Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU at ECU line released
Bookmark and Share
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
ODU at ECU line released
Please feel free to move this if appropriate but I figured people would find this interesting.

ECU -12.5 according to 5dimes.com. http://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx#al_28

Disclaimer: They do have the date wrong.
08-03-2013 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: ODU at ECU line released
Take the Pirates and the points.

I'd love to be wrong, but my wallet says otherwise (for entertainment purposes only).
08-03-2013 11:50 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Doesn't Vegas want the public to take ECU by setting it so low and under 2 TD's?
08-03-2013 11:52 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
vegas wants both sides bet equally...if all the money goes to ecu now...the line will raise until comparable numbers come in on odu side...
08-03-2013 12:25 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I've not seen ODU play... ever. With that said, it would be absurd for me to state that this game will be this-or-that but I do FEEL as if this game will resemble last year's App State game.

Y'all will be better that that App team. However, we will be much better than we were last season.

I'll consider this game a success if we can hold your team to 20 points during any meaningful periods of play AND score 43 against your D.

I would take ECU and the points. ECU wins this one by at least three TDs.

Thanks God the game is at night!
08-03-2013 12:45 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I'd take ECU and the points. Have no confidence in ODU's defense to stop ECU's offense.
08-03-2013 12:55 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(08-03-2013 12:55 PM)Niner National Wrote:  I'd take ECU and the points. Have no confidence in ODU's defense to stop ECU's offense.

Neither do any honest ODU fans. With a new defensive coordinator and a ton of new players, the quality of the unit is a complete unknown.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 01:04 PM by Monarchist13.)
08-03-2013 01:03 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-03-2013 01:03 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 12:55 PM)Niner National Wrote:  I'd take ECU and the points. Have no confidence in ODU's defense to stop ECU's offense.

Neither do any honest ODU fans. With a new defensive coordinator and a ton of new players, the quality of the unit is a complete unknown.
Yeah, I mean I think your offense will do fine against ECU, but I just don't see a team that has had only one year to recruit FBS level players having the size and speed necessary to top an offense as good at what ECU should have.

Best of luck to ODU though. I'll be rooting for you.
08-03-2013 01:19 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

And our offense will likely be tired by the end of the game. I believe we will score a few times, but it may take long drawn out drives. Then our D will,take the field and ECU could score in 3 or 4 plays. Puts our O back on with no rest. A 12 point loss would nearly be a victory.
08-03-2013 01:19 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Damn. Pirates and points looks like a sure thing.
08-03-2013 01:22 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-03-2013 12:45 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  I've not seen ODU play... ever. With that said, it would be absurd for me to state that this game will be this-or-that but I do FEEL as if this game will resemble last year's App State game.

Y'all will be better that that App team. However, we will be much better than we were last season.

I'll consider this game a success if we can hold your team to 20 points during any meaningful periods of play AND score 43 against your D.

I would take ECU and the points. ECU wins this one by at least three TDs.

Thanks God the game is at night!

Well Ned, I have been to all but two of ODU's home games, and I have to admit that as much as I am a rabid ODU fan, and as good as I think they are on offense, I just do not know how the Monarchs will stack up against ECU. After watching two spring scrimmages and the spring game, I came away convinced that the defense is fairly impressively improved, but I have no way of gauging that against ECU.

I will say this. We ODU fans are looking forward to this game, can't wait to get to Greenville, from all indications will be there in force, and believe pretty strongly that ODU will make it much closer than a three TD loss -- and maybe -- just maybe -- there could be a stunning upset on the horizon.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 01:23 PM by ODU AGGIE.)
08-03-2013 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

First-week college lines always make me queasy because you have nothing but preseason talk, history and tradition to go off of. Particularly in a game like this where there's not a single common opponent in the recent past. But there's no way the line stays at -12. It's really hard to imagine a defense that gave up 61 in regulation to New Hampshire last season not struggling in their first look at an FBS offense. Even with a new coordinator and new faces on the field, I don't especially like their chances of holding them down for more than two series in a row.

Curious about the O/U. I could see the over being a value bet if the consensus is that ODU's offense isn't ready for FBS prime time, because I could see this being some sort of 69-46 type of game.
08-03-2013 01:27 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
In my former life when I gambled, this is what I termed as a "don't make sense" number.

