Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would you support a non BCS playoff?
Bookmark and Share
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Would you support a non BCS playoff?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...mains-same

Just like NBC partnering up with the AFL at the time, one administrator characterized a non-BCS playoff this way: "You only need one network to love you."

I can think of one at the moment -- Fox Sports 1 debuting this month -- that would be drooling all over itself at such a prospect.

Will it happen with the likes of Conference USA, the MAC, Sun Belt, American and the Mountain West?
08-03-2013 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Would you support a non BCS playoff?
It would only (kinda) work if all G5 conferences were a part of it. If The MWC and AAC are included with the P5 or simply think they're above it, it is a worthless idea.
08-03-2013 10:05 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
Not no, but HELL NO!

Would you be okay with earning minimum wage? Maybe sitting on the porch drinking Old English? Serfdom?

FK Dat!
08-03-2013 10:18 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
No....Been there, Done that, Won it twice.

You want a playoff run go to a IAA conference.
08-03-2013 10:19 AM
mwp1023 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
No thanks
08-03-2013 10:26 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Well, it may come to pass whether we like it or not.

How is it any different than what we have now. If we are lucky, our team has a dream season and gets into the BCS only to get trounced by a SEC team.

I would much rather see the mid majors through their own playoff than to see the SEC play against each other a few more times in January.
08-03-2013 10:54 AM
Advertisement

WinOrLoseEAGLE Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-03-2013 10:54 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Well, it may come to pass whether we like it or not.

How is it any different than what we have now. If we are lucky, our team has a dream season and gets into the BCS only to get trounced by a SEC team.

I would much rather see the mid majors through their own playoff than to see the SEC play against each other a few more times in January.

Ask Boise State, utah (pre cartel days) and tcu (pre cartel days) just how bad they got "trounced". I believe the non included schools are either 5-3 or 4-4 in the BCS bowls.
08-03-2013 11:02 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Utah beat the **** out of the Criminal Tide in the Sugar Bowl.
08-03-2013 11:08 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
How does it have nothing to do with this site. He basically just ask if we wanted to be IAA conference. So no thanks. Have already done that.

The guy has down he roots for the PAC 12. So its sarcastic and condescending as well.

Marshall should have up to 4 IAA championships. In 1991 and 1993 it was proven that Jim Tressel was paying QB Ray Isaac and LB Kevin Brown. You take those 2 out and YSU never even makes the playoffs.
08-03-2013 11:09 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The article also contains an interview with UTSA Head Coach Larry Coker.
08-03-2013 11:24 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Not a fan of the idea. And it's completely erroneous for the article to compare it to the NFL and AFL. The NFL and AFL eventually merged. I think it's very likely that if they did establish a separate playoff system for the smaller BCS programs, it's the first step toward creating a permanent rift. Now, that rift may happen regardless, but let's not encourage it...lol. I say leave it as it is now, with the 'best of the best' competing for national titles, and the also-rans playing each other in the rest of the bowl games.

All the crap that's going on right now with the NCAA changes is getting annoying anyway. It's about time we have at least a measure of consistency again for a while in everything that's going on, rather than changing it even more. Besides, with the 62 schools that comprise the "Big 5" vying for their tournament, who among the casual observers would really care about who's best from #63 on down? It would be viewed as nothing more than a tournament to see who can be called #63. And how lame would that be?

A separate tournament would do NOTHING for our image. At least if we keep the status quo, there'll be a select few competing for the national title, and the rest of the schools (whether Big 5 or otherwise) would still all be lumped into the rest of the bowl games. And yeah, I know the Big 5 will still get the bigger payouts in the bigger bowls, but I can almost guarantee you the perception would be different, and more beneficial to us that way, than to have separate tournaments.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 11:56 AM by Volkmar.)
08-03-2013 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(08-03-2013 10:54 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I. Well, it may come to pass whether we like it or not.

II. How is it any different than what we have now. If we are lucky, our team has a dream season and gets into the BCS only to get trounced by a SEC team.

III. I would much rather see the mid majors through their own playoff than to see the SEC play against each other a few more times in January.

I. So, that COGS getting shoved up your arse is okay???? No, it's not.

II. hmmm, no playoff to date, all on 'equal' footing with equal voting privelages, RECRUITING....wait, did I mention RECRUITING

III. Hey Watson, you forgot how to discover a clue. Only you have the ability to turn the channel (oops, push the button now). Jeepers, how the media coupled with the cash cow controls the mind of 'want'....am continually amazed.

