Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The winds of change are at gale force in Austin
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
The winds of change are at gale force in Austin
From Inside the 40 acres

Quote:If the players don't buy in, and they give up on Saturday, leading to a lopsided loss, Mack Brown's 16-year tenure at Texas becomes a lot more complicated.

If there reaches a point when the team gives up on Mack Brown, there have been indications Brown would walk away to spare his bosses, AD DeLoss Dodds and president Bill Powers, more negativity.

Would Brown possibly step down during the season? Or announce the Baylor game would be his last? That answer isn't clear at this point.

But there are indications Dodds may be stepping down as athletic director sooner rather than later. (His contract expires in August of 2015. But Dodds may not even make it to 2014.)

Multiple sources have said Dodds wants his successor to be the one to hire new coaches for football, men's basketball and baseball, if necessary.

Quote:I had someone that I trust tell me on Thursday that Stanford's David Shaw is viewed as a very attractive possible head coaching candidate. The same source that the future AD hire could tell us a lot about the direction of a coaching search and there was even a hint that some behind the scenes really like someone that has ties to Shaw. I'm not predicting anything, but file this little note away for the future.
09-13-2013 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
RE: The winds of change are at gale force in Austin
I suspect that Shaw is ultimately an NFL guy and not long for the college game.
09-13-2013 07:27 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
You knew it was coming. Texas has been mediocre for too long...
09-13-2013 09:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(09-13-2013 07:25 AM)bevotex Wrote:  From Inside the 40 acres

Quote:If the players don't buy in, and they give up on Saturday, leading to a lopsided loss, Mack Brown's 16-year tenure at Texas becomes a lot more complicated.

I watched the entire game and loved it…. Fortunately, I recorded it and was able to watch it again from a different perspective: Either TX isn’t that good or BYU vastly improved in one week after losing to a school that was embarrassed by Oregon. BYU did make changes to its offensive line so that it could be more physical. However, there’s no excuse for letting basically a QB with one good leg rush for over 200 yards and allow the entire team to set a rushing record for schools that have played TX unless the players either gave up or the talent just isn’t there. The commentators suggested that it could be the altitude for the anemic defense by TX. However, I think it was more TX attitude—“BYU lost to a school that got blown out today so this should be a LH stampede.” It was a stampede alright, by a BYU QB wearing a knee brace running through the LH defense like steaks at a buffet. Offensively, BYU had the LHs corralled….
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 09:21 AM by Underdog.)
09-13-2013 09:19 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Dodds and Powers are fools who should be fired immediately.
09-13-2013 09:28 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Yeah, I think it is generally agreed that Shaw can call whatever shot he wants, just like Jim Harbaugh before him. Stanford is a top 5 university with an amazing athletic department located in the Bay area, and Shaw is a former player/alumni. Good luck moving him.
09-13-2013 09:29 AM
Advertisement

Underdog Offline
All American

(09-13-2013 09:28 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Dodds and Powers are fools who should be fired immediately.

Mack Brown and his staff need to be fired if the defense performs that poorly again. What stood out during the game was Brown talking to his staff (I assume it was in regards to stopping the run) and no adjustments were made during the game. BYU was able to keep running straight up the middle the entire game….
09-13-2013 09:42 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The folks running texas don't want equal partnerships with conference members, thus school's of value get out of leagues texas is in:

http://alcalde.texasexes.org/2013/08/deloss-unplugged/

Texas will try to carve out the best league of the weakest types left outside of the sec, big 10 and pac 10. If OU and KU are able to flee to the big 10, its seems likely texas would tie themselves to ND and join the acc is a similar setup.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 11:52 AM by bluesox.)
09-13-2013 09:49 AM
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
(09-13-2013 09:19 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  You knew it was coming. Texas has been mediocre for too long...

