Dear Old Dominion Fans
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
Dear Old Dominion Fans
Respect earned.

Taylor Heineike (sp?) 01-ncaabbs
Coach WIlder 01-ncaabbs

I don't think your defense or our defense is as poor as they looked at times. Both were squaring off against powerful offenses and great quarterbacks. I think they both can perform better against teams who don't have true stud QB's.

Good luck the rest of the way.04-cheers

40smokingcannon
09-01-2013 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

djnva Online
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: Dear Old Dominion Fans
Thanks. I hope your QB continues to put up big numbers.

We've got a baseline to work with now...we'll see what happens at Maryland next Saturday.
09-01-2013 08:44 AM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Thanks Cannon. I found a lot of ECU fans to be very welcoming. A number of them went out of their way to welcome us and thank us for coming down for the game. I was proud of what our guys did last night. It easy to forget that this is a "baby" football team, just beginning their 5th season of play. There is still work to do, but they've made amazing strides, so far. Last night was a good measuring stick. Now, I guess we find ourselves as Pirate fans for the rest of the season, as the better you guys look, the better ODU looks. Beat VT!
04-cheers
09-01-2013 08:58 AM
djnva Online
All American

Yeah, there's no doubt some of us will use the old "ECU beat us by 14 and beat Va Tech by 17" later this season. :)
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 09:40 AM by djnva.)
09-01-2013 09:40 AM
Advertisement

LuckyLion Offline
1st String

(09-01-2013 09:40 AM)djnva Wrote:  Yeah, there's no doubt some of us will use the old "ECU beat us by 14 and beat Va Tech by 17" later this season. :)

We can only hope!
09-01-2013 09:49 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(09-01-2013 08:42 AM)40smokingcannon Wrote:  Respect earned.

Coach WIlder 01-ncaabbs

I don't think your defense or our defense is as poor as they looked at times. Both were squaring off against powerful offenses and great quarterbacks. I think they both can perform better against teams who don't have true stud QB's.

40smokingcannon

Thanks you cannon for the very fine accessment. It was a very fine and exciting game. Best of luck to ECU.
09-01-2013 10:24 AM
backcourt Offline
2nd String

Good luck ECU. Run the CUSA table!
09-01-2013 03:05 PM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the good words. I enjoyed the Pirate hospitality and was duly impressed with Carden, Hardy and your offense in general. They were good! Good luck to you guys the rest of the season.

And just for the record, it's Heinicke.
09-01-2013 08:25 PM
ODU_KA Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-01-2013 08:42 AM)40smokingcannon Wrote:  Respect earned.

Coach WIlder 01-ncaabbs

40smokingcannon

Many thanks and same to you! 04-rock
09-01-2013 08:31 PM
MonarchFan Offline
Water Engineer

The ECU fans we met throughout the parking lots, tailgaters, and those at the stadium - were very nice - several approached us and thanked us "for making the trip to Greenville". Good first FBS game.
09-07-2013 04:10 PM
Advertisement

LuckyLion Offline
1st String

(09-07-2013 04:10 PM)MonarchFan Wrote:  The ECU fans we met throughout the parking lots, tailgaters, and those at the stadium - were very nice - several approached us and thanked us "for making the trip to Greenville". Good first FBS game.

Just returned from Pittsburgh. We've been to all the away games, so far this year. All last year, except GA State and a number of other games in previous years. I have to say, the fans at ECU have been the nicest we have encountered anywhere. We had the same experience as MonarchFan. We had a couple of welcoming comments at UMD, but encountered a fair share of major douchebag fans in the stands. Got nothing but dismissal from Pitt. A parking attendant at The Strip was asking us about the game, seeing the ODU stickers on the car, and said, "I knew you guys from basketball, but I didn't even know you had football. How bad are you?" Had I been at the top of my game at the moment, I would have said, "Better than Youngstown State!"
10-20-2013 06:28 PM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-20-2013 06:28 PM)LuckyLion Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 04:10 PM)MonarchFan Wrote:  The ECU fans we met throughout the parking lots, tailgaters, and those at the stadium - were very nice - several approached us and thanked us "for making the trip to Greenville". Good first FBS game.

Just returned from Pittsburgh. We've been to all the away games, so far this year. All last year, except GA State and a number of other games in previous years. I have to say, the fans at ECU have been the nicest we have encountered anywhere. We had the same experience as MonarchFan. We had a couple of welcoming comments at UMD, but encountered a fair share of major douchebag fans in the stands. Got nothing but dismissal from Pitt. A parking attendant at The Strip was asking us about the game, seeing the ODU stickers on the car, and said, "I knew you guys from basketball, but I didn't even know you had football. How bad are you?" Had I been at the top of my game at the moment, I would have said, "Better than Youngstown State!"

