Heisman

I Root For:
Babcock discusses Nippert renovation
Whit Babcock discusses UC's Nippert Stadium renovation
AD: 'It was not, if you do this, conference realignment will follow'
Jul. 22, 2013
Written by
Bill Koch

Formulating a plan to upgrade Nippert Stadium was one of athletic director Whit Babcock’s top priorities almost from the moment he arrived at the University of Cincinnati after his hiring in October, 2011.

The 35,000-seat stadium, located in the center of campus, lacks premium seating and basic fan amenities, with narrow concourses, as well as limited concession and rest room facilities. Even though Babcock acknowledges that the stadium, which was dedicated in 1924, exudes a certain charm, it didn’t take him long to realize that “we were just way behind the curve on that.”

Twenty months after Babcock was introduced as UC’s athletic director, the school announced on June 25 that the Board of Trustees had approved plans for an $86-million renovation – the first for Nippert since 1992 - that will increase seating capacity to roughly 40,000, financed by private donations and revenue from premium seating that will be built on the west side of the stadium.

“This facility will give us the ability to double our revenue from the whole rest of the stadium,” Babcock said.

The Nippert Stadium renovation has long been considered crucial to UC’s success not only in football, but in the entire athletics program. When UC was left out of the five major conferences in the most recent wave of realignment, the project assumed greater urgency. Babcock, who was the executive associate AD at Missouri before UC hired him, has been the driving force behind it.

“A lot of things conspired to make this happen,” said Larry Sheakley, one of the top financial supporters of UC football. “Whit has been a huge part of that, plus the fact that some people woke up and saw what was happening in college football and started looking at the landscape and said, ‘We either have got to get in or get out.’ The president (Santa Ono) has done a great job of backing athletics. And the board really stepped up and realized the value of athletics and what they can do for the university.”

As he analyzed the situation, Babcock’s first step was to decide if the Bearcats would be better off financially by moving their games downtown to Paul Brown Stadium rather than spending the money to renovate Nippert. The answer was an unequivocal ‘no’.

“We did surveys and while people liked going to Paul Brown here and there it was overwhelming in favor of Nippert Stadium,” Babcock said. “The financial piece of moving downtown was not a long-term solution. Playing in a 35,000-seat stadium, even without the renovation, was more financially viable than moving downtown.”

Babcock, who emphasized that the project has been very much a team effort from across the university community, began with a request to see if any plans had been done for Nippert before his arrival. There were several versions, including one that would increase seating capacity to 50,000 or 60,000 but would be much more costly. Babcock zeroed in on the one that focused on the west side of the stadium, next to Tangeman University Center, because it was significantly less expensive than the other options while still fitting the school’s needs.

“I was really pleased when I asked if anyone had looked at that and they said, ‘We’ve done study after study after study,’ ” Babcock said. “It had either never been pursued or they just never found a model that worked. I just took a small piece of that study and said, ‘Let’s lock in on this.’

“There’s a lot of people to study. You don’t have to be the smartest person to figure it out. Kansas State is a project that we looked at a lot. Missouri is doing some stuff, so obviously I had some relationships there. It doesn’t take much to call some people and ask them, what did you price (premium seats) at? What sold and what problems did you have?”

Details of the financing aren’t final yet, but Babcock said the school has determined that the new seating will generate enough money to pay off the annual debt and to generate a profit beyond that.

“We know we’re on the plus side,” Babcock said. “Now let’s keep going. We’re not borrowing $86 million to break even.”

The new pavilion will have three levels – a club level, a suite level and a press level that will also include suites and coaches boxes. Naming rights will be sold for each level. UC already has commitments for the suites and loge boxes, but has yet to begin its push to sell approximately 1,500 club seats.

The original plans called for 23 suites at an annual cost of $40,000 or $50,000 per year, but UC’s research showed that Virginia Tech succeeded by building larger suites near the 50-yard line and charging $100,000. So the design was changed to include 18 suites at the higher cost. Instead of producing $920,000 a year, they will produce $1.8 million.

The new construction will also include patio suites - outdoor loge boxes with four or eight seats. The price for those is still being adjusted, but Babcock said the response has been encouraging.

In addition to the cost of the premium seating, UC also asked donors to make philanthropic gifts and so far has about $10 million in commitments, according to Babcock.

“There are people coming out of the woodwork that necessarily did not want to go out and sit in Nippert Stadium because the seating was pretty uncomfortable,” Sheakley said. “I have and continue to have an awful lot of people ask me questions because they know I’m close to the program. I do try to pitch it to people who I think will step up.”

The east side of the stadium will not receive premium seating, but will undergo a facelift in an attempt to improve the fan experience.

