Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rate the 2009 Recruiting Class
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Here’s another offseason discussion topic. Let’s rate the 2009 recruiting class since they are either done or have one season left. I have developed a four point rating scale with 4 being a great player, 3 being a solid contributor, 2 being incomplete and 1 having no impact. Players who arrived at NIU as walk-ons are in italic. As I look at the number of great players and solid contributors I have to say this was an excellent class. The only area that was a swing and a miss was running back, at all other positions we got good to great players. And the great ones were super great.

4 – Great Players

Perez Ashford – Clutch receiver with great hands. Also a great blocker and better than average punt returner. Will always be remembered for his great sideline catch against Ohio in the 2011 MACC.

Alan Baxter – Was completely off the recruiting radar until he signed with NIU and then became a great player for us. Last I heard he was in camp with New England as a linebacker. I wouldn’t put it past him.

Tyrone Clark – Great player and leader, unfortunately missed his Junior season due to reefer madness (and took Tracy Wilson with him).

Nabal Jefferson – Great four year player at D tackle. Arguably one of our best ever. Renowned for his TD against Kent State. Will be sorely missed.

Jordan Lynch – One of the great ones, nuff said. It would be good for his health to hand off a little more often this fall but that probably won’t happen.

Martel Moore – One of the best receivers ever at NIU. How we sneaked him out of Texas I’ll never know.

Chris Smith – JUCO guy, was a great player at corner for two years.

3 – Solid contributors

Jordan Delegal – Started as a Senior after being a solid special teams guy previously. Did not always know where he was going but went there 100 miles an hour. Always gave great effort but assignment football was not his strong suit. Delegal barely makes it into this category but was a great special teams guy and did start for a season in which we won the MAC.

Sean Evans – Solid backup until he got a few starts late last year. Has a chance to cement his legacy as a starter this fall. Not big but seems to be pretty skilled.

Matt Krempel – Solid player for us with quite a few starts under his belt and looks to start at right tackle this fall. Not an all time great but solid.

Kyle Jenkins – Unselfish contributor. Went over to tight end for awhile and even helped out on O-line in spring ball when we were shorthanded there. Came back from a bad injury and really helped solidify our defense in the second half of 2011 when he became a starter at D end.

Jared Volk – Similar to his classmate Matt Krempel, a good solid player who should start again this fall.

Anthony Wells – Excellent player in the D Tackle rotation, unblockable at times. Could be in line for a monster year this fall.

Jayme Wells – Good slot player, could play a bigger role this fall with the departure of Moore and Ashford. Has not had many balls thrown his way but got good production from those that were.

George Rainey – Tried at LB, then became a solid contributor at DE last year in a limited role. Currently listed as a starter. Seems small for the position, we’ll see how he holds up against the run.

Cameron Bell – Started at FB as a Senior, good blocker. Was fun to watch ramble but did not get many carries. Might have been good in a featured role, we’ll never know.

2 – Incomplete

Zach Anderson – Has the size and seems to have the talent at DT but has been derailed by injuries throughout his career. Has a chance to contribute significantly this year and we need him to.

Devon Butler – Lots of talent but was eventually booted due to repeated screwups of the non-football variety. He could ball but was not the sharpest tool in the shed. Now plays at Western Illinois.

Stephen O’Neal – Has lots of talent but was ineligible last year. We need him to contribute at D End this year. Can and should move up to the Solid Contributor category with a good 2013 season.

Dominique Ware – Mostly a backup to this point but could see more action this fall as a nickel guy. Can play both corner and safety which is nice. Another guy who can move up to Solid Contributor status.

Josh Wilbur – Did his best considering he was punting with a broken foot.

Garrett Barnas – JUCO guy, backup safety for two years.

Barrington Scott – Made some headway on the depth chart at RB, then left to walk on at Ball State in his native Indiana where he eventually got some playing time and did well.

1 – No Impact

Nick Groeniger – JUCO guy who did nothing here.

AJ Hill – One and done, had too weak an arm for this level.

Anthony Johnson – Lots of talent but took those talents to West Texas A&M after being stuck behind others here.

Antoine Kirkland – Did not pan out, left without seeing the field here. Surprising since he looked pretty good on film but a clue may have been when he was passed on the depth chart by walkon Barrington Scott. Kirkland transferred to an FCS school in Alabama and didn’t play there either.

Daniel Rodriguez – Left NIU during his first fall camp, decided he didn’t want to play college football. Too bad because I heard he was quite good. At least he didn’t do a Chase Mejia.

Tommy Coughlin – One and done, now at Whitewater. Did not seem to have a strong enough arm for this level.

Ross Elliott – One and done LB/FB.

Furqan Muhammad – Never played.

Riley O’Toole – One and done WR.

Jon Phillips – One and done DT.

Ryan Salerno – One and done kicker, did not have the success his brother did.

Calvin Smith – One and done FB.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 11:13 AM by NIU1981.)
07-12-2013 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
RE: Rate the 2009 Recruiting Class
I think I would give Bell a 3 instead of a 2. He was the starting FB on the 2011 team. If Delegal gets a 3 I think Bell deserves one.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 11:04 AM by 7.)
07-12-2013 11:04 AM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
(07-12-2013 11:04 AM)7 Wrote:  I think I would give Bell a 3 instead of a 2. He was the starting FB on the 2011 team. If Delegal gets a 3 I think Bell deserves one.

Agreed, I forgot about him starting at FB. Moved him to 3.
07-12-2013 11:14 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

Jerry Kill's last class. Not bad and upcoach by Kill, DD and staff.
07-12-2013 11:30 AM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(07-12-2013 11:30 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  Jerry Kill's last class. Not bad and upcoach by Kill, DD and staff.

2nd to last. You forgot 2010.
07-12-2013 11:38 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
quality class. Jordan Lynch gets a grade 6 out of 4 from me though.
07-12-2013 04:23 PM
HuskieFamily Offline
2nd String

Anyone remember what this class was ranked in the MAC?
07-12-2013 04:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.