Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fan Experiences
Bookmark and Share
Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Fan Experiences
Something in another thread got me thinking about my best and worst fan experiences. Off the top of my head, but not in order:

Best:

1) Nebraska football - Husker fans went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Great atmosphere at their stadium, great people
2) Green Bay Packers - Went to their stadium supporting an opposing team. Lots of good natured ribbing. People were very friendly both before and after the game.
3) Uruguay soccer - This is from a national team friendly at RFK. Their fans created a great atmosphere and were still creating a great atmosphere when their team got pounded.
4) Boston Red Sox - Granted, I was there not supporting any team in particular, but I felt like I was adopted by the whole crowd. People from rows over piped up to give me advise on what to visit in Boston and to provide good natured ribbing about the teams that I did support. A really fun evening.

Honorable mention: Kansas City Chiefs - I was there for a bachelor party and was fairly obnoxious. No one saw fit to dump a drink on my head, which would not have been completely out of line.

Worst:

1) WVU football - A horrific fanbase that seems to take pride in being a horrific fanbase. Cursing at opposing fans walking though the parking lot before a game. Spitting and throwing things at opposing fans. I've had 4 experienced with this fanbase now. Not sure if I would return for a 5th.
2) Fans of Philadelphia and New York professional sports teams - Aside from the legendary, well publicized Philly fanbase activities, there always seem to be fist fights, cursing at or around kids, and a general insistence on screaming in people's ears at games I have attended.
3) FSU Football - The fans that I met that actually attended FSU were fine, but the legions that did not were generally amazingly obnoxious and rude.
4) UVA basketball, football, soccer - I have some friends who went to UVA, but for the most part, these people are oil and I am water.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences. Especially the good ones - always on the lookout for places to take the kids.
07-28-2013 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Fan Experiences
I've had good experiences when attending JMU games at Appy. They want and expect to win, but understand where the limit is when pushing their opinions on the opposition.
07-28-2013 09:13 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I think the main thing (for most places) is if you have thin-skin or tend to let idiots get under your skin, DO NOT TAILGATE OR SIT NEAR STUDENTS.

This is a universal truth of every collegiate sports atmosphere. Avoid the students & don't judge the fanbase by their (immature) actions.
07-28-2013 10:17 AM
JMUSuperfan2000 Offline
Special Teams

You can find good experiences pretty much anywhere, just like you can find idiots everywhere. I used to go to Maryland-Duke basketball games growing up at Cole, sit in the season tickets section, and wear my Duke attire. Not once did I ever have a beer or a battery thrown at me, and anyone who knows me knows that I give just as good as I get when it comes to being obnoxious.

I've also had good times up at UD and down at Appy, mostly because I find humor in the stupid antics of people. I met plenty of jerks throughout the years at both of those places too, but I'm not going to let someone giving me the middle finger and drunkenly shouting at me ruin my day.
07-28-2013 10:27 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(07-28-2013 10:17 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I think the main thing (for most places) is if you have thin-skin or tend to let idiots get under your skin, DO NOT TAILGATE OR SIT NEAR STUDENTS.

This is a universal truth of every collegiate sports atmosphere. Avoid the students & don't judge the fanbase by their (immature) actions.

Very sage advice!
07-28-2013 10:27 AM
JMUDuke2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

My experiences have been pretty good.

Best (outside JMU of course):

1. Penn State -- Great fans. Alumni are great and open. Some of the non-alumni are obnoxious but nothing you can't handle. Great atmosphere. Haven't been back since I graduated and the Sandusky scandal so I don't know how things have changed.

2. Tennessee -- Great fans. Not a bad word to say about them.

3. Red Sox -- Outside of gentle ribbing they were welcoming and knowledgeable.

4. Nationals -- enjoyable experience. Nothing bad to say.

5. UVa football -- I've never had a bad experience in C'ville. It is helpful that I grew up a UVa fan.

Worst:

1. Notre Dame -- I hate their fans, I hate their team, and I'm starting to hate the school. I've had two horrible experiences and never, ever want to be around them again.

2. Phillies game -- Love the ballpark, fans completely suck in every way. The people i attended with apologized for their rude fan base.

3. Villanova -- just a crappy game day experience. No life in that high school stadium.
07-28-2013 11:26 AM
Advertisement

JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

Good:
1. Anything in Pittsburgh. Been to Pitt Panther football and basketball and Pittsburgh Pirate games. Always a good experience for me.