...you asked would 'we' support it
08-03-2013 12:47 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(08-03-2013 10:54 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Well, it may come to pass whether we like it or not.

its called the FCS
08-03-2013 12:49 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
[Image: what-no-gif.gif]
08-03-2013 02:03 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Not now, but you can't rule it out for the future. Let's be honest, if the B5 are successful at breaking away and setting scheduling agreements that exclude G5 and FCS schools what would really be the next step for us?

Like it or not, making the playoffs and advancing through them is a heck of a lot of fun. The TV contract could be very lucrative, and given the hit many teams will take from not getting paid to play B5 schools anymore, the extra cash could be useful.
08-03-2013 02:21 PM
stinkfist Online

(08-03-2013 02:21 PM)banker Wrote:  Not now, but you can't rule it out for the future. Let's be honest, if the B5 are successful at breaking away and setting scheduling agreements that exclude G5 and FCS schools what would really be the next step for us?

Like it or not, making the playoffs and advancing through them is a heck of a lot of fun. The TV contract could be very lucrative, and given the hit many teams will take from not getting paid to play B5 schools anymore, the extra cash could be useful.

Yep, woman's basketball is fun to watch too....holy crap. Shirley, you have a JUCO squad you could support.

You really came with "very lucrative"???? LMFAO ....would love to see that source provide really, really, really, really, major dollars just for fill time....my neck is sore due to the weight of the "lunatics are in my head"
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 02:41 PM by stinkfist.)
08-03-2013 02:32 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-03-2013 02:32 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 02:21 PM)banker Wrote:  Not now, but you can't rule it out for the future. Let's be honest, if the B5 are successful at breaking away and setting scheduling agreements that exclude G5 and FCS schools what would really be the next step for us?

Yep, woman's basketball is fun to watch too....holy crap. Shirley, you have a JUCO squad you could support.

You really came with "very lucrative"???? LMFAO ....would love to see that source provide really, really, really, really, major dollars just for fill time....just hanging my head due to the weight of the "lunatics are in my head"

No lunatics in your head, you're right on target, as always. I suppose that there could be "worst case" scenario where we were forced to do something on "our own" but that seems to be a far cry from anything being proposed at this point. There would have to be a lot of hurdles and hoops jumped before we were completely locked out of any access and I can't see a political climate that would make that easy, especially since recent statements downplay those guys leaving the NCAA.

IMHO, having a playoff for non D4 programs merely gives them what they seek with us getting out of their way without a whimper.

...just one fan's opinion.
08-03-2013 02:43 PM
stinkfist Online

(08-03-2013 02:43 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 02:32 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

You really came with "very lucrative"???? LMFAO ....would love to see that source provide really, really, really, really, major dollars just for fill time....just hanging my head due to the weight of the "lunatics are in my head"

No lunatics in your head, you're right on target, as always. I suppose that there could be "worst case" scenario where we were forced to do something on "our own" but that seems to be a far cry from anything being proposed at this point. There would have to be a lot of hurdles and hoops jumped before we were completely locked out of any access and I can't see a political climate that would make that easy, especially since recent statements downplay those guys leaving the NCAA.

IMHO, having a playoff for non D4 programs merely gives them what they seek with us getting out of their way without a whimper.

...just one fan's opinion.

I don't think we are alone and this was obviously started as a troll thread. However, I think it is an important topic worthy of discussion.

It pains me that this is being discussed by the mediaturds.

The word that comes to mind is 'HOPE' when I look back on the history of our program and others like us.

This type of scenario destroys that. The recoil effect would be devastating to a large number of schools. The negative macro/socio/economic impact would be immeasurable.

If this actually came to fruition, we would be 44 point dogs instead of 16' when we play an SEC team....hell, we wouldn't be able to beat Indiana or Virginia or LSU or Auburn or Bama or TCU or Nebraska or.... (well, we just can't seem to beat Boise dangit)

....it all trickles downhill
08-03-2013 02:56 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
It would only strengthen the P5 argument to break away.

They could easily say "See NCAA, they (G5) are already on their own. So go ahead and grant us our own status, and everyone will be happy. All fixed.."
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 04:11 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
08-03-2013 03:11 PM
dragonzden Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
It's a FBS playoff for non-AQ schools. In the BCS only 2-4 out of 73 schools could play for a BCS title. It would be hard for the other schools to play a bowl game against the best non-AQ teams, if they are participating in non-AQ playoff for the FBS NCAA National Championship.
08-03-2013 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.