“It was really the board and the president who said if we’re going to do the west side we ought to do some work on the east side as well,” Babcock said. “They had the vision for that. The east side was not on my radar.”

When fans exit the upper deck on the east side, they’ll still have the option of walking down to the present concourse area as they do now, but after the renovation they’ll have the additional option of walking across a bridge to a brick plaza that will be located inside the stadium boundary.

The Sheakley Lawn, currently located outside the stadium, will become part of the stadium footprint and will be used for fan activities before the game. A wrought-iron fence will extend to the left field wall of Marge Schott Stadium so the east side concourse can be expanded. New concession spaces will be carved into the Varsity Village parking garage.

The project has been on a fast track, with the first detailed drawings produced last December. From December through June, UC officials met with key contributors to gauge the level of support.

“They answered the bell,” Babcock said.

There are no plans to replace the existing bleacher seats with chair back seats, but Babcock said he would not rule that out in the future.

“It’s something that we’re looking at,” Babcock said. “We’re looking at maybe starting on the press box side because the club seats will overhang some of the lower bowl, so you could put chair back seating maybe under that overhang and work on some revenue there.

“But I don’t think you put chair back seating all throughout your student seating. We like to pack them in there and they like to stand. But sideline seats down the road could be chair back. That’s something we would look at. It might lower your capacity but you could charge more per seat that way. And it’s a lot more comfortable.”

The renovation, Babcock said, is not solely a response to conference realignment but if there is more movement, UC will likely be better positioned from a facilities standpoint than it was the last time.

“I’m really sincere when I say that’s a good project financially because it’s a good project financially,” Babcock said. “Whatever league we would be in, the recommendation wouldn’t have changed.

“I do think with all the conference realignment churning so fast it enabled us to have a sense of urgency that we’ve got to do something different, but it was not, if you do this, conference realignment will follow. What we can do with our stadium ideally is to change our financial model, make it a tougher place to play, generate some revenue and build up all of our sports and start being really competitive across the board.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...ck_check=1

07-23-2013 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Babcock discusses Nippert renovation
Great piece by Koch.

Babcock gets it and I believe our BOT finally get it. Hopefully we have not waited to long before crashing the party.

07-23-2013 09:33 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-23-2013 09:33 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Great piece by Koch.

Babcock gets it and I believe our BOT finally get it. Hopefully we have not waited to long before crashing the party.

Agree with you on all counts. A "wait and see" posture at this point would have assured a second tier future for athletics; with this underway UC continues to demonstrate the will (and ability) to compete at the highest level. Now let's go get another 10+ win season and keep building.

07-23-2013 10:08 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I was interested in the comments from Sheakley. Seems the BOT and top levels of the UNiv are finally getting it. Also, happy to hear those who were not coming out before are now, due to the premium seating. Sheakley pitching the seating to others is fantastic.

07-23-2013 10:26 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(07-23-2013 10:26 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  I was interested in the comments from Sheakley. Seems the BOT and top levels of the UNiv are finally getting it. Also, happy to hear those who were not coming out before are now, due to the premium seating. Sheakley pitching the seating to others is fantastic.

He confirms what I've always believed. Even though we had a 35,000 seat stadium we didn't have a stadium with the facilities to handle 35,000 people. As someone whose tickets are on the east side I'm really excited to see them improving the problems on that side of the facility.

07-23-2013 11:23 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
And there are people, with ties to UC who have money, that don't want to sit next to joe six pack.
That is fine.

07-23-2013 11:33 AM
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Looks like UC may have a chance at a pominent opponent to open the new stadium.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports...eder&_r=1&

Quote:In January, Bob Arkeilpane, the deputy athletic director at Cincinnati, sent an e-mail to an ESPN executive, Dave Brown. Mr. Arkeilpane explained in the message, which was obtained by The Times, that Cincinnati would be opening a new premium seating area and press box in 2015 and needed a top-tier opponent.

Mr. Brown, who is well known for his thick Rolodex, wrote back that morning, “Will do — let me look and see what’s out there for ’15.”

08-26-2013 12:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
(07-23-2013 11:33 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  And there are people, with ties to UC who have money, that don't want to sit next to joe six pack.
That is fine.

If I had the money, I'd much rather sit in a luxury box with all the extras that you get with Reds/Bengals games. My seats are good. But when I think back to the Pitt game from last year, it got a little hot and fragrent in section 210.

08-26-2013 03:10 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(08-26-2013 12:20 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Looks like UC may have a chance at a pominent opponent to open the new stadium.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports...eder&_r=1&

Quote:In January, Bob Arkeilpane, the deputy athletic director at Cincinnati, sent an e-mail to an ESPN executive, Dave Brown. Mr. Arkeilpane explained in the message, which was obtained by The Times, that Cincinnati would be opening a new premium seating area and press box in 2015 and needed a top-tier opponent.

