Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time-Warner-Cable Sports and MAC
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Time-Warner-Cable Sports and MAC
http://www.mac-sports.com/tabid/969/Arti...rtner.aspx

? : I assume this will be available on DirecTV?

Correct?
08-23-2013 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chuckwalker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: Time-Warner-Cable Sports and MAC
Not correct- TWC Sports is not available on Direct TV- they are competitors
08-23-2013 10:38 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-23-2013 10:38 AM)chuckwalker Wrote:  Not correct- TWC Sports is not available on Direct TV- they are competitors

Okay, (although it isn't okay to me).

Does this mean that the MAC and STO is over?

Is TWC Sports picking up what STO used to televise?

Does STO now belong to Fox Sports?
08-23-2013 10:44 AM
chuckwalker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Yes to all

I have Direct TV and this sucks for me

STO and the MAC are finished and FOX bought STO...so my guess is that they are related
08-23-2013 10:46 AM
Rocketime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Don't know if it's the same, but Time Warner Cable Sports is available on Directv channel 691.
08-23-2013 12:43 PM
chuckwalker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I hope you are right - but the MAC news release was very specific to say something like "most cable systems in Ohio and NY"- TWCS is the home of the Lakers - so some markets they might have to get it.

But it is a glimmer of hope.
08-23-2013 12:58 PM
Advertisement

TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
DIRECTV Has Reached an Agreement with TWC SportsNet

Quote:Thanks to your patience and continued support, DIRECTV today entered into an agreement with the new Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Deportes to make the Lakers and other local teams available to your family. SportsNet will be launching on channel 691 and Deportes on channel 458 prior to Friday night's Laker's game.

DIRECTV continues to believe no team should ever deny its most loyal fans access to any games they might want. We always strive to provide you the very best television experience at the most reasonable cost and are happy to achieve that once again with this new partnership. We know you have a choice among TV providers, and we appreciate your choosing us.

For more information, visit DIRECTV Promise.

Note: Time Warner Cable SportsNet requires a base programming package of CHOICE or higher and Deportes requires a base programming package of MAS ULTRA or higher.
08-23-2013 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
A lot of sports fans have DISH or Direct TV. Not good. I believe they just shrank the potential audience. It's a pretty damn small group of viewers who are going to ditch satellite to get MAC sports and have to put up with Time-Warner in the bargain. No thanks..
08-23-2013 01:09 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(08-23-2013 01:03 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  DIRECTV Has Reached an Agreement with TWC SportsNet

Quote:Thanks to your patience and continued support, DIRECTV today entered into an agreement with the new Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Deportes to make the Lakers and other local teams available to your family. SportsNet will be launching on channel 691 and Deportes on channel 458 prior to Friday night's Laker's game.

DIRECTV continues to believe no team should ever deny its most loyal fans access to any games they might want. We always strive to provide you the very best television experience at the most reasonable cost and are happy to achieve that once again with this new partnership. We know you have a choice among TV providers, and we appreciate your choosing us.

For more information, visit DIRECTV Promise.

Note: Time Warner Cable SportsNet requires a base programming package of CHOICE or higher and Deportes requires a base programming package of MAS ULTRA or higher.

That is NOT the same sports channel. Time Warner has a hodge-podge of regional sports channels similar to Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Carolinas, etc...

The one you mentioned is for Southern California Only...

- Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes - SoCal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner...e_Deportes

- Time Warner Cable SportsChannel - New York

- Time Warner Cable Sports 32 - Wisconsin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner..._Milwaukee

- Time Warner Cable SportsChannel - Ohio - http://www.twcsportschannel.com/ (they dont even have a website yet)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable_Sports

- There are others too I think..

Sounds like the MAC will be on the Ohio and New York Regional TWCS channels but not the others.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 01:15 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-23-2013 01:14 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(08-23-2013 01:09 PM)axeme Wrote:  A lot of sports fans have DISH or Direct TV. Not good. I believe they just shrank the potential audience. It's a pretty damn small group of viewers who are going to ditch satellite to get MAC sports and have to put up with Time-Warner in the bargain. No thanks..

I don't think Time-Warner is in Michigan, its either Comcast or Charter for us on the West Side.
08-23-2013 01:16 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
I have Directv and even with the Sports channel package they always seem to black-out the MAC games anyway. Which is idiotic as why else would people buy the package but to see these out of market games?
08-23-2013 01:18 PM
Advertisement

All American

"Outside of the Time Warner Cable footprint, MAC live programming will also be available for cable providers within the Conference regional territory."

Sounds like Time Warner Sports is only the exclusive partner in Ohio and New York only and that they are working on other providers to carry the MAC games in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts... At least that how I am reading this.

