Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I feel bad for Flu
Bookmark and Share
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
I feel bad for Flu
Flu had an outstanding game.

Over 200 yards total offense, split evenly between rushing and receiving (6.5 yd/carry & 10 yd/rec), against an "SEC defense" that we are constantly reminded is supposed to be so much stronger, faster, better than a "MAC defense". The game was very winnable by UT, and if we had pulled it out, it would have made national headlines, and Flu's name would have likely been first and foremost as the reason why - shown for all the NFL scouts and award committees to see. But, because we had so many other mistakes and missed chances, his effort is likely to be lost on most, and only known by UT fans, and the folks in Columbia. Hopefully the scouts and committees can look past the other things and this still resonates with all of them.

The New York Times, at least took notice, and listed his performance as one of the best this Saturday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/sports....html?_r=0
09-08-2013 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: I feel bad for Flu
Year in and year out guys from Kent State show up on NFL rosters. The Number one overall pick last year came from a middle-of-the-pack MAC team. The NFL scouts don't miss much. the day Flu had will not be lost on them- If there were questions re: his ability to catch out of the backfield, he answered them. if there were questions about his ankle, he answered them byt breaking a few on the Miss defenders. This guy will be on an NFL team next year.
09-08-2013 10:09 AM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
(09-08-2013 10:03 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Flu had an outstanding game.

Over 200 yards total offense, split evenly between rushing and receiving (6.5 yd/carry & 10 yd/rec), against an "SEC defense" that we are constantly reminded is supposed to be so much stronger, faster, better than a "MAC defense". The game was very winnable by UT, and if we had pulled it out, it would have made national headlines, and Flu's name would have likely been first and foremost as the reason why - shown for all the NFL scouts and award committees to see. But, because we had so many other mistakes and missed chances, his effort is likely to be lost on most, and only known by UT fans, and the folks in Columbia. Hopefully the scouts and committees can look past the other things and this still resonates with all of them.

The New York Times, at least took notice, and listed his performance as one of the best this Saturday.

SO you are saying nobody noticed "except" for the NY Times??
Interesting....
09-08-2013 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
On this I certainly agree! Flu's performance was not one that had to be viewed thru rose-colored glasses to be seen as exceptional. If he had not come to play that would have been an ugly loss rather than a disappointing one.
09-08-2013 10:19 AM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2013 10:15 AM)owen Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 10:03 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  The New York Times, at least took notice, and listed his performance as one of the best this Saturday.

SO you are saying nobody noticed "except" for the NY Times??
Interesting....

A Google News search for "Fluellen" today, pretty much only turns up articles from in and around Missouri and from the blade & Collegian - other than that NYT article. I sure hope others noticed, but I can't find evidence at the moment.
09-08-2013 10:19 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

Not many are going to take notice from one game, about a guy on a team who lost to a middle of the pack BCS Team. Pro Souts and people in the know, know, but for average fans and mainstream media it is not much of a story. Fluellen is going to destroy the MAC and have incredible numbers this year. If the numbers become large enough, others will notice.
09-08-2013 11:16 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

He's part of a team. We have several guys in the NFL that were "better." Nothing to feel sorry for.

We are lucky to have him and all the kids.
09-08-2013 11:23 AM
Blitz Offline
2nd String

Not to worry. He’s going to generate obnoxious stats over the rest of the year (running through the MAC), which will draw the attention of lots of scouts. They will, inevitably, wonder how he would perform against “top” defenses, which will lead them to revisiting his stats against UofFL and UofMO.

The team needs only needs to worry about winning enough games to get into a respectable bowl against a respectable team, whereby Flu can punctuate his stats by running through another OOC defense.
09-08-2013 12:07 PM
tolfbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo/Browns
Stats will get him the looks. Measurables will ultimately determine his future. He will be fine as long as health stays with him. Great young man off the field.
09-08-2013 01:12 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
I really like Fluelllens game. I think he is the top back in he league. Wouldn't mind him on the huskie roster. However, IMO he isn't a solid NFL prospect. It's kind of tough to be a back coming out of a strictly no huddle shotgun team to a more pro-style offense. Stats often get inflated in those systems. Lynch is a primary example of that. I think he's a great MAC player but I don't see him making much of an impact at the next level.

He isn't a Chester Taylor or Michael Turner type of guy.
09-08-2013 01:50 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Big, strong, good speed, great vision and balance, runs through good defenses, great hands and excellent yards after catch. You are nuts JWN. Fluellen has everything Taylor and Turner had.
09-08-2013 03:14 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2013 01:50 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  I really like Fluelllens game. I think he is the top back in he league. Wouldn't mind him on the huskie roster. However, IMO he isn't a solid NFL prospect. It's kind of tough to be a back coming out of a strictly no huddle shotgun team to a more pro-style offense. Stats often get inflated in those systems. Lynch is a primary example of that. I think he's a great MAC player but I don't see him making much of an impact at the next level.

He isn't a Chester Taylor or Michael Turner type of guy.

He doesn't visually seem to have the quicks but he makes a lot of yards by making people miss him. He's not exactly a fullback bulldozing over people. I think maybe his size is deceiving and he's quicker than he looks from the stands. Time will tell.
09-08-2013 04:36 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I just said he was good. But dude don't get your panties in a knot.

