UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just received an interesting UAB item I bought on EBay.
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Just received an interesting UAB item I bought on EBay.
I got a 1973 UAB yearbook, interestingly titled "Annual Report '73"

Have glanced through it and found pictures of a lot of hippie looking students. 03-lmfao

Has a section on the newest building being dedicated, what I knew as Building One, and is now known as the Education Building.

Also a section about the basketball team nobody knows about. A team called the U.C. Vulcans. They went 6-10 and played teams such as George C. Wallace, Lurleen B. Wallace, Wennoah Tech, U.A.H, and Cullman College.

Here's what it says about these pre-blazers.

Quote:5 of 9 on varsity scored more than 250 pts.
In the second year of their existence, the U.C. Basketball team has exhibited a determination to prove that a varsity athletic program can exist at an urban university. Among the many accomplishments of the team this year was the acquisition of a name. After much red tape, the U.C. Basketball team became known as the Vulcans. With a coach such as Coach Bingham and players like Curtis Patterson, Mike Russell, Arthur Burns, Willie Carter, Bill Tress and Jim McIntyre the U.C. Vulcans are destined to prove themselves a formidable opponent on the small college circuit

Player Mike Russell also received honorable mention All-state small college.

There was a women's basketball team that placed fifth in the state in small college division and a gymnastics team and baseball teams as well.

When I get the chance, I will try to take some pictures and upload them to the site.
08-01-2013 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
RE: Just received an interesting UAB item I bought on EBay.
I'd love to see some pics
08-01-2013 09:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
Did / does UAB have yearbooks?
08-01-2013 09:16 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
That sounds like the school's first yearbook that came out about that time. The name left a lot to be desired. Look to see if there is a picture of Dr. Harper's 30 cup coffee pot. If so, that is the original yearbook of UAB which came out the year after I graduated with my MA in Education.

I have not seen one since then, but there may be pictures of Dr. Coley (English), Dr Jack D.L. Holmes (History) - later "Sir Jack" when knighted by the King of Spain, Dr. James Thompson, Dr. Charles Wilson (both in Education) and perhaps Dr Virginia van de Veer Hamilton (History) and the old Tidwell Hall where nearly all classes met and its 2nd floor east end room was the whole UAB Library.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 11:01 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
08-01-2013 10:53 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

(08-01-2013 09:16 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Did / does UAB have yearbooks?

The last I heard of one was in like 04... but it might have lasted a bit longer. err maybe 03?
08-01-2013 11:41 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

(08-01-2013 11:41 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 09:16 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Did / does UAB have yearbooks?

The last I heard of one was in like 04... but it might have lasted a bit longer. err maybe 03?

I never saw or heard of a yearbook during my years at UAB (06-10).
08-02-2013 06:40 AM
Advertisement

BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
I never heard of one during my time from 1989-1993.
08-02-2013 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers
(08-01-2013 10:53 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  That sounds like the school's first yearbook that came out about that time. The name left a lot to be desired. Look to see if there is a picture of Dr. Harper's 30 cup coffee pot. If so, that is the original yearbook of UAB which came out the year after I graduated with my MA in Education.

I have not seen one since then, but there may be pictures of Dr. Coley (English), Dr Jack D.L. Holmes (History) - later "Sir Jack" when knighted by the King of Spain, Dr. James Thompson, Dr. Charles Wilson (both in Education) and perhaps Dr Virginia van de Veer Hamilton (History) and the old Tidwell Hall where nearly all classes met and its 2nd floor east end room was the whole UAB Library.

Dr. Coley in the English Dept was a gem of a man. A kind and wise gentleman. He hired my Dad and made us kids, who were brand new to Alabama, so welcome when we visited UAB for the first time. They don't make 'em like Dr. Coley anymore.
08-02-2013 08:33 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-02-2013 08:23 AM)BTR Wrote:  I never heard of one during my time from 1989-1993.

They probably had them. You just had to be listening for them. I graduated in 87 and there were yearbooks, but it wasn't made a big deal. Most people I knew never bothered to get pictures made for it.
08-02-2013 09:38 AM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
(08-02-2013 09:38 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 08:23 AM)BTR Wrote:  I never heard of one during my time from 1989-1993.

