Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is BG BCS worthy?
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Is BG BCS worthy?
BGSU really seems to be starting to catch on at a national level right now and that opening week domination of Tulsa caught the eyes of many. I believe they are probably the best hope for the MAC getting a BCS slot this year and I have not seen much of their opening games, but for BG and MAC fans who have followed this team more closely, are they capable of getting to a BCS game?
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 01:01 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
09-12-2013 01:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Is BG BCS worthy?
09-12-2013 01:38 AM
Pulltown Falcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Way, way, way too early to think BCS busting.

This looks like a good team so far, but let's see how the season goes with a young QB and if we can play through the injuries.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 05:06 AM by Pulltown Falcon.)
09-12-2013 05:02 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-12-2013 01:38 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=477

That wasn't necessary. 04-chairshot

IF Ohio sells out every game this season, it benefits Ohio.

IF BG makes a BCS game, it benefits ALL MAC SCHOOLS.

The difference should be blatantly obvious.

P.S. I have NO problems with a thread on Ohio season tixs on this forum or NIU (and MAC) fans celebrating a win over Iowa, etc.
09-12-2013 06:24 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(09-12-2013 05:02 AM)Pulltown Falcon Wrote:  Way, way, way too early to think BCS busting.
+1
09-12-2013 06:28 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-12-2013 01:01 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  BGSU really seems to be starting to catch on at a national level right now and that opening week domination of Tulsa caught the eyes of many. I believe they are probably the best hope for the MAC getting a BCS slot this year and I have not seen much of their opening games, but for BG and MAC fans who have followed this team more closely, are they capable of getting to a BCS game?

No. They don't have a BCS-caliber QB.

NIU might have a better chance but the odds of a MAC team being BCS worthy isn't something we'd expect but say once every 5 - 10 years (e.g., NIU last year and Mia about 10 years ago and Marshall a few years before that).
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 06:33 AM by emu steve.)
09-12-2013 06:33 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(09-12-2013 05:02 AM)Pulltown Falcon Wrote:  Way, way, way too early to think BCS busting.

Exactly. That's two games not even against the best teams on the schedule.

Tulsa beat CSU only by 3 at home and w/ 10 days prep. CSU got thumped by UC.

Kent was w/o their star player.

Let's just see if BG can get by a bad B1G opponent before any wild speculation.
09-12-2013 07:23 AM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
(09-12-2013 06:24 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 01:38 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=477

P.S. I have NO problems with a thread on Ohio season tixs on this forum or NIU (and MAC) fans celebrating a win over Iowa, etc.

I disagree completely. A strong attendance showing from any MAC school benefits the entire MAC. It makes the conference look good. Likewise, a crowd under 5000 embarrasses the MAC and makes the entire conference look like a joke. I'm not going to go to every MAC board to see if a school is selling out their stadium. Selling out is a big enough deal in the MAC that I'd like to see it posted here.

Personally, I love threads like this one. I want to talk about a MAC school potentially winning on the next level for this conference.

I think the MAC has a shot to get a team into a BCS game... The key will be having multiple teams undefeated or at 1 loss. BG and NIU are in front but there are a couple others still in the mix as well if they can win some games here shortly...
09-12-2013 07:30 AM
Falcon1407 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BGSU
(09-12-2013 07:30 AM)The Optimist Wrote:  

I think the MAC has a shot to get a team into a BCS game... The key will be having multiple teams undefeated or at 1 loss. BG and NIU are in front but there are a couple others still in the mix as well if they can win some games here shortly...

Who besides NIU and BG have a shot? Ball State? Ohio and Toledo have 0 chance.
09-12-2013 07:34 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(09-12-2013 01:01 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  BGSU really seems to be starting to catch on at a national level right now and that opening week domination of Tulsa caught the eyes of many. I believe they are probably the best hope for the MAC getting a BCS slot this year and I have not seen much of their opening games, but for BG and MAC fans who have followed this team more closely, are they capable of getting to a BCS game?

NIU has two games against Big 10 teams and one is already in the books. an Undefeated NIU has a better chance than an undefeated BG but it's still way too early to be talking about either happeneing.
09-12-2013 07:44 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(09-12-2013 07:34 AM)Falcon1407 Wrote:  

Any undefeated team has a theoretical shot. No team has a realistic shot.
09-12-2013 08:00 AM
Advertisement

The Optimist Offline
1st String

(09-12-2013 07:34 AM)Falcon1407 Wrote:  

Ball State and Ohio. Maybe Toledo. Not sure about them, but if they win out including potentially great wins over NIU and someone in the MACC...

