Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most hated sports figure in each state
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Most hated sports figure in each state
who is the most despised sports figure in each state?

for example
ohio: BO
michigan: woody (although rich rod deserves an honorable mention)

but what are some other states?

west virginia: toss up between rich rod & (insert any ACC commish)
Connecticut: john swofford
Massachusetts: roger clemons

others?
08-14-2013 12:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nert Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, CMU, Cincinnati
RE: Most hated sports figure in each state
(08-14-2013 12:19 AM)john01992 Wrote:  who is the most despised sports figure in each state?

for example

others?

No, no, no - sorry - but you do not know the state of Michigan.

In Michigan (especially in the Detroit area) it is Claude Lemeiux (the turtle) - hands down. He made a cheap shot that nearly ends the career (and the face) of Kris Draper in the playoffs.

The next year (when the two teams meet again) - it leads to the best brawl in hockey history (and that is saying something). Darren McCarty bloodies the little twerp (who covers his head like a little girl the entire time). Even the goalies got in on it as Mike Vernon draws blood on the much bigger Patrick Roy

It even had a sequel at the start of the second period between Shannahan and Foote. Four seconds into the period, they both drop the gloves and go at it - without even a word between them.

Good, good, theatre.

The Bo-Woody thing was cute (and only if you were a UMich fan) - but it was never like this. This was hate.

Red Wings beat up the Avalanche.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 12:48 AM by nert.)
08-14-2013 12:47 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
State of Georgia -- Steve Spurrier. Nick Saban possibly a distant second.

For people who are into NASCAR (which I am not): Kyle Busch. But people who are not into NASCAR have absolutely no idea who he is. I guess I would say that he probably ranks #3 in terms of the overall number of people who hate him, behind Spurrier/Saban.
08-14-2013 12:57 AM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
For most Tech fans its craig james.

That idiot tried running for a senate seat and got like 1% of the votes in Texas. Got dumped by ESPN and then his own state laughed at him.
08-14-2013 01:17 AM
jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
(08-14-2013 12:19 AM)john01992 Wrote:  who is the most despised sports figure in each state?

for example

others?
You might be speaking for Columbus, but Cincinnati couldn't care less about Bo. Cincy hates many sports figures, but I have to go with Bart Giamatti for banning Pete Rose from baseball and the hall of fame.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 06:28 AM by jnewyouth.)
08-14-2013 06:28 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Louisiana=Nick Saban.
08-14-2013 06:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
New York: Bill Belicheck

Massachusetts: Peyton Manning

Pennsylvania: Joe Paterno (still...)
08-14-2013 06:47 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Alex Rodriguez is pretty hated in New York. People will cheer if he does something good for the Yankees, but they still hate him.
08-14-2013 07:08 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Connecticut's most hated sports figure is definitly Gene Defilippo
08-14-2013 07:27 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

for example

others?

People outside of OH don't get this but Cincy is basically it's own city state in terms of fans, views on things, etc. IE people in Cincy don't' give two shats about BO. There are OSU fans in Cincy, sure, but there are UK fans, ND fans, UofL fans etc. By in large Cincy is made up of people who like Bengals, Reds, and then UC and lessor extent XU. And that's the bulk of the fans. The polls they do in the paper/online every so often bear this out every single time. The polls usually look something like thiis:

"Rank your favorite sports teams" and the results are always about like this:
1. Reds
2. Bengals
3. UC
4. HS football
5. XU

Ohio state is usually around 6 or 7th on the list EVERY TIME.

As I said in general Cincinnati folks don't view things like the rest of the people in OH. The political views, fav sports teams, cultural tastes, etc etc etc are vastly different in Cincy vs the rest of OH.

Just wanted to share this as most people assume Cincy is an 'Ohio State' town...it's not and it's not even close.
08-14-2013 07:34 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-14-2013 06:28 AM)jnewyouth Wrote:  

for example

others?
You might be speaking for Columbus, but Cincinnati couldn't care less about Bo. Cincy hates many sports figures, but I have to go with Bart Giamatti for banning Pete Rose from baseball and the hall of fame.

If you askeed the question back in the 70s and 80s, Bo may have been the most hated in Columbus and the northern part of the state. However, later in life there grew a respect for Schembechler, especially before Woody Hayes died and reached out an olive branch to Bo. I would say the most hated sports figure to Central and Northern Ohio right now is a two way tie between Lebron James and the SEC Conference (Ohio State fans are obsessed with that conference).

