Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

oSu in some trouble...
Bookmark and Share
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
oSu in some trouble...
In separate interviews seven other former Cowboys told SI they received cash payments; 29 other OSU players were named by teammates as having also taken money. Those payments, which stretched from 2001 to at least '11, were primarily delivered three ways: a de facto bonus system based on performances on the field, managed by an assistant coach; direct payments to players from boosters and coaches independent of performance; and no-show and sham jobs-- including work related to the renovation of Boone Pickens Stadium -- that involved at least one assistant coach and several boosters.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...z2eUsNbPtG
09-10-2013 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: oSu in some trouble...
Even if the coaches involved in this are no longer with the program, there certainly has to be very severe NCAA sanctions on the OSU program in the future right? If no action is taken here, the NCAA will make it official that it has no more power.
09-10-2013 11:06 AM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

http://deadspin.com/the-most-important-p...1283436204

This says most of the money was used for food, clothes, and other basic needs. Still illegal in the NCAA though.
09-10-2013 11:12 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Many people expected sanctions in the Miami investigation too. How's that going for the NCAA?
09-10-2013 11:14 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

Apparently Tim Beckman was "Shocked" to hear about the OSU news as he was the OC there in 07-08
09-10-2013 11:37 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Some things never change.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/a.../index.htm

http://athlonsports.com/college-football...l-programs

This could be an opportunity to invite OSU to Huskie Stadium, like in 1994

Who says big schools never visit HS?
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 12:27 PM by Huskie_Jon.)
09-10-2013 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kulz007 Offline
1st String

oSu in some trouble...
Slap on the wrist followed up with a half game suspension in a meaningless game is my bet.... Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
09-10-2013 01:39 PM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
OSU Orange Pride hostesses engaged in sexual relationships with recruits to get them to commit 04-jawdrop. Please like that doesn't happen at most AQ programs. 03-lmfao
09-10-2013 03:34 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-10-2013 03:34 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  OSU Orange Pride hostesses engaged in sexual relationships with recruits to get them to commit 04-jawdrop. Please like that doesn't happen at most AQ programs. 03-lmfao

OSU should get a death sentence in my opinion, or at least a 5 year football ban.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 03:55 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
09-10-2013 03:55 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(09-10-2013 11:37 AM)NIU8484 Wrote:  Apparently Tim Beckman was "Shocked" to hear about the OSU news as he was the OC there in 07-08

"Someone found out about that?!" - Tim Beckman
09-10-2013 03:57 PM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
Wrists will be slapped. Everyone other big football program does exactly the same thing. Is anyone really suprised that this is coming out? As far as the NCAA is concerned they are about as worthless an organization there is. Rule after rule detailing that atheletes can get bagels for free, but not butter or cream cheese, busting a volleyball player because she used University water and a bucket to wash her car. Nothing will come of this, I repeat NOTHING.
09-10-2013 04:04 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-10-2013 04:04 PM)niuco90 Wrote:  Wrists will be slapped. Everyone other big football program does exactly the same thing. Is anyone really suprised that this is coming out? As far as the NCAA is concerned they are about as worthless an organization there is. Rule after rule detailing that atheletes can get bagels for free, but not butter or cream cheese, busting a volleyball player because she used University water and a bucket to wash her car. Nothing will come of this, I repeat NOTHING.

If nothing comes of this, that will be the biggest disgrace EVER. They at least need to suspend football for a few years.
09-10-2013 04:05 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

well one of the writers, Thayer Evans, is a known Sooner alum and supporter(take that as you will). He has been fired from reporting false news in the past, not saying this isn't true. Most of this happened under Les Miles reign, and Gundy did his best to rid the environment Miles created. If said allegations are true, I would take a HARD look at LSU now. I honestly think nothing comes of this for Okie light, but the specific coaches mentioned might have something coming their way.

Side note: Neither writer spoke to Gundy or a current player, which I find odd.
09-10-2013 04:10 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

This is from the comments section. Kinda long, but worth reading.

Quote:A Summary:
WHAT STANDS OUT:
If the scandal is so rampant and wide spread, and hundreds of people with knowledge, how did it take 10 years to come out?
Cash handed out freely in the locker room right after a game, with press and everyone else around? Again hundreds of people would have known.
Multiple sources in the OSU locker room and inside locker rooms across the nation have all said one thing, "No way this would take place in a locker room, it would be in the press within 5 minutes, let alone 10 years"
Starving players, when there are several meals provided by the athletic department? This just isn't true.
'Boosters became so pervasive after Miles took over that they began connecting with players even before they arrived on campus. (T. Boone Pickens, the school's most prominent booster, was not implicated in any improprieties by SI's sources.) Shaw says that after he decided to attend Oklahoma State in 2001 as a senior at Shawnee (Okla.) High, a booster gave him between $400 and $500."
The problem with that quote: Seymore Shaw originally signed with the University of Oklahoma as a partial qualifier his senior year of HS. He came to OSU in August after the season already started when OU did not give him a scholarship.
“Williams was shot to death in 2007 while a member of the Denver Broncos; Grant died in a car accident in ’05. Bell, DeGrate and Fields all denied getting illicit payments. Bowman did not respond to repeated requests for comment.”
The problem with that quote: Tatum Bell and Josh Fields both publicly stated they were never contacted by SI.
Less than 24 hours into the story and 2 ‘sources’ have claimed their quotes were twisted and manipulated. Pogi even states that he told Evans that the worse that happened at Oklahoma state was horsing around in the locker room.
"let me say this ti all of you, I was never paid or said anything negative about OSU, That Evens guy is trash for what he worte! He took what I said and flipped it to his own words! I never said anything about Bobby Reid, Defo, or John Talley! I am embarrassed and shamed of this articale! I was lied to about what this articale is about and for that I apologize to everyone for! This is something that will get resolved and I will see to that myself!" - Rodrick Johnson