Look at last year.. Kent got killed in game 1. Had they won the MACC they would've gone to the BCS. Ohio is in the same situation. IF they win out from here to the MACC they will be ranked. Heck.. Getting killed by Louisville will probably look better than Kent getting killed by Kentucky. This assumes they win out... I just want to beat Marshall this week!
09-12-2013 08:10 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
Indiana, Mississippi State, Tulsa, and Murray State > Iowa, Purdue, Eastern Illinois, and Idaho.

We will find out come the MACCG.
09-12-2013 08:33 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(09-12-2013 07:34 AM)Falcon1407 Wrote:  Who besides NIU and BG have a shot? Ball State? Ohio and Toledo have 0 chance.

IT all depends on how the top 4 do. NIU does not get there last season unless Kent goes into the MACC ranked. Same is true this year. Toledo has already played themselves out but BSU can pull off a 12-0 or 11-1 season. If they beat a strong NIU and TOledo along the way before playing a ranked BGSU then yes they most certainly have a shot.
09-12-2013 08:53 AM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
(09-12-2013 07:44 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 06:33 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

NIU might have a better chance but the odds of a MAC team being BCS worthy isn't something we'd expect but say once every 5 - 10 years (e.g., NIU last year and Mia about 10 years ago and Marshall a few years before that).
NIU has two games against Big 10 teams and one is already in the books. an Undefeated NIU has a better chance than an undefeated BG but it's still way too early to be talking about either happeneing.

LOL, NIU fans. So the sky is falling in Dekalb?

NIU busted the BCS last year, brought back its Heisman vote getting QB, already has a win against the Big Ten with another one likely.

OBVIOUSLY, NIU has the best chance to bust the BCS out of all the non-AQs and definitely out of the MAC. I think BG has a great shot as well if they can beat Mississippi State or lose a tight one late in the game and beat an undefeated West team in the MACC. The odds are that that undefeated West team will be NIU, but Ball State has a good chance as well if they can beat NIU in the regular season.

Those are the three realistic (and ONLY potential) BCS busters out of the MAC, with NIU having the best shot out of the three.
09-12-2013 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Much too early to tell if they're able to, it'll depend on how their QB performs throughout the season. Their defense is certainly capable of stopping some good teams, IU will be an interesting matchup seeing how they put up 73 and 35 points on the board in their first two games.

If they're still undefeated after they play Mississippi State, they've got a decent shot at making some waves. IU/Mississippi State/Tulsa/Murray State and Iowa/Purdue/EIU/Idaho are probably better than Iowa/Tennessee State/Army/KU group from the NIU schedule last year.
09-12-2013 09:03 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
If you are talking theoretical and not realistic, actually, KSU would have the best chance. If KSU gets into the MACC at 11-1, it means that they would have beaten a top 10 LSU, a potentially ranked PSU and potentially ranked-in-three-weeks NIU. They could also face a ranked Ball St. or NIU in the MACC. That would be a helluva resume. Nobody else in the MAC at this point has that strong a schedule left to run through.

Like I said, theoretical, not realistic. No MAC team has a good realistic shot and KSU is a longer shot than most.
09-12-2013 09:06 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(09-12-2013 06:33 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I agree that the answer is probably no, but our QB has only had one career start, and he has improved greatly in very limited playing time.

As it's too early to definitively say no, it's too early to say Johnson won't be pretty darned good come bowl time.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 09:18 AM by Redwingtom.)
09-12-2013 09:17 AM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

(09-12-2013 09:06 AM)axeme Wrote:  No MAC team has a good realistic shot

Disagree. NIU has a completely realistic shot. They are probably favored in every game from here out.. If they win all those, they are in.

Not saying they will, but it's completely realistic to think they have a shot.
09-12-2013 09:17 AM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
(09-12-2013 09:06 AM)axeme Wrote:  If you are talking theoretical and not realistic, actually, KSU would have the best chance. If KSU gets into the MACC at 11-1, it means that they would have beaten a top 10 LSU, a potentially ranked PSU and potentially ranked-in-three-weeks NIU. They could also face a ranked Ball St. or NIU in the MACC. That would be a helluva resume. Nobody else in the MAC at this point has that strong a schedule left to run through.

Like I said, theoretical, not realistic. No MAC team has a good realistic shot and KSU is a longer shot than most.

Even in theory this scenario is problematic if BG wins the division. BG could go undefeated in conference but even at 7-1, BG would hold the tie-breaker over Kent and would get to play in the MACC.

In order to bust the BCS a non-AQ team needs to win its conference. Unless, it ranks high enough on its own, but that is very unlikely. A BCS buster will likely have to get in by the Rank #12 or #16 exemption for a conference winner.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 09:22 AM by TARDledo.)
09-12-2013 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.