2. Never had a problem at UVA.

3. Ditto for UNC.

4. Been to Duke football and there isn't enough people their to create a bad experience so they are good by default.

5. Clemson is awesome.

Bad:
1. Anything in Phily. They have to be the most miserable people on Earth.

2. Anything in College Park. Well documented that the students are a-holes but the adults are pretty bad too.

3. NC State. Was walking through the parking lot in a group of people that included my parents and some of their friends. Grown men getting in front of us running their mouths and cussing up a storm. Maryland wanna-be's.

4. WVU is the armpit of America. I've seen grown men throw metal trash cans at visiting fans walking down the street. WWE style.
07-28-2013 12:24 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Fan Experiences
I'm a 49ers fan, but their fan base can be a bit questionable at Candlestick Park at times--I'm thinking that might change a bit next year when the stadium moves to Santa Clara and the ticket prices go through the roof.

Underrated baseball experiences--KC, Denver....beautiful surroundings, nice fans.

Philly is the absolutely worst.

The cop mentioned in this video is from my hometown.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itB8TLf3ugM...tB8TLf3ugM
07-28-2013 12:37 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
People keep saying Philly is the worst. At least they care and don't let the opposing team's fans take over their stadium the way the Redskins "fans" do every time they play Pittsburgh, Philly, or NY.

Agree on Villanova. Kinda like watching a football game in a cemetery. Some of the others that I've been to.

- Penn State - Awesome game day experience.
- UVA Football - Really, really lame.
- Tampa Rays - Just awful. People ringing cow bells in your ear is not a good baseball experience.
- Orioles - Always great when the O's are competitive
- Caps - Good atmosphere, good area around the stadium.
- UNC Football - OK, nothing special.
- Denver Broncos - Soleless bowl of concrete. No atmosphere in that stadium.
- Pirates PNC Park / AT&T Park (San Fran Giants) - Both really cool baseball parks that you should bet to if you get a chance.
- Redskins - Worst NFL football stadium I've been to. Not so much the stadium itself, but just getting in and out of there and the parking situation makes it a much better experience to watch on TV
- Coors Field - Nice park, good area before/after games, no atmosphere
- Folsom Field - Gorgeous setting. Love it.
- Citi Field - Drek

Ones I'd really like to get to that I haven't been and look awesome on TV include a Seahawks game (looks great on TV) and always wanted to see a game at the Big House.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 12:55 PM by DoubleDDuke.)
07-28-2013 12:42 PM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

Been to a lot of stadiums and events. Most are pretty decent. JMU absolutely has a great game day atmosphere, no doubt about it. Biased to be sure, but still, it is great. I would also give a nod to Hershey. I go up for hockey games a lot and they really have a great fan experience up there.

The worst is easier... Philly. They are just ugly people in an ugly city acting ugly. They do care... about acting like aholes. No doubt. Montreal is the same way... they are Canada's Philly.
07-28-2013 01:05 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
Since this seems to be going beyond just college football, in my experience:

MLB
Fenway - A model for others to follow. Intimate (close to the action) seating, you can feel the history. Added points for lifting the beer limit! Fans know everything about the team, they'll razz you but they're not as nasty as Phil/NY
Camden Yards - Classic in every way. Love it. Agree that visiting fans tend to "take over"
Yankee Stadium - New Yankee Stadium was a disappointment to me. Most expensive ballpark ever, but missed on many points for fan experience. Old YS was better, even in its decrepit state. The Bleacher Creatures are still around, but fewer in number and they're angrier for having to pay twice as much for an obstructed view in the outfield.
Citi Field - I'm a Mets fan. The atmo at Shea was great in seasons the Mets were competitive. Citi Field has been open during a period of seasons the Mets have been a losing team. Fans aren't showing up to pay ridiculous ticket prices in a new stadium to watch a losing team lose (even Yankee Stadium isn't filling seats at this price). I only go once a season anymore. Used to go to 8-10 games/season). Wish there were more places to check out around the stadium, but we usually take the opportunity to hit Flushing or Astoria before or after for good ethnic food.
Veterans Stadium - It was old, fans were awful. Haven't been to Citizens Bank Park. Want to see the stadium, but the thought of Philly fans...
Fulton County - Would have been great if not for that damn tomahawk chop every 3 minutes. Haven't been to Turner Field.
Jacobs Field - Cheap seats (we sat 4th row between dugout & home plate for $40/ticket, would've been $500 seats at Citi), best ballpark hot dogs I've ever had.
PNC Park - Beautiful view, otherwise not very memorable. Lots of camouflage in the stands (reminded me of Harrisonburg).
Dodger Stadium - a midcentury relic. Haven't been recently to see their new renovations.

