Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fall Football Practice
Bookmark and Share
Purple Reign Offline
2nd String

I Root For: James Madison
Fall Football Practice
Tuesday`s practice was good. Lafonte and DA (Daniel Brown) looked healthy. The time that I was able spend at practice, Lafonte and Alex Girvan were getting the QB reps.Todays practice had Lafonte , O`Connor, Girvan and my best guess would be Rex Harrison. Harrison is not on the roster. I like O`Connor . He does not have an arm like MB, but he throws a nice ball.Cheatham caught td pass from Lafonte.It was a really well thrown pass. FR running backs Abdullah Kalid and Cardon Johnson are on the field a lot. Kwe`shon Williams and Taylor Reynolds were the first team at the CB positions.Along with Rhakeem Stallings at outside LB. Abdul Bangura had an interception and a big hit on Quintin Hunter. And now the bad news. DA pulled a hamstring. I talked to him and he said his knee is fine , but he was really frustrated to work so hard to get back and then pull a hamstring. At the end of practice the players go to their positions for some drills. Lafonte was running a sprint and started to limp. He stopped the drills and received attention from a trainer.
08-07-2013 07:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Fall Football Practice
Awesome. Actual football to discuss. Did you notice if the offense was favoring any particular sort of formation? I'm interested to know if things look much different under O'Cain
08-07-2013 08:52 PM
Purple Reign Offline
2nd String

Some formations used in Thursday`s practice. 1. Two TE , WR on right side and left side , tail back. 2. Two WR on each side , tail back. 3. Five WR , empty backfield. 4. Two TE , WR , FB and TB ( I Formation )
5 Two TE , WR, H Back, TB
6. TE left , Three WR on right , TB. Lafonte did practice today. Taylor Reynolds had two interceptions. Deane Cheatham made a great catch in tight coverage. Offense needs to pick up the blitz much better.
08-08-2013 08:54 PM
Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

Thanks! You mentioned that they were in the I-formation, so it sounds like they were not in the shotgun for some of the time. That itself is a big difference.

This is great stuff.
08-08-2013 09:05 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

The Football roster has been updated with heights and weights.

http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbm...PSID=71031
08-08-2013 09:16 PM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
(08-08-2013 08:54 PM)Purple Reign Wrote:  Some formations used in Thursday`s practice. 3. Five WR , empty backfield.

Curious - was this just a gimmick with a WR sweeping around for the handoff/fake handoff or were they really running straight pass plays out of this set? If it's the latter, count me as excited.
08-08-2013 09:27 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Thank you purple people w/ the updates
08-08-2013 09:59 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2013 09:16 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:   The Football roster has been updated with heights and weights.

It looks to me that some of the positions have been updated and the new players added. Unless there has been no change in the offensive & defensive lines, they have not been updated in terms of weight.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 10:05 PM by olddawg.)
08-08-2013 10:04 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Fall Football Practice
(08-08-2013 08:54 PM)Purple Reign Wrote:  Some formations used in Thursday`s practice. 1. Two TE , WR on right side and left side , tail back. 2. Two WR on each side , tail back. 3. Five WR , empty backfield. 4. Two TE , WR , FB and TB ( I Formation )
5 Two TE , WR, H Back, TB
6. TE left , Three WR on right , TB. Lafonte did practice today. Taylor Reynolds had two interceptions. Deane Cheatham made a great catch in tight coverage. Offense needs to pick up the blitz much better.

Holy crap, we're blitzing??? Finally!
08-08-2013 11:03 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2013 07:43 PM)Purple Reign Wrote:  Tuesday`s practice was good. Lafonte and DA (Daniel Brown) looked healthy. The time that I was able spend at practice, Lafonte and Alex Girvan were getting the QB reps.Todays practice had Lafonte , O`Connor, Girvan and my best guess would be Rex Harrison. Harrison is not on the roster. I like O`Connor . He does not have an arm like MB, but he throws a nice ball.Cheatham caught td pass from Lafonte.It was a really well thrown pass. FR running backs Abdullah Kalid and Cardon Johnson are on the field a lot. Kwe`shon Williams and Taylor Reynolds were the first team at the CB positions.Along with Rhakeem Stallings at outside LB. Abdul Bangura had an interception and a big hit on Quintin Hunter. And now the bad news. DA pulled a hamstring. I talked to him and he said his knee is fine , but he was really frustrated to work so hard to get back and then pull a hamstring. At the end of practice the players go to their positions for some drills. Lafonte was running a sprint and started to limp. He stopped the drills and received attention from a trainer.

Daniel Allen? Only DA I see on the roster...
08-08-2013 11:56 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2013 10:04 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 09:16 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:   The Football roster has been updated with heights and weights.

It looks to me that some of the positions have been updated and the new players added. Unless there has been no change in the offensive & defensive lines, they have not been updated in terms of weight.