Yeah I was willing to give Mack one more shot just because I really like him and he has done wonders for the program. But these types of losses are inexcusable. I know that Mack hiring Greg Robinson was insurance against just this kind of thing. However as head coach (CEO) if he was thinking about insurance, he had to know in his gut something was fundamentally wrong on defense. Given that, he should have also been fired.
09-13-2013 10:04 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I agree. If Ole Miss takes Texas down this weekend the UT fans will force a change sooner than later.
09-13-2013 11:39 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(09-13-2013 11:39 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I agree. If Ole Miss takes Texas down this weekend the UT fans will force a change sooner than later.

We shall see.... TX isn't winning the B12 and might have at least five losses this season. I predict more: OU, OSU, WV (will win at home), and either Baylor or TT (maybe both) could beat TX if its defense doesn't improve.
09-17-2013 11:05 AM
Advertisement

chess Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
I think Mack Brown is gone after this season. The experiment of hiring the new assistant coaches didn't work.

So, who is Texas going to hire?

Al Golden? Art Briles?
09-17-2013 11:12 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
"Had we given up the Longhorn Network, we could have been in the ACC." Interesting comment by Dodds.
09-17-2013 11:20 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
If Mack loses the team, he probably also loses any possibility of gracefully retiring. Assuming the season is lost, and if he finishes the season, it might take years to rebuild. If he goes mid-season, there will only be an interim coach and that won't help. Recruiting has to be negatively affected by either.

Only hope for Texas is that the Longhorns have a big turnaround and Mack announces his retirement around Thanksgiving and Texas can find a new big name coach to commit before December.
09-17-2013 11:22 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(09-17-2013 11:20 AM)XLance Wrote:  "Had we given up the Longhorn Network, we could have been in the ACC." Interesting comment by Dodds.

Could have been in the PAC under the same conditions.
09-17-2013 11:24 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(09-17-2013 11:20 AM)XLance Wrote:  "Had we given up the Longhorn Network, we could have been in the ACC." Interesting comment by Dodds.

TX wasn't leaving TT behind so the ACC was out of the question. The PAC 12 was the only conference willing to take both along with OU and OSU.
09-17-2013 11:46 AM
Advertisement

LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
The fact that Texas looks so bad on the field, combined with the fact that Texas looks like losers at the end of the conference realignment shuffle, makes me believe that Dodds and Brown are done.
09-17-2013 11:51 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(09-17-2013 11:51 AM)LSUtah Wrote:  The fact that Texas looks so bad on the field, combined with the fact that Texas looks like losers at the end of the conference realignment shuffle, makes me believe that Dodds and Brown are done.

I won't say "Dodds and Brown are done." However, TX is definitely done. If the SEC adds another Texas school other than TX, it would be finished....
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 12:02 PM by Underdog.)
09-17-2013 12:01 PM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
(09-17-2013 12:01 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 11:51 AM)LSUtah Wrote:  The fact that Texas looks so bad on the field, combined with the fact that Texas looks like losers at the end of the conference realignment shuffle, makes me believe that Dodds and Brown are done.

I won't say "Dodds and Brown are done." However, TX is definitely done. If the SEC adds another Texas school other than TX, it would be finished....

I don't see the SEC ever adding another Texas school outside of the Longhorns. Despite recent struggles, they are still the prettiest girl in the room, and really the only target the SEC would have. (If the SEC is not courting Florida State, they surely are not going to flirt with any Texas team not named University of Texas).

Just my opinion, but a new A.D. in Texas = Texoma 4 to PAC finally happening.
09-17-2013 12:10 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

(09-17-2013 12:10 PM)LSUtah Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 12:01 PM)Underdog Wrote:  

I don't see the SEC ever adding another Texas school outside of the Longhorns. Despite recent struggles, they are still the prettiest girl in the room, and really the only target the SEC would have. (If the SEC is not courting Florida State, they surely are not going to flirt with any Texas team not named University of Texas).

Just my opinion, but a new A.D. in Texas = Texoma 4 to PAC finally happening.

I'm sure Scott will be on the phone (or fly to TX again) as soon as Dodds steps down....
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 12:15 PM by Underdog.)
09-17-2013 12:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.