Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[OT] Texas State name change
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
Starting Sept 1, the new name of Texas State University - San Marcos will be Texas State University. The 7th name change in the history of the school (IIRC).
08-24-2013 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: [OT] Texas State name change
Never have got the texas state name too much like texas southern (how can their be two tsu's?) seems to me LBJSU would be far better
08-24-2013 08:15 PM
Memphis Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
don't see much difference in the name. I like SW Texas better as the foundation of the name...
08-25-2013 08:52 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-25-2013 08:52 AM)Memphis Owl Wrote:  don't see much difference in the name. I like SW Texas better as the foundation of the name...

When Southwest Texas State changed to Texas State - San Marcos, my understanding is that the initial plan was that Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin State would also change to Texas State - Huntsville and Texas State - Nacogdoches. One theory may have been to create some sort of recognition for the "__ State U" campuses as a system -- in parallel with the UT and A&M systems. (I don't recall if Sul Ross State or Tarleton State were contemplated in the change as well.) But perhaps not surprisingly, SHSU and SFA balked at the change -- they were committed to the Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin names. So only SWTSU made the switch. And now, I'm sure they are very happy to officially drop the locational modifier.

Across the Sabine, ULL would love to complete a similar transistion, from U of Southwestern LA, U of La at Lafayette. to just U of L. But they are not there yet.
08-25-2013 09:05 AM
Memphis Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2013 08:15 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  Never have got the texas state name too much like texas southern (how can their be two tsu's?) seems to me LBJSU would be far better

following the lead of SHSU and SFA, naming the University after a famous Texan and alumnus makes sense to me...

LBJSU

of course, I don't know how that would be approved with the current Republican dominated state legislature...
08-25-2013 09:29 AM
Advertisement

ranfin Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
Johnson State?

(08-25-2013 09:29 AM)Memphis Owl Wrote:  
(08-24-2013 08:15 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  Never have got the texas state name too much like texas southern (how can their be two tsu's?) seems to me LBJSU would be far better

following the lead of SHSU and SFA, naming the University after a famous Texan and alumnus makes sense to me...

LBJSU

of course, I don't know how that would be approved with the current Republican dominated state legislature...
08-25-2013 10:47 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-25-2013 09:05 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(08-25-2013 08:52 AM)Memphis Owl Wrote:  don't see much difference in the name. I like SW Texas better as the foundation of the name...

When Southwest Texas State changed to Texas State - San Marcos, my understanding is that the initial plan was that Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin State would also change to Texas State - Huntsville and Texas State - Nacogdoches. One theory may have been to create some sort of recognition for the "__ State U" campuses as a system -- in parallel with the UT and A&M systems. (I don't recall if Sul Ross State or Tarleton State were contemplated in the change as well.) But perhaps not surprisingly, SHSU and SFA balked at the change -- they were committed to the Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin names. So only SWTSU made the switch. And now, I'm sure they are very happy to officially drop the locational modifier.

Across the Sabine, ULL would love to complete a similar transistion, from U of Southwestern LA, U of La at Lafayette. to just U of L. But they are not there yet.

I don't believe SFA or Tarleton ever considered for that as neither of them are part of the Tx State Univ system. Sul Ross, Lamar, and Sam Houston are (which also have multiple campuses).

Personally I was unaware that they even had the location in their name. But the reason to drop it is that the North Austin and Round Rock campuses are part of Texas State University San Marcos. Therefore they are called "Texas State University - San Marcos - Round Rock Campus" and the like.
08-25-2013 12:59 PM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
One of Judy Garland's first movies was "Pigskin Parade."

Yale needs someone to schedule for their annual "charity game." They want someone that will draw a crowd but is beatable. They finally decide on the University of Texas but accidentally invite "Texas State" instead. Judy's brother is TSU's quarterback. Of course, she's discovered, too.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 02:00 PM by JSA.)
08-25-2013 02:00 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2013 12:59 PM)texd Wrote:  I don't believe SFA or Tarleton ever considered for that as neither of them are part of the Tx State Univ system. Sul Ross, Lamar, and Sam Houston are

Are you sure about SFA? I think of SHSU And SFA as two peas in a pod -- it seems like if one was part of the State U system, the other would be too.
08-25-2013 03:43 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-25-2013 03:43 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(08-25-2013 12:59 PM)texd Wrote:  I don't believe SFA or Tarleton ever considered for that as neither of them are part of the Tx State Univ system. Sul Ross, Lamar, and Sam Houston are

Are you sure about SFA? I think of SHSU And SFA as two peas in a pod -- it seems like if one was part of the State U system, the other would be too.