Minor League Baseball
Brooklyn Cyclones - One of the best atmospheres for baseball anywhere. Park is on the ocean, sell-out crowds, ballpark bar turns into a dance club after the game (not my scene, but cool they do it), and go next door to ride the Cyclone rollercoaster after the game
Norfolk Tides - Nice atmo, nothing too special
Charlotte Knights - Older park, but good experience
Erie Seawolves - Small crowd, quiet, but nice park
Newark Bears - See Erie
Allentown Ironpigs - Nice family atmosphere
Trenton Thunder - See Allentown

College Football
JMU - The best, Jerry. The best.
Rutgers - The Pandemonium in Piscataway is fun. Great tailgating, electric energy when the team is winning, but the band is kinda lame. The R!!!! U!!! cheer gets old by the end of the 1st qtr.
Penn State - Huge, game day is the big event for anyone in a 60 mile radius at least. Beaver Stadium is the place to be, and you feel that.
UVA - For nostalgia it's nice (Dad went to UVA), but it's far from the most exciting atmosphere. Since when does UVA have a marching band?
Army - Surprisingly quiet
URI - is this high school?
Been to a few bowl games, which aren't too exciting if your team isn't playing.

NHL
NY Rangers - Midtown corporate crowd shows up big for evening games. Fans have a lot of knowledge about the team and players, and you'll likely talk a great deal with the people sitting around you.
NJ Devils - Fans are haters. The arena is very nice.

MLS
New York Red Bulls - stadium is a beauty, supporters club is huge, good beer selection (though pricey). It's in a semi-industrial area that's being redeveloped. It's a much much better experience than watching the MetroStars at Giants Stadium.
Philadelphia Union - Another beautiful new stadium, despite its shabby location. Some a-hole philly phans, but not nearly as bad as the baseball and football fans.

Never been to an NFL game. Doesn't interest me. I'd rather watch multiple games on TV in a bar on Sundays.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 02:01 PM by madizoned-level2004.)
07-28-2013 01:59 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2013 12:24 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  Bad:

2. Anything in College Park. Well documented that the students are a-holes but the adults are pretty bad too.

So, you're saying I made the right choice with champagne power hour & Dogfish 90 minute that tailgate?? I didn't have ANY bad experiences (that I remember)!
07-28-2013 02:42 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

In my experience, nobody really has a problem except if you go into an opposing stadium and act like a complete *******. That includes Philly, NY, Oakland, wherever. I've honestly never seen a confrontation in any of those places where the person didn't bring it on them self. If you just sit there and watch the game and root for your team and don't taunt people, you're fine.
07-28-2013 03:06 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Sounds like a Philly fan...
07-28-2013 03:24 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Best JMU football away game fans are at Liberty. Treat you very well.
07-28-2013 03:27 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2013 03:27 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Best JMU football away game fans are at Liberty. Treat you very well.

The Liberty in-game staff (stadium & pressbox staff) did NOT treat the MRDs very well. Kept changing the rules mid-game of when it was OK for them to play. Not sure why you would treat a band poorly, but it happened...

Edit: So that people don't draw their own conclusions, there was nothing made of this by JMU band staffers, they just tried to brush it off. No one complained about it.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 03:31 PM by HyperDuke.)
07-28-2013 03:29 PM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2013 03:24 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Sounds like a Philly fan...

And you sound like a scared *****.
07-28-2013 04:36 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh no, not this again. Are we really going to have to do this again? Please choose from these options:

1) Explain why I'm scared as it related to your post.
2) Apologize with no explanation.
3) Choose what's behind Door #3...
07-28-2013 05:11 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2013 05:11 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Oh no, not this again. Are we really going to have to do this again? Please choose from these options:

1) Explain why I'm scared as it related to your post.
2) Apologize with no explanation.
3) Choose what's behind Door #3...

How about 4? My post had nothing to do with yours but you're still soft either way.
07-28-2013 05:23 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

You quoted me in the post. Were you trying to quote someone else? Nice zinger at the end! Let's make sure no one on the internet thinks you're not a badass!
07-28-2013 05:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.