Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Todd Monken bitter?
Bookmark and Share
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Is Todd Monken bitter?
“My son was born there (Ruston). In years past, I tried to be the head coach there (La Tech) and they didn’t want me to be the head coach,” Monken said. “So yeah, if you’re getting at that point, it will be a natural rival. You bet your ass it will be.”

05-mafia
07-25-2013 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Is Todd Monken bitter?
[Image: 12611440650874507914.gif]
07-25-2013 12:50 PM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-25-2013 12:39 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  “My son was born there (Ruston). In years past, I tried to be the head coach there (La Tech) and they didn’t want me to be the head coach,” Monken said. “So yeah, if you’re getting at that point, it will be a natural rival. You bet your ass it will be.”

05-mafia

Sure sounds like it a bit.
You must have passed on him when you hired Dykes, or earlier.
I'm just glad we have him, after foolishly passing on him when Fedora left.
07-25-2013 12:53 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(07-25-2013 12:39 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  “My son was born there (Ruston). In years past, I tried to be the head coach there (La Tech) and they didn’t want me to be the head coach,” Monken said. “So yeah, if you’re getting at that point, it will be a natural rival. You bet your ass it will be.”

05-mafia

Sounds like a man that just threw down the gauntlet. Damn, he's got some serious moxie for a guy that is going into his 1st year as a head coach (that I'm aware of, that is) on the college level. I'll say this much, he's much more refreshing than Ellis Johnson...Is La. Tech on USM's schedule for this season? Damn, that is must-see football...If UAB has a bye week that day, I may be inclined to gas up the car and try to make this one in person. You gotta think that Skip Holtz is going to get wind of this alleged comment and try to use it as "fuel"...Get ready to take cover...
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 12:58 PM by Matrix.)
07-25-2013 12:56 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(07-25-2013 12:53 PM)AtlantaEagle Wrote:  

05-mafia

Sure sounds like it a bit.
You must have passed on him when you hired Dykes, or earlier.
I'm just glad we have him, after foolishly passing on him when Fedora left.

I think he interveiwed when Dooley and Dykes got the job. He didn't have the resume then that he has now. We would have hired him this time, but USM beat us to him.

But I'm glad this kind of stuff might drum up a good rivalry in a hurry.
07-25-2013 12:57 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
And you guys thought rivalries were going to be a problem in this new league.

MT/WKCC
Charlotte/ODU
La Tech/USM

If FIU and FAU can actually get south Floridians to care about football that's another.

And we haven't gotten the Texas schools going after each other yet. I think this is going to be fun.

Who else wants to ratchet things up.
07-25-2013 01:01 PM
Advertisement

southernmiss4ever Offline
All American

(07-25-2013 12:56 PM)Matrix Wrote:  

05-mafia

Sounds like a man that just threw down the gauntlet. Damn, he's got some serious moxie for a guy that is going into his 1st year as a head coach (that I'm aware of, that is) on the college level.

Y'all were saying the exact same thing about Fedora when he came to USM.
07-25-2013 01:05 PM
All American

(07-25-2013 01:01 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  And you guys thought rivalries were going to be a problem in this new league.

MT/WKCC
Charlotte/ODU
La Tech/USM

If FIU and FAU can actually get south Floridians to care about football that's another.

And we haven't gotten the Texas schools going after each other yet. I think this is going to be fun.

We went from having ECU/Memphis/Tulane to La Tech.

UAB could become a rivalry if they'll win more games than just USM every year (sarcasm, kind of).
07-25-2013 01:06 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(07-25-2013 01:01 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  And you guys thought rivalries were going to be a problem in this new league.

03-lmfao I don't have the cajones to do it, thrown a few "stones" in Troy's direction, but nothing incendiary like this!!! Damn, I love this! Refreshing, unbridled truth, it's almost as if he's challenging the cartel to line up against Conference USA & his charges at Southern Miss, their fans have got to be eating this up, especially after what they were put through last year...
07-25-2013 01:06 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Skip was the better hire.
07-25-2013 01:10 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC

FAU is ready, we've hated the Golden Kitties for a while now. Kitties need to step it up and stop caring about UM.