We have also attended many away games. Towson, JMU, W&M, Hampton, Delaware, ECU, Maryland and Richmond. I have to say the friendliest and the most welcoming would have to be the ECU fans.

Just to share a few of my experiences that were both good, bad and even a few where fans and staff of the visiting schools went out of their way to help. For me one of the BAD.... well, a group of fans from Hampton University that refused to allow us to pull up park or even unload in the handicap parking place so I could get my wheelchair out of the van. (I should point out we had ODU flags and magnets all over the van proclaiming our allegiance to ODU). They told us they were saving the 3 or 4 spots for tailgating for family and friends (they were on the grass with tents). No problem, a family member unloaded me as close as he could get.... and went off and had to search for a parking spot. Unfortunately, He had to walk about a half a mile to meet me where he dropped me off. All along, as I waited and watched as the Hampton fans allowed the spots to fill in with HU Fans friends.

Then there was the Towson Game last year. At half time as I started to cheer the ODU Marching Monarch Band. They had just finished a fantastic show, and where plastering our side with a wall of sound. The fight song never sounded better. It was at that time I was hit in the back of the head with a cup of coke and ice, and the students from Towson laughed and cheered.......(I didn't think they were cheering our band). Again unfortunately, most of the sticky mess got on my uncle and I was spared, I wish it had been me. He went to the restroom and cleaned up and brought me back wet rags .........no biggie, I have had much worst. Maybe the underlying theme is don't go to an away game with me. 03-shhhh

A good one.......A thoughtful and considerate Bus driver at JMU, who was in charge of the ADA bus. This gentleman went out of his way to make sure everyone in Wheelchairs were the first to get on the bus at the conclusion of the game. He motioned for us to move to the front (we were more than willing to wait our turn, he insisted we all move to the front). He loaded us with the hydraulic lift. You might say he locked and loaded, each of us..... LOL He made sure we were comfortable before he let others on the bus, most of which were JMU fans that were shoving and pushing just to get on the bus and very upset that he did this.

At Maryland they were very helpful and friendly. The usher was very nice to all the ODU fans at the top of that section. We had a good experience.

My situation maybe a little different than others. But what I have found is that most people are usually the same everywhere. There are always just a few that don't realize the consequence of their actions, (even if they seem small to them). Passionate fans, can get rowdy. All we ever try to do is treat our visitors with respect, and try and treat them how I would like to be treated. I always feel better even if it is only a small act of kindness that I can share with the visitors from another school (sometimes it is just a "Welcome to ODU, hope you have a good time"). I stop and think they have traveled a long way to support their team. It is the least I can do and it makes me feel good. 04-cheers

Aim High * Go Monarchs
10-20-2013 08:43 PM
Stanger Offline
Special Teams

Still, I wasn't warmed over by the 'CAA' chants as we were walking to the ECU stadium. I took it for what it was worth.
10-20-2013 08:47 PM
Advertisement

ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-20-2013 08:47 PM)Stanger Wrote:  Still, I wasn't warmed over by the 'CAA' chants as we were walking to the ECU stadium. I took it for what it was worth.

Sorry to make this longer, but to just clarify. I kind of enjoy the ribbing, the cheers, and the banter. That is part of being a fan on both sides of the field. I am referring to actions. When our fans or the fans from schools we are competing against (home or away) go out of their way to take an action that deliberately will harm or offend another person, regardless of who they are cheering for.

In my case, my poor Uncle is the one that always gets the short end of that. I hope I have a ride for the next few games 03-lmfao

Be Proud * Aim High * Go Monarchs
10-20-2013 09:09 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

The Pitt fans were awful. The taunting and heckling I can handle, but I had 3 different people crossing the line, getting in my space, and literally trying to start a fist fight with me for the mere fact that I was wearing an ODU hoodie. I wasn't even being obnoxious myself, just an occasional "Yeah!" and applause. They are friendlier at the dang Seigel Center than they were at Pitt. That was the worst experience with an opposing fan base I have ever had and I have been at Veteran's Stadium in Giants gear to watch them play the Eagles.
10-21-2013 07:43 AM
ODU89 Offline
Special Teams

Dear Old Dominion Fans
(10-21-2013 07:43 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The Pitt fans were awful.

Were they disguised as an empty seat?
10-21-2013 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.