Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Miami vs Cincinnati memories.
Bookmark and Share
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Best Miami vs Cincinnati memories.
My best memories of this series is able to go with my Grandpa every year since 1992. This will be the fourth game since he passed away, but the Victory Bell game was always a circled date on our calendar.

I remember in 1993 when the Cats won the bell, and them storming across the field to claim their prize.

The tie game in 1994 was quite the let down. I was hoping UC would win it twice in a row.

The current winning streak is really nice, and Miami grads I work with claim they don't follow football anymore. It's kind of funny, and kind of sad at the same time, but nothing is better than hearing that bell echo through the stadiums as the Bearcats ring it!

09-16-2013 10:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mbj655 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Best Miami vs Cincinnati memories.
October 25, 1997. My first Victory Bell game in Oxford and the first game I ever took my future wife to. I will never forget UC's incredible goal line stand. At one point, Miami had the ball with the point of the football almost touching the goal line and UC was flagged for an offsides. The referee tried to move it half the distance, but it was impossible to move it any closer.

09-16-2013 11:06 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
1988...100th anniversary game. The Game. I had a bunch of friends from UC come up to visit for the weekend in Oxford, I landed a bunch of student tix and we all wore our UC gear in the Miami student section for the beat down before storming the party scene afterwards.

09-17-2013 05:16 AM
batmn0323 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Wow great thread, brings up memories of my grandpa too.
Having played in the late 40's early 50's my grandpa eat breathed slept and wept uc football and lamented Miami lol. All that said its crazy for me since I'm only in my late 20's the games that really stick out are the ones from the mid 90's since it's been so one-sided lately... 1994 the tie up in Oxford sticks out like a sore thumb for me. I was only 9 but I remember it being an early afternoon kickoff. My grandpa came to pick me up from colerain bowl my Saturday morning junior league, and we headed straight to Oxford from there. We shoulda won that game and we weren't the better football team, we were awful that year.... 2 wins maybe? The other thing I recall about that day is I got a hotdog from concessions up there and I had to have asked my grandpa 5 times at least why Miami had better food than us. Hahaha weird I know.

The other game would have to be the Daryl royal game!! 1996 maybe?? Overtime game... We won I think 30-23, everybody in the building that day knew we were running the ball at em with him that day and he was still unstoppable, 282 yards... I will never forget that name or that number

09-17-2013 07:38 AM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
1996, 3 OT thiller, Royal running wild and the turnover at the goal line to win it.

09-17-2013 07:40 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
A ray of sunshine in the dismal 1980's, Reggie Taylor rushed for over 250 yards, as UC won in a shootout in Riverfront Stadium.

09-17-2013 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
1986 was the first time in the history of the long series that the game was played in September. Prior to that game it was mostly held around Thanksgiving weekend.

After UC defeated the visiting Redskins on Saturday, my fraternity travelled to Oxford the next day to have our own version of the Victory Bell game against the Sig Eps at Miami.

And we kicked their preppy ass.

Also, during the BK years when they still let us on the field after the game, I got to ring the Victory Bell at mid-field.

09-17-2013 10:23 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-17-2013 10:23 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  1986 was the first time in the history of the long series that the game was played in September. Prior to that game it was mostly held around Thanksgiving weekend.

After UC defeated the visiting Redskins on Saturday, my fraternity travelled to Oxford the next day to have our own version of the Victory Bell game against the Sig Eps at Miami.

And we kicked their preppy ass.

Also, during the BK years when they still let us on the field after the game, I got to ring the Victory Bell at mid-field.

I'm jealous Rag - I've always wanted to ring that bell!

09-17-2013 11:02 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
@Miami in 97' I think that was an OT game. Sam rickets hit his receiver in the a s s and UC got an INT and won.
A bunch of UC fans took over the bars post game and dominated the party scene.

09-17-2013 11:10 AM
KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I can tell you some of the worst...... When the clock either was stopped or ran out which enabled Miami to win the game..
I believe it was Sky King that ran back a touch down on the last play of the game...

Like the Illinois game,,, you can get homered at Miami....

09-17-2013 11:20 AM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
(09-17-2013 07:40 AM)FLIP Wrote:  1996, 3 OT thiller, Royal running wild and the turnover at the goal line to win it.

Absolutely...loved that team.

Pretty sure it was the first game in the country using the then-new OT format of alternating possessions.

09-17-2013 11:46 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-17-2013 11:20 AM)KCat Wrote:  I can tell you some of the worst...... When the clock either was stopped or ran out which enabled Miami to win the game..
I believe it was Sky King that ran back a touch down on the last play of the game...

Like the Illinois game,,, you can get homered at Miami....

Cry-ami's clock .... As the old lady in front of me stated, "Son, that clock hasn't worked here in 40 years."

09-17-2013 12:22 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
My best memories of Miami games at Oxford is watching the student section decrease in size to where in the middle of the third quarter you only have the band in the stands across the field.

