Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Athletic Fund Raising Shatters Records"
VBR_Productions Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Old Dominion
"Athletic Fund Raising Shatters Records"
http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...=209223791

"In 2012, ODAF saw a 19% increase in membership, jumping to 2,833 members from 2,420 the year before and generating $6.98 million. ODAF membership surpassed the 3,000th member mark for the first time in late July. Since the inception of football, annual fund donations have climbed by 44%, from $2.37 million in 2009 to $3.4 million in 2012."
08-21-2013 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: "Athletic Fund Raising Shatters Records"
Wish someone would break a little something off for the practice facility.
08-21-2013 09:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JacksWastedLife Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Texas A&M
Just goes to show how important football is to a school.
djnva Offline
All American

I heard they just got a big donation for that.
bigblue78 Offline
Special Teams

In the presser about the business school donation the VP mentioned a second $1 mill donation to the athletic dept:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/10m-2ndb...du-history

Broderick also announced a $1 million gift from Donna Fischer, president and CEO of Virginia Beach-based DLS Engineering Associates, to create an endowment to support student participation in interscholastic competitions

I believe that this donation is designated for the BB practice facility. I believe this puts ODU within the last $1 mill needed to completely fund the facility.
08-21-2013 09:57 AM
ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

(08-21-2013 09:57 AM)bigblue78 Wrote:  I believe that this donation is designated for the BB practice facility. I believe this puts ODU within the last $1 mill needed to completely fund the facility.

::drool::
08-21-2013 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

The start of football should be hiring Bobby. In 2007 when we hired Bobby Wilder we had 1,443 Big Blue members, donating $1.39mil. We have doubled the membership and dollars raised. We've increased at lease 10% every year.

The Basketball Practice Facility is moving to the Design/Build phase. Should be breaking ground soon.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2013 10:18 AM by DaBigBlue.)
08-21-2013 10:14 AM
Nukesquad Online
1st String

(08-21-2013 09:57 AM)bigblue78 Wrote:  I believe that this donation is designated for the BB practice facility. I believe this puts ODU within the last $1 mill needed to completely fund the facility.

True, but that's towards the orginial estimated price tag. The new estimated price tag will prob show a couple more mils attached to it.
08-21-2013 10:16 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

My understanding is that Ms. Fischer's money is for scholastic competition, meaning for students who are entering academic contests (i.e. concrete canoes, solar houses, etc.). The $1 million gift for basketball mentioned in the speech this week was from the Mitchum family.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2013 03:26 PM by ODUCoach.)
08-21-2013 03:11 PM
bigblue78 Offline
Special Teams

Thanks for the correction...it's nice to have more million dollar donations than you can keep straight.
08-21-2013 03:23 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(08-21-2013 03:11 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  My understanding is that Ms. Fischer's money is for scholastic competition, meaning for students who are entering academic contests (i.e. concrete canoes, solar houses, etc.). The $1 million gift for basketball mentioned in the speech this week was from the Mitchum family.

Did the Mitchum Family make another large donation? I'm sure they made a Naming Consideration (it will be named in recognition of the Mitchum's) size donation about a year or so back.
08-21-2013 03:41 PM
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I have no idea. Here are some nuggets from the transcript:

Quote:Private support of Old Dominion has been tremendous as well.

We've raised close to 100 million dollars in gifts and commitments, including 21 gifts of more than $1 million each.

Dick and Carolyn Barry's 2 million dollar donation is the foundation for a new art building now under construction in the University Village. A 1 million dollar gift from Jim Hixon will fund a connected art studio building and an arts endowment. When finished next spring, the two buildings will house classrooms, studios and the Chrysler Museum's Jean Outland Art Library.

An outdoor amphitheater, supported by a 1 million gift from Macon and Joan Brock, will be a site for concerts and performances when it opens next summer on the north end of Monarch Way.

These new venues will join the existing Gordon Art Galleries, David and Susan Goode Theatre, and University Theatre, all within a three-block stretch, to create a dynamic Arts in the Village community along Monarch Way.

In athletics, a 1 million dollar gift from the Mitchum family brought our proposed basketball practice facility one step closer to reality, and Larry and Kathy Hill's donation of 1 million dollars continues to support our athletic programs. In gratitude the university's Powhatan Sports Complex was named in the Hill's honor.

Quote:Finally, I have spoken at length about our dedication to both student success and economic development of the region. When I consider that tomorrow's entrepreneurs are today's students, the university's responsibility is clear: to teach, grow and nurture those innovators so they are prepared to propel our economy to the future.

We are launching a major initiative to develop an entrepreneurial curriculum that will be geared to students across all disciplines. Such a focus will not only help create the next generation of CEOs, but it will also foster creative thinking among future teachers, nurses, engineers, political scientists, and chemists.

I am thrilled to announce that our vision is also that of Old Dominion University alumnus Mark Strome, and his wife, Tammy, who through their Strome Family Foundation have donated 10 million dollars to make it a reality!
08-21-2013 03:49 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

Thanks Coach. It looks like since this was a state of the university address most of these donations were reiterations of previous announcements (except for the Strome Family gift.)
08-21-2013 05:49 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

We're gonna need a big donation from either Norfolk southern or Smithfield to get a really top of the line stadium.

Anyone have any connections? Ha
08-21-2013 06:36 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(08-21-2013 06:36 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  We're gonna need a big donation from either Norfolk southern or Smithfield to get a really top of the line stadium.

Well, due to my middle name being Hammond, my sobriquet among family and friends is Ham.
08-21-2013 07:19 PM
bit_9 Offline

I have a couple buddy's at Norfolk Southern I could ask one of them to drop a bug in the ear of some of the top dogs as he travels with them as their personal "IT" concierge. Ya never know.
08-21-2013 07:45 PM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Uggh I never take advice from my personal "IT" concierge.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
08-21-2013 08:43 PM
bit_9 Offline

Haha, do you seriously have an IT concierge?
08-21-2013 08:47 PM
odubum Offline
2nd String

ODU just received a $10 Million dollar donation from an alumnus. It isn't for sports though. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.wtop.com/120/3427795/Alumnus-...d-Dominion
08-21-2013 09:23 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2013 06:36 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  We're gonna need a big donation from either Norfolk southern or Smithfield to get a really top of the line stadium.

Not sure the Chinese have much love for American college football.
08-21-2013 10:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.