He is hardly as good as Turner was. Turner was an all pro running back and a legit Heisman contender. Like I said Fluellen is a really good player, but turner was one of the best backs this conference has seen.

Garrett Wolfe also had all those attributes you mentioned and didn't make it in the NFL. It's a different monster. Also what do you qualify as good defenses? Missouri is okay, but MAC defenses are pretty weak
09-08-2013 06:24 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
(09-08-2013 03:14 PM)PTLROCK Wrote:  Big, strong, good speed, great vision and balance, runs through good defenses, great hands and excellent yards after catch. You are nuts JWN. Fluellen has everything Taylor and Turner had.

I don't want to fight over how a current player sizes up to a UT great like Chester or an All-MAC great like Turner. Those guys had amazing careers and entering their senior seasons already looked like NFL locks. Fluellen has more to prove still. Parmele for example had a senior season that got him NFL looks.
09-08-2013 07:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Just got back from Mizzou. Fluellen was a beast and I told my son at the beginning of the game that Mizzou has to watch him and Reedy and that Owens will make some plays and is talented, but he will probably throw at least 2-3 balls that Mizzou will have a very good chance to pick off. If he plays as good as his talent and he doesn't make mistakes, Toledo will be hard to beat.

That said, I agree Fluellen is a stud and will make all MAC defenses (not sure about BG), look bad. If Owens cuts down his mistakes, you guys will be vying for a MAC title. Your defense looked pretty good until 4th qtr when they looked a little tired. I think Mizzou and Toledo sometimes went away from what was working. Seems like Toledo never tried to throw a deep ball (besides the one down the sideline that scored a TD in the 3rd qtr).

It definitely was a close game and I thought besides a few major mistakes, your team looked real good. That was my first time watching Mizzou, so I am not sure how good they are. Looking forward to playing you for the MAC West title again. 04-cheers

p.s. How did you like the Mizzou tailgating and game experience?
09-08-2013 07:15 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(09-08-2013 06:24 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  I just said he was good. But dude don't get your panties in a knot.

He is hardly as good as Turner was. Turner was an all pro running back and a legit Heisman contender. Like I said Fluellen is a really good player, but turner was one of the best backs this conference has seen.

Garrett Wolfe also had all those attributes you mentioned and didn't make it in the NFL. It's a different monster. Also what do you qualify as good defenses? Missouri is okay, but MAC defenses are pretty weak

Not sure what you mean by Wolfe not making it in the NFL but I consider a four year career making it. Not like he had a cup of coffee and got released . Fluellen weighs 30 pounds more as well and had a huge year last year. He'll certainly get some long looks next year.
09-08-2013 07:38 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I love Wolfe and am a big bears fan, but I meant he wasn't a stud at that level. He was a great special teams player and very undersized. I'm just saying Flu is very good but has an uphill climb, even though he is larger.

I mainly reference Wolfe because he was perhaps the best back in MAC history and torched OSU and Michigan but was never a playmaker at the next level. That was all. I'm not trying to discredit Fluellen I just want to point out the nfl is an extremely difficult league.
09-08-2013 08:05 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(09-08-2013 08:05 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  I love Wolfe and am a big bears fan, but I meant he wasn't a stud at that level. He was a great special teams player and very undersized. I'm just saying Flu is very good but has an uphill climb, even though he is larger.

I mainly reference Wolfe because he was perhaps the best back in MAC history and torched OSU and Michigan but was never a playmaker at the next level. That was all. I'm not trying to discredit Fluellen I just want to point out the nfl is an extremely difficult league.

Can't argue with much of that. Few MAC backs have excelled in the NFL. Preston had a couple years, Taylor, Nottingham, Carpenter had a long career but was more of a blocker in the pros. Turner was pretty good, Wolfe wasn't. We've done much better with receivers and QBs.
09-08-2013 08:34 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(09-08-2013 08:34 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 08:05 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  I love Wolfe and am a big bears fan, but I meant he wasn't a stud at that level. He was a great special teams player and very undersized. I'm just saying Flu is very good but has an uphill climb, even though he is larger.

Can't argue with much of that. Few MAC backs have excelled in the NFL. Preston had a couple years, Taylor, Nottingham, Carpenter had a long career but was more of a blocker in the pros. Turner was pretty good, Wolfe wasn't. We've done much better with receivers and QBs.

That was my main point, tough sledding for that move. IMO I thought turner was a premier back in the NFL when he got his shot, he spent too many seasons behind LT before he was showcased.

I saw a Toledo guy was on either on the giants or cowboys I don't remember, but it was good to hear he Doug Free and another MAC guys say their schools on Sunday night football.04-cheers
09-08-2013 09:28 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(09-08-2013 09:28 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 08:34 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

That was my main point, tough sledding for that move. IMO I thought turner was a premier back in the NFL when he got his shot, he spent too many seasons behind LT before he was showcased.

I saw a Toledo guy was on either on the giants or cowboys I don't remember, but it was good to hear he Doug Free and another MAC guys say their schools on Sunday night football.04-cheers

Barry Church for the Cowgirls. Safety. Just scored a 27 yard TD on a fumble return.
09-08-2013 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.