ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big game alert: JMU vs. CCSU
oduengineer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Big game alert: JMU vs. CCSU
It seems like JMU is really looking forward to the big match with Central Connecticut: 11,000 student, $40M endowment CCSU.

Boy am I glad we aren't them. Five years of football, and we have passed them by. I hope the Dukes get kicked in the face.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=645720
08-26-2013 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Big game alert: JMU vs. CCSU
(08-26-2013 05:06 PM)oduengineer Wrote:  It seems like JMU is really looking forward to the big match with Central Connecticut: 11,000 student, $40M endowment CCSU.

Boy am I glad we aren't them. Five years of football, and we have passed them by. I hope the Dukes get kicked in the face.

Yep.

The good news is that very soon will come a noticeable boost to the Harrisonburg economy; as there will be a huge market for depression and anger management counselors when the official announcement is made that JMU is not moving up. 03-lmfao

Seriously, with apparantly noone wanting to test the legality of the GoRs, and the comments of Bob Bowlsby of the Big 12 and Delaney of the B1G (yesterday), it looks like any conference movement is done until at least 2017; and more likely for at least 10 years.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 05:46 PM by ODUalum78.)
08-26-2013 05:32 PM
N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

If that's the case, then I guess the Pukes better put their "Newest Conference Rumor" thread in hibernation for a while. LOL!
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 05:50 PM by N2theBlue.)
08-26-2013 05:49 PM
Monarchy Anarchy Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-26-2013 05:32 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(08-26-2013 05:06 PM)oduengineer Wrote:  It seems like JMU is really looking forward to the big match with Central Connecticut: 11,000 student, $40M endowment CCSU.

Yep.

The good news is that very soon will come a noticeable boost to the Harrisonburg economy; as there will be a huge market for depression and anger management counselors when the official announcement is made that JMU is not moving up. 03-lmfao

Seriously, with apparantly noone wanting to test the legality of the GoRs, and the comments of Bob Bowlsby of the Big 12 and Delaney of the B1G (yesterday), it looks like any conference movement is done until at least 2017; and more likely for at least 10 years.

There's one open spot in the Sunbelt to get them to 12, and that's their only realistic shot. Conferences don't want to go past 12 members anymore now that the playoff payout is maxed out at 12 shares per conference. After 12 members, each team's share gets watered down and no college president or AD is going to sign off on that.

Until they swallow their pride and join the Sunbelt, JMU will continue to feast on powerhouse college football teams like St. Francis and CCSU.
08-26-2013 06:05 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

(08-26-2013 06:05 PM)Monarchy Anarchy Wrote:  
(08-26-2013 05:32 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Yep.

There's one open spot in the Sunbelt to get them to 12, and that's their only realistic shot. Conferences don't want to go past 12 members anymore now that the playoff payout is maxed out at 12 shares per conference. After 12 members, each team's share gets watered down and no college president or AD is going to sign off on that.

Until they swallow their pride and join the Sunbelt, JMU will continue to feast on powerhouse college football teams like St. Francis and CCSU.

Absolutely.

If indeed they do accept, then there will need to be some serious damage control done with respect to the online community because of their obvious disdain and criticism of the Sun Belt.

Bottom line:
If they don't accept, get out the handkerchiefs and hide any sharp objects.
If they DO accept, get the popcorn and pull a chair up to the Sun Belt boards.
03-nutkick

Edit: I think JMU will not accept, for at least two reasons.

1. Generally, I don't think JMU can do it without a significant increase in student fees. (I am somewhat guessing here from figures available from the State of Virginia.)
Estimated costs associated with Title IX are not insignificant. If I remember correctly, JMU dropped to the NCAA minimum in men's sports in 2006 or 2007. This means that they cannot cut any men's programs, so they must add women's.
Unlike ODU, JMU has a disproportionate female/male (close to 60/40) ratio so it will be even more of a strain than it would be otherwise.
The apparent abandonment of the much celebrated and bond approved proposed new convo is indicative of "uneasy" finances at best, or downright panic at worst.

