Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Holy Crap Rockets just might pull off the opening week stunner
Bookmark and Share
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
Holy Crap Rockets just might pull off the opening week stunner
https://twitter.com/GatorZoneChris/statu...4771366912

Gator RB Matt Jones out indefinitely with a viral infection. Florida has only 14 starters and now their QB has an appendectomy and then this happens.
Realize that this will be the biggest MAC win since NIU beating Alabama in 03. The consequences would be huge.
08-01-2013 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Holy Crap Rockets just might pull off the opening week stunner
Long ways away and we seem to have a history of injuries incurred in practice, so....

The MAC has some tough gamee the first few weeks. If anyone of Toledo, NIU, Kent, Ohio or Bg can get an upset or two, they've a good chance of making top 25. NIUs might not even be "upsets."
08-01-2013 10:44 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Hard to say about something like that. The game is still a month away. He might still be back in time to play, at least get some carries. Just depends on what it is.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 11:03 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
08-01-2013 11:03 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
08-02-2013 09:30 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Man, I hope we don't lose anybody in preseason.
08-02-2013 09:53 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-01-2013 10:15 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  https://twitter.com/GatorZoneChris/statu...4771366912

Florida has only 14 starters and now their QB has an appendectomy and then this happens.

Are those returning starters or starters period, because I like our chances with them playing 7 on each side of the ball. Or even better going with something like 11 on offense but only 3 on defense. 03-wink
08-02-2013 10:53 PM
Advertisement

tolfbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo/Browns
(08-02-2013 10:53 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 10:15 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  https://twitter.com/GatorZoneChris/statu...4771366912

Florida has only 14 starters and now their QB has an appendectomy and then this happens.

Are those returning starters or starters period, because I like our chances with them playing 7 on each side of the ball. Or even better going with something like 11 on offense but only 3 on defense. 03-wink
Sometimes your posts make me cry a river I laugh so hard.......
08-02-2013 11:18 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
even if they get everyone back it certainly looks like they'll have a qb w a tender tummy, a big strong rb not at top strength and 2 olinemen playing in pain. plus, their top lb suspended. florida will plug in very talented guys, but the impression is that their offensive unit, which struggled at times last yr, may have issues getting in sync. considering that florida has a recent history of playing sloppy in opening week, you gotta imagine they will be less than a well oiled week 1 machine with all the injury issues.

Go Rockets
08-03-2013 02:11 AM
OldRock Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(08-02-2013 09:53 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Man, I hope we don't lose anybody in preseason.

Amen, brother. We need everybody healthy for Ball State, NIU, Central Mich. MAC championship is everything.
08-03-2013 08:19 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
Yep Florida does have talent but if they play an inexperienced RB & QB, your D will be able to tee off on them and keep the score low. Your offense may only need to score 14-`17 to win.
08-03-2013 09:23 AM
RowdyReptile Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida
Even if Florida was 100% healthy, Toledo should have a good measure of confidence coming into this game, especially considering the quality of your offense. Good QB, and skill position players at WR and RB, but your OL is really good, with a center that is one of the best in College football, if I understand things correctly.

Florida is replacing a great DT and both starting safeties, and given our projected starter at MLB acted a fool and won't be playing, that leaves the middle a big question mark for Florida entering this season.

I do believe Driskel will play, but having your starting QB miss half of fall camp is nothing but bad, especially with timing etc. with the WRs, which let's face it, haven't done much lately. My opinion is Matt Jones will not be playing, but that is just a guess based on what I read, so UF has inexperience at the TB position...talent, but unproven to this point. Even Jones did not have that much game time last year sitting behind Mike Gillislee. Probably means Trey Burton will be in the backfield a lot, and he is pretty good and Hunter Joyer the FB might see a lot of carries.

Mack Brown, who hasn't done much, will probably start at RB and behind him are two true Freshamn, Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane. Also, Florida has to replace Caleb Sturgis at Kicker, and that isn't going to be easy. He kept us in close games last season, and that position is a concern.

Going to be an interesting ball game.

RR
08-03-2013 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Rocket Man Offline
2nd String

I am looking forward to this matchup! I think it will be competitive.

Our guys need to be in the best shape of their lives going into the Swamp - it will be hot an humid.

GO ROCKETS!!!
08-03-2013 10:25 AM
ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

I Root For: Row The Boat
BGSU played them tough last year and you guys are a superior team. Toledo teams play with discipline and always seemed to be so well coached. I think you guys have a chance in this one. It sure would be great for the league.
08-03-2013 01:55 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-03-2013 10:04 AM)RowdyReptile Wrote:  Even if Florida was 100% healthy, Toledo should have a good measure of confidence coming into this game, especially considering the quality of your offense. Good QB, and skill position players at WR and RB, but your OL is really good, with a center that is one of the best in College football, if I understand things correctly.

Florida is replacing a great DT and both starting safeties, and given our projected starter at MLB acted a fool and won't be playing, that leaves the middle a big question mark for Florida entering this season.

I do believe Driskel will play, but having your starting QB miss half of fall camp is nothing but bad, especially with timing etc. with the WRs, which let's face it, haven't done much lately. My opinion is Matt Jones will not be playing, but that is just a guess based on what I read, so UF has inexperience at the TB position...talent, but unproven to this point. Even Jones did not have that much game time last year sitting behind Mike Gillislee. Probably means Trey Burton will be in the backfield a lot, and he is pretty good and Hunter Joyer the FB might see a lot of carries.

Mack Brown, who hasn't done much, will probably start at RB and behind him are two true Freshamn, Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane. Also, Florida has to replace Caleb Sturgis at Kicker, and that isn't going to be easy. He kept us in close games last season, and that position is a concern.

