Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ranking our Opponents
Bookmark and Share
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Ranking our Opponents
Always interesting now that we have a couple of weeks under our belt just to look at how our sched is shaking out. Some teams that looked like potentially strong opponents are looking to be pretty weak. I think this is fueling the unrealistic week 2 BCS talk on the boards. Overall our SOS is looking pretty grim.

Here's my rankings:

12) UMass---god they are awful
11) Idaho---also awful
10) Akron---slightly improved. So still awful
9-7) directional Michigan. They all look like they suck. CMU losing Tipton, EMU being all EMU and #sinktheboat
6) Purdue...they look awful
5) Kent St...even with Archer they are pretty predictable and easy to game plan for. I worried about this one in the PRE-season but not so much at this point.
4) EIU...seriously. I think they could put up a winning record if they played in the MAC this year.
3) Toledo...it's going to be a tough one to win this year with an improve D and all the fire power. But as long as TO is slinging the ball I' feeling pretty confident. He just does not show up in big games.
2). Iowa...I don't think they are very good and I doubt they make a bowl game. They win 9 or 10 games with our sched. Nuff said.
1) Balls Tate. They are the class of our sched. Thank goodness this one is in Dekalb.

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 09:02 PM by scottiep12.)
09-08-2013 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
RE: Ranking our Opponents
NIU's opponents could cause one hell of a toilet clogging. Plumbing overtime.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 09:16 PM by The Frisky Biscuit.)
09-08-2013 09:13 PM
MacDaddie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
(09-08-2013 08:55 PM)scottiep12 Wrote:  Always interesting now that we have a couple of weeks under our belt just to look at how our sched is shaking out. Some teams that looked like potentially strong opponents are looking to be pretty weak. I think this is fueling the unrealistic week 2 BCS talk on the boards. Overall our SOS is looking pretty grim.

Here's my rankings:

11) Idaho---also awful
9-7) directional Michigan. They all look like they suck. CMU losing Tipton, EMU being all EMU and #sinktheboat
5) Kent St...even with Archer they are pretty predictable and easy to game plan for. I worried about this one in the PRE-season but not so much at this point.
4) EIU...seriously. I think they could put up a winning record if they played in the MAC this year.
3) Toledo...it's going to be a tough one to win this year with an improve D and all the fire power. But as long as TO is slinging the ball I' feeling pretty confident. He just does not show up in big games.
2). Iowa...I don't think they are very good and I doubt they make a bowl game. They win 9 or 10 games with our sched. Nuff said.
1) Balls Tate. They are the class of our sched. Thank goodness this one is in Dekalb.

Thoughts?
I think you got most of it spot on. The only change I would make is moving Purdue up a little. If this game was at HS I would leave them where you have them but winning on the road at a Big Ten stadium is still more difficult than I think you are giving it credit.
09-08-2013 09:27 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(09-08-2013 08:55 PM)scottiep12 Wrote:  Always interesting now that we have a couple of weeks under our belt just to look at how our sched is shaking out. Some teams that looked like potentially strong opponents are looking to be pretty weak. I think this is fueling the unrealistic week 2 BCS talk on the boards. Overall our SOS is looking pretty grim.

Here's my rankings:

11) Idaho---also awful

Thoughts?
I would probably go 1). Iowa 2). EIU 3). Toledo 4). Ball State 5. Purdue. After that it is a toss up but UMass and WMU ties for worst.
09-08-2013 09:28 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(09-08-2013 09:28 PM)RobertN Wrote:  

Here's my rankings:

11) Idaho---also awful

Thoughts?
I would probably go 1). Iowa 2). EIU 3). Toledo 4). Ball State 5. Purdue. After that it is a toss up but UMass and WMU ties for worst.

