Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Montgomery bowl a go?
Bookmark and Share
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Montgomery bowl a go?
@Messenger_Wes: City of Montgomery and ESPN have called a joint press conference for Monday at 2pm..... Hmmm, bowl game involving Sun Belt?

Wes is Troy's beat writer.

Good chance this involves the MAC... Not a big fan of it since the venue only seats 25k... Troy is only 35mins south of Montgomery and we have a large campus in Montgomery. We would sell that out ourselves.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 03:55 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
08-16-2013 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
RE: Montgomery bowl a go?
Good grief, this sucks.......
08-16-2013 04:09 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-16-2013 04:09 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Good grief, this sucks.......

I could see where it would suck more so for y'all... But it would be warmer... Maybe lol
08-16-2013 04:10 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
I thought I read on the SBC board that @CUSA retweeted that.

I hope it's a SBC vs C-FCS bowl.

NO THANKS.

More like CRAPton Bowl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramton_Bowl

MAC Commish needs to step down if he cannot get at least 5 bowls for the MAC including NO MORE vs SBC, Mobile is good and enough.

EDIT: I thought I read that on the SBC board, but looking at the Tweet, I don't see a retweet from C-FCS. It looks like pure speculation and probably not related to a Bowl game at all. I don't think that the 30K (or is it 35K) stadium minimum for a Bowl has been reduced. I don't think the joint press conference, if there's even one, is related to a bowl and if it is it better not have anything to do with the MAC.

EDIT2: Oh, I see it now. It wasn't C-FCS who retweeted it it was CUSAbbs, or the jokers on that board here. As long as this doesn't have anything to do with the MAC, who gives a ****.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 04:27 PM by TARDledo.)
08-16-2013 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I really hope that if we get a new bowl in the south it's Charleston. I'd rather take Little Rock over Montgomery, at least that gives us leverage to try and lure in stAte or Missouri State one day if we go for that plan. But in all honesty, even if Montgomery isn't much, it's better than nothing at all.
08-16-2013 04:30 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
Word on the Sun Belt board is that has MAC signed on for this game. What a complete pile of crap? If this proves true, I will never watch another MAC bowl game. A second bowl game in Alabama against the Sun Belt. This bowl will be the biggest turd of entire bowl season. Awful news.

I would also partially thank ESPN for putting this crap together to fuel their lust for marginal ratings at the expense of the fans. So mad NBC Sports and Charleston didnt get off the ground.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 04:39 PM by HuskieTap22.)
08-16-2013 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Nope... My sources have now informed me this WILL be a MAC vs SBC bowl.
08-16-2013 04:45 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

If this proves to be true, who's going to start the "FIRE Dr. Jon Steinbrecher" thread?
08-16-2013 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

(08-16-2013 04:45 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  If this proves to be true, who's going to start the "FIRE Dr. Jon Steinbrecher" thread?

Yeah dude. This annoucement plus the fact this all but kills Charleston getting off the ground equals MAC front office blows. I would assume they once again found the attraction of selling out to ESPN too much to turn down.
08-16-2013 04:47 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

Sports Mecca: Montgomery, AL

[Image: MontgomeryBiscuits.png]
08-16-2013 04:56 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(08-16-2013 04:47 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  
(08-16-2013 04:45 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  If this proves to be true, who's going to start the "FIRE Dr. Jon Steinbrecher" thread?

Yeah dude. This annoucement plus the fact this all but kills Charleston getting off the ground equals MAC front office blows. I would assume they once again found the attraction of selling out to ESPN too much to turn down.

This has everything to do with ESPN. The Little Rock Bowl was said to be a Fox Sports 1 Bowl by ArkStFan and the Charleston Bowl was said to be a NBC Sports Bowl game. Both places and venues better than Montgomery, but ESPN did not want Fox or NBC in the game. They also just bought our Boise Bowl.

All I can say is that Steinbrecher is bending over backwards for ESPN and sacraficing better bowls just to keep ESPN in monopoly. These moves better be tied to an agreement with ESPN for a much better TV deal now. Much better. Lets see how this plays out. The CUSA is paid for by Fox and I'd bet the CUSA bowl game in Roca is televised and owned by Fox.
08-16-2013 05:00 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

There really isn't much to do in Montgomery besides eat and shop. It's not a large city at all. 3rd largest behind Birmingham and Mobile.
08-16-2013 05:02 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(08-16-2013 05:00 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(08-16-2013 04:47 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  

This has everything to do with ESPN. The Little Rock Bowl was said to be a Fox Sports 1 Bowl by ArkStFan and the Charleston Bowl was said to be a NBC Sports Bowl game. Both places and venues better than Montgomery, but ESPN did not want Fox or NBC in the game. They also just bought our Boise Bowl.

All I can say is that Steinbrecher is bending over backwards for ESPN and sacraficing better bowls just to keep ESPN in monopoly. These moves better be tied to an agreement with ESPN for a much better TV deal now. Much better. Lets see how this plays out. The CUSA is paid for by Fox and I'd bet the CUSA bowl game in Roca is televised and owned by Fox.

I agree. It doesn't make any sense for Steinbrecher to make such cautious, secretive decisions regarding MAC membership, yet at the same time abruptly come out with a big bowl announcement involving ESPN. Your other posts about our TV deal indicated that our new deal could be just as good (if not better) than that of other non-AQ conferences. I would assume that we're making better money than the others in this scenario, given that we can (a) simply absorb some of the money that the WAC made and the AAC/C-USA lost, (b) we have hardly any other TV relationship outside of ESPN, and © have vastly improved our football performance and exposure since we made the last deal.

Is Montgomery ideal? Hardly. However, I'm reserving judgement until I have all the facts. Once we know our ESPN TV deal, our overall bowl picture, and our long-term membership, then I'll look at our situation and see whether or not Steinbrecher f***ed us over or not. Until then, we're just looking at a few pieces of the puzzle.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 05:19 PM by Love and Honor.)
08-16-2013 05:15 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

That's a long freaking drive. How do you even fly into this bowl?

You probably can't fly/cab it, so you're looking at fly/rent a car and still probably driving, what, 2 hours to from airport each way?

Quick Check: Are you really going to have to fly into Birmingham or Atlanta and then drive? Birmingham 96 miles/1.5 hours, Atlanta 155 miles/2.5 hours

Unless the MAC is going to get on ESPN/ESPN2 (no more ESPN3 or ESPNU crap) AND get a bump in pay of AT LEAST $2 million PER SCHOOL, then it's going to be really difficult to justify this, if it turns out to be true.

FIRE Steinbrecher!
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 06:38 PM by TARDledo.)
08-16-2013 06:32 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Delta flys into Montgomery.
08-16-2013 06:37 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(08-16-2013 06:37 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Delta flys into Montgomery.

You can get flights from Detroit Metro for about 450 bucks round trip.
08-16-2013 06:45 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

This isn't even a bowl destination Troy fans would get excited about and it's basically in our back yard.

Troy Vs Ohio and Ohio would be outnumbered 10-1
08-16-2013 06:48 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
I hate warm weather football.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 06:58 PM by uakronkid.)
08-16-2013 06:58 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
10-1? 1000 MAC fans and 10,000 Troy fans. Seems about right.
08-16-2013 07:00 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

Its looking like $550 - $700 for flights out of Chicago and no non-stops. That is also months in advance of the game. I can only imagine how much higher the prices will be when you go to book weeks before the game. Hopefully NIU is never picked for this game because I would never go to this game. Looks like the real winner here is ESPN as the MAC just helped them add another 3hr informercial for the national championship game to their lineup.
08-16-2013 07:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.