Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches on the hot seat
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Coaches on the hot seat
Here's my list for this year (prominent programs only):

Lane Kiffin - even with reduced scholarships, they should be doing better. A BCS or else Kiffin is toast. (Full disclosure, as a USC fan I'm pulling for his firing.)

Mack Brown - time is really running out for Mack. A win over Oklahoma and BCS bowl will likely save him but I'm betting he gets "Bobby Bowdened" this year.

Kirk Ferentz - how much longer will the fans stand for mediocrity or worse. The work-out scandal has also tarnished his reputation. Good guys can only finish last for so long.

Bo Pelini - the loss (beat down) to Wisconsin hurt this team's mentality badly. BCS or he may be looking for a new job. Frank Solich had a better record at this point in Bo's career.

Dana Holgerson - you hear grumblings about "the mistake". Probably will get by this year, but another season like last and he'll need a Nat'l Championship to survive after 2014.
07-23-2013 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Coaches on the hot seat
I would rate Lane Kiffin #1 but USC might want him to stick around another year to bring in recruits than fire him after the 2014 season. Of course, kiffin will probably land at UNLV or some place for another run before getting throw out of coaching.
07-23-2013 02:02 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Gary Pinkel can survive a mediocre season (at least 6 wins), but he may not survive a bad one.
07-23-2013 02:10 PM
nuftw Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northwestern
(07-23-2013 01:41 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Here's my list for this year (prominent programs only):

Lane Kiffin - even with reduced scholarships, they should be doing better. A BCS or else Kiffin is toast. (Full disclosure, as a USC fan I'm pulling for his firing.)

Mack Brown - time is really running out for Mack. A win over Oklahoma and BCS bowl will likely save him but I'm betting he gets "Bobby Bowdened" this year.

Kirk Ferentz - how much longer will the fans stand for mediocrity or worse. The work-out scandal has also tarnished his reputation. Good guys can only finish last for so long.

Bo Pelini - the loss (beat down) to Wisconsin hurt this team's mentality badly. BCS or he may be looking for a new job. Frank Solich had a better record at this point in Bo's career.

Dana Holgerson - you hear grumblings about "the mistake". Probably will get by this year, but another season like last and he'll need a Nat'l Championship to survive after 2014.

The problem with Ferentz is his absurd buyout. Paying someone $1.5+ million for the next few years to not coach is a lot....
07-23-2013 02:58 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(07-23-2013 02:02 PM)bluesox Wrote:  I would rate Lane Kiffin #1 but USC might want him to stick around another year to bring in recruits than fire him after the 2014 season. Of course, kiffin will probably land at UNLV or some place for another run before getting throw out of coaching.

There are many USC fans who think that Kiffin stays until USC gets its full complement of football scholarships back, and if he's not up to USC standards at that point, then a new coach can come in without being limited by sanctions. Starting with the 2015 season, they can have 85 scholarship players again. For 2013 and 2014, they are still limited to 75.

Also, I'd add Steve Sarkisian to this list. He's already had 4 years at UW and has never been better than 7-6. They're the fourth-best team in the Pac-12 North division. They open this year with Boise at home, and they play Stanford and Oregon back-to-back in October. Sark's seat will be white-hot if the Huskies lose all three of those games.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 05:02 PM by Wedge.)
07-23-2013 04:52 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(07-23-2013 04:52 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-23-2013 02:02 PM)bluesox Wrote:  I would rate Lane Kiffin #1 but USC might want him to stick around another year to bring in recruits than fire him after the 2014 season. Of course, kiffin will probably land at UNLV or some place for another run before getting throw out of coaching.

There are many USC fans who think that Kiffin stays until USC gets its full complement of football scholarships back, and if he's not up to USC standards at that point, then a new coach can come in without being limited by sanctions. Starting with the 2015 season, they can have 85 scholarship players again. For 2013 and 2014, they are still limited to 75.

Also, I'd add Steve Sarkisian to this list. He's already had 4 years at UW and has never been better than 7-6. They're the fourth-best team in the Pac-12 North division. They open this year with Boise at home, and they play Stanford and Oregon back-to-back in October. Sark's seat will be white-hot if the Huskies lose all three of those games.

It's rare to fire a coach without giving him 4 years and usually if he's hired while the team is on probation the contracts will be for 4 years longer than the probation. As much as Kiffen deserves to be fired. I think he's got a few more years.
07-23-2013 05:07 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(07-23-2013 05:07 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(07-23-2013 04:52 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

It's rare to fire a coach without giving him 4 years and usually if he's hired while the team is on probation the contracts will be for 4 years longer than the probation. As much as Kiffen deserves to be fired. I think he's got a few more years.

