Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for ECU fans...
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
Question for ECU fans...
What were the terms of that last contract we signed for football? How many home and homes was it? Looks like we may be changing it to home and home and then a neutral site game in Charlotte. I'm personally ok with this as I enjoy playing you guys. Thoughts?

Holgs also takes some shots at you guys,Pitt and Marshall in this article.

Luck/Holgs on ECU and future schedules
08-02-2013 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Question for ECU fans...
(08-02-2013 09:26 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  What were the terms of that last contract we signed for football? How many home and homes was it? Looks like we may be changing it to home and home and then a neutral site game in Charlotte. I'm personally ok with this as I enjoy playing you guys. Thoughts?

Its a home and home for 6 years I believe. I don't really understand the shots he is taking. We will pay the money to help the players. We're not holding anyone back. Also, we are not Marshall and its unfair to compare us to them.
08-02-2013 09:52 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Holgy sounds like a complete ass in this article. Sounds to me like WVU has gotten pretty big-headed since their B12 invite. It's unfortunate as ECU and WVU have had a good relationship for years despite the uneven playing field. It's comments like this that have just about driven me to the point of not giving a damn anymore but I'm sure that's exactly what they want.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 10:28 AM by blunderbuss.)
08-02-2013 10:27 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The question I have is: how can a team that average 58k, rag on a team that averages 50k?
08-02-2013 10:36 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Hey Dana!

08-02-2013 10:39 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

The comments suck but yes six years home and home I believe. I wouldn't be opposed to a Charlotte game. We've proven we can easily handle Charlotte.
08-02-2013 10:40 AM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
Holgerson is a blowhard...make that a drunk blowhard...he has little to no credibility.

But getting back to the question...it was hinted originally by Terry Holland and Oliver Luck that this long term agreement was not set in stone and it was more of a guideline that would be tweaked. Obviously they didn't have an agreement to play in Charlotte because Charlotte would have to be involved at that point. Personally, I think DC may be the better option for a neutral site game, but that would have to be negotiated with them as well.

It would not surprise me if it was tweaked down to 3 games with the option for renewal of 3 more games....and the time period of the games extended...especially if the Big 12 is playing a 9 game conference slate.

Terry Holland was efficient in securing somewhat open ended contracts which appealed to both parties, because it allowed for games to be moved around. He did this with schools that like to play ECU for revenue purposes (ECU brings fans OOC) as well as recruiting purposes and regional location purposes. Its really a win-win for both sides and ECU can accommodate their fans with its stadium size....and is easy access off of I-95 to get them there.

What makes Holgerson more of a blowhard is that he is a coach, not an AD..and he doesn't ultimately make the scheduling decisions...and he is likely misinformed as to why ECU did not support the stipend (as didn't Wake Forest and others...). ECU did not support the stipend because of Title IX, it wasn't presented to help women athletes as well as men. I think ECU was dead on correct in that case.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 10:42 AM by HP-TBDPITL.)
08-02-2013 10:40 AM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

(08-02-2013 10:39 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Hey Dana!

Dana probably didn't even know who WVU was at that time.

I don't see why he was taking shots at ECU. Like you said WVU and ECU have had a great relationship for as long as I can remember. My guess is Dana has no idea about that relationship. I'm all for taking shots at Pitt and Marshall though 04-cheers
08-02-2013 10:43 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA

I wouldn't even go there. All time record has WVU winning something like 80% - 90% of the time. Besides, DH wasn't even at WVU then.
08-02-2013 10:43 AM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

(08-02-2013 10:40 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Holgerson is a blowhard...make that a drunk blowhard...he has little to no credibility.

But getting back to the question...it was hinted originally by Terry Holland and Oliver Luck that this long term agreement was not set in stone and it was more of a guideline that would be tweaked. Obviously they didn't have an agreement to play in Charlotte because Charlotte would have to be involved at that point. Personally, I think DC may be the better option for a neutral site game, but that would have to be negotiated with them as well.

