Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App Folks
Bookmark and Share
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
App Folks
I'm driving to upstate NY in a week, and will be driving right by Boone. I wouldn't mind making a stop in town and get a glimpse of enemy territory. 04-cheers Any suggestions on where to get lunch? Open to any suggestions, but am partial to some vinegar based NC BBQ.
07-26-2013 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sixtoes9134 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App State
RE: App Folks
(07-26-2013 12:53 PM)cmaxwellgsu Wrote:  I'm driving to upstate NY in a week, and will be driving right by Boone. I wouldn't mind making a stop in town and get a glimpse of enemy territory. 04-cheers Any suggestions on where to get lunch? Open to any suggestions, but am partial to some vinegar based NC BBQ.

Downtown Boone has plenty of good places to eat lunch.

Coyote Cafe, Char, Murphy's, Boone Saloon, Town Tavern, Pepper's (a little ways from downtown).

Bandanas in Boone serves western style (red sauce) as does Woodlands in Blowing Rock.

However, if you are looking for vinegar based bbq, I suggest towns east of Raleigh as vinegar based is typically found in Eastern NC bbq.
07-26-2013 01:27 PM
Wild Bill Kelso Offline
2nd String

About the closest you'll some to vinegar based BBQ in Boone is Woodlands in Blowing Rock. Bandana's is more of the traditional sauce based, but it is in Boone. Unless you are traveling 321 it will be at least a 20 minute round trip from Boone to BR & back and possibly more due to the widening of 321 through BR. Some of my personal favorites are Cafe Portofino & Primo's Pizza, Pasta & Subs (Italian),
Town Tavern (Great Wings & subs), Macado's Restaurant (sandwiches), Dos Amigos & Black Cat Burrito (Mexican), Mike's Inland Seafood, Peddler Steak House, Come Back Shack (burgers) and there is always The Daniel Boone Inn - family style dining.
Here are some links for you to search. Good luck and enjoy your trip to God's Country!

http://bandanasbarbque.com/

http://www.woodlandsbbq.com/

http://www.exploreboonearea.com/Placesto...fault.aspx
07-26-2013 01:46 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
First thing I think of when mentioning Boone, NC is Mexican food. 03-thumbsup
07-26-2013 03:08 PM
Upstate App Offline
Water Engineer

Black Cat Burrito is good, and I'll second Woodlands BBQ as a solid choice.
07-26-2013 03:21 PM
phaymore Offline
Water Engineer

If you're coming through Wilkesboro, I would stop by Tipton's BBQ. It's right on US 421. Best Eastern-style BBQ that I have had on this side of the state.
07-26-2013 03:38 PM
Advertisement

BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

I'd say as far as BBQ goes, Woodlands is your best option. Capone's (Italian) in downtown is one of my favorite restaurants in Boone. Black Cat is definitely up there too. Enjoy your time in the High Country!
07-26-2013 04:33 PM
GSUALUM Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern
If your in a hurry to stay on the road, I'd recommend "Come Back Shack". Great Burgers, Fingers and Shakes" They serve the real thing.
However, if you have time to kill, check out King Street and drop by Boone Drug.
07-26-2013 04:48 PM
gseagle Offline
Bench Warmer

regardless of the sauce, go to woodlands. you wont be disappointed.
07-26-2013 08:46 PM
appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Agreed, Woodlands is my preference for BBQ in the High Country. I would avoid Bandanas in Boone as, IMO, it is over priced for the quality of the Q. Pepper's is good for a sandwich (the Jean Lawson) and if you don't know what you want, Cafe Portofino has a varied menu and everything on it is solid...
07-26-2013 08:54 PM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
Hey Fellow App fans, we have become so entrenched in our Lexington style vs. Eastern Style that I think some have forgotten that to outsiders, BOTH styles are vinegar based (as opposite to thick, tomato based sauces...or SC mustard based). Eastern style is stronger on the vinegar whereas Lexington style has some tomato added and is sweeter but is still very thin. When I think of "western" style, I think of TX...not Western NC. Compared to TX style sauce, both NC styles are "vinegar" based.

In Boone, I would go for Woodlands. For the record, you can also get Woodlands at the App games in the stadium.
07-27-2013 08:17 AM
Advertisement

DrGonzo Offline
1st String

Coyote Kitchen is one of the best restaurants in North Carolina. Their Taos Boat was featured in Our State Magazine this year. Great fish and Kobe Beef tacos and INCREDIBLE burgers. It's over near Walmart.

Black Cat is the best spot on King St IMO. Tons of great dining and drinking in the downtown area. You can't go wrong anywhere.
07-27-2013 12:06 PM
Korr-upt Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Woodlands is so goooood!!!!
07-27-2013 09:16 PM
asu7 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: APP STATE
(07-27-2013 12:06 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  Coyote Kitchen is one of the best restaurants in North Carolina. Their Taos Boat was featured in Our State Magazine this year. Great fish and Kobe Beef tacos and INCREDIBLE burgers. It's over near Walmart.

Black Cat is the best spot on King St IMO. Tons of great dining and drinking in the downtown area. You can't go wrong anywhere.

Is it near the Hokkaido and Beef O' Brady's?
07-29-2013 08:30 AM
pjc1979 Offline
Special Teams

I prefer eastern style myself having been raised in Eastern NC and agree Woodlands is very good. They hickory smoke their barbeque! You can get a simple vinegar/pepper sauce their as well, ala Eastern NC style. It's the only place I'll eat barbeque in the High Country and their barbeque sandwiches are my preferred in-stadium snack for football games at The Rock.
07-29-2013 09:42 AM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

Thank y'all for all the suggestions, I'll be there next Saturday around lunchtime. I'll have to post where we're going.
07-29-2013 04:04 PM
Advertisement

appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Be sure to let us know where you eat. I would be interested in your opinion(s)- just arrive hungry. :)
07-29-2013 09:11 PM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

Woodlands is looking like the early leader at this point. My girlfriend likes the sound of it, and she does a good job of supporting the football habit. I'll be the guy in the GS polo Saturday for lunch, so if you're there come say hello.
07-30-2013 12:12 AM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
Is Phil Stinson still playing every Friday night at the Woodlands? He was playing back as early as 1982 when I was there and the last I heard a year or so ago he was still playing. Great entertainer!
07-30-2013 12:40 AM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

Been offline for the past week, but wanted to thank all the App fans for the recommendations. We went to Woodlands, and really enjoyed it. We both got the chopped pork plate. The pork was done perfectly; very tender without being greasy at all. The hot bbq sauce was awesome. Their fried okra was the standout of the sides. I have to say, App has a beautiful campus. Kidd Brewer is a very nice stadium, and I'm hoping to be there in October to cheer on the Eagles!
08-12-2013 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.