Well, of the top 8 of so OL and 6 or so DL returning the only one I see as listed as having put on any weight in Fucci, from 280 to 290. Everyone else is the same.....

Another thing, Snow hasn't been a LB I believe for 4 years since he was a true Fr. Yet he is still listed as a 6'3"/270 lb LB....

Whoever is in charge of the roster doesn't seem to do a very good job....
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 12:03 AM by BDKJMU.)
08-09-2013 12:02 AM
Advertisement

Purple Reign Offline
2nd String

(08-08-2013 11:56 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 07:43 PM)Purple Reign Wrote:  Tuesday`s practice was good. Lafonte and DA (Daniel Brown) looked healthy. The time that I was able spend at practice, Lafonte and Alex Girvan were getting the QB reps.Todays practice had Lafonte , O`Connor, Girvan and my best guess would be Rex Harrison. Harrison is not on the roster. I like O`Connor . He does not have an arm like MB, but he throws a nice ball.Cheatham caught td pass from Lafonte.It was a really well thrown pass. FR running backs Abdullah Kalid and Cardon Johnson are on the field a lot. Kwe`shon Williams and Taylor Reynolds were the first team at the CB positions.Along with Rhakeem Stallings at outside LB. Abdul Bangura had an interception and a big hit on Quintin Hunter. And now the bad news. DA pulled a hamstring. I talked to him and he said his knee is fine , but he was really frustrated to work so hard to get back and then pull a hamstring. At the end of practice the players go to their positions for some drills. Lafonte was running a sprint and started to limp. He stopped the drills and received attention from a trainer.

Daniel Allen? Only DA I see on the roster...
They call Daniel Brown ..... DA
08-09-2013 03:54 AM
Purple Reign Offline
2nd String

(08-08-2013 09:27 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  [quote='Purple Reign' pid='9575026' dateline='1376013266']
Some formations used in Thursday`s practice. 3. Five WR , empty backfield.

Curious - was this just a gimmick with a WR sweeping around for the handoff/fake handoff or were they really running straight pass plays out of this set? If it's the latter, count me as excited.
[/quot

Sometimes all five in pass route . That is when the offense had trouble with the blitz. Sacks (coach blows the whistle) , batted down pass or have to throw the ball away quickly.They also ran motion or a reverse.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 04:04 AM by Purple Reign.)
08-09-2013 04:02 AM
Purple Reign Offline
2nd String

(08-09-2013 04:02 AM)Purple Reign Wrote:  [quote='bjk3047' pid='9575104' dateline='1376015223']
[quote='Purple Reign' pid='9575026' dateline='1376013266']
Some formations used in Thursday`s practice. 3. Five WR , empty backfield.

[/quot
Sometimes all five in pass route . That is when the offense had trouble with the blitz. Sacks (coach blows the whistle) , batted down pass or have to throw the ball away quickly.They also ran motion or a reverse.
08-09-2013 04:09 AM
Onyxduke7 Offline
Water Engineer

(08-08-2013 09:27 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 08:54 PM)Purple Reign Wrote:  Some formations used in Thursday`s practice. 3. Five WR , empty backfield.

5 WR sets... Never thought I would ever hear of a MM team doing that one. 2 interceptions by Reynolds, I have been as high on him as anyone. I thought he did a fantastic job during the spring game especially considering how new he is at the position. Glad to hear things are going well for him.
08-09-2013 06:48 AM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Fall Football Practice
Sounds like the return of the bubble screen.....
08-09-2013 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

For those who missed it, JMU Media Day just concluded on Madizone with Dudley interviewing MM.

Biggest news, Birdsong was already back at practice (on the sideline) but is riding a bike. MM also thinks Birdsong will get 10 days-2 weeks of practice in before first game.
08-09-2013 01:52 PM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

(08-09-2013 01:01 PM)brizzock Wrote:  Sounds like the return of the bubble screen.....

There is nothing wrong with the bubble screen. It is an effective play. Even when it does not work, it forces the DB's to stay closer to the LOS. Running the damn thing every time you are in that formation, yeah, that is a big problem. Hopefully it is used properly this year.
08-09-2013 02:20 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Fall Football Practice
Agree, but I just have flashbacks to macey Brooks, and the bubble screen being run 10 times a game.
08-09-2013 02:23 PM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

(08-09-2013 02:23 PM)brizzock Wrote:  Agree, but I just have flashbacks to macey Brooks, and the bubble screen being run 10 times a game.

Oh hell yes. I still have flashbacks to Spurrier calling that to Santana Moss about 17 times a game. Gibbs2.0 ran it a ton too. The worst part is, it will work one time out of pure luck and then they figure that is a license to run it WAY too much for another 10 weeks.
08-09-2013 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.