2. Specifically, I think that the JMU administration will look at football support locally.
JMU saw a 9% attendance decline in 2012, and the only sell-out at Bridgeforth was Parent's Day.
In a small community, JMU may feel that attendance has maxed out at around 25k.
I know some feel that if JMU goes FBS then that will increase, but others do not. I guess the Carr Report will address the issue, but hypothetically, if I were an investor it would be a major red flag.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 10:14 PM by ODUalum78.)
08-26-2013 06:33 PM
Advertisement

TedHead Offline
1st String

Can of we have JMU's Band Director? It's a shame he has to be wasted in the hinterlands of FCS. Their band is def an FBS caliber program.
08-26-2013 09:22 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
So what part of "passed them by" are we going to actually pass them by and forget about them? Every time we think we've pass them by, someone pulls them back in. With threads like these, I don't think we're ever going to pass them by and forget about them.
08-26-2013 09:42 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(08-26-2013 09:42 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  So what part of "passed them by" are we going to actually pass them by and forget about them? Every time we think we've pass them by, someone pulls them back in. With threads like these, I don't think we're ever going to pass them by and forget about them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once first blood is drawn with our new conference mates; once the ish starts hitting the fan in C-USA, we will begin to forget about our old rivals. Sure, from time-to-time we'll go over to their boards to check up on them, or glance with satisfaction at the CAA standings, but as time goes by the JMUs, Richmonds, William & Marys, and Delawares will become but footnotes in our history. It's good to be the King!04-cheers
08-26-2013 10:16 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

(08-26-2013 10:16 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  
(08-26-2013 09:42 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  So what part of "passed them by" are we going to actually pass them by and forget about them? Every time we think we've pass them by, someone pulls them back in. With threads like these, I don't think we're ever going to pass them by and forget about them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once first blood is drawn with our new conference mates; once the ish starts hitting the fan in C-USA, we will begin to forget about our old rivals. Sure, from time-to-time we'll go over to their boards to check up on them, or glance with satisfaction at the CAA standings, but as time goes by the JMUs, Richmonds, William & Marys, and Delawares will become but footnotes in our history. It's good to be the King!04-cheers

Actually, it might be sooner than you might think.
Currently the interest in JMU is largely fueled by rumors of the Sun Belt, CUSA, or the MAC.

If JMU moves up, it likely will be an annual OOC rival, and thus relevant for some time to come.

If the more probable (see above) occurs and JMU does not move up, then it will quickly fade into the forgotten "anals" of ODU history.03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 10:27 PM by ODUalum78.)
08-26-2013 10:25 PM
Advertisement

odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: ODU, W&M
Yeah, I'm not sure there's any value in kicking JMU anymore. I'm going to live & let die...literally!
08-27-2013 06:19 AM
workingodu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
Tedhed I agree wittth the band director but unless your a band nerd like me you would never know the actual band director that built jmu is now at troy state. His name is robert smith and yes he is one of the best in tthe country.
08-27-2013 07:04 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I actually agree with Sirloin here. The JMU obsession is actually worse than the VCU obsession. At least with VCU, there was a basketball rivalry. Not sure where the JMU hate comes from??? A buzzer beater at the CAA Tournament before even the Blaine Taylor era?
08-27-2013 07:31 AM
bit_9 Offline

Moved to smack forum. Thanks!
08-27-2013 07:50 AM
Advertisement

GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

(08-27-2013 07:50 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  Moved to smack forum. Thanks!

good move...
08-27-2013 12:28 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

Our football undefeated streak against JMU is a nice counterweight to our defeat streak against Georgia Southern. We're 2-0 against one contentious fanbase and 0-2 against another.
08-27-2013 05:01 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

(08-27-2013 05:01 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  Our football undefeated streak against JMU is a nice counterweight to our defeat streak against Georgia Southern. We're 2-0 against one contentious fanbase and 0-2 against another.

GaSo is contentious, with reason.
JMU is pretentious, for lord knows why...07-coffee3
08-27-2013 05:38 PM
Monarch Nation Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-27-2013 07:31 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I actually agree with Sirloin here. The JMU obsession is actually worse than the VCU obsession. At least with VCU, there was a basketball rivalry. Not sure where the JMU hate comes from??? A buzzer beater at the CAA Tournament before even the Blaine Taylor era?

I have to go along with these guys. JMU no longer means anything to Old Dominion. If/when they choose to move up to FBS, there will be a difference. But as long as they are CAA and FCS they mean no more to me than VMI or Campbell.
08-28-2013 08:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.