Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2013 Cross Country Schedule
Bookmark and Share
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo
2013 Cross Country Schedule
Women's Cross Country - 2013 Schedule and Results Season 2013-142012-132011-122010-112009-102008-092007-082006-072005-062004-05 Print More Sharing Services
Export schedules to Outlook / iCal

Schedule

Date Opponent Location Time (ET) Results Media
Fri, Aug 30 EMU Triangular Brighton, MI TBA

Fri, Sep 13 Mel Brodt Collegiate Meet Bowling Green, OH TBA

Sat, Oct 05 Paul Short Run Bethlehem, PA TBA

Sat, Oct 19 NCAA Pre-Nationals Terre Haute, IN TBA

Fri, Oct 25 EMU Classic Dexter, MI TBA

Sat, Nov 02 MAC Championships Bowling Green, OH TBA

Fri, Nov 15 NCAA Regional Championship Madison, WI TBA

Sat, Nov 23 NCAA National Championship Terre Haute, IN TBA

Sorry to see this happen to a Nationally ranked Div. 1 team. with 12 girls running in the 17s'. Cancelling the Bubble Buster also.A giant step backwards for Toledo Cross Country. No A team or B team schedule.This looks like BGs' schedule. Looks like Toledo Cross Country has become a Non-Non...Revenue sport.I know Linh is No Hadsell but come on people,03-puke seriously!!
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 12:34 PM by BigMac.)
08-08-2013 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: 2013 Cross Country Schedule
Maybe this season is a wash because of the coach change over? Right when we should have been scheduling for the following season we were dealing with a self absorbed, student chasing maniac. Maybe the scheduling window passed while we were hiring? It may take Lin a while to build up the contacts? I know in the non-revenues the coaches and their networking have a lot to do with getting us gigs. I'm sure it took many years and a lot of networking to get us that regional NCAA meet at Ottawa park a few years ago.

It does seem like a fairly pedestrian regional meet schedule, but I'm not that in tune with the what races we should be participating in as a current or formerly ranked CC team.
08-08-2013 09:03 AM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

....simple ....schedule the same meats as the previous year...not "Rocket ", science. No cut off... season hasn't started yet. Teams can register up until about a week at most schools.This is painful to see... especially for junior and senior girls wanting a big finish to their running careers.
08-08-2013 09:12 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Gotcha, didn't know you didn't have to be invited and that you can just sign up. Must be way different than revenue sports where we're working on schedules years in advance. Can anyone just "sign-up" for the Penn Relays....ha!
08-08-2013 09:33 AM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-08-2013 09:33 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Gotcha, didn't know you didn't have to be invited and that you can just sign up. Must be way different than revenue sports where we're working on schedules years in advance. Can anyone just "sign-up" for the Penn Relays....ha!

Obviously NOT but there are races at other colleges etc. You are invited to the big meets ..based on qualifying times,which we do have in our top runners.

................and I wouldn't call this schedule,"Pedestrian". I would say it is a "Club Sport",schedule.I hope he adds a few more National Meets to bring it up to Toledo Cross Country standard.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 09:58 AM by BigMac.)
08-08-2013 09:48 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Is there a chance meets get added to our schedule pending results? Or once the schedule is set, it's set based on your finish last year?

I can't imagine getting top invites on last year's results when you possibly graduated all of your top runners. Do Invites come mid seaon, based on rankings?
08-08-2013 10:39 AM
Advertisement

BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-08-2013 10:39 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Is there a chance meets get added to our schedule pending results? Or once the schedule is set, it's set based on your finish last year?

I can't imagine getting top invites on last year's results when you possibly graduated all of your top runners. Do Invites come mid seaon, based on rankings?