Going to be an interesting ball game.

RR

I was very impressed by Taylor. great genetics of course.
08-03-2013 02:07 PM
RowdyReptile Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida
(08-03-2013 02:07 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  I was very impressed by Taylor. great genetics of course.

Obviously, Gator fans are quite happy to have Kelvin, and he has a spring under his belt, but we should only expect so much from him early. I think Demarcus Robinson at WR will be our impact freshman this year. He has all the talent in the world, and it is at a position where we need to find some playmakers.

Early yet, obviously, but Florida is stumbling out of the gates here. Not good.

RR
08-03-2013 04:11 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
timing can be everything. florida has more physical talent down the roster, but Toledo should be able to match physically and skill wise for the 30 or so guys that really see the field. secondly, I think our squad is gonna be a bit tighter and more in sync for game 1. 8 weeks into the season this could be a different florida team, right now they may need several games to get it going.
08-03-2013 07:18 PM
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

To win in the swamp, Toledo needs depth and defense. Offensively, Toledo may be okay, but there are questions that won't really be answered until game time. How effective will Toledo's running game be when Fluellen needs a breather? Toledo does not have an established 1-2 punch against that level of talent. Will Toledo's wide outs be able to get separation from Florida's dbs and can Owens hit secondary targets under pressure? On special teams,Reedy is great return man. Can the guys in front of him effectively block the Florida gunners? The biggest questions will be on defense. Will the defense be able to get any penetration? Last season when Fatinikun was sidelined with injury, it seemed the d-line was not nearly as effective. There will be new faces at the linebacker position and a so-so secondary. Toledo gave up 39 plays that were greater than 30 yds last year. There were only 3 teams that gave up more. Despite the Cincinnati win, Toledo's defense struggled against Eastern Michigan and Akron (Akron dropped and missed a lot of pass opportunities). Florida may sputter from time to time in what may seem like an ugly game, but they will be replacing side-lined players will high school All-Americans. I just don't see Toledo's defense all of sudden becoming a solid cohesive unit in the season opener, on the road, against Florida.
08-04-2013 07:31 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-04-2013 07:31 AM)falconplucker Wrote:  To win in the swamp, Toledo needs depth and defense. Offensively, Toledo may be okay, but there are questions that won't really be answered until game time. How effective will Toledo's running game be when Fluellen needs a breather? Toledo does not have an established 1-2 punch against that level of talent. Will Toledo's wide outs be able to get separation from Florida's dbs and can Owens hit secondary targets under pressure? On special teams,Reedy is great return man. Can the guys in front of him effectively block the Florida gunners? The biggest questions will be on defense. Will the defense be able to get any penetration? Last season when Fatinikun was sidelined with injury, it seemed the d-line was not nearly as effective. There will be new faces at the linebacker position and a so-so secondary. Toledo gave up 39 plays that were greater than 30 yds last year. There were only 3 teams that gave up more. Despite the Cincinnati win, Toledo's defense struggled against Eastern Michigan and Akron (Akron dropped and missed a lot of pass opportunities). Florida may sputter from time to time in what may seem like an ugly game, but they will be replacing side-lined players will high school All-Americans. I just don't see Toledo's defense all of sudden becoming a solid cohesive unit in the season opener, on the road, against Florida.

Have you been or talked to anybody that has been at practices? I think I known the answer because of your concerns. To me the biggest issues are on Offense 1) The #2 QB and 2) The starting RT position-got 2- 6'8" 310 lbs+ guys that are capable. With a lefthanded QB, they got Owens backside which is critical.
08-04-2013 08:07 AM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

My biggest concern aside from the Gators talent is the heat. Sounds like its been pretty cool for this time of year in Ohio....read it was in the 60's the other day. Leading up to the game Campbell should move practices indoors and crank up the heat...it will be low 90's and high humidity on game day.
08-04-2013 08:35 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

(08-04-2013 08:07 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 07:31 AM)falconplucker Wrote:  To win in the swamp, Toledo needs depth and defense. Offensively, Toledo may be okay, but there are questions that won't really be answered until game time. How effective will Toledo's running game be when Fluellen needs a breather? Toledo does not have an established 1-2 punch against that level of talent. Will Toledo's wide outs be able to get separation from Florida's dbs and can Owens hit secondary targets under pressure? On special teams,Reedy is great return man. Can the guys in front of him effectively block the Florida gunners? The biggest questions will be on defense. Will the defense be able to get any penetration? Last season when Fatinikun was sidelined with injury, it seemed the d-line was not nearly as effective. There will be new faces at the linebacker position and a so-so secondary. Toledo gave up 39 plays that were greater than 30 yds last year. There were only 3 teams that gave up more. Despite the Cincinnati win, Toledo's defense struggled against Eastern Michigan and Akron (Akron dropped and missed a lot of pass opportunities). Florida may sputter from time to time in what may seem like an ugly game, but they will be replacing side-lined players will high school All-Americans. I just don't see Toledo's defense all of sudden becoming a solid cohesive unit in the season opener, on the road, against Florida.

Have you been or talked to anybody that has been at practices? I think I known the answer because of your concerns. To me the biggest issues are on Offense 1) The #2 QB and 2) The starting RT position-got 2- 6'8" 310 lbs+ guys that are capable. With a lefthanded QB, they got Owens backside which is critical.

I must have been left off of the practice sign in sheet, because they won't let me in. I'm not saying the defense won't improve this year, but I don't see if happening the first game of the season. Practice is one thing, playing a top tier program in their home stadium is another. Toledo's total team defense was ranked 109th in the nation last year. 78th against the rush and 116th against the pass. I'm sure those numbers will improve, but it likely won't be time for Florida.
08-04-2013 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.