I'm a bit surprised at this because I was looking at UC and Xavier's basketball schedule this year and all of their conference games are now covered by ESPN (UC) and Fox (Xavier) which meant Fox Sports Ohio was losing a swath of games that they had historically picked up and can no longer. I had thought Fox Sports Ohio would double-down on the MAC to make up for this. The exciting part about Fox Sports Ohio as a regional network of Fox Sports was that the new Fox Sports Go was supposed to show all the regional games similar to ESPN3.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Is STO going away? I'll miss Michael Reghi for sure.... Did ESPN request us to not partner with Fox Sports (and thus national Fox Sports Go webcasts) as part of a promise for our TV negotiation with them? STO reached 2.8 million subscribers and Fox Sports Ohio was 5 million, how many people in Ohio and NY have Time Warner?

Lastly, what about local coverage like Bowling Green and Toledo on Buckeye Sports Net? Does this get axed? How can the conference force BG and Toledo out of these deals? Akron also had a supplemental deal with STO. Is this the precursor to the Grant of Rights?

This set-up seems similar to the regional Sun-Belt Sports Network which is a combination of Comcast SS and Cox Cable from New Orleans. MAC will be exclusive to TWCS in Ohio and NY and then find other partners like Comcast in Illinois, Michigan, Massachusetts, etc...

Interesting, but lots of questions at this point.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 02:40 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-23-2013 01:19 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
(08-23-2013 01:14 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  That is NOT the same sports channel. Time Warner has a hodge-podge of regional sports channels similar to Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Carolinas, etc...

Yeah, that was what I got from a quick search using the info provided a couple posts before regarding channel 691.

Just sharing what I found.
08-23-2013 01:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All American

(08-23-2013 01:24 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  
(08-23-2013 01:14 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  That is NOT the same sports channel. Time Warner has a hodge-podge of regional sports channels similar to Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Carolinas, etc...

Yeah, that was what I got from a quick search using the info provided a couple posts before regarding channel 691.

Just sharing what I found.

Thanks for sharing. Just didn't want anybody to get their hopes up about it being on DirecTV. I have a lot of questions about this deal. Some good, some bad.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 01:29 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-23-2013 01:28 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
It's bad. When you decrease the number of people who can watch MAC sports, it's a bad thing. I'm sure some will get it that didn't before, but the bottom line is that an exclusive deal in the heart of MAC territory that locks you into one cable provider for that area is a step backward. The future is in making games available to as broad an audience as possible, not giving away the rights to a limited provider like Time-Warner. I don't get it.
08-23-2013 01:35 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
Not cool, MAC. Not cool.
08-23-2013 01:37 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Are they too stupid to realize that many MAC grads are spread out all over the country? Now, WE lose access to MAC games. Very short sighted move and I'm pissed about it.
08-23-2013 01:46 PM
All American

(08-23-2013 01:09 PM)axeme Wrote:  A lot of sports fans have DISH or Direct TV. Not good. I believe they just shrank the potential audience. It's a pretty damn small group of viewers who are going to ditch satellite to get MAC sports and have to put up with Time-Warner in the bargain. No thanks..

I agree this is not an upgrade regionally from what I see so far. Either Fox Sports Ohio is shutting down STO and merging it onto one channel and didn't need all the content, OR this was at the request of ESPN as part of a much better deal? I just can't imagine STO wanting to continue the relationship and Steinbrecher thinking this was a better deal.

The ESPN deal that the AAC has is pretty amazing when you look at it, they don't even need a regional provider because every conference game for basketball is now on national TV. Temple fans are thrilled at how much better their coverage is from their A-10 deal. They just went from 8 national TV games to 26. I can only hope that the MAC has something cooking with ESPN and that perhaps ESPN just sold off those games to CBSSN to make room for us.

The Time Warner Cable Sports productions I saw last year were no where is good as the SportsTime Ohio productions. STO had great graphics and I like Michael Reghi who understood the MAC and was exciting to listen to. TWCS productions were only a half-step up from the MACDN school broadcasts.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 01:48 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-23-2013 01:47 PM
All American

Curious, question for MAC fans that lived outside of the STO footprint, Could a fan in Michigan or Illinois watch the MAC basketball games broadcast on STO last year?
08-23-2013 01:57 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
M(O)Y - Well, I got pissed last year when I bought the Dish multisport pack so I could see more MAC fb and bb games, only to find out that STO blacked out many/most of the games. 03-banghead FoxOhio never did that to us.

Marketing your conference by severely reducing the potential audience isn't exactly a winning business plan. I sure hope there is much more to this story - a shoe that hasn't dropped yet that will make this look entirely different. However, for some reason I doubt it.
08-23-2013 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.