Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

After one week of college football...
Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
After one week of college football...
Who do you think were the most underperforming teams in college football who did not meet the "hype?" Also, who do you think went above expectations?

I realize that there are still games to be played Sunday through Monday but most of the games are written in the books.
09-01-2013 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: After one week of college football...
Props to Bobby Petrino and WKU. He hasn't lost His magic. Textbook Petrino style!
Props to Cincinnati for Thumping a B1G program.
Props to ClemsON for a brilliant game.
09-01-2013 10:11 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(09-01-2013 10:11 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Props to Bobby Petrino and WKU. He hasn't lost His magic. Textbook Petrino style!
Props to Cincinnati for Thumping a B1G program.
Props to ClemsON for a brilliant game.

Yep, ditto here. WKU is going to be a very tough win for Sun Belt teams this year. Not sure slick Bobby will be around next year.
09-01-2013 10:17 AM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Petrino will most likely be moving on within a couple of years. That would not surprise me.
09-01-2013 10:58 AM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
A slew of FBS (even ranked programs) went down to defeat at the hands of FCS schools this week... Boise looked real bad last night (6 points?)... so they were disappointing!

Clemson did look real good in beating Georgia... Cincy handled Purdue... Louisville is presently curb-stomping Ohio (who was expected to win the MAC east)... all were far better performances than I was expecting in week one.
09-01-2013 05:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Obviously Kansas State, Oregon State, Iowa, Iowa State, South Florida and Connecticut blew their post season hype sky high.

I'd say less than auspicious starts belong to Nebraska, West Virginia, U.S.C., and Illinois all of whom won but failed to play well and each managed to make a win seem less than palatable.

The next tier of disappointment extends to Ohio State which started fast and lost concentration and Texas who started very slowly before depth kicked in.

Then there are teams like Alabama whose overall result was fine but showed a definite need of improvement in areas (like the O line). Auburn which managed to win but with no discernible reason as to why. Kentucky where expectations were not high, but a bit more was expected. Mississippi State which had one of the most woeful offensive efforts in recent memory. And North Carolina which once again underachieved.
09-01-2013 07:03 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(09-01-2013 07:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Obviously Kansas State, Oregon State, Iowa, Iowa State, South Florida and Connecticut blew their post season hype sky high.

I'd say less than auspicious starts belong to Nebraska, West Virginia, U.S.C., and Illinois all of whom won but failed to play well and each managed to make a win seem less than palatable.

The next tier of disappointment extends to Ohio State which started fast and lost concentration and Texas who started very slowly before depth kicked in.

Then there are teams like Alabama whose overall result was fine but showed a definite need of improvement in areas (like the O line). Auburn which managed to win but with no discernible reason as to why. Kentucky where expectations were not high, but a bit more was expected. Mississippi State which had one of the most woeful offensive efforts in recent memory. And North Carolina which once again underachieved.

Iowa had post season hype?
09-01-2013 07:05 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(09-01-2013 07:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 07:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Obviously Kansas State, Oregon State, Iowa, Iowa State, South Florida and Connecticut blew their post season hype sky high.

Funny. But, yes every team has some post season hype otherwise the AD needs to be fired.
09-01-2013 07:56 PM
theSabanator20 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Alabama
Biggest surprises:
1. Washington-cant remember a Washington team playing a game as well as thu did vs Boise... They could reach 9 wins this year.

2. TCU-they really looked athletically on par with LSU. Just didnt have the depth needed to outlast them.

3. Louisville-came out and took care of business. I like it.

Biggest disappointments
1. Nebraska- 602 yds given up to the Wyoming Cowboys. What a joke.

2. Oregon State-giving up 49 PTA to Eastern Washington. What a joke.

3. The bottom of the Big12- what a joke.

I liked what I saw from Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Cincinatti. Solid starts to the season an took care of business. That's what you expect from the best teams.

Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC need to buck up. Don't look like championship contenders at all. No excuses for any of them. Giving up 20 to Buffalo? Only up 7 pts at halftime vs New Mexico State? Taking 3 quarters to pull away from UL Monroe? Inexcusable. Out of all these teams, USC looks to have the best defense. With the least depth. Ohio State was soft.

That being said, Alabama's Oline needs to improve their fundamentals in pass and run blocking. I will say that VT has a great defense though.

Overall I give Alabama a B. A+ on Special Teams, A on defense, but a C on offense.
09-01-2013 08:32 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
speaking of Petrino...if UCONN was smart they would hire him. I know they would have to hold their noses to do it, being all eastern uppity like but he would do that program wonders. Currently they are spiraling back down to FCS level real quick.
09-01-2013 08:39 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-01-2013 08:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  speaking of Petrino...if UCONN was smart they would hire him. I know they would have to hold their noses to do it, being all eastern uppity like but he would do that program wonders. Currently they are spiraling back down to FCS level real quick.

The problem is with as successful as Petrino has been there is also the fact that everything he touches turns into a dumpster fire eventually. Do you trade a couple years of winning knowing that when all is said and done you rare going to be right back where you were or worse?
09-01-2013 08:48 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(09-01-2013 08:32 PM)theSabanator20 Wrote:  Biggest surprises:
1. Washington-cant remember a Washington team playing a game as well as thu did vs Boise... They could reach 9 wins this year.

2. TCU-they really looked athletically on par with LSU. Just didnt have the depth needed to outlast them.

3. Louisville-came out and took care of business. I like it.

Biggest disappointments
1. Nebraska- 602 yds given up to the Wyoming Cowboys. What a joke.

2. Oregon State-giving up 49 PTA to Eastern Washington. What a joke.

3. The bottom of the Big12- what a joke.

I liked what I saw from Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Cincinatti. Solid starts to the season an took care of business. That's what you expect from the best teams.

Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC need to buck up. Don't look like championship contenders at all. No excuses for any of them. Giving up 20 to Buffalo? Only up 7 pts at halftime vs New Mexico State? Taking 3 quarters to pull away from UL Monroe? Inexcusable. Out of all these teams, USC looks to have the best defense. With the least depth. Ohio State was soft.

That being said, Alabama's Oline needs to improve their fundamentals in pass and run blocking. I will say that VT has a great defense though.

Overall I give Alabama a B. A+ on Special Teams, A on defense, but a C on offense.
Depth is one of the biggest things Gary said he had to work on when we joined the Big 12. It will take several years for us to catch up. It also doesn't help when your best pass rusher is serving a two game suspension. Not sure if that would have won us the game, but it wouldn't have hurt.
09-01-2013 09:05 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(09-01-2013 08:48 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 08:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  speaking of Petrino...if UCONN was smart they would hire him. I know they would have to hold their noses to do it, being all eastern uppity like but he would do that program wonders. Currently they are spiraling back down to FCS level real quick.

The problem is with as successful as Petrino has been there is also the fact that everything he touches turns into a dumpster fire eventually. Do you trade a couple years of winning knowing that when all is said and done you rare going to be right back where you were or worse?

you are right...Petrino tastes like honey but once he hits your stomach he's bitter like wormwood hahaha

But yes, if he could be there and get them ranked and pump some excitement into the program, as long as he didn't do something catastrophic and put them on some long probation I think it would be worth it....but that's just me.
09-01-2013 09:10 PM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
It does not take much to be #2 in Football in Kentucky.
09-01-2013 09:36 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(09-01-2013 07:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 07:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Funny. But, yes every team has some post season hype otherwise the AD needs to be fired.

Our AD is in hiding right now, all the firing talk is directed at someone else....for now.
09-01-2013 11:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.