Mr. Brown, who is well known for his thick Rolodex, wrote back that morning, “Will do — let me look and see what’s out there for ’15.”

Sounds intriguing. Would be great to have a BCS opponent to open up the stadium, no matter who it is. Didn't ESPN broker the deal with us and Illinois in order to re-schedule our home game with VT (so they could schedule VT to play another OOC team)?

08-26-2013 03:59 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Anything would be better than Alabama A&M ...even a MAC team .

http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/02/cinci...schedules/

The Cincinnati Bearcats will host Alabama A&M at Nippert Stadium on Sept. 5, 2015, FBSchedules.com confirmed with the UC athletic department. A&M and Cincinnati have also never met on the gridiron.

08-26-2013 04:17 PM
FenderStratCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
(07-23-2013 09:33 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Great piece by Koch.

There's something you don't hear everyday.

08-26-2013 04:54 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

If anyone is interested to the podcast of the Dude's show with Whit,
http://smcradio.com/the-spin-zone-82713/

Whit did mention that Nippert could go to 50,000 seats, it is possible to do that.
I think if we got the right invite soon that would happen.

09-03-2013 11:04 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(09-03-2013 11:04 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  If anyone is interested to the podcast of the Dude's show with Whit,

Whit did mention that Nippert could go to 50,000 seats, it is possible to do that.

That would mean extending the second deck vertically on either side, with a more processed angle on the Shank side of things.

09-03-2013 11:15 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(09-03-2013 11:15 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 11:04 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  If anyone is interested to the podcast of the Dude's show with Whit,

That would mean extending the second deck vertically on either side, with a more processed angle on the Shank side of things.

And/ or possibly wrapping the upper deck around the top of the student section?

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 11:16 AM by bearcatfan.)
09-03-2013 11:16 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(09-03-2013 11:16 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 11:15 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

And/ or possibly wrapping the upper deck around the top of the student section?

That too...but to be honest, that has been met with staunch opposition by a lot of people at the university. Not entirely sure why, but that's the case. Heck, if the renovation as is brings it up to 40k, I could see expanding the western deck and reconstructing the Shank Pavilion would be enough to raise the capacity.

09-03-2013 12:10 PM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

Ono is a marketer, first and foremost. If any President understands the value big-time athletics brings to a university in terms of branding and awareness, it's him.

If it takes ruffling the feathers of some academics to get the upper-bowl completed in order to secure access to a better conference, I'm fairly confident he'll do it.

09-03-2013 12:13 PM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I don't see any reason to expand past 40k unless Cincinnati can sellout Nippert Stadium for every home game for 2-3 consecutive years. Otherwise 40k is perfectly acceptable, especially when a packed Nippert has the environment of a stadium twice its size.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 12:18 PM by cinbinsportsfan.)
09-03-2013 12:17 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(09-03-2013 12:13 PM)#41 Wrote:  Ono is a marketer, first and foremost. If any President understands the value big-time athletics brings to a university in terms of branding and awareness, it's him.

If it takes ruffling the feathers of some academics to get the upper-bowl completed in order to secure access to a better conference, I'm fairly confident he'll do it.

Surprisingly its not the academics that are worried. A lot of alumni like the fact that they've got that iconic building on the back side, and the athletic department is worried that no one would want to sit there. While I'd be all for closing it up IF WE CAN FILL IT, I can understand their side of things too...it would look pretty ugly and make a cave-like atmosphere around the stadium. That being said...MAN would that stadium be loud if we did it. Most stadiums go out, ours HAS to go up...crazy dynamic to think of.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 12:28 PM by BearcatMan.)
09-03-2013 12:27 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(09-03-2013 12:17 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  I don't see any reason to expand past 40k unless Cincinnati can sellout Nippert Stadium for every home game for 2-3 consecutive years. Otherwise 40k is perfectly acceptable, especially when a packed Nippert has the environment of a stadium twice its size.

Reason #1
Hey Whit it is the Big 12 calling, hey we would love to have you UC, can you get Nippert to 50K?

09-03-2013 12:28 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2013 12:28 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 12:17 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  I don't see any reason to expand past 40k unless Cincinnati can sellout Nippert Stadium for every home game for 2-3 consecutive years. Otherwise 40k is perfectly acceptable, especially when a packed Nippert has the environment of a stadium twice its size.

Reason #1
Hey Whit it is the Big 12 calling, hey we would love to have you UC, can you get Nippert to 50K?

Haha good point.

09-03-2013 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.