Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is GOP losing presidential elections?
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Why is GOP losing presidential elections?
Probably b/c it nominates candidates like this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03...59871.html

Quote:Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) blasted Fox News' Brian Kilmeade on Tuesday for questioning members of a Syrian opposition groups' use of the phrase "Allahu Akbar" after what Kilmeade said "looks like a fighter jet being shot out of the sky."

“I have a problem helping those people screaming that after a hit,” Kilmeade said.

McCain criticized Kilmeade for his skepticism of the phrase, which means "God is greater" or "God is the greatest" in Arabic.

“Would you have a problem with an American person saying ‘Thank God? Thank God?'" McCain said. “That’s what they're saying. Come on! Of course they're Muslims, but they're moderates and I guarantee you they are moderates.”

Of course that begs the question, why is the GOP nominating candidates like this? 03-banghead
09-06-2013 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Why is GOP losing presidential elections?
(09-06-2013 10:29 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Probably b/c it nominates candidates like this

Quote:Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) blasted Fox News' Brian Kilmeade on Tuesday for questioning members of a Syrian opposition groups' use of the phrase "Allahu Akbar" after what Kilmeade said "looks like a fighter jet being shot out of the sky."

“I have a problem helping those people screaming that after a hit,” Kilmeade said.

McCain criticized Kilmeade for his skepticism of the phrase, which means "God is greater" or "God is the greatest" in Arabic.

“Would you have a problem with an American person saying ‘Thank God? Thank God?'" McCain said. “That’s what they're saying. Come on! Of course they're Muslims, but they're moderates and I guarantee you they are moderates.”

Of course that begs the question, why is the GOP nominating candidates like this? 03-banghead

I don't think we have any idea who the rebels are and that in of itself is reason enough to be very cautious when it comes to getting involved in Syria's civil war.
09-06-2013 10:32 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
This is the best available when the rest of the choices are clowns.
09-06-2013 10:32 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
McCain lost his mind a lot more the last several years.
Was proven when he backed his "buddy" Kerry.
09-06-2013 10:43 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2013 10:43 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  McCain lost his mind a lot more the last several years.

To think had he taken Kerry's VP deal, he might be president right now.
09-06-2013 10:45 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
McC is lost. But after what Obama has done, I don't see the GOP having a difficult time going forward.
09-06-2013 10:59 AM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Well, they lost the last one because of LOL Paul Ryan. The second I heard Romney named him as his VP nominee, I called it. Dude's a nut.
09-06-2013 11:04 AM
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
I have always said Obamas wins were because of a lack of viable choices
09-06-2013 11:05 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-06-2013 10:45 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 10:43 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  McCain lost his mind a lot more the last several years.

I would have voted for Kerry and McCain over Shrub and Cheney, if it would have made a difference. Otherwise I would have stuck with my straight libertarian ticket.

But no way was I going to vote for a ticket with Johnny the Ambulance Chaser on it in any capacity. He has turned out to be exactly the sleazebag/slimeball that I always knew he was. I wonder if Obama will someday prove me right on him too.
09-06-2013 11:06 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2013 11:06 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I would have voted for Kerry and McCain over Shrub and Cheney, if it would have made a difference. Otherwise I would have stuck with my straight libertarian ticket.

But no way was I going to vote for a ticket with Johnny the Ambulance Chaser on it in any capacity. He has turned out to be exactly the sleazebag/slimeball that I always knew he was. I wonder if Obama will someday prove me right on him too.

But they had great hair though. There campaign could have been a Pert Plus commercial.

I think McCain would have pushed Kerry over the top. It's sad, they're both pathetic shells of their former selves.
09-06-2013 11:09 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE

McCain has simply lacked the sense of timing that is necessary to reach the top rung. Clinton started running in 1991 when it seemed like Bush/41 was unbeatable. Obama started running in 2007 when it looked like Hillary! was unbeatable. They went against the odds and it paid off for them.

On the other hand... McCain passed up a presidential bid in 1995 so that he could support his friend Phil Gramm. (Yes, seriously). Gramm flamed out after the first primary and the nomination went to Bob Dole, who lost 49% to 41% with 8.5 going to Perot. Had McCain sought the GOP nomination that cycle, he would have won it, he would have had Perot's full and enthusiastic support in the general election, and he would have thrashed Clinton. And if he had been the incumbent GOP president in 2000, then of course Governor George W. Bush of Texas wouldn't have had the opportunity to run that year.

Impossible to say now with any certainty, of course, but I personally believe that if McCain had been elected president in 1996 and 2000, then 9/11 wouldn't have happened, with all the consequences that held for the future.
09-06-2013 12:23 PM
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(09-06-2013 10:29 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Probably b/c it nominates candidates like this

Because worthwhile candidates don't want their life destroyed by the media.
09-06-2013 12:28 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-06-2013 12:28 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  worthwhile candidates don't want their life destroyed by the media.
So true.
09-06-2013 12:29 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2013 12:23 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

McCain has simply lacked the sense of timing that is necessary to reach the top rung. Clinton started running in 1991 when it seemed like Bush/41 was unbeatable. Obama started running in 2007 when it looked like Hillary! was unbeatable. They went against the odds and it paid off for them.

On the other hand... McCain passed up a presidential bid in 1995 so that he could support his friend Phil Gramm. (Yes, seriously). Gramm flamed out after the first primary and the nomination went to Bob Dole, who lost 49% to 41% with 8.5 going to Perot. Had McCain sought the GOP nomination that cycle, he would have won it, he would have had Perot's full and enthusiastic support in the general election, and he would have thrashed Clinton. And if he had been the incumbent GOP president in 2000, then of course Governor George W. Bush of Texas wouldn't have had the opportunity to run that year.

Impossible to say now with any certainty, of course, but I personally believe that if McCain had been elected president in 1996 and 2000, then 9/11 wouldn't have happened, with all the consequences that held for the future.

Pretty much all of this I agree with.

I thought McCain wasn't far enough removed from the S&L scandal in 1996. Life was good in 1996. I find it hard for anyone to beat Clinton that year. He called off the dogs on Dole.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 12:41 PM by firmbizzle.)
09-06-2013 12:38 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-06-2013 12:28 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

Colin Powell being a prime example.
09-06-2013 01:10 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2013 01:10 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

Colin Powell is 80 and is still the best candidate for the 2016 elections.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 01:21 PM by firmbizzle.)
09-06-2013 01:19 PM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-06-2013 01:19 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 01:10 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

Colin Powell is 80 and is still the best candidate for the 2016 elections.

I still wish he would have ran for POTUS but completely understand him not wanting to put up with all that nonsense.
09-06-2013 01:20 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(09-06-2013 12:23 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

Very insightful.
09-06-2013 01:25 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
because their candidates have to be 100% on the right side of the political spectrum, and have a mentality of do whats best for the party first, country second, to win the GOP nomination
09-06-2013 02:23 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Pretty sure it's because of ACORN.
09-06-2013 03:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.