Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern set to get first look at Sun Belt
Bookmark and Share
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
Georgia Southern set to get first look at Sun Belt
Good article on Southern's transition to the Sun Belt and how we are dealing with scholarships, upgrading our kicking game and a mention of a QB who transferred from FIU.

Macon Telegraph Wrote:In addition to the incoming freshmen, the Eagles also picked up a new quarterback in Favian Upshaw, who transferred from Florida International after redshirting as a freshman. Upshaw, 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, decided to transfer after head coach Mario Cristobal was fired after last season.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/07/11/2553388_...rylink=cpy

http://www.macon.com/2013/07/11/2553388_...first.html
07-12-2013 08:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: Georgia Southern set to get first look at Sun Belt
good article, I'll have to catch the media day coverage on ESPN3 replay. I can't wait for football season. We have a very good shot at going 10-1 and having a Walter Payton award winner this year. I just hope the defense can improve before we enter the SBC. We will need to do a much better job at covering WR (Appy will be a good barometer). And hopefully we actually have a kicking game this year. That was embarassing for all involved.

Wonder if any FIU fans still around know anything about this transfer, Upshaw? I've seen a little blurb, but wondered if anyone has seen him in practice.
07-12-2013 08:29 AM
Eaglessoar20021 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The GSU Eagles
Here's the profile on Upshaw. Who is the other team mate that is coming with him?
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...zfMIZlhcZDPZB4
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo.../favian-upshaw
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-message-visit

Favian Upshaw wanted to run so bad.

No pass-rush and open lanes to burst through are what the Titusville Astronaut quarterback dreams of.

But in 7-on-7 tournaments, quarterbacks cannot run.

So the rising senior intentionally stayed in the pocket. He didn't even roll out in order to avoid temptation.

Instead, with his feet planted, Upshaw effortlessly delivered a 25-yard pass between two Daytona Beach Mainland defenders in the back of the end zone and hit his receiver right in the chest.

Touchdown.

That was a familiar scene for Upshaw (6-1, 165) during the Battle by the Beach passing tournament in New Smyrna Beach on Friday. He led his team to a 3-1 record on the first day of competition, impressive considering the powerhouse opponents like Cocoa, Miami Booker T. Washington, Dr. Phillips and Winter Park on hand.

What made Upshaw’s performance stand out even more was that he was out of his comfort zone.

“Stuff is all cluttered up so there’s nothing I can do,” said Upshaw, who also said he will be visiting UCF today and/or Thursday.

“I’m a dual threat. I like to run so I have to touch up on my passing while I’m out here. Patience and footwork, I just need to make sure I get that down.”

Upshaw’s first instinct a lot of the time is to run. Understandably so.

He threw for 1,350 yards and 12 touchdowns, and just two interceptions last season, but he also put his 4.5 40-yard dash speed (electronically timed) to good use with 732 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns.

That speed has been a blessing and a curse in Upshaw’s recruitment. Some colleges view him as a terrific option-oriented quarterback, while others feel his athleticism would be better served at a different position.

“The ones that have offered, they want me as a quarterback,” Upshaw said. “Other schools have shown interest but they want me to play corner.”

He added: “I want to play quarterback, so most of the schools that want me to play something else, they’re pretty much ruled out.”
Ads by Google

Georgia Tech, FIU,FAU, Middle Tennessee State and Appalachian State are the schools that have offered Upshaw and all are looking at him as a quarterback.

“I went to FIU last weekend on a visit,” he said. “I liked it a lot. I like Appalachian State too, but I haven’t visited there. I like the offense that they run.”

A spread type of offense seems to suit Upshaw given his relatively slim frame. That’s why Georgia Tech—Upshaw’s lone BCS conference offer—hasn’t separated itself from the other four schools.

“I like that too, but I don’t know if I’m big enough to run the triple option,” Upshaw said with a smile on his face.

Upshaw said he’ll spend the rest of his summer continuing to hone his passing skills in passing tournaments and going to college camps. He also said he’d like to visit a couple more schools, one which is less than an hour from his high school.

“I want to try to get to Appalachian State even though that’s a far stretch,” Upshaw said. “I want to get to FAU before the summer is over and probably UCF too.”

UCF?

“They haven’t offered yet, it’s just high interest,” Upshaw said.

“I was going to go the same week that I went to FIU, but I couldn’t get in contact with Coach (Danny) Barrett, so I’ll probably try again this week or next week.”
07-12-2013 09:02 AM
TOPPERSonTOP Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU TOPS
(07-12-2013 08:09 AM)sidslidkid Wrote:  Good article on Southern's transition to the Sun Belt and how we are dealing with scholarships, upgrading our kicking game and a mention of a QB who transferred from FIU.

Macon Telegraph Wrote:In addition to the incoming freshmen, the Eagles also picked up a new quarterback in Favian Upshaw, who transferred from Florida International after redshirting as a freshman. Upshaw, 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, decided to transfer after head coach Mario Cristobal was fired after last season.