Wouldn't touch it and is almost guaranteed to go to the 17'-20' range....would be shocked if it stays below 17. It is not unusual for lines to move drastically in the early going.

disclaimer...my opinion has only to do with perception of numbers relative to the teams involved....not how the teams will actually perform

edit: however, if you can make the bet now, it would provide a nice opportunity for a 'middle' bet down the road. It works like this....take ECU -12 and ODU +(future increased movement). 13, 14, 16, and 17 are good numbers to win it both ways. Basically, you lay 100.00 with the potential of winning 2K with a dime bet on each side....just sayin'
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 01:47 PM by stinkfist.)
08-03-2013 01:42 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2013 01:42 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  In my former life when I gambled, this is what I termed as a "don't make sense" number.

Wouldn't touch it and is almost guaranteed to go to the 17'-20' range....would be shocked if it stays below 17. It is not unusual for lines to move drastically in the early going.

disclaimer...my opinion has only to do with perception of numbers relative to the teams involved....not how the teams will actually perform

I've seen those nonsensical numbers before, presuming they would skyrocket to the level I would assume it belonged ... and then it wouldn't. Then the team I presumed would cover or beat said line with ease wouldn't. Games like that scare me off of gambling actual do-re-mi money, because clearly people are knowing stuff that I don't.

But I really can't imagine half of the gambling public thinking ODU can beat a -12 on the road in their first game against an FBS team.
08-03-2013 01:45 PM
stinkfist Online

(08-03-2013 01:45 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 01:42 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  In my former life when I gambled, this is what I termed as a "don't make sense" number.

I've seen those nonsensical numbers before, presuming they would skyrocket to the level I would assume it belonged ... and then it wouldn't. Then the team I presumed would cover or beat said line with ease wouldn't. Games like that scare me off of gambling actual do-re-mi money, because clearly people are knowing stuff that I don't.

But I really can't imagine half of the gambling public thinking ODU can beat a -12 on the road in their first game against an FBS team.

I concur...see my edit to previous post. I won two of these on super bowls alone (still love Dyson falling inches short of the goal line)....the only type of bet I make anymore. I'm a 'don't pass' player that bets the numbers and hopes the guy throws for 20 minutes w/o crapping out.

edit: definitely be leery of the line that doesn't move at the end of the year (to your point about presumption)
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 02:39 PM by stinkfist.)
08-03-2013 01:53 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2013 01:53 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

I concur...see my edit to previous post. I won two of these on super bowls alone (still love Dyson falling inches short of the goal line)....the only type of bet I make anymore. I'm a 'don't pass' player that bets the numbers and hopes the guy throws for 20 minutes w/o crapping out.

edit: definitely be leery of the line that doesn't move at the end of the year (to your point about presumption)

Definitely a smart way to play it if you're convinced it's going to be a 14-17 point game and the line hits 20 or something. On the other hand, I'm figuring it's either a four-TD or worse beating, or a surprisingly close game that maybe doesn't hit -12 after all. First games have the potential to be so goofy.
08-03-2013 03:32 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(08-03-2013 03:32 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 01:53 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Definitely a smart way to play it if you're convinced it's going to be a 14-17 point game and the line hits 20 or something. On the other hand, I'm figuring it's either a four-TD or worse beating, or a surprisingly close game that maybe doesn't hit -12 after all. First games have the potential to be so goofy.

You have to hit one out of twenty to basically break even. I like those odds. The key is to have two locals that move lines base on their players that will take dime plays. ...happens more than you think

These opportunities realistically only happen a handful of times a year. You also have to take the risk of finding one that takes Tuesday plays and not just on game day. Sometimes the line doesn't move and you have to eat the vig.

After 35 years of betting all types (parlay, teasers, straight, money lines), it is the only type of play I make today. I'm never confident about it hitting with regularity....just betting I can do it 1 out of 10 times which yields a net gain of 2.2K over a 20 game span...if 0-fer, then one would lose 2K over that time period. If one hits once, the yield is +100

...just think about how many times they come within a point or two of the spread....now think about having a couple of books that give you that option...fk the action....just play the odds...also found it works better in the NFL...the key is having multiple books that manipulate the number
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 03:57 PM by stinkfist.)
08-03-2013 03:57 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
[Image: DsGExDz.png]

FB team is full steam ahead with their sites on ODU.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 04:45 PM by PGPirate.)
08-03-2013 04:45 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-03-2013 04:45 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  [Image: DsGExDz.png]

FB team is full steam ahead with their sites on ODU.

I'm sorry but how is a coach's comments proof that they won't overlook ODU. It's coach speak, any other response would be wrong and he knows that. I'm sure Lloyd Carr and Frank Beamer said all the right things before Appy and JMU came to visit. I'm not saying ECU will overlook them, but a coach's words don't offer any indication one way or the other.

Also, sights.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 05:36 PM by Monarchist13.)
08-03-2013 05:34 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

My guess is the public pushes this above 17 and the sharps come back in and buy in last minute.
08-03-2013 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.