Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CLay Travis Tweets: Kentucky vs WKU (Petrino) will be on ESPNews
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 13m
Kentucky -- Western Kentucky will be a 6 pm ct kickoff at Nashville's LP Field. Televised on ESPNNews.

Travis doesn't say where he got this, but if true, this is another datapoint that ESPN sees ESPNNews as a possible option for live games.

Which is of interest to the AAC folks, who have a contract for ESPN to televise at least 22 football games on ESPN/2/U/ABC and 90% of their football games on national channels in at least 74M homes.
07-15-2013 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Online
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: CLay Travis Tweets: Kentucky vs WKU (Petrino) will be on ESPNews
I really find myself more and more wanting to see the actual contract language of this AAC/ESPN deal because I keep getting the vibe that ESPN's meaning of "exposure" runs the gamut of all their Networks in the family and not the Main ones of ESPN / ESPN2.
07-15-2013 11:44 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
#unprecedentedexposure

#unprecedentednationalexposure

#Americanpunck'd

Here's a preview of the 2014 ESPN hashtags.
07-15-2013 11:57 AM
johnbragg Offline

(07-15-2013 11:57 AM)Blackhawk-eye Wrote:  #unprecedentedexposure

#unprecedentednationalexposure

#Americanpunck'd

Here's a preview of the 2014 ESPN hashtags.

In the AAC's defense, having all of their football games on national basic-cable networks IS technically something no conference has ever had before.

The Big Ten obviously doesn't--BTN isn't on basic cable in most of the country. The Big 12, SEC and ACC all have games syndicated on local TV or regional cable. The PAC-10/12 didn't have all of their games on national cable.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas...agreement/
Commencing in 2014-15, football, basketball and other sports will be under one agreement through 2019-20 granting ESPN rights to all conference contests (not included in CBS’s basketball rights package) including at least 66 football games and 170 men’s basketball games which will be made available annually across ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, ESPNU, ESPNEWS and ESPN3, and via limited regional and national sublicense.

That specifically mentions ESPN3 getting games. It also says "limited regional and national sublicense."

1. What does "limited" mean in that context?
2. "Regional" sublicense? Not sure how that fits with the 74M number.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/i...ights-deal
Nearly 90 percent of the games will be carried on national broadcast or national cable.
The minimum number of telecasts collectively on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be higher than the number of telecasts in the current contract, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.

So that means that the AAC, a lower-FBS conference, will be getting more ESPN/2/U/ABC exposure for football than the Old Big East did.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...mmissioner
CBSSports.com: Can you expound on the details of TV for college basketball and football? You've said 113 basketball games will be part of the ESPN package. Are some/a lot of those games cloaked in going to ESPN3, or will nearly all be on television?

MA: All 113 will be on TV, though some of them can be sublicensed to networks that have, for instance, over 74 million homes. They'll do a deal perhaps with other networks. In football, 58 out of 66 this year, and will be more in future years. Only a handful of football games will be on ESPN3 or regionals.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 12:14 PM by johnbragg.)
07-15-2013 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

Thanks for the link, it helped me come up with a 4th hashtag!

#extraordinaryexposure
07-15-2013 12:15 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
ESPNews is technically in about as many homes as ESPNU, but that's just not a place people are currently used to checking to find games. That would be better than ESPN3 exclusives, but not a ton.
07-15-2013 12:36 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

All kidding aside, many of the teams in the new AAC will be on TV more than they ever were in CUSA. So from that standpoint it is unprecedented.

ESPNU, ESPN3, ESPNNews is better than CBSSN.
07-15-2013 12:37 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(07-15-2013 12:37 PM)Blackhawk-eye Wrote:  All kidding aside, many of the teams in the new AAC will be on TV more than they ever were in CUSA. So from that standpoint it is unprecedented.

3 isn't better. I know people will try to argue that more people have access to it than CBSSN but I'd be willing to bet 2/3 of the people that have access to it either don't know they do or have never used it.
07-15-2013 12:42 PM
johnbragg Offline

(07-15-2013 12:36 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  ESPNews is technically in about as many homes as ESPNU, but that's just not a place people are currently used to checking to find games. That would be better than ESPN3 exclusives, but not a ton.

So for the money ESPN is paying you guys, they get a way to increase the value and viewership of ESPN News. Run games at 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm Eastern, 2 AAC, 1 MAC, 1 Sun Belt, and the ratings will be better than they are for SportsCenter reruns or whatever ESPNews does now. Over time, this helps move ESPNews closer on the dial to the Mothership--ESPN 401, ESPN 2 402, ESPN-U 403, ESPNews 404

(I'm not trying to get into whether the AAC is interchangeable with the MAC and Sun Belt, just thinking about what ESPN already owns that they could show.)
07-15-2013 12:47 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

(07-15-2013 12:42 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 12:37 PM)Blackhawk-eye Wrote:  All kidding aside, many of the teams in the new AAC will be on TV more than they ever were in CUSA. So from that standpoint it is unprecedented.

3 isn't better. I know people will try to argue that more people have access to it than CBSSN but I'd be willing to bet 2/3 of the people that have access to it either don't know they do or have never used it.

The 1/3 of the people who do know about ESPN3 probably still outnumber CBSSN viewers. I also expect ESPN will cross advertise its games so more people know about ESPN3 game times.

Heck, didn't Kansas sign a fairly large (larger than AAC teams get) ESPN3 deal for bball and other Olympic sports?

ESPN3 > CBSSN.
07-15-2013 01:00 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

(07-15-2013 01:00 PM)Blackhawk-eye Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 12:42 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

The 1/3 of the people who do know about ESPN3 probably still outnumber CBSSN viewers. I also expect ESPN will cross advertise its games so more people know about ESPN3 game times.

Heck, didn't Kansas sign a fairly large (larger than AAC teams get) ESPN3 deal for bball and other Olympic sports?

ESPN3 > CBSSN.

"We have more viewers in an average minute on ESPN Mobile than they have on NBC Sports Network." He repeated for emphasis: "On ESPN Mobile."--ESPN President John Skipper
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...eQ6UI3XpbY

And that's NBC-SN, which is on basic cable.

The advantage of CBS-SN over ESPN3 is generational. It's easier for most people to order a new channel than it is to get their big TV rigged up to show online content. Especially for folks too old to own an Xbox.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 01:14 PM by johnbragg.)
07-15-2013 01:12 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I think ESPN made a huge mistake by rebranding ESPN 360 to ESPN 3. I bet they would love to flip ESPNews to ESPN 3, especially since ESPNews has taken to showing things like Sports Nation and Numbers Never Lie.
07-15-2013 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Offline

(07-15-2013 05:33 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  I think ESPN made a huge mistake by rebranding ESPN 360 to ESPN 3. I bet they would love to flip ESPNews to ESPN 3, especially since ESPNews has taken to showing things like Sports Nation and Numbers Never Lie.

I agree. ESPN360 made a bit of sense as the name of the internet product--360, all around a circle, watch the product anywhere, anytime. ESPN3 should be the name for the next ESPN channel down the dial from ESPN2.
07-15-2013 05:50 PM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Agree. ESPN360 was a better name. ESPN News is becoming ESPN3. It doesn't have news shows anymore except in certain times, and it is usually a repurposed SC hosted by 3rd rate guys.
07-15-2013 08:49 PM
WPDAWG08 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
Clay Travis is a dumb*** but I like 3HL
07-15-2013 11:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.