[/b]It would not surprise me if it was tweaked down to 3 games with the option for renewal of 3 more games....and the time period of the games extended...especially if the Big 12 is playing a 9 game conference slate.[b]

Terry Holland was efficient in securing somewhat open ended contracts which appealed to both parties, because it allowed for games to be moved around. He did this with schools that like to play ECU for revenue purposes (ECU brings fans OOC) as well as recruiting purposes and regional location purposes. Its really a win-win for both sides and ECU can accommodate their fans with its stadium size....and is easy access off of I-95 to get them there.

What makes Holgerson more of a blowhard is that he is a coach, not an AD..and he doesn't ultimately make the scheduling decisions...and he is likely misinformed as to why ECU did not support the stipend (as didn't Wake Forest and others...). ECU did not support the stipend because of Title IX, it wasn't presented to help women athletes as well as men. I think ECU was dead on correct in that case.

This is my guess as well.

I think WVU would prefer Charlotte because of the amount of alums we have in the area and the fact that we have a lot of upcoming games in the DC/Baltimore area. Need to spread the neutral site games out a little
08-02-2013 10:48 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

Rutgers, Wake Forest and Marquette didn't support the stipend either, but funny how he left those schools out.
08-02-2013 11:43 AM
Advertisement

EerMeNow Offline
1st String

(08-02-2013 10:43 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

I wouldn't even go there. All time record has WVU winning something like 80% - 90% of the time. Besides, DH wasn't even at WVU then.

I think "most" WVU fans have a pretty healthy respect for the ECU football program.
08-02-2013 11:47 AM
lofi Offline
2nd String

(08-02-2013 11:47 AM)EerMeNow Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 10:43 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

I think "most" WVU fans have a pretty healthy respect for the ECU football program.
I agree.
I'm not too sure why Holgorsen is picking on ECU.
Charlotte is a great location to play them. Fans from both teams can get there in mass.
08-02-2013 12:16 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Quote:"But it's fair," Holgorsen said. "If you're not one of the big boys, don't hold the big boys back from being able to make their program better. Why should Marshall be fighting for the same prize as West Virginia? Let's be honest. Why should East Carolina be fighting for the same prize as North Carolina? That's absurd. That's more absurd than thinking Bowling Green is going to become the same as Youngstown State.

"But that's likely. If there's that much difference between the two, there needs to five divisions instead of four. Right now there are four - Division III, Division II, FCS and FBS. Why are there four? Because of the differences between the schools. Now the five major conferences have separated themselves to the point where they're different than the other ones."

Either he is simply talking smack or the P5 split from D1 is more exclusive than what Pete Thamel or Larry Scott have indicated.
08-02-2013 12:47 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(08-02-2013 12:47 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
Quote:"But it's fair," Holgorsen said. "If you're not one of the big boys, don't hold the big boys back from being able to make their program better. Why should Marshall be fighting for the same prize as West Virginia? Let's be honest. Why should East Carolina be fighting for the same prize as North Carolina? That's absurd. That's more absurd than thinking Bowling Green is going to become the same as Youngstown State.

"But that's likely. If there's that much difference between the two, there needs to five divisions instead of four. Right now there are four - Division III, Division II, FCS and FBS. Why are there four? Because of the differences between the schools. Now the five major conferences have separated themselves to the point where they're different than the other ones."
Either he is simply talking smack or the P5 split from D1 is more exclusive than what Pete Thamel or Larry Scott have indicated.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. By their very nature, exclusive clubs tend to become more and more exclusive as time goes by...
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 02:07 PM by bitcruncher.)
08-02-2013 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(08-02-2013 09:26 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  What were the terms of that last contract we signed for football? How many home and homes was it? Looks like we may be changing it to home and home and then a neutral site game in Charlotte. I'm personally ok with this as I enjoy playing you guys. Thoughts?

