Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"IS COLLEGE WORTH IT?"
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
"IS COLLEGE WORTH IT?"
That's the topic being discussed on CNN's "Situation Room" right now.

Gee, why on earth would anyone ask that question? /sarcasm
08-22-2013 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: "IS COLLEGE WORTH IT?"
Guess you have to more clearly define "worth it".

Interesting article on the subject.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/heres-wh...6C10936329
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 04:46 PM by Smaug.)
08-22-2013 04:46 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
It's worth it if you can get a job after graduation. I had it to do over again, I would get my degree in something like computer science, graphic design or engineering instead of a BA in advertising and journalism. The market has changed since I graduated in 2005. You need to have a clear path and a good understanding of the opportunities after graduation when picking a course of study.

It used to be that any degree would give you a doorway in. That isn't necessarily the case these days. Today's job market is very skill targeted.
08-22-2013 04:49 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I think it depends upon the individual. Over all I would tend to say yes but I know of people that should have never done it and instead just gone to a CC or learned a trade. Instead they pissed away money and time going to college. Honestly...I could have been doing the exact same job now if I had not gone to college. For me I went beyond the education. It was a growing experience. It was worth it for me...for my parents?..well they might say otherwise.03-lmfao I did though come away with the best thing in my life...my wife.
08-22-2013 04:56 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Believe it would normally be an individual decision.
Whether you do a lot with it or not,
whether it makes you a lot of money or not,
if it's worthwhile to you, then it's worth it.
08-22-2013 05:17 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Definitely up to the individual and definitely not for everybody.
08-22-2013 05:42 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-22-2013 04:49 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  It used to be that any degree would give you a doorway in. That isn't necessarily the case these days.
True -- but I would say that hasn't been the case for new graduates going back 40 years.
08-22-2013 05:53 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-22-2013 05:53 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(08-22-2013 04:49 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  It used to be that any degree would give you a doorway in. That isn't necessarily the case these days.
True -- but I would say that hasn't been the case for new graduates going back 40 years.

I agree. If one goes to college at least get a degree in a discipline that is in demand. That is, if one is only interested in college for the job that comes afterward.
08-22-2013 05:54 PM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Seeing as the current job situation in this country is less than robust, business are now requiring a degree just to answer the phone.

Funny thing is, I make a pretty good living working for myself… using my God given talents and 35+ years of experience, but due to the lack of a four-year degree I probably wouldn't qualify for the identical full-time position with the business in which I provide graphics and art work.
08-22-2013 05:57 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(08-22-2013 04:49 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  It's worth it if you can get a job after graduation. I had it to do over again, I would get my degree in something like computer science, graphic design or engineering instead of a BA in advertising and journalism. The market has changed since I graduated in 2005. You need to have a clear path and a good understanding of the opportunities after graduation when picking a course of study.

It used to be that any degree would give you a doorway in. That isn't necessarily the case these days. Today's job market is very skill targeted.

Okie,

It's not since 2005 that the wise thing to do was Engineering and applied sciences. we knew this back in the early 90's. If any teachers were telling you advertising and journalism was a good idea they were lying to your face or ignorant.

Im a big fan of picking something that will get you a job and marrying that to something you want to do. Computer Science and Journalism together could be a nice combination.

If you cant be a reporter you have the skills to be a technical writer or even someone who supports the IT infrastructure at a paper/new outlet.
08-22-2013 06:19 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I would advise anyone entering into college to look at the possibilities. The best bet is to try to get into an in-demand field, but going another way is also okay if all of the options are known. Any course of study can get a person a job if they do it the right way.

I know a girl who majored in European Lit or something like that and, after spending a semester and taking a class in finance law in Rotterdam, she's working for some type of investment institution selling to American investors. I know a few others with pretty spectacular stories, but the common theme is: they didn't go through college just trying to get a degree--they did whatever they could to make themselves more marketable.
08-22-2013 06:37 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I was in college for 10 years (4 years full time and 6 years part time). I have no regrets.

Of course, my entire education cost between $30,000 and $35,000, and I graduated with no debt. Back in my day, the costs were reasonable.
08-22-2013 10:17 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Judging by the liberal crew around here, it was a waste of money.
08-22-2013 11:17 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(08-22-2013 06:19 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(08-22-2013 04:49 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  It's worth it if you can get a job after graduation. I had it to do over again, I would get my degree in something like computer science, graphic design or engineering instead of a BA in advertising and journalism. The market has changed since I graduated in 2005. You need to have a clear path and a good understanding of the opportunities after graduation when picking a course of study.

Okie,

It's not since 2005 that the wise thing to do was Engineering and applied sciences. we knew this back in the early 90's. If any teachers were telling you advertising and journalism was a good idea they were lying to your face or ignorant.

Im a big fan of picking something that will get you a job and marrying that to something you want to do. Computer Science and Journalism together could be a nice combination.

If you cant be a reporter you have the skills to be a technical writer or even someone who supports the IT infrastructure at a paper/new outlet.

actually it has gotten me several jobs. Some in the ad agency and some in marketing. Some with high earning potential. I simply figured out later on that I didn't really enjoy those fields.
08-23-2013 01:56 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Re: "IS COLLEGE WORTH IT?"
College, like any other investment, is a risk that can bust, yield great returns, or land you somewhere in between. If you go, you best have a plan to include short and long term goals. If you go to go through the motions because that is what you do after high school, you are likely to bust. That is what happened to me... cost me an extra $30k for a master's degree to do work where I don't need one since my undergrad is worthless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
08-23-2013 05:55 AM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU

This may be the only thing we ever agree on. I graduated in 2005 as well with a BA in Public Relations. I couldn't find a job so I went back to school for my master's in sport management thinking I'd work in sports information. It wasn't all I thought it would be so I floundered for a couple of years with random jobs until I landed this one.

There is ZERO PR involved but I do get to flex my communication skills on a daily basis so there's that.
08-23-2013 07:00 AM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
A BS? No. An advanced specialty degree? Yes.
08-23-2013 07:30 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(08-22-2013 10:17 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I was in college for 10 years (4 years full time and 6 years part time). I have no regrets.

Of course, my entire education cost between $30,000 and $35,000, and I graduated with no debt. Back in my day, the costs were reasonable.

You could work during the summer to pay for school. Costs are completely out of control. They need to cut student loans, then watch tuition cost drop like a rock.
08-23-2013 07:32 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(08-22-2013 11:17 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Judging by the liberal crew around here, it was a waste of money.

03-yes

And taxpayer dollars
08-23-2013 07:33 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I graduated in 2005 with a BS in Construction Engineering Technology. I don't regret it due to the places I've gotten to live, things I've gotten to see, and the fact without the job I wouldn't had met my wife.

However, if I could do it over again, I think I might've went into Land Surveying or Landscape Architecture.. Something where I could break away and do my own thing. With Construction the way it is, it's safer to stay where you're at.
08-23-2013 07:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.