They probably had them. You just had to be listening for them. I graduated in 87 and there were yearbooks, but it wasn't made a big deal. Most people I knew never bothered to get pictures made for it.

They may have had them but I was on IFC, in a fraternity, was mascot, on Blazer Crew (orientation crew), in the Honors Program, etc... I was very involved in campus life and I would have thought that at least for one of those things I would have heard something. I would have love to have had one. 03-hissyfit
08-02-2013 10:39 AM
OldBlazer Offline
Water Engineer

I have a copy of 'The Phoenix' from my Freshman year at UAB (1982-1983). It was something you had to pay to be in... and my parents were so proud of me being the first child to make it to college that they wanted a copy of it.
08-02-2013 12:20 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(08-02-2013 12:20 PM)OldBlazer Wrote:  

I have a copy of 'The Phoenix' from my Freshman year at UAB (1982-1983). It was something you had to pay to be in... and my parents were so proud of me being the first child to make it to college that they wanted a copy of it.

That "pay to be included" deal was the common practice back then as "The Corolla" at Bama did the same. Many school yearbooks later included all students who would get their pictures taken, perhaps in hopes they would later buy a copy.

Since most early UAB students were transients, they might have had little interest in a UAB yearbook. As we have noted before, many UAB students cling to other schools even though they finish getting their degrees from UAB.

BTW, MB - Did you find the unlabeled picture of Dr Harper's 30 cup coffee maker in that annual?
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 12:37 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
08-02-2013 02:39 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Didn't look for it.
08-02-2013 03:14 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
03-lol
08-02-2013 03:47 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
03-lmfao
08-02-2013 04:04 PM
dragonzden Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(08-01-2013 08:09 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I got a 1973 UAB yearbook, interestingly titled "Annual Report '73"

Have glanced through it and found pictures of a lot of hippie looking students. 03-lmfao

Has a section on the newest building being dedicated, what I knew as Building One, and is now known as the Education Building.

Also a section about the basketball team nobody knows about. A team called the U.C. Vulcans. They went 6-10 and played teams such as George C. Wallace, Lurleen B. Wallace, Wennoah Tech, U.A.H, and Cullman College.

Here's what it says about these pre-blazers.

Quote:5 of 9 on varsity scored more than 250 pts.
In the second year of their existence, the U.C. Basketball team has exhibited a determination to prove that a varsity athletic program can exist at an urban university. Among the many accomplishments of the team this year was the acquisition of a name. After much red tape, the U.C. Basketball team became known as the Vulcans. With a coach such as Coach Bingham and players like Curtis Patterson, Mike Russell, Arthur Burns, Willie Carter, Bill Tress and Jim McIntyre the U.C. Vulcans are destined to prove themselves a formidable opponent on the small college circuit

Player Mike Russell also received honorable mention All-state small college.

There was a women's basketball team that placed fifth in the state in small college division and a gymnastics team and baseball teams as well.

When I get the chance, I will try to take some pictures and upload them to the site.

This is the name of the New Tumor Institute Building on the corner of 6th Ave. and 19th Street South.
08-03-2013 04:27 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

She was also governor of Alabama until she died of cancer, thus the name of the tumor building
08-03-2013 11:07 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(08-02-2013 03:14 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Didn't look for it.

03-nutkick
08-04-2013 02:48 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
I guess it was a good laugh at the expense of one of UAB's earliest deans, Dr Hubert Harper and his 30 cup coffee pot since it was the central gathering point for many of us old alumni when we were students in Tidwell Hall and regarded him and his nightly available hot coffee (most of us were night students with day jobs and there were no in-house school food places then) with great affection. That picture needed no label for those who were the first to attend UAB when there were only Tidwell and Cudworth Halls for classes. Old people do tell the funniest stories.
08-04-2013 04:58 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-04-2013 04:58 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  I guess it was a good laugh at the expense of one of UAB's earliest deans, Dr Hubert Harper and his 30 cup coffee pot since it was the central gathering point for many of us old alumni when we were students in Tidwell Hall and regarded him and his nightly available hot coffee (most of us were night students with day jobs and there were no in-house school food places then) with great affection. That picture needed no label for those who were the first to attend UAB when there were only Tidwell and Cudworth Halls for classes. Old people do tell the funniest stories.

With all due respect, it was actually a laugh at your expense.
08-04-2013 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.