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Thayer Evans played basketball at a school in Oklahoma. Evans was kicked out of school for stealing.
Evan's beat his wife, and there is currently a restraining order against him.
Evans was fired from the Houston Chronicle for lying on his resume
Evans was fired from Fox Sports for making up sources.
He is quite literally a lying, cheating, woman beating, thief. Excuse me if I don't take him at his word.
Just so there are no illusions about Thayer Evans and his thoughts about Oklahoma State:
“…a meltdown by seventh-year Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy is coming just like usual, as evidenced by his sixth-ranked team’s sloppy 38-26 victory Saturday against incompetent No. 22 Texas.”
“Even the rest of the college football world knows Gundy is bound for a debacle. It’s the unspoken reason no one is worried about the Cowboys winning the Big 12 championship, let alone the national title, this season.”
“Everyone is just waiting for Chokie State to once again live up to its nickname under Gundy.”
“Of course, Gundy’s biggest meltdown wasn’t even on a football field. It was four years ago, when he infamously yelled, “I’m a man! I’m 40!” while berating a female newspaper columnist for what she had written. Yet despite his knack for meltdowns, a solemn Gundy managed to avoid one Saturday when asked whether he was haunted by his past failures. “No,” Gundy said. “It’s a new season.” But it’s still the same Gundy, always on the verge of a disaster.”
“And if this season is going to be any different for Gundy, even one of his best players can’t tell you why. When asked why people should believe that Oklahoma State won’t disappoint, Weeden was at a loss for words. “I don’t know,” Weeden said. “We’re not worried about it.” Weeden actually makes a good point. You can’t worry about what’s inevitable.”
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/thayer-...homa-state

Jason Whitlock ‏ @WhitlockJason: My God, this might be the journalistic crime of the century. Boomer Sooner got to write takedown of Okie State. Unreal. #plushesahack
Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason Yes, I'm not speculating about his incompetence. RT @MinnickTaylor: Wasn't Thayer Evans a colleague of yours over at Fox Sports
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.asp...s/11-22173
“But then in addition to that, having worked with Thayer Evans at Fox Sports, having followed his work for some time, I am completely and utterly flabbergasted that a legitimate news outlet would allow Thayer Evans to be involved in some type of investigative piece on college football that tears down a program, and particularly one that tears down Oklahoma State when it is no secret what a huge, enormous, gigantic Oklahoma homer Thayer Evans is. This is just incredible. Knowing the lack of competence that’s there with Thayer Evans, knowing the level of simplemindedness that’s there with Thayer Evans, to base any part of the story on his reporting is mind-boggling. … When I learned Thayer Evans was involved, I just said, there’s no way I’ll read this because there’s no reason to trust this reporter on anything of any substance. If you go back and look at his track record of reporting and the consistent controversy that surrounds his reporting – he made a name for himself at the New York Times by writing these annual stories about some top high school football recruit that he would buddy up to, follow around with a tape recorder and then report what some immature 17-year-old kid said about the recruiting process. These kids tended to come from single-parent families with the mother working and busy, so there wasn’t the normal oversight and anybody with a brain could see the exploitation that was taking place. … It doesn’t surprise me there are sources in this story saying the reporting was heavy-handed and leading. I don’t want to make the whole thing about Thayer Evans, but there’s just no way to avoid it. I’ve worked with him. He’s simpleminded. He’s a hack that can’t write. This isn’t personal, I promise. I have no reason to dislike Thayer Evans personally, and I don’t. But I’ve read enough of his work this guy isn’t qualified for this job and by now Sports Illustrated and anybody else should be well aware of this. Type his name into Google, read his previous work, read how his previous work has been debunked and there’s just no surprise. This story will be shrouded in controversy.”
“ … Let me end by saying this and I honestly mean this without malice. It wouldn’t shock me if Thayer Evans couldn’t spell cat and I say in all seriousness.”– Jason Whitlock
09-10-2013 04:14 PM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
(09-10-2013 04:05 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 04:04 PM)niuco90 Wrote:  Wrists will be slapped. Everyone other big football program does exactly the same thing. Is anyone really suprised that this is coming out? As far as the NCAA is concerned they are about as worthless an organization there is. Rule after rule detailing that atheletes can get bagels for free, but not butter or cream cheese, busting a volleyball player because she used University water and a bucket to wash her car. Nothing will come of this, I repeat NOTHING.

If nothing comes of this, that will be the biggest disgrace EVER. They at least need to suspend football for a few years.

Children were raped at Penn State and all the NCAA did was fine them. Too much money at stake for the NCAA to do much more than give OSU a stern look and tell them not to let it happen again.
09-10-2013 04:16 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-10-2013 04:16 PM)niuco90 Wrote:  

Children were raped at Penn State and all the NCAA did was fine them. Too much money at stake for the NCAA to do much more than give OSU a stern look and tell them not to let it happen again.

It was debatable whether that was completely football sanctioned though. If a very stern and severe penalty is not given to OSU, the NCAA has lost any remaining credibility.
09-10-2013 04:17 PM
Advertisement

Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

If Penn State didn't get the death penalty, these guys won't.
09-10-2013 04:17 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-10-2013 04:17 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  

I don't see how the NCAA cannot give out a death penalty in this case.
09-10-2013 04:18 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

(09-10-2013 04:18 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

because its not provable, if its even true
09-10-2013 04:20 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-10-2013 04:20 PM)PeoriaHuskie11 Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 04:18 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

because its not provable, if its even true

They have ex players on video admitting it.
09-10-2013 04:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.