I'd guess Kiffin has this year and next to try to prove that 2012 was a bad fluke that won't happen again. And if this year is bad for them, Haden will be under a ton of pressure to dump Kiffin this December. Kiffin probably needs 8 wins this year to return next year
07-23-2013 05:22 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
What will happen with Mack Brown if he has another dud season?
07-23-2013 05:55 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I definitely agree that Kiffin and Brown need something special this year or they're gone, Holgerson and Pelini to slightly less of an extent in my opinion. Ferentz will only go if he has a season as bad as last year's, his buyout is huge and canning him if he has a bowl this year might not happen in his situation. Pinkel is starting to lose faith among many Mizzou fans I know, they don't want to become the doormat of the SEC now that Vanderbilt and Ole Miss appear to be moving up.

In the MAC, you can put down Jeff Quinn of Buffalo, last year's four wins was his highest in three seasons so far and they might want some sustained success to coincide with their future stadium renovations and NY rebranding. Also add Ron English, who is 4-32 besides 2011, when he nearly got EMU to a bowl.

Finally, my Miami's Don Treadwell has to be feeling the pressure. Even though he's only in his third year, he took our MAC champion team with a future-NFL QB and went 4-8 for two seasons for a fan base starved for a rebirth of our rich history. He has a new AD to impress now, I say it's bowl or bust for him.
07-23-2013 06:25 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

(07-23-2013 02:58 PM)nuftw Wrote:  
(07-23-2013 01:41 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Here's my list for this year (prominent programs only):

The problem with Ferentz is his absurd buyout. Paying someone $1.5+ million for the next few years to not coach is a lot....

I'm more convinced than ever he is done this year. How long can the alumni watch this program fall apart? Another 7 years? I think not.
09-02-2013 09:39 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

Update after week one.

Ferentz is as good as gone (see above).

I'm adding Mark Richt to the list. I really think he has to run the table to keep his job. The feeling of the Georgia faithful has to be that he is never going to get the job done and he's been given enough time. If they lose to Carolina, he may not finish the season.

Neither Pelini nor Holgerson helped their causes.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 09:43 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
09-02-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I imagine that Bobby Stoops at UK will be on the list in two weeks from now. 07-coffee3
09-02-2013 10:29 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(09-02-2013 09:42 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Update after week one.

I'm adding Mark Richt to the list. I really think he has to run the table to keep his job. The feeling of the Georgia faithful has to be that he is never going to get the job done and he's been given enough time. If they lose to Carolina, he may not finish the season.

Four straight losses to "little brother" Carolina will be too much for UGA fans to stomach. That seat will get hot very quickly if things go bad for them this weekend.
09-02-2013 10:52 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
You've got to add Pasqualoni to the hot seat list.
09-02-2013 01:42 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
He has already been told that he is gone. 07-coffee3
09-02-2013 02:00 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(09-02-2013 10:29 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I imagine that Bobby Stoops at UK will be on the list in two weeks from now. 07-coffee3

Mark Stoops, and no. We knew this season would be a mess from the day he was hired. 2015-16 is when he will be expected to have results. You guys are going to kill us this year.
09-03-2013 10:46 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(09-02-2013 10:52 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Four straight losses to "little brother" Carolina will be too much for UGA fans to stomach. That seat will get hot very quickly if things go bad for them this weekend.

Agreed. He is getting the same rep at "Big Game Bob" at Oklahoma, and that is not going to get any better if he loses to USC at home.
09-03-2013 10:47 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
looking at the Georgia schedule, if they lose to both South Carolina and LSU, I think if they also lose then to one of North Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, or Vandy- he may very well find out after the Vandy game that he's gone. They have a bye before playing Florida and then the last 4 games of the season.
09-03-2013 10:56 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables

He'll have to beat LSU too... I've had Richt on the hot seat for a few years now but he seems to somehow or another stay...
09-03-2013 11:03 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(09-03-2013 11:03 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

He'll have to beat LSU too... I've had Richt on the hot seat for a few years now but he seems to somehow or another stay...

He always does well enough in hot seat years to inspire confidence. Like I said above, he is great except when on the biggest stage. In fairness, though, losing Malcolm Mitchell and having a hobbled Gurley was tough. Gurley was in beast mode up until he got nicked up.
09-03-2013 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.