04-cheers

Acutally what really needs to happen is that when the FAU/FIU game gets played there is something on the line. So far when the two teams have met one or the other has been completly out of the picture either confrence or bowl game wise.
07-25-2013 01:12 PM
Advertisement

All American

(07-25-2013 01:10 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Skip was the better hire.

Don't believe I've ever seen a post of yours giving USM credit in anything.

Not surprising.
07-25-2013 01:19 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

(07-25-2013 01:06 PM)southernmiss4ever Wrote:  

MT/WKCC
Charlotte/ODU
La Tech/USM

UAB could become a rivalry if they'll win more games than just USM every year (sarcasm, kind of).

the reality is that most of our rivals have left, or are leaving.

it seems like there is this general trend in the la tech fan base (or maybe just this one guy that seems like the entire fan base) that wants to just add water, and poof!, instant rivalry. there is a certain segment in our fan base that wants to believe it, because it makes the conference seem undamaged if we can argue that we traded rival "a" for rival "b".

it makes them look like they have a complex, and it makes us look like we're in massive denial about what has happened.
07-25-2013 01:19 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

...now it's the crystal ball...you don't have hands do you? ...meaning you get nothing on either end....freddie joe pathetic
07-25-2013 01:20 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(07-25-2013 01:19 PM)EagleX Wrote:  

MT/WKCC
Charlotte/ODU
La Tech/USM

it seems like there is this general trend in the la tech fan base (or maybe just this one guy that seems like the entire fan base) that wants to just add water, and poof!, instant rivalry. there is a certain segment in our fan base that wants to believe it, because it makes the conference seem undamaged if we can argue that we traded rival "a" for rival "b".

it makes them look like they have a complex, and it makes us look like we're in massive denial about what has happened.

Tech will replace ECU.

MTSU and WKU are better football programs than Tulane and Memphis.

See, you've lost nothing
07-25-2013 01:21 PM
All American

(07-25-2013 01:21 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(07-25-2013 01:19 PM)EagleX Wrote:  

MT/WKCC
Charlotte/ODU
La Tech/USM

Tech will replace ECU.

MTSU and WKU are better football programs than Tulane and Memphis.

See, you've lost nothing

La Tech could potentially become a fun rivalry for USM, but acting like we (USM) lost nothing with Memphis and Tulane leaving is asinine. I don't see WKU or MTSU bringing the crowd that Memphis brought to USM game (even though it wasn't that many people, they brought more than any other C-USA team). And then Murfreesboro or Bowling Green are nothing like New Orleans.
07-25-2013 01:24 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(07-25-2013 01:20 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

...now it's the crystal ball...you don't have hands do you? ...meaning you get nothing on either end....freddie joe pathetic

Skip was the better hire on the day they were hiring, and that's all that you can really do is make the best hire you can. Can't blame La Tech. Kind of telling that that's where Monken wanted to go though. Skip has already proven he could win at this level. Monken is a gamble. Maybe he ends up being a homerun for you guys, maybe he is worse than Ellis Johnson. No one knows at this point, but if you look around at first time coaches I bet more of them get fired than actually make it 10+ years like Skip.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 01:31 PM by StillJonesing.)
07-25-2013 01:30 PM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

For LaTech perhaps, but Skip wouldn't be a good fit at USM.
FYI, Holtz was 2-3 against USM at ECU.
LaTech got their guy, & we got ours.
Everyone's happy.
07-25-2013 01:35 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

05-mafia

Why would he be bitter? He applied for the La Tech job previously and he applied for the USM job previously...

We just made the right pick this time :) (i can feel it in my Eagleness!)
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 01:53 PM by DaSaintFan.)
07-25-2013 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(07-25-2013 01:19 PM)EagleX Wrote:  it seems like there is this general trend in the la tech fan base (or maybe just this one guy that seems like the entire fan base) that wants to just add water, and poof!, instant rivalry. there is a certain segment in our fan base that wants to believe it, because it makes the conference seem undamaged if we can argue that we traded rival "a" for rival "b".

Dude.. we've bene playing La Tech for HOW many years now? If there's _ONE_ team in C-USA3.0 that you should be able to get excited over it's La Tech... (and that's not knocking the others, but there's a history there.)
07-25-2013 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.