I don't know if we'd have more fans show up for a game at Heinz but since Pitt didn't come close to filling Heinz last season-highest attendance was just over 48K for the Virginia Tech game

Heinz seats 65K

One has to wonder how many of those 48K fans were Va Tech fans and how many were Pitt

the following game showed a drop off of 12K but the opponent in that game was a FCS school

the Louisville and Temple games both drew over 42K but once again, how many of those in attendance weren't Pitt fans

I think a Pitt-WVU game would be a sell-out or at least close. The 2010 Pitt WVU game, the last game played at Heinz, had the highest home attendance for Pitt that season. The only game that had more people was Pitt Notre Dame played in South Bend.

WVU has a good history with ECU but I think people rather see a NC State or a UNC on our schedule instead if we're looking at North Carolina schools. South Carolina or Clemson would be even better.
08-02-2013 03:08 PM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
Personally I think Holgerson was just trying to dig at Marshall and brought ECU along for the ride...he has a tendency to talk out of his @$$ sometimes...
08-02-2013 03:17 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2013 03:08 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  

... WVU has a good history with ECU but I think people rather see a NC State or a UNC on our schedule instead if we're looking at North Carolina schools. South Carolina or Clemson would be even better.

Yea, but you see the problem is that NC State and UNC fans see WVU the same way that WVU fans see ECU.

What is eventually going to happen is that all of these schools are going to get their wish. They are not going to have to play each other, which means that the fans of ECU will stop casually watching UNC and NC State games. That is going to be the death college sports; when casual fans stop watching and caring.
08-02-2013 04:00 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-02-2013 03:08 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  

I don't know if we'd have more fans show up for a game at Heinz but since Pitt didn't come close to filling Heinz last season-highest attendance was just over 48K for the Virginia Tech game

Heinz seats 65K

One has to wonder how many of those 48K fans were Va Tech fans and how many were Pitt

the following game showed a drop off of 12K but the opponent in that game was a FCS school

the Louisville and Temple games both drew over 42K but once again, how many of those in attendance weren't Pitt fans

I think a Pitt-WVU game would be a sell-out or at least close. The 2010 Pitt WVU game, the last game played at Heinz, had the highest home attendance for Pitt that season. The only game that had more people was Pitt Notre Dame played in South Bend.

WVU has a good history with ECU but I think people rather see a NC State or a UNC on our schedule instead if we're looking at North Carolina schools. South Carolina or Clemson would be even better.

Yeah, I've been at all of these games, and it was 10%, at most, Virginia Tech last year. WVU has never had more than 10K at Pitt (including for the incredible failure of their hilariously inept occupy Heinz campaign)...maybe 15K when Pitt was terrible in the mid-1990s, but people like to invent stuff in their minds. That's not saying they can't be loud...they excel at that no doubt, but there are usually more ND fans when they play at Heinz to be honest (and certainly PSU and OSU have brought more back in the mid-90s down years than WVU ever did). In any near capacity situation, probably about 10K people are just casual Pittsburgh or college football fans, often wearing Steelers jerseys or the like, just showing up for the spectacle. Pitt has a solid core of 30-40K season ticket/fan base that consistently show up...it yo-yos between those numbers depending on team and opponent quality (and was certainly down last year with the double whammy of mounting frustration with all the coaching change disasters and perhaps the worst schedule in the program's history). Temple travels virtually no one. Louisville travels...oh...I'd say several thousand. Worse than WVU but better than others like Cincy or BC. It depends on their expectations and how their doing...as it does for most schools. Pitt's going to be very close to selling out this year. Ticket sales have outpaced the last time Pitt sold out in 2003. There were under 8.5K season tickets left last time I heard. WVU's tickets sales are down. If Holgy wants to play an unbalanced series at Heinz, heck, I'd be all for it, not that I think WVU will get scheduling priority with the current AD over PSU.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 04:08 PM by CrazyPaco.)
08-02-2013 04:05 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Hey Chappy

Seriously though, I love the ECU series and WVU playing in Charlotte. Its a win/win for everyone

Jackson
08-02-2013 05:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.