Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Montgomery Lands New ESPN Bowl
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Montgomery Lands New ESPN Bowl
Montgomery will announce a new ESPN bowl between the MAC and Sunbelt today. That makes two new bowls moving forward (The Detroit Lions Bowl and the Montgomery Bowl). Personally, I think there is really only room for one more bowl. The Marlins, Christmas, Cure, Boca, and Legends Bowl (recently moved thier efforts to Charleston from Montgomery) are all still trying to put all the pieces together.

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- The city of Montgomery has landed an ESPN-owned bowl game pairing the Sun Belt against the Mid-American Conference, according to industry sources with knowledge of the information. An announcement will be made this afternoon in Montgomery.

The game will be owned by ESPN Regional Television and begin in 2014 at the Cramton Bowl. The contract is a six-year deal.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...cart_river
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 11:03 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-19-2013 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Montgomery Lands New ESPN Bowl
With Detroit Pizza Bowl being replaced there is still on a net +1. There could be room for 2 more, I think, with all of the FCS move-ups.
08-19-2013 10:07 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Also we've lost the double hosting bowl for the national champion which counted among the 35.

34. Lions Bowl (replaces LCPB)
35. Montgomery (replaces double host)

With 9 new teams in FCS I would say logically that 4-5 more bowl games could be created beyond that number.
08-19-2013 10:32 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
03-lmfao I can't believe how many bowls there are now.
08-19-2013 10:35 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Montgomery sucks.
08-19-2013 10:41 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Ew..
08-19-2013 10:44 AM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(08-19-2013 10:07 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  With Detroit Pizza Bowl being replaced there is still on a net +1. There could be room for 2 more, I think, with all of the FCS move-ups.

The Little Caesar's replacement has yet to come to fruition. I know they're trying, but it isn't real just yet. The Montgomery Bowl makes 36 games, but only brings the total direct-bid spots back up to 70.
08-19-2013 10:47 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Yeah that's a bad bowl game.
08-19-2013 10:49 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(08-19-2013 10:47 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 10:07 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  With Detroit Pizza Bowl being replaced there is still on a net +1. There could be room for 2 more, I think, with all of the FCS move-ups.

The Little Caesar's replacement has yet to come to fruition. I know they're trying, but it isn't real just yet. The Montgomery Bowl makes 36 games, but only brings the total direct-bid spots back up to 70.

Ah, I thought the "Lions" Bowl was announced as a done deal with ACC & B1G.
08-19-2013 10:53 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-19-2013 10:32 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Also we've lost the double hosting bowl for the national champion which counted among the 35.

34. Lions Bowl (replaces LCPB)
35. Montgomery (replaces double host)

With 9 new teams in FCS I would say logically that 4-5 more bowl games could be created beyond that number.

This year we just have 126. But good point--I think we could see 3 more NET games. And I agree that Montgomery sucks. I also wonder why they are using the old high school looking stadium and not ASU's new stadium.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 11:03 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-19-2013 11:01 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(08-19-2013 10:53 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 10:47 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

Ah, I thought the "Lions" Bowl was announced as a done deal with ACC & B1G.

It is, but it kicks the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl out of Ford Field. They're now on the hunt for a new venue, if they can find one.
08-19-2013 11:12 AM
Advertisement

gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Seems like ESPN is on the move to increase its' bowl owned inventory. So far, they have announced Las Vegas and Hawaii as part of a pool. The question remains what other bowls will be involved...at least two and maybe more. I have to think that ESPN will want to try and manufacture at least one "ratings" game per bowl season. If you're feeling really kooky, put on a tin foil hat, and squint real hard... Could ESPN be gathering company owned bowls to control a G5 playoff in the event of a split? Probably not, but is does make you wonder why the rush to own bowls vs. bidding on broadcast rights.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 11:38 AM by gulfcoastgal.)
08-19-2013 11:21 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-19-2013 11:21 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Seems like ESPN is on the move to increase its' bowl owned inventory. So far, they have announced Las Vegas and Hawaii as part of a pool. The question remains what other bowls will be involved...at least two and maybe more. I have to think that ESPN will want to try and manufacture at least one "ratings" game per bowl season. If you're feeling really kooky, put on a tin foil hat, and squint real hard... Could ESPN be gathering company owned bowls to control a G5 playoff in the event of a split? Probably not, but is does make you wonder why the rush to own bowls vs. biding on broadcast rights.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3m
ESPN owns 9 bowls, wants to add Heart of Dallas & new one in Boca Raton. If so will own 11 of 31-non @CFBPlayoff bowls
08-19-2013 11:29 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(08-19-2013 11:29 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3m
ESPN owns 9 bowls, wants to add Heart of Dallas & new one in Boca Raton. If so will own 11 of 31-non @CFBPlayoff bowls

Don't do it, Banowsky.
08-19-2013 11:33 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2013 11:29 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 11:21 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Seems like ESPN is on the move to increase its' bowl owned inventory. So far, they have announced Las Vegas and Hawaii as part of a pool. The question remains what other bowls will be involved...at least two and maybe more. I have to think that ESPN will want to try and manufacture at least one "ratings" game per bowl season. If you're feeling really kooky, put on a tin foil hat, and squint real hard... Could ESPN be gathering company owned bowls to control a G5 playoff in the event of a split? Probably not, but is does make you wonder why the rush to own bowls vs. biding on broadcast rights.

Guess that means our Miami Bowl is as good as dead
08-19-2013 11:34 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-19-2013 11:34 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Not necessarily. The Miami Bowl would be owned by the AAC--not ESPN. ESPN would have to buy the 6 year TV rights via a contract with the AAC. But they wouldn't own the bowl and they would only control the TV rights until the contract term expired. I give Aresco credit here, that's the one place where the AAC really did try to do something different. Im just not sure its worth fooling with if the game is just going to be against some random CUSA also-ran.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 11:45 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-19-2013 11:39 AM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2013 11:39 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Not necessarily. The Miami Bowl would be owned by the AAC--not ESPN. They could buy the TV rights for a period of time, but they wouldn't own the bowl once the contract term expired. That's the one place where the AAC really did try to do something different.

So if ESPN owns the HoD, does that mean CUSA has the potential of getting kicked out in the future and replaced?
08-19-2013 11:41 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-19-2013 11:41 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 11:39 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Not necessarily. The Miami Bowl would be owned by the AAC--not ESPN. They could buy the TV rights for a period of time, but they wouldn't own the bowl once the contract term expired. That's the one place where the AAC really did try to do something different.

So if ESPN owns the HoD, does that mean CUSA has the potential of getting kicked out in the future and replaced?

Yup. Might be the cost ESPN is asking CUSA to pay to get the Boca Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 11:47 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-19-2013 11:45 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
ESPN buying the bowls makes it pretty interesting. They basically have broadcasted all the other bowls except 1 or 2. Are the other bowls TV contracts going out to bid? Logically looking at it with having CBS, NBS and FOX1 and FOX2 bowl games would not have to start prior to Christmas as in the past. In 2015, Dec 26 would be Wed so looking at the schedule that each Cable Channel had a game. Actually this would be pretty cool but I have not heard anything about FOX, CBS and NBC trying to contract other bowls.

7 Sport Cable Channels (In theory 35 bowl games could be shown prior to Dec 31 and Jan 1)
26 - Wed - 7 games
27 -Thur - 7 games
28 - Fri - 7 games
29 - Sat 14 Games (Min)
30 - NFL Day
31 - Primary Bowls 3 games
1 - Primary Bowls 3 games
08-19-2013 11:45 AM
ECUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For:
AAC should go after the Charleston Bowl as their bottom bowl.
08-19-2013 11:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.