Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
olympic boycott
Whose boycotting, and why?
08-07-2013 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
RE: olympic boycott
I think we should boycott over abuse of gays in Russia and the threats of arresting athletes for being gay.
08-07-2013 08:09 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
No!
08-07-2013 08:19 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Threat of arresting athletes for being gay...so basically no figure skating this year?
08-07-2013 08:29 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
What would Brian Boitano do?

Gay, fabulous ice skater person Johnny Weir says don't boycott:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/gay-...d=19848207
08-07-2013 08:37 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Been there done that, under Carter. No! It proves nothing, aids nothing, and punishes the athletes many of whom will be past their prime when another 4 years rolls around. And as it did under Carter the Soviets (then, Russians today) will return the favor 4 years later making a true Olympics impossible for 12 years. When the Greeks started the games they had a cessation of hostilities in order to carry them out. In the modern era we of course have not. What a shame. A truce in any war is a great blessing for the troops.

And something else we need to remember is that most of the world couldn't care less what Americans hold as their standards. If the ban is over gay rights in Russia should we ever permit Muslim nations to attend? I'm not sure China smiles on this issue either. Should American athletes from fundamentalist backgrounds be banned as well? The whole suggestion is ridiculous. We can't and shouldn't control other cultures. Let's deal with our own problems with this before we try to model behavior for everyone else.
08-07-2013 08:44 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
The time to have boycotted Russia should have been before they were awarded these Olympics.

The more we throw a fit about what they are doing the more it feeds into Putin's plan to paint us as controlling. It is a tough call for sure.
08-07-2013 08:54 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(08-07-2013 08:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Been there done that, under Carter. No! It proves nothing, aids nothing, and punishes the athletes many of whom will be past their prime when another 4 years rolls around. And as it did under Carter the Soviets (then, Russians today) will return the favor 4 years later making a true Olympics impossible for 12 years. When the Greeks started the games they had a cessation of hostilities in order to carry them out. In the modern era we of course have not. What a shame. A truce in any war is a great blessing for the troops.

And something else we need to remember is that most of the world couldn't care less what Americans hold as their standards. If the ban is over gay rights in Russia should we ever permit Muslim nations to attend? I'm not sure China smiles on this issue either. Should American athletes from fundamentalist backgrounds be banned as well? The whole suggestion is ridiculous. We can't and shouldn't control other cultures. Let's deal with our own problems with this before we try to model behavior for everyone else.

i think the point over the muslim homophobia vs russia is that they dont get to host olympics whereas russia does.

and we are not the only ones who bring politics into the olympics. do you really think its fair for Israel to be barred from african and asian brackets because islamic athletes refuse to play them?
08-07-2013 08:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-07-2013 08:59 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 08:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Been there done that, under Carter. No! It proves nothing, aids nothing, and punishes the athletes many of whom will be past their prime when another 4 years rolls around. And as it did under Carter the Soviets (then, Russians today) will return the favor 4 years later making a true Olympics impossible for 12 years. When the Greeks started the games they had a cessation of hostilities in order to carry them out. In the modern era we of course have not. What a shame. A truce in any war is a great blessing for the troops.

i think the point over the muslim homophobia vs russia is that they dont get to host olympics whereas russia does.

and we are not the only ones who bring politics into the olympics. do you really think its fair for Israel to be barred from african and asian brackets because islamic athletes refuse to play them?

It's time we just took care of our business and quit trying to solve all the worlds problems. What others choose to do about slights and refusals to compete against issues, is their business. As for as what others do politically with regards to the games really boils down to whether two wrongs make a right. Israel still attends, and still competes in the games, in spite of what happened in Munich. The IOC is not nearly as bad as the UN (except for boxing) but they are getting danged close to being as inept in the boxing venue as they are at the UN. And the IOC has made strides since the days of East German Women swimmers who were actually sex changed men on steroids. So, let em play.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 09:13 PM by JRsec.)
08-07-2013 09:10 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
(08-07-2013 08:29 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Threat of arresting athletes for being gay...so basically no figure skating this year?

It is actually for allowing mobs of citizens and police to beat homosexuals in the streets. They are also allowing gangs of young people to lure in, kidnap, torture, and kill homosexuals while broadcasting it all on the internet.

The part about arresting openly gay athletes and tourists is very low on the list of reasons to boycott.
08-07-2013 09:25 PM
Advertisement

Journeyman22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: South Alabama
olympic boycott
No, the 1980 boycott was a huge mistake. The 1984 Eastern bloc boycott was an idiotic response to 1980. I understand the issues, but don't punish the athletes. For most, this is once in a lifetime and the Olympics are supposed to be above politics.

Punish Russia in other ways. Fans can skip Sochi, but athletes deserve to compete.
08-07-2013 10:04 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(08-07-2013 08:29 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Threat of arresting athletes for being gay...so basically no figure skating this year?

03-lmfao
08-07-2013 10:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-07-2013 10:04 PM)Journeyman22 Wrote:  No, the 1980 boycott was a huge mistake. The 1984 Eastern bloc boycott was an idiotic response to 1980. I understand the issues, but don't punish the athletes. For most, this is once in a lifetime and the Olympics are supposed to be above politics.

Punish Russia in other ways. Fans can skip Sochi, but athletes deserve to compete.

Agree with this whole-heartedly. Keep politics out.
08-08-2013 12:00 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
100% boycott Russia- their stance is inexcusable. For the benefit of the athletes, set up an alternate Olympics event. Winter Olympics aren't as big of productions as the summer games, so several of the recent host cities should still have the infrastructure to swing a winter games on short notice. I think Vancouver has already been floated and would be more than capable of pulling it off. Seeing as our AD appears to be stalling for a repeat Olympic bid to fund stadium expansion, I'd love it if they considered SLC again.
08-08-2013 12:36 AM
TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
Does anyone even remember why we boycotted the 1980 games? And if you do remember why we boycotted, do you not think it was kind of ironic considering what happened 20 years later?
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 12:54 AM by TomThumb.)
08-08-2013 12:45 AM
Advertisement

lofi Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
I've been boycotting the Olympics my entire life.
It is nothing but a complete corporate snoozefest.
08-08-2013 05:14 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Boycott for Russian treatment of gays? Sure.

Then we can boycott games in Japan and Norway for their continued whaling.

And we can boycott games China for the murder of female babies.

And the world can boycott games in the U.S. for our use of fossil fuels.
08-08-2013 06:05 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-07-2013 08:09 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  I think we should boycott over abuse of gays in Russia and the threats of arresting athletes for being gay.

Stupid idea.
08-08-2013 06:15 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I haven't watched the Olympics since 1972. I would not care if the Olympic Games were extinct.
08-08-2013 06:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.