Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Florida State receivers wide open all night vs. Pitt
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Florida State receivers wide open all night vs. Pitt
The Frosh QB for Florida St looked great. But to be fair, he wasn't threading many needles. Pitt's secondary had more holes than swiss cheese.

Chryst may be an offensive genius. But he won't win much at Pitt until he figures out how to play defense.

With Penn St on probation and facing severe scholarship reductions in coming years, Pitt needs to make hay while the sun shines. If they ever want to start dominating college football in the state of Pennsylvania, the time is now.
09-02-2013 11:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Florida State receivers wide open all night vs. Pitt
(09-02-2013 11:29 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  With Penn St on probation and facing severe scholarship reductions in coming years, Pitt needs to make hay while the sun shines. If they ever want to start dominating college football in the state of Pennsylvania, the time is now.

Dominating might be a bit too ambitious, but Pitt ought to take the opportunity to make big strides forward now while Penn State is under sanctions, as UCLA has done during USC's probation.
09-02-2013 11:40 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Our defense was soft as a pillow tonight. Felt it had more to do w/ schematics than it did talent. Only rushed 4 maybe 5 every play and our CB's played at least 10-15 yards off the LOS.
09-02-2013 11:46 PM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Someone said a couple of weeks ago that the ACC would be surprised how good Pitt and CUSE really are. Really? CUSE had one good year in the Big East in football since 2005, same for Pitt. Other than that, both schools were middle of the pack, CUSE at times on the bottom. Neither school performed well in football and both will do the same in the ACC. Cuse hired an assistant as it's new coach, and Pitt continues with the coach that was running the program into the ground last year. Also the only guy that would not leave after a couple of years. Both schools are reeling in football. Not sure why the ACC chose both other than academics and ESPN's nudge. Both schools do not deserve to be in the ACC for football. Both schools will be at the bottom this year in the ACC football standings. After Boeheim retires, CUSE will wish it was in the Big East again. Florida State exposed Pitt's pass defense with a freshman QB. Funny thing, Pitt has some top players, but lousy coaching.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 05:02 AM by Vewb1.)
09-03-2013 05:00 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Maybe it was because FSU has some pretty good receivers? Naw, that's to simple for some people to understand. Right. it had to do with schematics. LOL
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 07:30 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
09-03-2013 07:29 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Winston was great. There were a couple of passes of his that should have been at least batted down, if not picked off though. Most of his passes were to incredibly wide open receivers and he put the ball right on the money and in stride with them. And while Jameis has some wheels and can buy himself some time, the length of his throwing motion is reminiscent of a certain former UF QB who can't quite cut it in the NFL.
09-03-2013 08:11 AM
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
That Winston kid is for real. I hate saying that too, but he's legit. If FSU can keep their defense on the rails, they'll win the ACC. Pitt didn't look horrible but they were definitely outplayed and outclassed from a talent perspective. ACC recruiting should help with that.
09-03-2013 08:23 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(09-03-2013 05:00 AM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Someone said a couple of weeks ago that the ACC would be surprised how good Pitt and CUSE really are. Really? CUSE had one good year in the Big East in football since 2005, same for Pitt. Other than that, both schools were middle of the pack, CUSE at times on the bottom. Neither school performed well in football and both will do the same in the ACC. Cuse hired an assistant as it's new coach, and Pitt continues with the coach that was running the program into the ground last year. Also the only guy that would not leave after a couple of years. Both schools are reeling in football. Not sure why the ACC chose both other than academics and ESPN's nudge. Both schools do not deserve to be in the ACC for football. Both schools will be at the bottom this year in the ACC football standings. After Boeheim retires, CUSE will wish it was in the Big East again. Florida State exposed Pitt's pass defense with a freshman QB. Funny thing, Pitt has some top players, but lousy coaching.

I really think you should seek professional help with your obsession over Syracuse/Boeheim. This thread is about the Pitt/FSU game. You are the only person who, once again, brought up SU/Boeheim. Plus its football season. 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 08:27 AM by cuseroc.)
09-03-2013 08:26 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(09-03-2013 08:26 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 05:00 AM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Someone said a couple of weeks ago that the ACC would be surprised how good Pitt and CUSE really are. Really? CUSE had one good year in the Big East in football since 2005, same for Pitt. Other than that, both schools were middle of the pack, CUSE at times on the bottom. Neither school performed well in football and both will do the same in the ACC. Cuse hired an assistant as it's new coach, and Pitt continues with the coach that was running the program into the ground last year. Also the only guy that would not leave after a couple of years. Both schools are reeling in football. Not sure why the ACC chose both other than academics and ESPN's nudge. Both schools do not deserve to be in the ACC for football. Both schools will be at the bottom this year in the ACC football standings. After Boeheim retires, CUSE will wish it was in the Big East again. Florida State exposed Pitt's pass defense with a freshman QB. Funny thing, Pitt has some top players, but lousy coaching.