Tough to argue with your rankings scottie, but I do think Iowa is the best team on our schedule.
09-08-2013 09:42 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
EIU will be a good prep for Ball State. Both teams get most of their O through the passing game. EIU is averaging 400 yards a game passing after two games.
09-08-2013 09:44 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

Should I rank them based on just the team or all encompassing as in game location, point of the schedule. Yes this is a lame question, but since my computer crashed and I wait for my new iPad I get bored after I get home from the office.
09-08-2013 10:03 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Toledo is 2nd behind Iowa. Especially having to play at their place. Will not be easy
09-08-2013 11:42 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

12. UMASS
11. Akron (easier than Idaho only because it's at home)
10. Idaho
9. WMU
8. CMU
7. EMU
6. EIU
5. Kent St
4. Purdue
3. Ball St
2. Iowa
1. Toledo
09-09-2013 08:34 AM
BobL Offline
Heisman

12. UMASS
11. Akron
10. Idaho
9. WMU
8. CMU
7. EMU
6. EIU
5. Purdue
4. Kent State
3. Iowa
2. Ball St.
1. Toledo

Yes, I think both Toledo and Ball State beat Iowa, and I think Iowa is improved from last season.
09-09-2013 02:45 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

12. UMass - not much needs to be said
11. Idaho - thats a long travel and a two hour time difference
10. Akron - just better than the others but still miserable
9. EIU - game is at huskie stadium, and NIU is WAY better than them
8. EMU - still in the FBS so they trump EIU, but not by much
7. WMU - they look really bad so far, but PJ will be amped for this game
6. CMU - Mt. Pleasant has been horrendous to the dogs
5. Kent State - really wanted to flip flop them and CMU, because I don't think highly of them but they have Archer and CMU doesnt have Tipton
4. Purdue - honestly NIU should win big, but it's on the road so that's the only reason for their ranking, showing how bad this schedule is
3. Ball State - their defense is way worse than Iowa's and it's in DeKalb
2. Iowa - didnt play well this week, but Kinnick is tough and they may somehow get to .500
1. Toledo - the Glass Bowl is a tough spot, plus I think Toledo has at least three losses by this point (1 for sure in the MAC, they are losing to either Ball or BG), so with that, being at home, they will want to ruin the NIU season. But TO is garbage against the Huskies.
09-09-2013 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Kulz007 Offline
1st String

The key is That everyone of these teams are beatable. In fact as I look at it I don't see a single game where NIU will not be favored. Coaching and focus will be key.. But we can take all of these teams. Side note: Toledo is the game to be worried about.
09-09-2013 04:00 PM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
1. Nutsack State
2. Toleo
3-11. Doesn't matter, and quite frankly if any of them are close we're in trouble.
09-09-2013 04:12 PM
Kulz007 Offline
1st String

Nut sack st., I am going to steel that one... Well played.
09-09-2013 04:23 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

Here is a dilemma, what would be better for NIU, a big win for WMU and the MAC in Iowa City, or a Hawkeye win?
09-09-2013 08:58 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Iowa win. We need them to be above .500 when the season is over.
09-09-2013 09:03 PM
Advertisement

Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
Iowa
BSU
EIU
Toledo
Purdue
Kent St
CMU
EMU
WMU
Akron
Idaho
UMASS
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 10:05 PM by Poliicious.)
09-09-2013 10:03 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

My rankings would be (based on quality of team, not home/away scenarios):

1t) Toledo
1t) Iowa
3) Ball State
4) Purdue
5) EIU
6) Kent
7) WMU
8) CMU
9) EMU
10) Akron
11) Idaho
12) UMass
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 10:09 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
09-09-2013 10:09 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-09-2013 02:45 PM)BobL Wrote:  12. UMASS
11. Akron
10. Idaho
9. WMU
8. CMU
7. EMU
6. EIU
5. Purdue
4. Kent State
3. Iowa
2. Ball St.
1. Toledo

Yes, I think both Toledo and Ball State beat Iowa, and I think Iowa is improved from last season.

That's very similar to how i would rank them, but i would put Ball State #1 and Toledo #2.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 12:00 AM by epasnoopy.)
09-09-2013 11:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

Might as well join in the rankings. basing mine on quality and location

1. Iowa
2. Toledo
3. Ball State
4. Purdue
5. Kent State
6. CMU
7. EIU
8. WMU
9. EMU
10. Idaho
11. Akron
12. UMASS
09-10-2013 12:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.