09-17-2013 01:32 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Every game since BK got here has been pretty excellent... It's a great feeling fleecing them every season. That said, the triple OT game is mine as well.

09-17-2013 05:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcm16 Offline
Water Engineer

I'll date myself with this one.
1968 Nippert Stadium
Bo Schembechler's last game as Miami coach.
UC down big at the beginning of the 4th Qtr.
Homer Rice UC's coach holds up 4 fingers to signal the beginning of the 4th Qtr.
Greg Cook, O'brien and Rossely crank it up.
Jim O'brien kicks a 48 yard field goal into the wind (toward student section) to win it as time expired 23-21!
That was my first Victory Bell game as a Frosh and my best friend (a Miami grad) standing next to me!
Couldn't have been sweeter!

09-17-2013 08:40 PM
dalbc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & LBSU
I probably enjoyed the 1982 game the most. I believe the game was played on a Thursday night at Riverfront Stadium. I attendend the game with about 30 other folks split almost evenly between Redskins and Bearcats fans. Both Miami and UC were pretty decent that year, it was Miami's final game of the season, and for that time period, the crowd was rather sizeable. UC wins 20 - 10 in a well-played, hard-fought game by both teams.

Danny Barrett, Bill Booze, Deno Foster, Antonio Gibson, Don Goodman, Allen Harvin, George Jamison, Mel Jenkins, and Urban Meyer were on the roster. Brian Pillman was a Redskin at that time.

If my memory isn't completely lost, the next weekend against the Howard Schnellenberger coached Miami Hurricanes our Bearcats lost 19 - 13. Time expired when the 'Cats had the ball on Miami's goal line. I think both Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar were on the Hurricanes roster at that time. The 'Canes won the National Championship in 1983.

09-18-2013 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Started going to school in 1984, but I have to admit I have no memories that stand out from the Miami games. Maybe it is from being two hours north of Cincinnati, but the Miami game has always been a minor non-conference game to me, and nothing more. Sort of like if we played Northwestern State every year. Even the home and away part doesn't matter since Miami is the same distance away and tickets there are always available.

09-18-2013 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(09-18-2013 08:18 AM)dalbc Wrote:  I probably enjoyed the 1982 game the most. I believe the game was played on a Thursday night at Riverfront Stadium. I attendend the game with about 30 other folks split almost evenly between Redskins and Bearcats fans. Both Miami and UC were pretty decent that year, it was Miami's final game of the season, and for that time period, the crowd was rather sizeable. UC wins 20 - 10 in a well-played, hard-fought game by both teams.

Danny Barrett, Bill Booze, Deno Foster, Antonio Gibson, Don Goodman, Allen Harvin, George Jamison, Mel Jenkins, and Urban Meyer were on the roster. Brian Pillman was a Redskin at that time.

If my memory isn't completely lost, the next weekend against the Howard Schnellenberger coached Miami Hurricanes our Bearcats lost 19 - 13. Time expired when the 'Cats had the ball on Miami's goal line. I think both Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar were on the Hurricanes roster at that time. The 'Canes won the National Championship in 1983.

I believe that game was one of the first college games ever broadcast on cable's TBS. Sat just a few rows behind the dugout on UC's side. Deno Foster was one intimidating dude.

09-18-2013 10:02 AM
apoe Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I'm a relatively new football fan (season tickets BK's first season), so I have only been witness to the drubbings.

My top Miami curb stomping was Butch's first season. That Bearcat team was awful at times and still played name that score with what ended up being the MAC champ. If I recall correctly Butch had Pead on the bench by late in the second quarter. They could have scored 80 points that night.

The shutout the following year was also pretty sweet.

09-18-2013 11:37 AM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-17-2013 08:40 PM)jcm16 Wrote:  I'll date myself with this one.
1968 Nippert Stadium
Bo Schembechler's last game as Miami coach.
UC down big at the beginning of the 4th Qtr.
Homer Rice UC's coach holds up 4 fingers to signal the beginning of the 4th Qtr.
Greg Cook, O'brien and Rossely crank it up.
Jim O'brien kicks a 48 yard field goal into the wind (toward student section) to win it as time expired 23-21!
That was my first Victory Bell game as a Frosh and my best friend (a Miami grad) standing next to me!
Couldn't have been sweeter!

This. Other than the win over Pitt at Heinz Field to clinch the Sugar Bowl berth, the 1968 game was my favorite UC victory in 55 years of watching Bearcat football. Greg Cook to Jim O'Brien and Tom Rossley. It was the "Hurry Up" offense 25 years before its time! And for those that were not there at Fed Ex Field in Washington last year, the win over Virginia Tech with Munchie's hail Mary pass ranks right up there as well. Sitting in the middle of the stunned VA Tech fans was priceless.

09-18-2013 04:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.