I really think you should seek professional help with your obsession over Syracuse/Boeheim. This thread is about the Pitt/FSU game. You are the only person who, once again, brought up SU/Boeheim. Plus its football season. 01-wingedeagle

I tend to agree that Syracuse basketball shouldn't be an issue. I do believe that northeast football in general isn't very good. Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, BC, Temple, Penn State, UMass, and Buffalo as a collective group are not the most talented bunch. Being in the ACC should provide Syracuse and Pitt an opportunity to recruit better players.
09-03-2013 08:46 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Pitt represented the Big East in the BCS once in 22 years. That was an 8 team league. They are now in a 7-team division with Miami and Virginia Tech who dominated the Big East.

If it's the same old Pitt, they should expect to win their ACC division once every 20 years, give or take.

If they can make hay while the sun shines and take advantage of Penn State's lack of available scholarships, then Pitt has the potential to do significantly better than that. Time will tell.
09-03-2013 08:56 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American

ESPN told the ACC to take Pitt and Cuse....
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 09:20 AM by Underdog.)
09-03-2013 09:19 AM
Advertisement

OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
Pitts problems aren't the players they get, they get good players. Pitts biggest problems are coaching turnover, lack of fan support, a weak athletic director and being stuck in a city obsessed with the local pro team.
09-03-2013 09:24 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The thing that stuck out most to me was the fact that Pitt's kicker's name was "Blew it". Not a good omen coming into a big game...

[Image: 1185203_10151865895456672_1626214445_n.jpg]
09-03-2013 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-03-2013 12:10 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The thing that stuck out most to me was the fact that Pitt's kicker's name was "Blew it". Not a good omen coming into a big game...

Given those schools' troubled history with kickers, maybe Mr. Blewitt should be kicking for Florida State or Boise State. 03-lmfao
09-03-2013 12:43 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-03-2013 12:43 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 12:10 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The thing that stuck out most to me was the fact that Pitt's kicker's name was "Blew it". Not a good omen coming into a big game...
Given those schools' troubled history with kickers, maybe Mr. Blewitt should be kicking for Florida State or Boise State. 03-lmfao
I don't think kicking is going to be at issue for FSU this season. Jameis looks like one heck of a QB. By season's end, after he gets some college level experience, he's going to be very formidable...
09-03-2013 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Re: RE: Florida State receivers wide open all night vs. Pitt

He was a bright spot in an otherwise poor showing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
09-03-2013 12:57 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-03-2013 12:57 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  

He was a bright spot in an otherwise poor showing.
True. But you got to admit, it is a funny name for a kicker...
09-03-2013 12:59 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(09-02-2013 11:29 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Chryst may be an offensive genius. But he won't win much at Pitt until he figures out how to play defense.

They were top 20 in total defense last year and returned 9 starters. I think FSU just outclassed Pitt. Plain and simple.

I think Pitt will be fine.
09-03-2013 01:33 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(09-03-2013 12:43 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Yea, Janikowski, Gano and Hopkins. Turrble kickers.
09-03-2013 01:47 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
This is very simple. Pitt's administration, big boosters and many of our fans are totally nuts and they are their own worst enemy.

Don't get me wrong, a great many schools have crazy, temperamental boosters who think they know more about football than they actually do. The difference is most schools' admins are smart enough to not listen to the reactionary goofs. Not at Pitt. Nope, our admins listen to the lunatic fringe and almost always with disastrous consequences. And yet we never seem to learn from it.

Isn't that delightful?

Including interim coaches, Pitt has had six head coaches in the past four seasons. SIX! That is a lot of coaching turnover for any program to overcome. To make matters worse, each coach played a different system than his predecessor. For example, Dave Wannstedt was an NFL guy who ran NFL schemes. He wasn't Vince Lombardi by any means but neither was he nearly as bad as some would have you believe.

Wannstedt was assembling his best recruiting class at Pitt - top 10 in the nation according to both Rivals and Scout - when he and his entire staff was fired. Pitt had won 10 games just the year prior but Pitt's fans and admins were incredulous that Pitt could lose to the likes of Cincinnati and Connecticut, so they fired the guy.

Please note that was NEVER my attitude so don't get pissy with me. However, that was the prevailing sentiment at Pitt at that time and that is why Wannstedt was fired. The mentality here is that it is a disgrace for schools like Cincinnati, Connecticut, Rutgers and even West Virginia to ever be better than Pitt and if they are, then someone needs to pay.

How completely crazy and self-destructive is that mindset? I'd say that the results speak for themselves.

