FIU's Homecoming Concert

All of these events, and no students still go to your games. Congrats.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013 05:12 PM by FIU Panther Fan.)
09-19-2013 05:08 PM
Fish Offline
1st String

What's funny is there are a ton of students tailgating before the game, they just don't stay to watch the game because our team is terrible. Bandwagon Miami fans. You will see them once we start winning. Just two years ago against UCF and Duke the stadium was packed.

FIU has a lot of student activity, it's just most on this board are gauging that off of attendance at sporting events. FIU is one of the ten largest universities in the country. We have a tremendous potential. Our issue is poor leadership stemming from the AD position. Our marketing is terrible and that is obvious. I could also give you a huge list of little things, but I'll spare you. Take my word that things could be run a lot better around here. And I have a feeling they will sooner than later.
09-19-2013 08:00 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
FIU needs a new AD and to give their football coach some time (to see whether he works out or not). Their basketball hire seemed like a good one, all things considered. It's not like Pelini is doing anything at FAU, either (4-11 so far). FAU's attendance isn't good. FAU's basketball had a flash with Jarvis before falling back to blah sort of like what FIU had with Pitino. FAU was called "America's Worst University" in a national online publication earlier this year.

Let's keep these things in perspective. Some goofy student area at a football stadium doesn't a great up-and-coming AD make.
09-19-2013 09:44 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(09-19-2013 11:30 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(09-19-2013 11:26 AM)asonofmarshall Wrote:  I'm interested in hearing what FIU fans bring to this discussion.

FIU needs to have a "Culture" change I think. We got a new coach and a new AD that has brought fresh ideas and energy to the program. Its taken a few years, but the investment seems to be paying off.

Key word is PROGRAM.

Cristobal had a good team for one year...but he took so many short-cuts on and off the field (evidence by APR failures, others kicked out of the program, etc...).

I think FAU is trying to follow in UCF's footsteps in building a PROGRAM...which does sacrifice an immediate "good team now" but in the long haul, a program will be much more successful on and OFF the field (in the classroom, in the stands, etc...).

That seems to be FAU's plan...while FIU doesn't seem to have much long-term goals....but long-term success is not guaranteed.
09-20-2013 07:05 AM
TheFIUtheproud Offline
2nd String

Serious answer for serious question:

I don't have negative comments about other univerisities because it is unnecessary. I may not like one particular university or may dislike the school's football fans, but it is impossible to truly judge a university without being intimately involved in its affairs. Thus, I can only "somewhat" inteligently comment on FIU. I say this b/c I do not work there and graduated many moons ago.

Do any of you REALLY know what is going on at other C-USA universities? Do you really know what is happening at FAU or FIU or even your alma mater? Seriously? Hence, this is why US News school rankings are, for the most part, silly.

With this being said, let me say this: FIU football is at an all-time low point. No doubt there. Our AD has gone from being the savior to a demonized villain. I think he is good and has great connections. His problem is his ego. It is too early too tell what will happen with Coach Turner but he deserves at least two or three years before anyone can truly judge him. And yes it is true that FIU doesn't have great attendance. This has been discussed 1000 times on here. Attendance will only be great when FIU is ranked in the top 25 (if ever). And even then it may not be great. The U of M, the Dolphins, and the Marlins do not even get great attendance. There are 100s of reasons given out for this. I will gladly post these reasons again if needed.

But to tell yourselves that FIU is a dumpster fire and that there is no student life is wrong. And to convince yourselves that FIU will fail in the long term in athletics or academics is delusional wishful thinking. Like it or not the very young and very ambitious FIU is here to stay. And will succeed. And I say the same thing for FAU. For those of you that think otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves!!!
09-20-2013 08:01 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
(09-19-2013 09:44 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  FIU needs a new AD and to give their football coach some time (to see whether he works out or not). Their basketball hire seemed like a good one, all things considered. It's not like Pelini is doing anything at FAU, either (4-11 so far). FAU's attendance isn't good. FAU's basketball had a flash with Jarvis before falling back to blah sort of like what FIU had with Pitino. FAU was called "America's Worst University" in a national online publication earlier this year.

Let's keep these things in perspective. Some goofy student area at a football stadium doesn't a great up-and-coming AD make.

BS. That crack on being America's worst university was some blogger. It wasn't a national publication. Stop making crap up. And the comment was made in jest based on slamming the program because of the sponsor they were going to have for the football stadium. FIU isn't any better and I know plenty that are worse than both.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013 08:08 AM by Ragu.)
09-20-2013 08:08 AM
OwlFamily Offline

I certainly cant slam FIU because to be honest Florida Atlantic has been in the same boat and still is to a degree. I think our AD has changed the culture which he said was bad when he got here.

As I said for a few years now FAU has been very actively working on building a culture around the athletics program and getting the students involved. They have made football and basketball games an "event" that students want to attend. Freshemen are told from day one at school how important FAU athletics is to attend and be a part of. Special areas and events for students on game day are now the norm and students show up. We are all over social media for students. Weve had a mobile billboard driving around town all week for MTSU along with a bi-cycle billboard that has been tooling around campus to keep reminding students. Coach Pelini and our AD visited EVERY greek orginization on Sunday after the USF game to capitalize on the energy from the win and make sure the Greeks are on board. I've heard that the greeks will have seating this year all together as well. They know that to grow you have to have the students on board first, once you start winning Mr. and Mrs. "Local fan" will want in.

PG did some very good things for FIU. His scheduleing of beatable AQ teams and getting 1 for 1 deals was excellent work. FIU hasnt really had many payday games in the last few years. However he's also made some strange moves as well. I really think FIU needs to get rid of him for a fresh slant.
09-20-2013 08:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.