Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does anyone get Sports Illustrated?
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Does anyone get Sports Illustrated?
They had a blurb on the cover about "Revenge of the Nerds" in their college football preview issue....mentioned Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Northwestern on the front. I was wondering if we got some sort of tiny font mention in the article.
08-14-2013 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
RE: Does anyone get Sports Illustrated?
No clue.

But Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt all made their top 25.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...on-top-25/
08-14-2013 08:19 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
And all, except Vandy, are academically ranked higher than Rice in USNWR.
08-14-2013 09:24 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Speaking of Vandy... Four of their Football Players were arrested for sexual assault and terminated from the Team last week.
08-14-2013 09:31 PM
Advertisement

wrysal Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
(08-14-2013 03:56 PM)07owl Wrote:  They had a blurb on the cover about "Revenge of the Nerds" in their college football preview issue....mentioned Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Northwestern on the front. I was wondering if we got some sort of tiny font mention in the article.

Naturally, the only mention of Rice in the whole magazine was describing the ucla qb's 72-yard td run on the first play of his career and the fact that the aggies were starting the season with two creampuffs. In SI's eyes Rice is either to be utterly disdained or completely ignored.
08-15-2013 05:45 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(08-15-2013 05:45 PM)wrysal Wrote:  
(08-14-2013 03:56 PM)07owl Wrote:  They had a blurb on the cover about "Revenge of the Nerds" in their college football preview issue....mentioned Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Northwestern on the front. I was wondering if we got some sort of tiny font mention in the article.

Naturally, the only mention of Rice in the whole magazine was describing the ucla qb's 72-yard td run on the first play of his career and the fact that the aggies were starting the season with two creampuffs. In SI's eyes Rice is either to be utterly disdained or completely ignored.

We were in the table of highest graduation rates in FBS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...f=sihp#all

I believe this was the article originally being discussed.
08-15-2013 05:55 PM
robert eubank Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
And they might have to be writing an article like " The Nerd We Missed"" after the season. And I am not referring to a victory over A&M but a possible 11-1 record and a win in the conference championship game. That is a reasonable dream.
08-15-2013 10:59 PM
Advertisement

JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-15-2013 05:45 PM)wrysal Wrote:  

Sadly, not just SI's eyes.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 07:46 AM by JSA.)
08-16-2013 07:46 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Rice has earned the disdain it receives. We have not been a relevant player in football or any other area of intercollegiate athletics except baseball since the 1960s. That will get you ignored. And it is hard to argue otherwise.

Let's fix our program first, and then start worrying about national perception. My very strong hunch is that fixing ourselves will more than take care of the national attention issue.

When the biggest story about our athletic program in the past year is Kazemi, we should probably prefer to be ignored.
08-16-2013 09:15 AM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
Isn't the article about schools that are simultaneously in the top 20 of an academic ranking and a football ranking? We haven't achieved the latter, so I'm not sure you can say we were ignored with respect to this article.
08-16-2013 01:05 PM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2013 09:15 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Rice has earned the disdain it receives. We have not been a relevant player in football or any other area of intercollegiate athletics except baseball since the 1960s. That will get you ignored. And it is hard to argue otherwise.

Let's fix our program first, and then start worrying about national perception. My very strong hunch is that fixing ourselves will more than take care of the national attention issue.

When the biggest story about our athletic program in the past year is Kazemi, we should probably prefer to be ignored.

So breaking NCAA records is irrelevant?
08-16-2013 01:23 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(08-16-2013 09:15 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Let's fix our program first, and then start worrying about national perception. My very strong hunch is that fixing ourselves will more than take care of the national attention issue.

How and why we got here is irrelevant now, as is the apportionent of blame. The road back starts Aug. 31, and will end in abowl. How we do in that stretch will either cement our bad reputation or start the beginning of a new one.
08-16-2013 03:45 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(08-16-2013 03:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-16-2013 09:15 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Let's fix our program first, and then start worrying about national perception. My very strong hunch is that fixing ourselves will more than take care of the national attention issue.

How and why we got here is irrelevant now, as is the apportionent of blame. The road back starts Aug. 31, and will end in abowl. How we do in that stretch will either cement our bad reputation or start the beginning of a new one.

We have the talent and experience. We should "run the table" in Conference if we execute.

If there is some massive Train Wreck ... well...
08-17-2013 05:36 PM
NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

Optimistic, Foolish, Blind... all I may be. But with the circus at A&M and everyone who's paying attention saying we *won't* win, I harbor hopes that we will. I still remember the last UT upset. Any given Saturday.
08-18-2013 07:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.