Here's a perfect example, during the 2005 season in which Walt Harris was leading Pitt to a BCS game, Pitt's admin informed him that his contract would not be extended. Why? Because they didn't like the direction of the program and because it was "a fluke BCS appearance" anyway. Who else is crazy enough to do that following a BCS appearance? Nobody, that's who.

Anyway, when Wannstedt and his entire staff was fired, they brought in Michael Haywood who was a complete maniac.

Haywood had the worst, most bizarre introductory press conference I have ever seen. Most such events are filled with laughter and rehearsed one liners and promises of a better tomorrow and all the rest of that BS. Remember, I'm a Pitt fan and as such I have seen my fair share of introductory press conferences.

During Haywood's introductory press conference, there was no laughing or joking at all - just a man who looked like he was going to pass out and/or physically attack someone.

I am not kidding that when I say that when Haywood was asked to compare his coaching style to someone else's, his answer was Freddie Krueger. That is not a joke. He also talked about he he liked to nap under lockers before games.

Immediately following the press conference, everyone who saw it was very alarmed and concerned for the man's emotional stability.

Haywood promptly chased away all of Pitt's assistant coaches, top recruits and even some members of the team. A few weeks later he did even greater damage to the program - and confirmed everyone's fears regarding his psyche - by battering his baby mama outside of her home.

He was promptly fired before he could do any further damage to the program. Unfortunately that whole episode destroyed that entire recruiting class - mostly because of its unfortunate timing.

Enter Todd Graham, a pure spread, hurry-up offense, flash and dash kind of guy. The definition of a classic fast talking, Texas snake oil salesman - a complete creep. His recruits were all small, quick and lean and he quickly ran off most of Wanny's remaining players and brought in a bunch of questionable kids from Texas, Oklahoma and the Deep South. Graham was gone less than a year later and almost all of his recruits left with him. What do you think that did to a program already on shaky ground?

His replacement, Paul Chryst is a stereotypical ground and pound, two TE traditional Big Ten football kind of guy. His recruits - out of necessity - are all big, burly types. So, bye bye all of those little shifty guys and hello bruisers.

In addition to that, our top recruit from two seasons ago, Rushel Shell, turned out to be a complete goof and basically quit the team because they made him do horrible things like lift weights, condition in the off-season and put down the pipe.

Oh, the humanity!

The kid quit the team and when he found out Pitt wouldn't release him to Arizona State to play for Graham, he immediately began personally contacting all of Pitt's recruiting targets trying to convince them to go elsewhere. After a prolonged process, he finally decided to transfer to UCLA. Soon thereafter he learned that UCLA had similar policies in place as Pitt regarding lifting weights, conditioning and drug usage and changed his mind yet again. So where did he want to go? Naturally, back to Pitt. Unfortunately for him, Pitt told the goof to take a hike and basically blew him off. He then visited a whole bunch of other schools before settling on West Virginia, the only school left who would take him.

Naturally, upon arriving in Morgantown, he immediately began trashing Pitt again to would be recruits. What a nice kid.

As a result of all of that turnover and self-inflicted wounds - the incompetent AD that caused all of that upheaval was just given a five-year contract extension, BTW - Pitt had 23 freshmen listed on its depth chart for last night's game including 11 true freshmen. That does not include the tailback, Conner, who was not listed on the depth chart but led the team in rushing attempts last night. It also doesn't include the fact that all five starting offensive linemen were making their first career start at their respective positions.

On D, one of their starting DEs is a recently converted FB and one of their LBs is a converted QB. Pitt returned eight starters from last season but almost all of the reserves were underclassmen.

That is a lot of youth and inexperience for any team to deal with and when you play a team as good and talented and deep and experienced as Florida State, they are usually going to expose you. I promise you that won't be the only time Pitt gets embarrassed this season. It just comes with the youth territory.

I will say that I am reasonably confident that Pitt has FINALLY hired the right guy after missing terribly on several previous hires. I like Chryst's style and I sincerely believe that in time he will do very well here. However, we have to fight our well chronicled impulses and give the man the time and resources he needs to be successful.

I will say this much: I am a bit more worried about our rookie DC. We looked completely lost all night on D and some of that had to do with FSU's talent and speed but a lot of it was us as well. For example, we lined up incorrectly several times and they gashed us each time. Also, there were several plays in which the Pitt player was there but failed to wrap up. Those are killers and they will get you beat whether you are playing Florida State or Florida A&M.

Pitt will also likely struggle next season and hopefully in 2015 we will begin to see some signs of life. If we don't start to see something by then, Chryst will be gone and we'll start from scratch all over again...because we are nuts.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 10:01 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
09-03-2013 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.