God's gift to football stoops so low to take a player from F_U? I am speechless.
07-12-2013 09:05 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Monken is right. You won't be getting any rings. 05-stirthepot

Cobb said if we "won" the league, we'd get rings and hang a banner. Interesting to see there's a difference, there.
07-12-2013 09:06 AM
Eaglessoar20021 Offline
Water Engineer

03-yawn You mad bro?
(07-12-2013 09:05 AM)TOPPERSonTOP Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 08:09 AM)sidslidkid Wrote:  Good article on Southern's transition to the Sun Belt and how we are dealing with scholarships, upgrading our kicking game and a mention of a QB who transferred from FIU.

God's gift to football stoops so low to take a player from F_U? I am speechless.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 09:10 AM by Eaglessoar20021.)
07-12-2013 09:09 AM
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

We just saved a player from a horrible mistake. 02-13-banana

He was pretty high on Appy. Wondering if they were still interested in him as a QB. Seems like that's the only position he wants to play, but he will definitely have to earn it.
07-12-2013 09:11 AM
GSUsTALON Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga.Southern
The Eagles also picked up a new quarterback in Favian Upshaw, who transferred from Florida International after redshirting as a freshman. Upshaw, 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, decided to transfer after head coach Mario Cristobal was fired after last season.

Since FIU doesnt run the Spread Triple Option I have to wonder why he is looking at Georgia Southern! WE have a very good prospect for QB from Ohio who ran the option in highschool. His weight is not a problem as long as he can take a hit. It would take time to develope him as an option QB and he's already been red shirted.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 09:23 AM by GSUsTALON.)
07-12-2013 09:13 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2013 09:06 AM)AppinVA Wrote:  Monken is right. You won't be getting any rings. 05-stirthepot

Cobb said if we "won" the league, we'd get rings and hang a banner. Interesting to see there's a difference, there.

I could've sworn that our pres. said they would get rings (maybe not a banner) but something for the players. Besides current seniors already have conference championship rings. 04-cheers
Also, we are saving the money for the SBC champs rings in 2014. 05-stirthepot
07-12-2013 09:15 AM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I believe he'll be third string behind Jerick McKinnon and A.J. Ramsby this year. Izzy Youyoute, another decent QB had to be moved to safety because we had too many QB on the roster and needed more speed at safety (we got burned too many times in the backfield last season).
07-12-2013 09:15 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(07-12-2013 09:15 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 09:06 AM)AppinVA Wrote:  Monken is right. You won't be getting any rings. 05-stirthepot

I could've sworn that our pres. said they would get rings (maybe not a banner) but something for the players. Besides current seniors already have conference championship rings. 04-cheers

TK said he would do whatever the team wanted if they win the SoCon.
07-12-2013 09:20 AM
Advertisement

TOPPERSonTOP Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU TOPS
(07-12-2013 09:09 AM)Eaglessoar20021 Wrote:  03-yawn You mad bro?

My angry face: 07-coffee3
07-12-2013 09:35 AM
Eaglessoar20021 Offline
Water Engineer

04-cheers
(07-12-2013 09:35 AM)TOPPERSonTOP Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 09:09 AM)Eaglessoar20021 Wrote:  03-yawn You mad bro?

My angry face: 07-coffee3
07-12-2013 09:46 AM
GoApps70 Offline

Would think Upshaw would be a pretty good QB for GaSo.
Imagine Scott Satterfield was involved in his recruitment to FIU when
he was there as OC. Upshaw redshirted in 2012 and Sat was Assistant
HC at App State in 2012, so must have been involved in recruiting him.
Wonder if he made a push to get him to Boone or not.
Would imagine he is good though.
07-12-2013 12:21 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-12-2013 09:20 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

So when you guys see the Georgia Southern football team pull up in a bunch of Hummer's, well, you know what happened.
07-12-2013 12:26 PM
GSUsTALON Offline
Special Teams

(07-12-2013 12:21 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Would think Upshaw would be a pretty good QB for GaSo.

Maybe so but I think Upshaw would take 2 years to develope him into an option QB & he would have stiff compitition.
07-12-2013 12:30 PM
Advertisement

AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(07-12-2013 12:26 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 09:20 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

So when you guys see the Georgia Southern football team pull up in a bunch of Hummer's, well, you know what happened.

Hummers or no, they've still got to come through Boone this fall. 02-13-banana
07-12-2013 12:35 PM
GSUsTALON Offline
Special Teams

(07-12-2013 12:26 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So when you guys see the Georgia Southern football team pull up in a bunch of Hummer's, well, you know what happened.

GSU fans are acustomed to getting hummers but I doubt that vehicles are in the teams future.COGS
07-12-2013 12:36 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(07-12-2013 12:30 PM)GSUsTALON Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 12:21 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Would think Upshaw would be a pretty good QB for GaSo.

Maybe so but I think Upshaw would take 2 years to develope him into an option QB & he would have stiff compitition.

Since he had already used his redshirt year that might have had something to do with it also. Kind of seems GaSo might use him on defense or WR if he cannot grab hold early.
Best thing about that article is showing you guys got a kicker. Told you he would put that as the top priority just about.
07-12-2013 12:38 PM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

(07-12-2013 12:30 PM)GSUsTALON Wrote:  

Agreed. Seems like everyone around Southern is pretty high on AJ Rambsy. Glad we have options (pun intended). Hopefully it won't take 2 years for him to develop. McKinnon is obviously starting this year so maybe he can get the hang of it and give AJ some competition for the starting gig in 14.
07-12-2013 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.