Emanoh please don't take this the wrong way...but you obviously haven't been following Toledo Cross Country.We have and I am repeating myself here 12 girls running in the 17s'.We should have a schedule compareable at least to last year. Linh has been given a GIFT here with this team without having to lift a finger. So far he has eliminated all but a Club Sport schedule and he has stopped the team from cross training as part of their fitness. I am not optimistic for the future at this point although I am told he wants the team to do more social work in the community.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 12:33 PM by BigMac.)
08-08-2013 11:11 AM
utxctrack Offline
2nd String

Maniac? Please. Spare us the drama.
08-08-2013 11:38 AM
utxctrack Offline
2nd String

This is a terrible schedule. And Hadsell, despite what was true or untrue was a great coach and handed the new guy a team that should finish in the top-15 at the NCAAs. Don't believe all the hype. Hadsell was not what the press made him out to be. If you don't know the guy at all, spare us your school girl bs.
08-08-2013 11:40 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2013 11:11 AM)BigMac Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 10:39 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Is there a chance meets get added to our schedule pending results? Or once the schedule is set, it's set based on your finish last year?

Emanoh please don't take this the wrong way...but you obviously haven't been following Toledo Cross Country.We have and I am repeating myself here 12 girls running in the 17s'.We should have a schedule compareable at least to last year. Linh has been given a GIFT here with this team without having to lift a finger. So far he has eliminated all but a Club Sport schedule and he has stopped the team from cross training as part of their fitness. I am not optimistic for the future at this point although I am told he wants the team to do more social work in the community.

I thought he was essentially recommended by the last coach?
08-08-2013 01:18 PM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-08-2013 01:18 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

He has done a 360. What he said he was going to do and what he is doing now that he has the job.I guess it really doesn't matter.The schedule says it all...Milk Toast.(the meets to clarify ...not Linh )
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 02:09 PM by BigMac.)
08-08-2013 01:38 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2013 01:38 PM)BigMac Wrote:  

He has done a 360. What he said he was going to do and what he is doing now that he has the job.I guess it really doesn't matter.The schedule says it all...Milk Toast.(the meets to clarify ...not Linh )
180 03-wink
08-08-2013 02:37 PM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-08-2013 02:37 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 01:38 PM)BigMac Wrote:  

180 03-wink

...haha ...yes 180 ..thank you
08-08-2013 02:43 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Hey slow your roll Big Mac, just asking questions. Obviously you're much closer to the team and what is going on behind the scenes. I don't think many on the board know the inner workings of a top level cross country team and how a schedule is put together.

It does sound like he inherited a top level squad and if he's altering the training or backing off on top level meets, then there has to be an explanation. You still didn't answer my question if meets can get added "in season" based on times or team results? Or is the schedule set in stone?
08-08-2013 10:50 PM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-08-2013 10:50 PM)emanoh Wrote:  Hey slow your roll Big Mac, just asking questions. Obviously you're much closer to the team and what is going on behind the scenes. I don't think many on the board know the inner workings of a top level cross country team and how a schedule is put together.

It does sound like he inherited a top level squad and if he's altering the training or backing off on top level meets, then there has to be an explanation. You still didn't answer my question if meets can get added "in season" based on times or team results? Or is the schedule set in stone?

Pretty much the schedule is it once its out. A National meet might be deleated if runners are suffering from injuries (speaking on past years) No I think this schedule is pretty much it.If anything else was going to be added it would have been on there before it was posted. He also is bringing in his asst. from UNCG Michelle Chewens as his asst. Aris' old position.UNCG has posted asst. job opening on the NCAA job posting sight.The general consensus is that he is only entering Mac meets.A giant step backwards for the program. As far as him backing off training ,he is the Coach and it is his program.He doesn't feel it's necessary.He is No Hadsell or Ari who both felt it was a major part of why Toledo distance was so good.So we shall see. Unless he has some injuries,the Mac Championship should be a gimmee. The team is ready to roll. We will see what happens the next few years.
08-09-2013 06:22 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Disappointing for sure-the larger problem I see with this sort of schedule is that Toledo will no longer be the go-to school for promising distance runners. Much harder to recruit HS runners with promises of tri-meets at EMU than with a Bubble Buster home meet that includes national powers. I'm willing to give the guy a chance but I'll be very interested in his recruiting success. Will he be the next Matt Campbell or the next Gene Cross?
08-09-2013 08:00 AM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
From what the track gurus on the board are saying, it appears that the new coach has decided to perform on a much small stage than Hadsell preferred, which, if true, will likely negatively impact future recruiting of high level talent (that usually seeks the largest stage possible) and with it, the high level of recognition that the program has achieved over the past years.

