TheHouseThatBorkBuilt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
FS1 vs. ESPN
Fox Sports 1 vs. ESPN.
What would be better for the MAC?
FS1
Pro: Clean Slate, possibly less biased.
Con: Not well known enough and could get us less attention, began JUST TODAY.

ESPN
Pro: Established, very well known
Con: Very biased, forces us to play on weekdays.
08-17-2013 04:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
RE: FS1 vs. ESPN
I say FS1. E$PN is too biased and will never change. I'm hoping FS! is not like that.
08-17-2013 04:49 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
NBC Sports?
08-17-2013 04:55 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
If FS1 would involve bringing football Saturdays back, Id vote for FS1. Anything to get more fans to return to MAC football would be welcome!
08-17-2013 05:01 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

Just because a game isn't on saturday doesn't mean anyone will watch it. On saturdays you're competing vs. SEC BIG Etc

While it sucks as a season ticket holder to have weeknight games. It has increased our profile.
08-17-2013 05:20 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-17-2013 05:20 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  Just because a game isn't on saturday doesn't mean anyone will watch it. On saturdays you're competing vs. SEC BIG Etc

While it sucks as a season ticket holder to have weeknight games. It has increased our profile.

The balance has been tipped though, we have absolutely nobody going to MAC games anymore. What good is promoting a product that doesn't have any paying customers?
08-17-2013 05:30 PM
Advertisement

PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

I would say FS1 if its available in the same package as ESPN is, otherwise its counterproductive.
08-17-2013 05:42 PM
numbersdontlie Offline

(08-17-2013 05:30 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(08-17-2013 05:20 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  Just because a game isn't on saturday doesn't mean anyone will watch it. On saturdays you're competing vs. SEC BIG Etc

The balance has been tipped though, we have absolutely nobody going to MAC games anymore. What good is promoting a product that doesn't have any paying customers?

You can't peg weeknight games as being the smoking gun for the attendance issue. Attendance is down everywhere. What about on a Saturday.
08-17-2013 06:39 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-17-2013 06:39 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  
(08-17-2013 05:30 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

You can't peg weeknight games as being the smoking gun for the attendance issue. Attendance is down everywhere. What about on a Saturday.

The lack of Saturday games AND the poor schedule has really hurt NIU. When people see no Saturday games, they are less likely to buy season tickets and thus not attend even the Saturday games, especially considering there is no reason to otherwise buy season tickets with no good opponents. They definitely work together.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2013 06:51 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
08-17-2013 06:50 PM
numbersdontlie Offline

You win. I'm not getting into an attendance fight with you
08-17-2013 07:12 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-17-2013 07:12 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  You win. I'm not getting into an attendance fight with you

hey now! I wasn't trying to fight, I just get too riled up about attendance and scheduling, sorry about that
08-17-2013 07:21 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

It would be good if the B1G went to FS1 in 2016 when their contract is up and we stayed with ESPN.
08-17-2013 07:55 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-17-2013 07:55 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  It would be good if the B1G went to FS1 in 2016 when their contract is up and we stayed with ESPN.

Whatever we need to do to get back to Saturdays I'm all for. We don't have that many fans left, but bringing back SAturday college football would be a big step in the right direction.
08-17-2013 08:11 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
If anything I'm hoping Fox and NBC news will give some good old fashioned competition to the mighty ESPN which, frankly, dominates. They know it and can charge cable operators tons of money. ESPN might single handedly be the reason TV is so damn expensive.
08-18-2013 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2013 11:42 AM)niuguy Wrote:  If anything I'm hoping Fox and NBC news will give some good old fashioned competition to the mighty ESPN which, frankly, dominates. They know it and can charge cable operators tons of money. ESPN might single handedly be the reason TV is so damn expensive.

FS1 and NBC-S are not going to go in a bidding war for MAC.

I bet that Fox goes after the B1G hard for 2017 and ESPNs only Midwest football connection is to Cinci and the MAC.
08-18-2013 11:58 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
It's WAAAaaaaaayyyy too early to judge FS1, even though I loathe espn.
08-18-2013 12:01 PM
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

Whoever is going to pay the MAC the most. I don't think having MAC games on Saturday will get more viewers that much. NBC sports has smaller teams play on Saturdays and I never watch those games. People are used to ESPN, they aren't going to switch because of MACtion. I get the whole attendance thing, but people aren't going when we do have Saturday games.
08-18-2013 12:17 PM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
(08-18-2013 12:17 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  Whoever is going to pay the MAC the most. I don't think having MAC games on Saturday will get more viewers that much. NBC sports has smaller teams play on Saturdays and I never watch those games. People are used to ESPN, they aren't going to switch because of MACtion. I get the whole attendance thing, but people aren't going when we do have Saturday games.

Agree. Also, I'm sure that weekday MACtion makes lots of $ for ESPN. I doubt that $ is flowing back to the MAC. Plus reporters like little Herbie really put the MAC in a bad light. Considering that we are partners, I'm surprised that ESPN allows this to happen. In the consulting world, it you ever said anything like that about your partner or client, you'd be out of there in about two seconds. On a positive note, Herbie's comments did help viewership for the Orange Bowl.
08-18-2013 12:41 PM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

FWIW, I loved the production NBCS put on when we played Army. I wouldn't mind NBCS taking over. Plus, they are affiliated with Comcast SportsNet being under NBC control now. Could be a win-win locally and nationally.
08-18-2013 01:08 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2013 01:08 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  FWIW, I loved the production NBCS put on when we played Army. I wouldn't mind NBCS taking over. Plus, they are affiliated with Comcast SportsNet being under NBC control now. Could be a win-win locally and nationally.

That was CBS-College Sports
08-18-2013 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.