big east was the most under rated conference of all time
-7 consecutive years with a winning bowl record

-had a winning bowl record in 10 of the last 13 years

-had a losing bowl record......
only 3 times in the last 15 years
only 4 times in the last 18 years
and a total of 6 times in the conference 22 years of existence

-56-42 bowl record (.571)

-big east has a winning record in bowl games vs 8 out of the 9 conferences they have ever faced (b10, b12, sec, acc, c-usa, mac, mwc, & swc)

-winning record vs the b12 & sec (all-time)

-winning bcs record (all-time)

-winning bcs record since the departures of Vtech, miami, & BC

-had 4 programs on the top 20 all time wins list
#14 wvu
#15 syracuse
#16 vtech
#20 pitt

last season
went 4-1 vs the sec
winning record vs bcs teams
had a losing record against only the pac12 & b10
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 10:28 PM by john01992.)
07-12-2013 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: big east was the most under rated conference of all time
07-12-2013 10:04 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(07-12-2013 10:04 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/bigeast.shtml

thats the same site i used LOL
07-12-2013 10:19 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 10:19 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 10:04 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/bigeast.shtml

thats the same site i used LOL

I was just trying to give a reference.
07-12-2013 10:25 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
12 of the victories against the SEC came against Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

That aside I agree with the OP that the Big East was greatly underrated for the vast majority of its existence and in it's prime was without question the equal of, or the better of, the other power conferences.
07-12-2013 11:02 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 11:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  12 of the victories against the SEC came against Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

That aside I agree with the OP that the Big East was greatly underrated for the vast majority of its existence and in it's prime was without question the equal of, or the better of, the other power conferences.

What was the main cause of its demise?
07-12-2013 11:03 PM
Advertisement

slowknight Offline
Banned

I Root For: rutgers
Its easy to win bowls when you're #2 or 3 Big least Team is playing the #7 or 8 SEC team.
07-12-2013 11:04 PM
john01992 Offline

(07-12-2013 11:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  12 of the victories against the SEC came against Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

8 of the victories came against florida, alabama, & georgia.......it works both ways
07-12-2013 11:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-12-2013 11:04 PM)slowknight Wrote:  Its easy to win bowls when you're #2 or 3 Big least Team is playing the #7 or 8 SEC team.

Yeah, that's why they played Kentucky and Vanderbilt and Mississippi State so many times. That and Kentucky plays Louisville regularly now.
07-12-2013 11:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-12-2013 11:05 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

8 of the victories came against florida, alabama, & georgia.......it works both ways

True and you left out a couple of wins over Auburn there too, but in those games your best was playing our best. But I meant what I said they were terribly underrated for the quality of ball that their upper tier played.
07-12-2013 11:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-12-2013 11:03 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

There may be many different answers to that question. Some might think they should have raided the ACC before the ACC raided them, but I think it was the Big 10's winning of Penn State that helped to start their slide. Had Paterno thrown in with the Big East I think they would still be a great conference today. But in life it is always what it is, not what it could have been.
07-12-2013 11:15 PM
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 11:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

There may be many different answers to that question. Some might think they should have raided the ACC before the ACC raided them, but I think it was the Big 10's winning of Penn State that helped to start their slide. Had Paterno thrown in with the Big East I think they would still be a great conference today. But in life it is always what it is, not what it could have been.

Yeah I imagine Penn State was a loss they couldn't recover from.
07-12-2013 11:22 PM
john01992 Offline

(07-12-2013 11:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:04 PM)slowknight Wrote:  Its easy to win bowls when you're #2 or 3 Big least Team is playing the #7 or 8 SEC team.

Yeah, that's why they played Kentucky and Vanderbilt and Mississippi State so many times. That and Kentucky plays Louisville regularly now.

sec has 14 teams. the big east has 8 teams......

if they went 1 vs 1, 5 vs 5, etc. they would get killed
07-12-2013 11:24 PM
john01992 Offline

oh lets see,

1. having basketball schools & football schools with conflicting interests

2. letting one school (with a huge ego) run the show

3. rejecting penn state

4. the basketball schools telling miami to stick it

5. turning down a billion dollar tv contract
07-12-2013 11:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-12-2013 11:22 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

Yeah I imagine Penn State was a loss they couldn't recover from.

Well Penn State was an independent they hoped to land and indeed there had been long term discussions along those lines, but Paterno went a different direction. There are many Big East guys on the board that know the fine details of that story a lot better than I do. You ought to ask Brista 21 or Omniorange about that.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 11:31 PM by JRsec.)
07-12-2013 11:30 PM
john01992 Offline

paterno was all in on the big east. what stopped that from happening was Providence. but even if they joined the BE things would have been interesting. miami, bc, cuse & pitt all fell right off the charts after psu was lost. (northeast football died when psu started looking west) plus you have the possibility that after psu, the BE could have nabbed fsu & nd

psu is like texas, there is a lot of ego/demanding special treatment that comes with that school, had they been in the BE who knows how that conference would have turned out
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 11:38 PM by john01992.)
07-12-2013 11:37 PM
Advertisement

Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(07-12-2013 11:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

oh lets see,

3. rejecting penn state

wasn't Pitt's chancellor in charge of negotiating the last TV contract; didn't he advise the BE to reject it right before Pitt, and Syracuse, announced they were leaving for the ACC?

is that the TV contract you mean?
07-12-2013 11:41 PM
john01992 Offline

(07-12-2013 11:41 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

oh lets see,

3. rejecting penn state

wasn't Pitt's chancellor in charge of negotiating the last TV contract; didn't he advise the BE to reject it right before Pitt, and Syracuse, announced they were leaving for the ACC?

is that the TV contract you mean?

this was before pitt/cuse left. the 8 football schools voted yes, the 7 basketball schools + notre dame turned it down.

yes thats right.....the deal failed because 8 non football schools voted against it

during the c7 split someone leaked a story about how when they got a 2nd offer the 8 FB schools offered to give 25% of the revenue to the BB schools if they agreed to vote yes. this was proposed during a meeting and an official from one of basketball schools said they should get 75% (of the football revenue) because this was "their basketball conference"

you cant fix that kind of stupid......this conference had some serious issues
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 11:50 PM by john01992.)
07-12-2013 11:49 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(07-12-2013 11:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

paterno was all in on the big east. what stopped that from happening was Providence. but even if they joined the BE things would have been interesting. miami, bc, cuse & pitt all fell right off the charts after psu was lost. (northeast football died when psu started looking west) plus you have the possibility that after psu, the BE could have nabbed fsu & nd

psu is like texas, there is a lot of ego/demanding special treatment that comes with that school, had they been in the BE who knows how that conference would have turned out

What do you mean by "Providence" the school or the conference HQ?
07-13-2013 01:04 AM
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
To follow up on what gosports is saying, Providence the school voted in favor of admitting Penn State in the 80s, while Gavitt was still commissioner. Also, on Paterno's being "all in" on the Big East, Paterno wanted ridiculously unequal unfair benefits for Penn State football.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 01:27 AM by billyjack.)
07-13-2013 01:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.