UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did anyone hear...
LPDragon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
Did anyone hear...
...that A-Rod got suspended?????

...that Johnny Manziel did something else stupid?????

03-zzz

Carry on.
08-05-2013 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Did anyone hear...
As I understand the Manziel thing, the story is that he has received money from fans for signing his autograph. The amount in controversy is about $5,000 and if he is found to have done it, he may be suspended several games to loss of scholarship as a "pro" and give the money back. Apparently, one or more of his "friends" got upset that some of his past autographs were appearing on E-Bay and charged for them at an event of some sort and he went along with it. The school, the NCAA and the coaches are all looking into it.

I have heard that paying the money back is not a problem as his family is well off, but if the facts of the case are as told on TV, he may not play (at least) for several early games.

And A-Rod is suspended for the rest of this season and all next season, but can play during an appeal so how many of this year's games he will miss are said to be questionable.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 09:31 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
08-05-2013 09:28 PM
Blaze4Pres Offline
Campaign Advisor

That the bird is the word?
08-05-2013 10:23 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(08-05-2013 09:28 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  As I understand the Manziel thing, the story is that he has received money from fans for signing his autograph. The amount in controversy is about $5,000 and if he is found to have done it, he may be suspended several games to loss of scholarship as a "pro" and give the money back. Apparently, one or more of his "friends" got upset that some of his past autographs were appearing on E-Bay and charged for them at an event of some sort and he went along with it. The school, the NCAA and the coaches are all looking into it.

I have heard that paying the money back is not a problem as his family is well off, but if the facts of the case are as told on TV, he may not play (at least) for several early games.

And A-Rod is suspended for the rest of this season and all next season, but can play during an appeal so how many of this year's games he will miss are said to be questionable.

Actually, Manziel reportedly took a 5-figure payment from an autograph broker.

As I understand it, A-Dope's ban is for 211 games, which would've lasted until the end of next season had he not appealed. With his appeal resulting in games played this season, the 211 games will extend into the 2015 season, unless the arbitrator alters it.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 07:44 AM by BlazerFromMD.)
08-06-2013 07:44 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I convinced Manziel is trying to get ineligible. He is being extremely careless or he is purposely challenging the NCAA to do something. This coupled with the Ed OBannon is about to bring about some big changes to the definition of an amateur athlete.

Too much money can be made off of Manziel, so I doubt the NCAA will do anything. I heard on the radio that ESPN will have around 900 staff members involved in the Alabama texas A&M game. However if he is ineligible, those plans are blown up. I guessing he won't be ineligible.

And it wasn't $5000. It was five figures.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 08:50 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
08-06-2013 08:43 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Common denominator: million dollar body, ten cent head.
08-06-2013 09:34 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(08-05-2013 10:23 PM)Blaze4Pres Wrote:  That the bird is the word?

It was my understanding that everyone had heard. 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
08-06-2013 12:56 PM
Advertisement

LPDragon Offline
Special Teams

(08-06-2013 12:56 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

Likewise, I assumed that everyone had heard about A-Rod and Johnny Football, to the point that people were tired of talking about it. Hence, my intended sarcastic post. And yet, several folks were still weighing in about it here.

I apologize for bringing it up.
08-06-2013 03:07 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(08-06-2013 03:07 PM)LPDragon Wrote:  

Likewise, I assumed that everyone had heard about A-Rod and Johnny Football, to the point that people were tired of talking about it. Hence, my intended sarcastic post. And yet, several folks were still weighing in about it here.

We are referencing somethinge else. Sorry about that.

08-06-2013 04:15 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award

Heard what?
08-06-2013 04:20 PM
Advertisement

Blaze4Pres Offline
Campaign Advisor

Don't you know about the bird? Everybody knows that the bird is the word!
08-06-2013 05:55 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award

Questions remaining unanswered -
If videos were made of the various signing sessions, why no videos (or any other proof) of alleged payments being made?

Why these autograph "brokers" will talk about paying Manziel so freely but refuse to offer proof of payment allegations to ESPN, Texas A&M or to the NCAA?

Has no one considered that someone with "deep pockets" may have convinced these brokers to talk "off the record" only in an effort to affect the QB's chances to play mentally unencumbered or at all this season (there are probably at least 12 schools that might profit for that outcome)?

Piling onto this player because some guys "said so" is not supposed to be the "American way".
08-08-2013 12:45 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-08-2013 12:45 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

If videos were made of the various signing sessions, why no videos (or any other proof) of alleged payments being made?

Why these autograph "brokers" will talk about paying Manziel so freely but refuse to offer proof of payment allegations to ESPN, Texas A&M or to the NCAA?

Has no one considered that someone with "deep pockets" may have convinced these brokers to talk "off the record" only in an effort to affect the QB's chances to play mentally unencumbered or at all this season (there are probably at least 12 schools that might profit for that outcome)?

Piling onto this player because some guys "said so" is not supposed to be the "American way".

The pictures are made as verification that the autograph is real and not faked. Why would anyone take a picture of Manziel being paid.

There probably is no proof of payment to talk about. He was paid in cash. Why else would he be in a strangers hotel room signing 100s of autographs. That is not something he would do for free.

It's very much the American Way. But nothing will happen to him. The NCAA, ESPN and every one else stands to make too much money off him.

The next controversy will be people saying he wasn't punished because he is a rich white kid, while other African Americans have lost eligibility. That is the American Way too.
08-08-2013 05:50 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(08-08-2013 05:50 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 12:45 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

The pictures are made as verification that the autograph is real and not faked. Why would anyone take a picture of Manziel being paid.

I agree why the pictures were made, but why then talk about the money when you know you have no video of the cash transfer? I'm wondering if these "brokers" were making money from the upset to TX A&M's season paid by one or more of their adversaries.

There probably is no proof of payment to talk about. He was paid in cash. Why else would he be in a strangers hotel room signing 100s of autographs. That is not something he would do for free.

Manziel may have thought this is what famous people do. Just because some wouldn't do it for "free", doesn't prove he was actually paid. How many times have we been asked to sign our autograph for freeor for money?

It's very much the American Way. But nothing will happen to him. The NCAA, ESPN and every one else stands to make too much money off him.

None of these have the power to make these "Brokers" make their charges under oath or to even take a polygraph test. That lends some credence to the possibility that the real objective of this whole act is to influence TX A&M in the coming season rather than being "good citizens". At what point in this "accusation process" does the "Broker" open himself to libel or slander laws and in what state would he be tried? (Were any of the accusers in Texas?)

The next controversy will be people saying he wasn't punished because he is a rich white kid, while other African Americans have lost eligibility. That is the American Way too.

We will have to wait to see if that does happen. Cam Newton wasn't punished by the NCAA either.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 04:00 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
08-09-2013 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.