Although it is still perhaps too early to tell, at first glance this appears to be a big step backwards for the program. I am disappointed but not not surprised because it seems that highly successful non-revenue programs, particularly at schools with limited athletic budgets, are almost always solely dependent on an exceptional head coach and once that coach leaves, more often than not these programs slide into mediocrity. At UT you need only look to what happened to women's softball after the successful head coach left for the University of Virginia in the mid-late 1990s or what happened to men's golf after the highly successful head coach left for Notre Dame in the early-mid 2000s.

There is no doubt that Hadsell's behavior was such that he had to go, but that does not alter the fact that he was a coach who achieved remarkable results and his loss has to be a major blow to the program.
08-09-2013 08:15 AM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-09-2013 08:15 AM)T-Town Wrote:  From what the track gurus on the board are saying, it appears that the new coach has decided to perform on a much small stage than Hadsell preferred, which, if true, will likely negatively impact future recruiting of high level talent (that usually seeks the largest stage possible) and with it, the high level of recognition that the program has achieved over the past years.

Although it is still perhaps too early to tell, at first glance this appears to be a big step backwards for the program. I am disappointed but not not surprised because it seems that highly successful non-revenue programs, particularly at schools with limited athletic budgets, are almost always solely dependent on an exceptional head coach and once that coach leaves, more often than not these programs slide into mediocrity. At UT you need only look to what happened to women's softball after the successful head coach left for the University of Virginia in the mid-late 1990s or what happened to men's golf after the highly successful head coach left for Notre Dame in the early-mid 2000s.

There is no doubt that Hadsell's behavior was such that he had to go, but that does not alter the fact that he was a coach who achieved remarkable results and his loss has to be a major blow to the program.

Agreed! Everything that made Hadsell such a big personality was ultimately his undoing. His biggest mistake was that he put himself of the same level as the kids he coached and we all know there has to be a fine line between Coach and athlete that you just don't cross. He was a great Coach and friend to all who had the opportunity to run for him. He took Toledo to a higher level not achieved by any other Mac Cross Country team. He made mistakes and lost his position because of that. The 5 years my girls had the opportunity to run for Toledo were the best..."Dynasty".As H20 said," Dudes gone ,move on".Good luck to Coach Linh ..he'll need it...Big shoes to fill under any circumstance.
08-09-2013 08:47 AM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
I got lost trying to read the conversation, but that can't be the entire schedule?????? Is the UT Women's program still a top 15 team??? or is it getting dismantled???? (sorry I don't know enough about CC to understand everything, even though my sister ran in high school)
08-09-2013 09:17 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-09-2013 09:17 AM)Terry Wrote:  I got lost trying to read the conversation, but that can't be the entire schedule?????? Is the UT Women's program still a top 15 team??? or is it getting dismantled???? (sorry I don't know enough about CC to understand everything, even though my sister ran in high school)

Problem is this schedule won't tell us if we're Top Fifteen or not. We won't see great competition except for possibly the NCAA Regional meet thing. Hard to know where you stand unless you run against the best. Typically our backender freshmen and soph run against BG's best in the BG meet and take the top seven places. Can't even imagine the varsity running against that team-they could run backwards and win. That doesn't help them on a national level and it doesn't help recruiting. As Mac said, we should win the OTHER MAC easily but I expect recruiting to really slide if this is going to be the standard. Women's x-country is where hoops and football will never be and I hate to see us come down from that lofty perch.
08-09-2013 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.