SFA is not. SHSU is.
08-25-2013 04:05 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(08-25-2013 04:05 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-25-2013 03:43 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  

SFA is not. SHSU is.

According to the SFA Wikipedia article, "Stephen F. Austin is one of four independent public universities in Texas (i.e., those not affiliated with one of Texas' six university systems)."

The other three independent public universities in Texas are Texas Women's University in Denton, Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls and Texas Southern University in Houston.

Texas's six university systems are:

1) University of Houston System (Main, Clear Lake, Downtown & Victoria)

2) University of North Texas System (Denton, Dallas & Health Science Center in Fort Worth)

3) University of Texas System (Austin, Arlington, Brownsville, Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio, Tyler, Permian Basin & Pan American & and six health campuses: Health Science Center at Houston, Health Science Center at San Antonio, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Health Science Center at Tyler, UT Medical Branch & Southwestern Medical Center)

4) Texas A&M University System (College Station, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Kingsville, Tarleton State (Stephensville), International (Laredo), West Texas (Canyon), Central Texas (Killeen), Texarkana, Commerce & Prairie View ... and numerous agencies and health science schools and centers.)

5) Texas State University System (San Marcos, Lamar (Beamount), Sam Houston (Hunstville), Lamaer Institute of Technology, Lamar State Colleges (Port Arthur & Orange), Sul Ross State (Alpine) & Sul Ross State's Rio Grande College campuses in Uvalde, Del Rio and Eagle Pass.)

6) Texas Tech University System (Lubbock, Angelo State (San Angelo), three health science centers (Amarillo, El Paso & Lubbock) and eight learning centers.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 06:03 PM by Almadenmike.)
08-25-2013 06:01 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-25-2013 06:01 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Texas Women's University in Denton,

My only correction to this very well-researched post is that it's Texas Woman's University. The singular possessive is always confusing.
08-26-2013 01:10 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I think Alameda Mike should open his own wiki site.

You want to tell us also the private schools in Texas? I still think this state could handle another new college or two, although one wonders if any new colleges in the future will be online schools for the most part and not the traditional bricks and mortar institutions.
08-26-2013 06:11 AM
Advertisement

Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
(08-26-2013 06:11 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I think Alameda Mike should open his own wiki site.

You want to tell us also the private schools in Texas? I still think this state could handle another new college or two, although one wonders if any new colleges in the future will be online schools for the most part and not the traditional bricks and mortar institutions.

I always wonder if the New College of Florida will eventually change its name. :)
08-26-2013 09:48 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(08-26-2013 06:11 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I think Alameda Mike should open his own wiki site.

You want to tell us also the private schools in Texas?

I am often surprised at how many there are. Most are very small denominational colleges that you've never heard of, or perhaps vaguely heard of, and I often wonder how they stay in business. I have made a point to visit some of them when I am passing through the area, hoping to find a charming and picturesque little "academical village" that is sort of an undiscovered gem of a campus. I've been disappointed more often that not. But there are still a lot of them!
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 03:45 PM by georgewebb.)
08-26-2013 10:01 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
I can think of only one sports-related topic I care less about than Texas State's name - auto racing.

Yes, synchronized swimming ranks higher.
08-26-2013 11:52 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators

Texas State has been going through a huge expansion. Over the last several years there's always several cranes on the horizon as I drive through San Marcos. Some students there have complained that it's a pain to be in school at a time when all this construction work is ongoing. The campus just continues to get uglier (IMHO). I guess it's easier to increase a school's enrollment than it is to build entirely new ones (brick and mortar style).
08-26-2013 02:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.