I would agree with you about Cincinnati hating MLB for banning Pete, but I question whether the hatred is more directed towards Bud Selig who has refused to admit Pete into the Hall after Giamatti's death. It has been repeatedly reported (and even stated by Pete Rose) that there was a deal to reinstate him after one year but Giamatti died before that could happen and took that secret pact to the grave with him. Some have speculated that MLB blamed Giamatti's premature death on the scandal.
08-14-2013 07:39 AM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
In Texas it's Jerry Jones. Both fans and foes of the Cowboys hate that incompetent glory hog.
08-14-2013 07:41 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Just like Cincy is different from the rest of the state of OH, I'm sure Cleveland residents would hate pro sports personalities more than any U of M coaches or players. Just my guess, but the most hated sports people in Cleveland would be:

1. Art Modell
  2. LeBron James
  3. James Harrison
  4. Hines Ward
  5. Jack Lambert
  6. Some Ohio State nemesis...
08-14-2013 07:46 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
In Buffalo, it would be Scott Norwood with an honorable mention to Brett Hull.
08-14-2013 07:48 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-14-2013 07:46 AM)miko33 Wrote:  Just like Cincy is different from the rest of the state of OH, I'm sure Cleveland residents would hate pro sports personalities more than any U of M coaches or players. Just my guess, but the most hated sports people in Cleveland would be:

1. Art Modell
  2. LeBron James
  3. James Harrison
  4. Hines Ward
  5. Jack Lambert

I know Cleveland very well too. My wife's family is from that neck of the woods and I do business up there. Cleveland is a pro sports town but they are very much loyal to Ohio State University. There is a love affair between the cities/residents of Cleveland and Columbus that has always existed and continues to this day. I forgot about Modell so I would agree with you that Modell and Lebron are at the top, but Ohio State is very much up there with them in the discussion.
08-14-2013 08:01 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(08-14-2013 08:01 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(08-14-2013 07:46 AM)miko33 Wrote:  Just like Cincy is different from the rest of the state of OH, I'm sure Cleveland residents would hate pro sports personalities more than any U of M coaches or players. Just my guess, but the most hated sports people in Cleveland would be:

1. Art Modell
  2. LeBron James
  3. James Harrison
  4. Hines Ward
  5. Jack Lambert

I know Cleveland very well too. My wife's family is from that neck of the woods and I do business up there. Cleveland is a pro sports town but they are very much loyal to Ohio State University. There is a love affair between the cities/residents of Cleveland and Columbus that has always existed and continues to this day. I forgot about Modell so I would agree with you that Modell and Lebron are at the top, but Ohio State is very much up there with them in the discussion.

Agree that OSU is much more loved around Cleveland than in the south or around Toledo. But I think Modell, James and Harrison are more hated than Bo Schembechler or any UM player. I think Ray Lewis may even get up there ahead of UM sports figures too.
08-14-2013 08:21 AM
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(08-14-2013 07:41 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  In Texas it's Jerry Jones. Both fans and foes of the Cowboys hate that incompetent glory hog.

I agree with that.
08-14-2013 08:33 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Louisville fans it's Calipari
Kentucky fans it's Pitino
08-14-2013 09:00 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Arkansas, probably Gus Malzahn.

Some folks in NW Arkansas hated him because his high school teams just chewed up their opponents and never stopped running the full offense (albeit with back-ups) all game long no matter the score.

Then many Hog fans hated him blaming him for a lot of the turmoil of the final Nutt years.

Arkansas State fans hate him because he would answer the question of how long he'd stay by listing his goals at ASU and say he wasn't leaving until he met them. He would say he was at ASU because he had come home. Told one reporter that anyone who believed the rumors linking him to Auburn didn't know him very well. Turned down a $1.4 million contract to get back to Auburn. The final straw was that while Hugh Freeze spoke often of Arkansas State and his appreciation for the chance to get his start there. Made sure all of his ASU assistants had a job. The guys he left behind that Gus didn't take, he hired to administrative roles. Gus on the other hand will ignore questions about Arkansas State.

Disliking Gus is about the only thing ASU and Arkansas fans agree on.
08-14-2013 09:01 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I live in Pennsylvania and it's very complex. James Carville once described Pennsylvania thusly:
"Pennsylvania is Philadelphia in the East and Pittsburgh in the West, with Alabama in between."

I think that is a little simplistic, IMHO but as someone who has traveled a lot throughout the years - and mostly in PA - it's more right than wrong. The "Alabamans" - as it were - generally are agrarian or have agrarian types of jobs, follow professional wrestling, vote almost exclusively Republican, owns lots and lots of guns and unfailingly cheer for Penn State. They are also very often openly racist. As such, their most hated person is without question Barack Obama and it is not even close. They HATE that dude with a passion reserved for very few people. In sports, it's probably Mark Emmert but it may be Louis Freeh.

In Philadelphia, which is a pro sports town if there ever was one, I would think that the most hated person would be Penguins C Sidney Crosby or Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Although the fans of that city have a limitless reservoir of hatred and there is plenty to go around. Still, they DESPISE Crosby so he would be my choice.

In Pittsburgh, where I live, it's probably Joe Paterno for most people with Ray Lewis up there as well. People really hated those guys. Todd Graham probably shouldn't book a return trip to the Burgh anytime soon and Rich Rodriguez - or "DickRod" as he was known when he coached WVU - was also extremely disliked. That Arizona/ASU game is pretty odd to watch as both coaches are seen as unscrupulous slimeballs.

Pittsburghers also hate Ed Snider, the owner of the Philadelphia Flyers for promoting what they consider to be a thuggish game. The Pens/Flyers is probably the NHL's most heated rivalry.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 09:06 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
08-14-2013 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.